Wild about Harry, the Harry Potter book discussion

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
awesomejen1
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Wild about Harry, the Harry Potter book discussion

Post by awesomejen1 »

StarEmerson wrote:
I would listen to Hermione if she was my friend, she seens to be right alot! I love her charactor. So fiercely loyal to Harry in the last book. And what she did for him with her parents! :cry:
I know! How hard would it be to make your parents forget all about you, even if it was good for them. At least it all worked out and I am sure she un-confunded (is that a word) them. Hermione is really a great friend, even though she can be a bit of a know it all...the truth is she generally does know it all!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~awesomejen
Cool graphic stuff from MRK! Thanks!
Spartan
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Spartan »

It must have been so hard to confund her parents, I think I would have done if I was in her shoes but it would still have been heart-breaking.
RajaniArchana wrote:
luv_edward_cullen wrote:I'm definitely more connected to Harry Potter. It's been part of my childhood and teenage years. PS came out when I was 4 but I've been reading it since I was 7 and it's made such a big impact on my life. I still remember going to book releases and getting excited about watching the movies when they came out. There's no way Twilight could compare to that. I just started reading it last summer. Sure, I was kinda obsessed with it and it is a good book but it just didn't have as big of an impact on me as Harry Potter. The Twilight phase lasted what...3 months or so? HP lasted a whole 10 years. Plus I'm beginning to think Twilight's a little bit overrated. It's a good book and all, don't get me wrong but it's really annoying how all of these little tweenie boppers are always like "ZOMG EDWARD CULLEN'S SO HOTTTT!". If you're gonna read it, read it for the book itself, not the fact that Edward (who is a FICTIONAL character, a concept which is lost on many people..) is hot.
You just said everything I'm thinking <3 A lot of Twilighters have said HP isn't as good as Twilight because I'm like, ""Harry is nerdy, harry isn't strong, harry isn't hot, there's not enough romance, yada, yada." o.O Seriously? HP has a GREAT PLOT. Who cares what Harry looks like?"

besides, I happen to think that a) Edward isn't all that great and b) Harry, in the movies, at least, is ratha' finnnne XD
Sorry to go back to a previous topic but I wanted to say that even though HP has been a massive part of my life for the last 8 years or so I prefer the Twilight series because for me it all finished with DH, It was a good read but I don't like it because it seems so rushed and abrubt. Before that the HP series had been really special and meant something to me but after... imagine a big balloon that had been constantly getting more and more air pumped into it and then someone comes along with a pin and pops it - you're left with just a flimsy piece of rubber. As my friend said it felt like you'd lost a friend. The Twilight Series however I still really Love. I'm not saying I don't like the HP saga any more it just isn't the same for me.

About Edward being Perfect and Harry a geek. I've never felt that Edward was perfect so he isn't what kept me into the series. And Harry being as you put it "Harry is nerdy, harry isn't strong, harry isn't hot, there's not enough romance, yada, yada." It makes it all the more real, J.K Rowling made REAL human characters with plenty of flaws, not that SM didn't make her characters real ( come on Vamps are MEANT to be perfect so she couldn't just change that for 1 Character) but J.K's protagonist is even more human than most of us. And HP was never supposed to be about the romance
* * Sapere Aude * * Jasper is my Edward : D
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

I think HP will always be a special book series for me. I started reading the books after seeing the first 2 movies and I was hooked from then on. I couldn't wait for the each additional book to come out and was sad when JKR decided to stop writing the books.

After reading DH and then the whole series again like 3 more times, I broke down and bought the audiobooks and let me tell you that they have kept my love for HP going.

Between TW and HP, I can't pick a favorite because they are so different. So I think that I will always be an HP fan no matter what the new, in style, fav of the time, etc. books come out.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
awesomejen1
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by awesomejen1 »

skylarblue wrote:I think HP will always be a special book series for me. I started reading the books after seeing the first 2 movies and I was hooked from then on. I couldn't wait for the each additional book to come out and was sad when JKR decided to stop writing the books.

After reading DH and then the whole series again like 3 more times, I broke down and bought the audiobooks and let me tell you that they have kept my love for HP going.

