Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: Writers Central

Post by Amanda Beth »

VirginiaMay wrote:Let me ask you this? How many of us have started a story, only to lose steam and never finish it? For me, part of the problem is that I obsess over details.
Although I've gotten writer's block, there was only one story which I had an entire outline for but never found the drive to write so it went into a drawer (well computer folder lol). Other than that, it's only been LAF, TPC and my story now. The story I'm writing now I didn't even WANT to write. Seriously. I was like "no that isn't the kind of book I want to write." And it just festered and festered until I was dreaming about it and then I was like fine I'll write a bit and once I get writer's block I can let it go.

61,000 words later...lol

But yeah, I get it now. Maybe if I was in the earlier stages of the book I could do it since there was more to write. Right now I'm just seeing where it needs to go and if I like the book so far. I had planned on killing a character but I think he wants to live and another one wants to die. They aren't kidding when they say a story writes itself...
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Based on word count, this is something I found about that for kidlit: http://caseylmccormick.blogspot.com/201 ... books.html

So for YA, books usually range from 50,000 to 70,000 words, 80,000-90,000 for sci-fi or fantasy, rarely anything beyond 100,000 words.
So really, NaNoWriMo hits the minimum for YA. With editing and adding details, it could be longer. My goal personally is 2,500 words a day for a 75,000 word book. Hopefully. We'll see how it goes. :)
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

I read a few places where it said 50-70k was the average for YA books also, but if you look at the best sellers list that isn't the norm right now. It's why I'd REALLY like to shoot for 100k. Only 38,271 words to go...
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Quick question:
My story, Coalescence, is to the point that I originally wanted to end it (in 1950 with Alice and Jasper's wedding). However, the story isn't done. I planned to just add about four more chapters to bring the story up to Breaking Dawn, but now I'm not sure.

Reasons for the expanded story: Jasper's story isn't finished yet. He doesn't get to his HEA until Bella teaches him that he CAN be a veggie vamp.

Pros: It is only the addition of a few chapters. It continues the story and so will fit within the original frame.

Cons: the story is at a VERY good place to end it. I will have a hard time topping the last chapter. It really is it's own separate story in a way. Coalescence was about being mated and becoming Cullens. This is Jasper's own journey.

What do you think I should do: continue or make a mini story?
In case you want to see what I mean, here is the link
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

Do a fanfic novella? Some kind of organized one-shots.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Something like that.
Here is my problem. I can end a very coherent story with a series of one shots that show the further development of the characters, or do a 60 to 80 k novella showing it in more detail. I just CAN'T seem to get the one shots right as I try to hook them onto the story. I think I am slowly talking myself into breaking it and making the novella. It is such an integral part of the overall story, but it just doesn't seem to fit within it.
I'm so confused!!
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Openhome wrote:Something like that.
Here is my problem. I can end a very coherent story with a series of one shots that show the further development of the characters, or do a 60 to 80 k novella showing it in more detail. I just CAN'T seem to get the one shots right as I try to hook them onto the story. I think I am slowly talking myself into breaking it and making the novella. It is such an integral part of the overall story, but it just doesn't seem to fit within it.
I'm so confused!!
I think it sounds like you already know what to do. You could somehow can make Jasper's tale into a mega-epilogue. Maybe post-BD, something makes Jasper recall the point in time where Coalescence ends (the wedding or shortly thereafter from the sounds of it. ) and he reflects on his journey from that point forward?? Something like that could make it cohesive with the rest of the story perhaps... but from what you've said, a short side story may be more appropriate. (Especially if you're already leaning that way, as well as considering what a huge chunk of time passes between them joining the Cullens and what happens with Jasper as Bella becomes a part of the family as a vamp.) I'm sure no matter what you do though, your readers will appreciate that you wanted to give Jasper his HEA. Good luck!!
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

How are our NaNoWriMo writers doing?? Updates??

I hit a bit of a block on how to transition in my book so I'm writing the section I know will happen now and will go back and connect them later.
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

No writing at all is taking place in my world right now! :? :D yes...I'm partly perplexed and partly happy. I've fallen in love with a terrific guy. HOWEVER... I can't seem to find the time to balance my time! I know... the new will eventually wear off and I'll be able to focus a little better. Until then, my fanfic writing and my fanfic reading is going to suffer it seems.
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Amanda Beth wrote:How are our NaNoWriMo writers doing?? Updates??

I hit a bit of a block on how to transition in my book so I'm writing the section I know will happen now and will go back and connect them later.
I spoke with Jill yesterday and she was at around 11,000 words- I believe. I've been trying to avoid distracting those who I know are writing during this month. I wish everyone well!! :D