Heavenly Hash--a thread for the "older" Twilight crowd

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Bewitched
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Heavenly Hash--a thread for the "older" Twilight crowd

Post by Bewitched »

New Years Day: Ahh.. Black Eyed Peas. We eat hoppin john and watch football and movies.

I have to tell you a funny story about Black Eyed Peas. It wasn't funny at the time but well, I can take a joke. My son was in the 3rd grade when they started having the kids write in journals. Now, I don't particularly like kids doing that only because sometimes they misconstrue what grownups say and then you've got a lot of questions. Anyway, we got JT's book back at the end of the year and they must have had an assignment to write down things about each family member, likes dislikes, things they do. So I'm reading about how my son likes me to read to him, how I like to take them for walks and how I like black eyed peas and how much he hates them because they make his mom fart! :oops: :roll: Out of the mouths of babes. I'm so glad I didn't have to see that teacher for 3 months.
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Hahahahahahahaha. Oh, Bewitched, you poor thing! I bet your son had no idea why your face was so red either.

I love Jon & Kate too. I like how real they are. They don't put on this "I"m perfect, we're perfect, we're a perfect family" act like other people do. People do get pushed to the end of their ropes and sometimes, like Kate or Jon, they have to push back.

I like the episode where they are answering fan questions, and one person asks how to have multiples. Jon & Kate's reaction was priceless. "You want to do this on purpose? Are you crazy?" Ok...I'm ab-libbing, but it's close.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
LisaCullenAZ
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by LisaCullenAZ »

I haven't watched that show yet! It sounds very good, so I guess I need to get with the times. :D

I can't imagine having that many children, let along all the same age! My sister has twins, and for a while there I was sure she was going to have a breakdown. Those two are almost ten years old now, but when they were babies... WOW.

New Year's Eve/Day: We Italians have to ring in the New Year with lentils. They symbolize good fortune and prosperity in the year to come. My mom usually makes it in a delicious seasoned broth, but this year my brother was in charge of making it. He made what I called "lentil soup mountain-man style" because it was more like a hearty stew. There was sausage and chunks of ham and every veggie on the planet, as well as honey and spices and... oh yeah, the lentils too. :roll: I'm not a sausage fan, so I picked most of them out, but the rest was actually quite amazing and surprising. Everyone went back for seconds and thirds. I gave him the thumbs up for a job well done.

Another fun tradition (I think I mentioned this LAST year around this time) is the Epiphany. Yesterday was the Epiphany, did anyone do anything for it? La Befana comes around and leaves treats in the children's shoes. She's looking for the Christ child (she's obviously late) but doesn't know where to find him, and so she covers her bases by giving to EVERY child. Fun stuff!
...masterpiece created by Chaos. Thank you!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

LisaCullenAZ wrote:Another fun tradition (I think I mentioned this LAST year around this time) is the Epiphany. Yesterday was the Epiphany, did anyone do anything for it? La Befana comes around and leaves treats in the children's shoes. She's looking for the Christ child (she's obviously late) but doesn't know where to find him, and so she covers her bases by giving to EVERY child. Fun stuff!
We observe it at our church service, but I haven't heard of this tradition. That's really cool, it is based in the Italian culture?
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Wingtear
Playing Thunderball

Post by Wingtear »

Hi ladies.
I'm back from my absence. I have no idea of what you talk about now (is there any topic?) but I'm sure someone will fill me in ;) (pretty please?)
As for pictures... here you go!
please note that that ^ is three different links, PM me if they don't work, they should though...
Banner and avatar by the amazing MRK
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

Those are fun Wingtear. You look beautiful on your wedding day. I love the pic of you two coming out of the doorway and kissing. It is perfect. Love it!
by Laniyeah on photobucket
LisaCullenAZ
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by LisaCullenAZ »

Yep, Una... it's Italian. Although there are different variations all through Europe, I understand. Germany has a guy who does it in early December, I think. But La Befana is always late so she never comes until January. The story is that the La Befana gets asked by the Wise Men for directions to where the baby Jesus is, but she doesn't know. She's supposed to be this great housekeeper, a warm hostess bent on a clean home and good housework, etc. So she let's them stay for a night and takes care of them before they go further. They invite her to join them on the journey to find the baby Jesus, but she says she can't because she's always way too busy with her housework. Later, she gets this dawning realization of what really matters, and she has this change of heart -- her Epiphany -- and so she tries to catch up to the Wise Men and to find the baby Jesus. But she's too late. So to this day she just keeps searching for the Christ child, door to door, leaving candy to all the good children just in case :) Another part of the legend, at least the one I remember as a child, is that while she's in your house during the night she'll sweep the house for you, ever the good housekeeper. I don't usually keep that part up when I do it for my kids, because I never feel like sweeping in the middle of the night ;) Also, I guess like Santa, she can leave coal for the bad children. I think they might have it in the States now, but when I was little we could only get it if our uncles sent it from Italy... but there were these candy chunks of coal that were made out of sugar. They tasted like sugar cubes, to be honest, except that they disolved super fast. Like hard-as-a-rock cotton candy, kinda. They would paint your mouth black if you sucked them too much (from all the crazy food coloring they use to make it look like real charcoal!) but we used to love getting that. It was funny.

Wingtear, welcome back! I LOVE the bride and groom on top of your cake, that's hilarious! :D
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Post by twilightmom »

Wingtear, thank you for sharing those photos. What an amazing time, so it looks. And to think, you were only a few hours from me while you were in NYC! I love the cake topper. Did that have anything to do with your martial arts training? :lol: Congrats!

I don't think we have a current topic. We were discussing New Years, but that's so last week. Any new topics?
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

We haven't Twilightized movies in a very long time...ok before Christmas anyway. We were doing really good for a while and then it dropped off. How about we go back to Twilightizing inanimate objects? Nima is the best at this?

I'll do an example.

Twilightize: dry erase marker
Mr. Banner uses a smelly grape dry erase marker when he writes the Biology assignments on the board.
Emmett likes the smell of the red dry erase marker, but the green one makes him want to hurl.
Angela carried multi-colored dry erase markers in her backpack.

The next person will Twilightize --> black sneakers and then give a new word for the next person and so on. You don't have to do more than 1 line, but why not. They're fun.

Oh! Your entire post cannot be just the Twilightize. It must be a legitimate post. :D Have fun!
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
LisaCullenAZ
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by LisaCullenAZ »

Twilightmom, it's been forever since I've been on here, so I was SOOO happy to see your Avatar avie again. All things Appa just make my heart happy. :D

One of these days I think I may copy you and get an Avatar avie as well. Maybe Zuko. 8-)

Black sneakers:

Jacob gets black sneakers after he rips up the white ones during his last phasing episode.
Edward runs so fast he burns through his sneakers faster than Newton's sporting goods can stock them.
Alice disapproves of Bella's generic brand black sneakers and tries to get her to wear THIS Tommy Hilfiger Cullen pair.

Twilightize: Fruit Punch