What are you reading?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
BlueStarEgo
Lusting for Blood

Re: What are you reading?

Post by BlueStarEgo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:34 pm

Eclipse! =)
Chrissy | Team.Edward(T)/Damon(TVD)/Eric(TB)/Adrian(VA)Peeta(THG) | Music.Addict
- - * will you still love me tomorrow? - Amy Winehouse

fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:40 am

By Blood We Live It's several vampire stories from several wonderful authors...

It's edited by John Joseph Adam and has stories from Kelley Armstrong, L.A. Banks, Anne Rice, Stephen King, Harry Turtledove, Neil Gaiman, Tad Williams...and there are a bunch more that I can't remember right this second. I'm on the 4th story and although some are disturbing, it's pretty good

Thank you Naureen!!

dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:19 am

Finished off a bunch of books on the car ride to and from California.

Trackers- Patrick Carman. I picked it up because he wrote the Land of Elyon books, which I loved. This was awesome, but I'm still wondering, what the crap is the point?!? It's written a bit like a screen play, complete with a cast in the back of the book. I'm just assuming it doesn't make sense because its the first book of a series.

Fire- Kristin Cashore. A companion to Graceling, which was an awesome debut fantasy novel. She's good at writing strong female characters who's men are nice and compassionate and the bad guys not at all nice. Unfortunately, she also follows modern female fantasy writers trend to include some rather disturbing morals when it comes to sex and preference. Its a good book, but sometimes those inclusions make my conscience a little uncomfortable.

Two Dr. Who books- almost as good as the show, but I keep on picturing the Doctor as Chris Ecclestone, since I haven't yet seen the early seasons.

Dawn of the Dreadfuls- not nearly as good as Pride and Prejudice and zombies, but vaguely entertaining. There's more dead people, anyways! :D

Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:48 pm

Two books I've recently started:

1) Darker than Amber, by John D. MacDonald. This is another Travis McGee novel. It's the first one in which McGee's best friend Meyer (who is an economist :) and lives on a cabin cruiser called the John Maynard Keynes :D ) plays a big part in the story. It starts when McGee and Meyer are in the right place to rescue a woman who is tossed off a bridge in the Florida Keys, tied to a cement block. I'm about 100 pages in and so far, this one seems like the best McGee novel I've read yet.

2) The Baseball Codes, by Jason Turbow with Michael Duca. This one is a guide to the "unwritten rules of America's pastime" (when played by humans, at any rate): why the batter never crosses between the pitcher and catcher on the way to the batter's box, why you don't steal bases when your team has a big lead, and many others. Pretty good.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing

ravenGirl2468
Wrestling With Emmett
Location: Going crazy trying to find my real version of Emmett or Dean Winchester

Post by ravenGirl2468 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:01 pm

I'm re-reading the Night World series and also reading the Morganville Series for the first time! There Awesome! im on the fourth book already!
~Team Emmett
Team Carlisle
~On the list~ Karl is my Twi-guy!

cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:02 pm

dandyvampgirl_13 wrote: Fire- Kristin Cashore. A companion to Graceling, which was an awesome debut fantasy novel. She's good at writing strong female characters who's men are nice and compassionate and the bad guys not at all nice. Unfortunately, she also follows modern female fantasy writers trend to include some rather disturbing morals when it comes to sex and preference. Its a good book, but sometimes those inclusions make my conscience a little uncomfortable.
Fire is definitely a maturer and different book than Graceling. I've read mixed reviews of both books. People tend to love Graceling, but hate Fire mostly because they thought Fire lacked action. I, personally, loved both and can not wait until Bitterblue's book comes out!

I'm currently reading: Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livington
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!

una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:12 pm

cullengirl wrote:Una: I finished The Dark Divine last night and really enjoyed it. I did figure out the "mysteries", but the cure threw me. I loved the ending. Did you know there is going to be a second book called The Lost Saint? It comes out Dec. 28th
Yes, and I can't wait.

As to your question on Jennifer Ashley, it is the same person.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!

pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:42 am

Bran Hambric: The Fairfield Curse by Kaleb Nation (aka The Twilight Guy.)

I'm really enjoying it so far!
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson

SweetImpakt
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by SweetImpakt » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:44 pm

I'm rereading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone, for the 584689th time :P

I ordered Fallen by Lauren Kate, waiting for it, atm.

“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”

'twahy-lahyt'
Lusting for Blood

Post by 'twahy-lahyt' » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:34 pm

I just read Heart Sick by Chelsea Cain, and right after that I read Kiss of Crimson, the second in the Midnight Breed series, by Lara Adrian. I'm currently rereading The Hunger Games and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.