Between TW and HP, I can't pick a favorite because they are so different. So I think that I will always be an HP fan no matter what the new, in style, fav of the time, etc. books come out.
I love the HP books on tape...Sometimes, audio books are pretty bad, but not HP.
I know what you mean by book 7 coming and then its just over. But I guess I was Ok with it because we always knew there would only be 7, and while I'd love to read a little book about the year following book 7, there really wouldn't be a lot more, because it would just be normal life. Rebuilding the wizarding world and Hogwarts could be really cool though.
I am excited for tales from beedle the bard, that will be a fun read.
Jazz<3Jasper
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Jazz<3Jasper »

I totally loved the 7th book. It is amazing how many things you notice though when you go back and re-read a series. There are so many little details woven into the first few that give clues to what happens in the end of the series.
"No problem. You want me to be all doom and gloom, or just shut up?"
"Just shut up."
"Can do."
"Really? Doesn't seem like it."
-Jake and Seth
<333333333
Team Jasper, he can snap at me anyday.
StarEmerson
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by StarEmerson »

Jazz<3Jasper wrote:I totally loved the 7th book. It is amazing how many things you notice though when you go back and re-read a series. There are so many little details woven into the first few that give clues to what happens in the end of the series.
Yes your absolutly right!

When JK used to say she always had them planned out and she knew what was going to happen she wasnt lying!! I noticed when I re read the series for a millionth time, on like the first page of the first book, it mentions Sirius! Hagrid drops baby Harry off and says he has to take Sirius his bike back!

Anyone got an example of other little ones like that?
"Magic Keeps Us Alive"

awesomejen1
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by awesomejen1 »

One thing I love is that Snape always compares Harry to his father...he never once compares him to Lilly. And in book 7, you finally see what that is all about. It's just one of those things that just comes together in the end.
Lynzeee
Decorating with Esme

Post by Lynzeee »

awesomejen1 wrote:One thing I love is that Snape always compares Harry to his father...he never once compares him to Lilly. And in book 7, you finally see what that is all about. It's just one of those things that just comes together in the end.

this was my favorite part in the book- because I always loved Snape, and while he was seriously creepy, and sometimes mean- i knew there was MORE to him then just his hate for harry's dad- i just knew it! and when it was finally out in the open- i was jumping around-- i know i should have known it exactly! it was exciting to read that snape really was the good guy all along and that his love for lily made him that good guy! AWWW i love snape!
Keeper of The Randomness
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"-Acheron Parthenopaeus
Jasper<3
Gone Fishing with Harry

Post by Jasper<3 »

Lynzeee wrote:
awesomejen1 wrote:One thing I love is that Snape always compares Harry to his father...he never once compares him to Lilly. And in book 7, you finally see what that is all about. It's just one of those things that just comes together in the end.

this was my favorite part in the book- because I always loved Snape, and while he was seriously creepy, and sometimes mean- i knew there was MORE to him then just his hate for harry's dad- i just knew it! and when it was finally out in the open- i was jumping around-- i know i should have known it exactly! it was exciting to read that snape really was the good guy all along and that his love for lily made him that good guy! AWWW i love snape!
I love snape, too! I cried when Voldemort killed him and I cried when Harry watched his memories. I thought he was adorable. I can imagine him all too easily wearing his frock coat thing. Awwww. I absolutely love him!

My class played a game the other day, there were a bunch of categories, and one was Harry Potter. Obviously, I picked Harry Potter each time. All the while Mr Lee was looking for harder and harder questions to ask. Everybody thinks im a bigger nerd than usual, because one off my questions was "In the beginning of the book Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, who is the first person Harry and Ron see in Hogwarts" but it was worded better, so you could understand. I was like Filch. Everybody else was like :o . Its easy. Filch saw them and turned them in to Snape(<3).
List, Gnat ♥
awesomejen1
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by awesomejen1 »

I know, I am a total nerd...I mean, I'm 23 and love Harry Potter...my husband, then boyfriend thought I was a total dork when he saw my Harry Potter lego set...But I think, like Twilight, you can pull deeper and different things from HP as you get older. I just think you can appreciate the deeper stuff as you get older, and the meaning is a little more then just a story about a wizard...if that makes any sense at all.