What are you reading?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Re: What are you reading?

Post by debussygirl »

dandyvampgirl_13 wrote:^^I don't know how people could not like Shakespeare. I think Romeo and Juliet is beautiful, though I may be a bit biased. I just adore tragic tales where everyone dies. Hamlet's tragic too, for that matter.
I just hate Romeo and Juliet because they all act like complete and total idiots. It's so unromantic to me, the only reason Romeo marries Juliet is because she won't sleep with him until they're married and then he kills her cousin and runs off and she's acting crazy for a guy she's know for two days. It would be way more romantic if they had known each other over the course of at least a few months. Plus, Romeo is also so unstable because before he loved that other girl (I think her name was Rosaline or something?) and all of the sudden "poof!" he loves Juliet. If they had lived, he could have totally fallen for some other girl the next day. But we've read two other Shakespeare plays, Taming of the Shrew (which was okay to me) and Othello (which I found truly fascinating).
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
i am bella
Often Mistaken for a Bear
Location: wherever it's raining .::. #9 .::. woiloping with sarah

Post by i am bella »

i just started the third gallagher girls book by ally carter, dont judge a girl by her cover
i read the other two in 7th grade i think, but the third one just came out in june and i had too many books for school and i had to finish breaking dawn so i couldnt read it earlier
so far, its really good, im about 3 chapters in, although the chapters are about 5 pages long :lol:
ImageImage
~sam~piercing/tattoo expert~sarah=twinny~im on the listv2!~
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

Just finished Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

Thank you Naureen!!
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

Jenna, you sound a bit like Edward!
I'm okay with them falling in love fast. Its like imprinting, like Sam and Emily and Leah(curse my having to use Twilight references!). Also, since Rosalind hadn't returned his love, it was pretty okay for him to give up on her and switch to Juliet. I'm also fine with the speed because they die. Dying makes everything better, even if its sad.
Yeah, I'm a bit sadistic, but its not like I don't cry over the dead people! Its simply a justifiable death (unlike Fred.) that are the good ones.
The Twelfth Night is my favorite Shakespearen play. Mostly the reason why I'm named Viola. :D

In Farenheit, Mormons are mentioned in passing in a list of minorites. It the authors comments he says something about, "If the Mormons don't like my plays, then let them write their own!" which I laughed at. We're not that intolerant, right?

I'm still on Dracula, and I got The Time Paradox in the Artemis Fowl series. Need to read that too.
best_beating_heart
Frozen in Time

Post by best_beating_heart »

I have only ever read one Shakespeare play, which was King Lear, for my Honors English class.
I have to admit, I enjoyed it, since it was a lot better than the book we had to read before was Charles Dickens' Great Expectations, which I HATED with all of my life.
It was a horrible book, and I loathed the main character Pip. He was so stupid, I just wanted to slap him.

TM~Maria Dina Corozzo
Teams:Alice, Emmett, Esme, Renesmee, Volturi~Athenodora, JCA~Aubrey Santi~SC
jonsgirljen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by jonsgirljen »

Currently I'm re-reading the Lucky Santangelo series written by Jackie Collins. I actually wanted to read the Twilight series again before the New Moon movie comes out, but I lent it to a girl at work so we'll see how long it takes her to read it!
Landiana
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: Near London, wondering if the crazy lobsters have formed their plan of attack

Post by Landiana »

best_beating_heart wrote:I have only ever read one Shakespeare play, which was King Lear, for my Honors English class.
I have to admit, I enjoyed it, since it was a lot better than the book we had to read before was Charles Dickens' Great Expectations, which I HATED with all of my life.
It was a horrible book, and I loathed the main character Pip. He was so stupid, I just wanted to slap him.
i didn't mind Great Expectations when i read it - ive read better but ive also read worse.

Have just finished Beyond The Shadows by Brent Weeks and loved it immensly. am just about to start Needful Things by Stephen King, which is apparently an amazing book. i loved Misery and The Green Mile by him, so i shall see.....
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4851042/1/English_Vampires
Please read my fanfic!

Team Edward
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Landiana wrote:
best_beating_heart wrote:I have only ever read one Shakespeare play, which was King Lear, for my Honors English class.
i didn't mind Great Expectations when i read it - ive read better but ive also read worse.

Have just finished Beyond The Shadows by Brent Weeks and loved it immensly. am just about to start Needful Things by Stephen King, which is apparently an amazing book. i loved Misery and The Green Mile by him, so i shall see.....
I enjoyed Great Expectations and I enjoyed most of the Dickens' I've read.

Needful Things is fantastic, I hope you enjoy it, I thought it was really good. In my opinion, it was better than Misery.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Hyvanna
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Hyvanna »

I'm readin Cornelia Funke's InkDeath.. I loved InkHeart and InkSpell so of course ya gotta keep goin, my fantasy fix between HarryPotter(7) and Christopher Paolini's Inheritance (Eragon,Eldest and Brisingr)waiting to beable to find an buy InkDeath but then right after Brisingr I read the Twilight Saga then the (5) Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson, The Olympians, So after throwing InkDeath aside and takeing a brake because you HAVE to take a brake between 1st and 3rd writin storys :( :oops: I'm back reading it,I'm not too far into the book yet so I dont have much to say about it.

Yes Steven King's needfull things is good :D , course before i got into like Dragons/wizzards/vampires..ect ALL I would read was Steven King's books....It's weird but i was hooked on his The Dark Tower seires. I'v never read a Shackspear or any of that time storys just not my thing..guess if i'd ever read one may change my mind but I doubt, I'd be so confused just by the words.
:lol:
*(Hyvanna with a Shackspear book and a Shackspear referance guid, It took you a year to read that? :oops: yes :oops: )* :roll:
CullensGirl14
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by CullensGirl14 »

Hyvanna wrote:I'm readin Cornelia Funke's InkDeath.. I loved InkHeart and InkSpell so of course ya gotta keep goin, my fantasy fix between HarryPotter(7) and Christopher Paolini's Inheritance (Eragon,Eldest and Brisingr)waiting to beable to find an buy InkDeath
Brisingr was interesting, i remember not enjoying it as much as the other two. Isn't Paolini writing a fourth and final book at some point? I thought that Brisingr was the last because i'm sure i heard that it was a trilogy. I will probably read it because i want to know what happens to Eragon and Saphira, whether they finish their training etc.

Across the Nightingale Floor was recommended to me by a teacher a while ago, i read that and the other two in the series, it was very different to anything else i've read, i wanted to stop reading because i thought that the last book was very poor compared to the first, but i couldn't stop because i wanted to know what happened. Has anyone else read these books? If so, what did you think?
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountain, like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow. How did it come to this?