Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Re: Writers Central

Post by ringswraith »

I think that could lead to some confusion. You'll probably be more consistent if you stuck with third-person omniscient, but only let pertinent thoughts out.

I mean, just because it's TPO doesn't mean everyone's thoughts get heard all the time. :)
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Another idea that many romantic author's use is to have short chapters or chop up the chapters into large sections, and have each chapter one be in one of the character's perspective. You can also do third person omniscient, but only do it from the three perspectives and keep them separate.
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

ringswraith wrote:
I mean, just because it's TPO doesn't mean everyone's thoughts get heard all the time. :)
I agree with Rings on that point. Just because your writing in third person doesn't mean that you have to convey everyone's thoughts to the reader all the time. Which, Amanda Beth, sounds like what you were trying to say too.

Though I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean specifically pertaining to your story, it sounds to me like what you are trying to do is fairly common for stories told in the third person. "Little Children" by Tom Perotta was written in third person, but switched from character to character as the story progressed. First he introduced one, then another, then a third (at which point, I was like- who is this guy? LOL)- but as the story progressed the three seemingly separate story lines merged to tell the greater tale. It was kinda cool because that was the first book I read that I can remember being done like that, or at least, I read it around the time I got back into writing and what he did with the narrative voices really stuck out to me.

In fanfiction, an easy example of what you may be going for is Sebastien Robichaud's style in UofEM. There are statements here and there that are utterly omniscient, but most of the time it's as though you are seeing through the eyes of of one character or another. For a while your with Bella, then Edward, then Peter, or Katherine Picton... but by writing it in third person SR avoided needing to break the flow of the story to point out to the reader who is talking.

Does that make any sense at all?? I hope the examples help and they were accurate-- I'm no expert, just a fellow reader/writer.

(EDIT) I just couldn't resist quoting the one TPO sentence in UofEM that cracked me up and stuck with me all these months later. I apologize to those of you who are not FF readers and have no idea what I'm talking about, but for the rest of you-- my favorite omniscient quote in UofEM is from Chapter 28.
"If one were a detective one would notice that the lady's shoes were missing."

Loved it!!
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

Yeah, the thing I'm struggling with is that sometimes I want both of their thoughts in the same section. :?

I think I'm going to switch it up so you aren't really in the mother's head. I want her to come off a certain way, I would LIKE the readers to see inside her head, but I don't know if her thoughts would be few and far between and seem random.

Without using my text here's an example:
The boy gets hurt and the girl(MC) sits with him, they talk, then they fall asleep. From the mother's POV I want her to walk in and see them, and sneak out not wanting to disturb them. She'll cover for them when people ask where the girl is, but you don't SEE that, the narrator explains it the next morning when she comes in and wakes them up. I really want the readers to know her thoughts behind her actions, because it's not something she would explain in dialogue. Each of these entrances and explanations are only a few sentences long before it goes back to the MC's POV.

Is that wrong?
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Amanda Beth wrote:
The boy gets hurt and the girl(MC) sits with him, they talk, then they fall asleep. From the mother's POV I want her to walk in and see them, and sneak out not wanting to disturb them. She'll cover for them when people ask where the girl is, but you don't SEE that, the narrator explains it the next morning when she comes in and wakes them up. I really want the readers to know her thoughts behind her actions, because it's not something she would explain in dialogue. Each of these entrances and explanations are only a few sentences long before it goes back to the MC's POV.

Is that wrong?
Is there such a thing as wrong when you write creatively? (Outside of the rules of grammar of course, and proper spelling too.) People have different tastes. I would have to say it's probably best to do what feels natural to you though. Honesty in writing is really important.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Amanda Beth wrote:

Is that wrong?
I think it works. If you can step out of 3rd limited for just a moment, like in UofEM, then it would be perfect. Maybe something like:
What she didn't see while they slept peacefully was her mother's figure first standing over them, and then placing a blanket across there sprawled bodies. While (the mother) might not approve of the scene before her, she understood it, and would defend them should the need arise.
Then kick it back in to limited 3rd.
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

That's pretty much how it's written! I didn't know if that was acceptable.

Don't know what I'd do without you guys!!
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

I wanted to let you know about a new Fandom effort. Fandom for Preemies is going to be raising money in November to benefit the March of Dimes.

People donating to the cause will receive a compilation of fanfiction one-shots and outtakes from various authors. Since I will be participating in the effort, a first for me as a writer, I thought I'd spread the word. :-)

Whether you want to donate or contribute, I hope you will give it a look. It is a worthy cause and one many TwiMoms hold near and dear.

From their website: "Donating to Fandom for Preemies is simple. From November 1st through November 30th, you may visit our Virtual Band on the March of Dimes website. Once there, click on Donate in the Name of this Child and post your donation (minimum of $5). Once you have received your confirmation receipt, forward the receipt to us at [email protected] and we will send you the Preemie Compilation."

Donations are not being taken until November 1st, but writer's wanting to contribute can sign up now and have until October 21st to submit their contribution to the group. You can see the list of author's already contributing here. (I'm not on it yet, just submitted my info tonight! ;) )

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope you'll get involved! Hugs, Ginnie
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I um...hehe...came on here because I remembered someone bringing up a program for writers, where you could organize plot points and characters. Anyone remember that...? I'm trying to plan out an original trilogy right now and I want to see if it would help.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

debussygirl wrote:I um...hehe...came on here because I remembered someone bringing up a program for writers, where you could organize plot points and characters. Anyone remember that...? I'm trying to plan out an original trilogy right now and I want to see if it would help.
Yes.. I remember. :D I had to go back about thirty pages or something, but I had asked a similar question months ago. Here was Amanda Beth's response:
Amanda Beth wrote:Yes Virginia May! I actually use a software called Storyist (for Mac only) and it gives you a whole thing to lay out each setting, and each character. You can even put pictures for each place.
http://storyist.com/

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg45 ... ryist1.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg45 ... ryist2.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg45 ... ryist3.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg45 ... ryist4.jpg
To which I replied about any PC compatible software, and AB responded with this:
Amanda Beth wrote:Snowstone, a bunch of the decent looking Storyist-type programs for Windows were super pricey. Maybe this could be helpful?
http://creative-writing-software-review ... views.com/
And this:
Amanda Beth wrote:For anyone still looking for software, I just came across this: http://www.writersstore.com/product.php ... ts_id=4379 No idea if I posted it yet or not.
Hope that helps!! Ginnie