What are you reading?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
blasphemous_contessa
Working in the Garage with Jacob
Location: The library...or work...course if I was at work I wouldn't be online, so I must be at a library

Re: What are you reading?

Post by blasphemous_contessa »

THE DRAGON BOOK
That one's for Ianto. Risen Mitten, Life Knife, and that old classic...Stun Gun.
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

fanMNM wrote:Still getting thru Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...
It's a hard book to get into. It started to pick up about half way through. Keep reading.

I preordered my copy of Linger by Maggie Stiefvater and I'm so excited! I'm currently reading a book that I've much neglected called Restoring Harmony. It's a dystopian, YA novel.
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Okay, bad me, I read Bonds of Justice, the latest book in Nalini Singh's Psy-Changling series (absolutely fabulous series). I really enjoyed it, not as much as previous books, but I did really enjoy it. Now, I am reading The Dark Divine.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
best_beating_heart
Frozen in Time

Post by best_beating_heart »

I am currently reading The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. It's really good so far.

TM~Maria Dina Corozzo
Teams:Alice, Emmett, Esme, Renesmee, Volturi~Athenodora, JCA~Aubrey Santi~SC
UnfreakinBelievable
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by UnfreakinBelievable »

OK, I'm finished "re-vamping" Eclipse and Breaking Dawn (I only meant to read Eclipse, but it's so hard not to keep reading onto the next book) -- and on a side note, saw the Eclipse movie, loved it -- best one so far hands-down!

So, now I'm in the middle of Beastly by Alex Flinn (thanks for the recommendation, Edward Cullen Fan, and I totally remember you! Welcome back!). This is a re-telling of "Beauty and the Beast", but all from the Beast's perspective. I had a hard time getting interested in it at first, and let's face it, the guy is a complete jerk in order to get a witch's attention enough to curse him to become a Beast -- so that was a bit annoying, but now that I'm at the heart of the story it is REALLY getting good! I like this updated version of the original story, takes place in modern day New York City. I'm interested in seeing the movie, but yah, I agree that it doesn't look like the book and movie will match up very close. At least not in the appearance of the Beast. *pouts*

The next book I'm going to read is called The death and life of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood. I saw that the new movie with Zac Efron was based on a book so I looked it up. I'm on a role, reading books made into movies.
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Current reading includes:

1) Soccernomics by Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski. Kuper is a sports journalist, Szymanski is an economist. They've apparently set out to write the equivalent of Moneyball (which brought statistical analysis of baseball to a wide audience) for the sport that everyone but the US calls football. They haven't quite succeeded, I think, but there's a lot of interesting thoughts in the book. Worth reading.

2) Shattered Air, by Bob Madgic. I read this one a few years ago, but decided to reread it. It's about how a group of hikers, apparently indifferent to danger, climbed to the top of Half Dome, in Yosemite National Park, even though a thunderstorm was imminent. When the storm broke, lightning struck the top of the dome, two of the hikers were killed, and the others were injured. Only the presence nearby of a handful of other hikers and campers, two of whom were trained EMTs, saved the survivors.

3) Without Fail, by Lee Child. This is another in his Jack Reacher series, which I wrote about upthread. In this one, Reacher is recruited by the Secret Service to help prevent the assassination of the Vice President-elect of the US.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

I'm in the last half of "The Girl Who Played With Fire" and it's really good. I'd recommend it for 17 and up because of strong language, sexual content, and violence.
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

cullengirl wrote:I'm in the last half of "The Girl Who Played With Fire" and it's really good. I'd recommend it for 17 and up because of strong language, sexual content, and violence.

Just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and I plan tp pick up The Girl Who Played With Fire next. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. It took me a bit to get into the story in the Dragon Tattoo, but it was worth it! Interested in where the story goes from there...

Thank you Naureen!!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Finished The Dark Divine by Bree Despain and loved it. I hope she will follow up with a sequel.

Now I am reading the latest in the mageverse series by Angela Knight, Master of Fire.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

Fever Dream, the new Preston and Child Pendergast novel. Its good, typical Pendergast-y stuff, but... I can't really say why I don't like it as much as say, Relic. I think it has something to do with the more we learn about Pendergast, the less mysterious he becomes and the more Sherlock Holmes-y he seems. Brilliant, but not almost not relateable because he's just so different from normal people and never tells anyone anything. I'm just glad its less weird than Wheel of Darkness.