What are you reading?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Jazz Girl »

Gabriel's Inferno, written by Sylvain Reynard.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Currently reading:

1) Even, by Andrew Grant. Grant is the younger brother of Lee Child (real name Jim Grant), the author of the Jack Reacher novels. In this book, the younger Grant begins a series with a lot of similarities to the Reacher novels, especially in having big men who are very good at killing and related arts as protagonists. David Trevellyan is some kind of MI-6 operative. One night he's walking through Manhattan and discovers a corpse in an alley. Before long he's plunged into the middle of an FBI investigation of some sort of serial killer. Pretty good so far.

2) Ratification, by Pauline Maier. This is an account of the ratification of the Constitution of the US in 1787-88, covering the debates in each state, both in print and during the ratification conventions. Maier is one of the leading historians of the early US and this is an excellent book on an important part of US history. Highly recommended.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

I've just finished One False Move, by Harlan Coben. This is the fifth in his series about Myron Bolitar, sports agent who frequently is forced into the role of PI. His latest client, professional basketball star Brenda Slaughter, had her mother walk out on the family when she was five, and now her father is missing as well. While my favorite Coben books tend to be his standalones, I also find the Bolitar series quite enjoyable.

Now I've justed started Stripped, the second of Brian Freeman's books about detective Jonathan Stride. In this one, Stride has left his hometown of Duluth behind to join his new lover Serena Dial (they met in the first book in the series) with the Las Vegas PD. I'm only about 20 pages in but it looks like another good one.

For somewhat heavier reading, I'm also working on Bad Samaritans, by Ha-Joon Chang. Chang is a high-powered international economist, and this is a critique of the prevailing, "neoliberal" ideology that dominates trade policy. Written for a general audience but not dumbed down in any way; I'd recommend it for anyone interested in these issues.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

Just finished Wise Man's Fear, which was excellent and kinky. Starting the official Twilight Saga Guide with slight dismay- it's fraggin huge. Then I'm going back to the lovely Agatha Christie. :D
samajama
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by samajama »

Re-reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by.. well, I think we all know. ;)
Team Edward Bringing sexy back since 1901. I'm on the ListV2 Sammy Whammy
Team "Screw you freaks; I want Ben!"...........Randomness Resident
LOVE MY TWINNIES: Mary and Shel <3
BlueStarEgo
Lusting for Blood

Post by BlueStarEgo »

I've finished Succubus On Top which is number 2 in the Georgina Kincaid series by Richelle Mead. I've started number 3: Succubus Dreams.

I've finished My Blood Approves by Amanda Hocking. I avoid making Twilight Comparison's with any vampire book(s) that I read, but there were way too many similarities to try and ignore. besides that, the book was OK. I have number 2; Fate on my eReader but I don't know when I'll begin it.

I'm also currently reading Thorn Queen by Richelle Mead. It's number two in her Dark Swan series.

And still trying to get through Carpe Corpus by Rachel Caine. I think this one; number 6 will be the last I read of the Morganville Vampires series. I feel like I've had enough. The characters are pretty much the same. Nothing too exciting is happening for me.
Chrissy | Team.Edward(T)/Damon(TVD)/Eric(TB)/Adrian(VA)Peeta(THG) | Music.Addict
- - * will you still love me tomorrow? - Amy Winehouse
21Twilight21
Lured By the Scent
Location: Trying To Decide Between Edward, Stefan, & Dimitri <3!

Post by 21Twilight21 »

Since I won't be able to watch Water For Elephants anytime soon, I've decided to read the book :)!
I'm not so far into it, but I'm liking it!
Thanks Chrissy for my banner:
~Call me Kym~ I'm on the ListV2! *Paige is my TSB* Chrissy is my Talented Artist Friend :)
^Fee-B is my dependable buddy^
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

Just finished Kiss of Snow by Nalini Singh...I just have to say that I so enjoy her Psy/Changeling world!!

I have several books on my Kindle right now...not sure which to start first. I had My Blood Approves slated for next but I read BlueStarEgo's post and now I'm not sure if I want to start something else first.

These are my choices:
Shadow Fall by Erin Kellison
See Me by Lauralynn Elliott
Marked by Elizabeth Naughton
Hollowland by Amanda Hocking
Blood of Gold by B.V. Larson
Between Shadows by Joanne Durann

I know nothing about any of these books! They were all just recommended to me! Any sugestions where to start??

Thank you Naureen!!
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

I just finished Vanished, by Joseph Finder. Finder has written a number of best-selling thrillers; this one apparently is the start of a series featuring a protagonist named Nick Heller, a Special Forces vet who works for a private security firm. In his debut novel, Heller investigates the disappearance of his brother and an assault on his sister-in-law, and uncovers a complex web of financial crimes. It was pretty good, although I was annoyed by Heller's style of writing very short, choppy chapters in the manner of James Patterson (an author I do not like).

I've moved on to Dennis Lehane's Gone, Baby, Gone, the fourth novel in his series about working-class PI's Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro. This one was made into a pretty good movie which I watched some time back, so I have a rough idea of how things unfold. A 4-year-old girl named Amanda McCready has gone missing from her Dorchester home, and her aunt and uncle have asked Patrick and Angie, who are from the neighborhood, to help with the case. I've enjoyed every book in the Kenzie-Gennaro series I've read so far, and this one looks to be no exception.

Another book in progress is Neptune's Inferno, by James Hornfischer. The "inferno" it recounts is the US Navy's part in the very hard-fought Guadalcanal campaign in World War II. The American victory at Midway had broken the Japanese carrier force and given the US fleet approximate parity with their foes, but the massive construction of new warships in the US was not completed yet, setting the stage for a closely-contested sequence of battles. This one is very good so far.
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

Ive just finished Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead, the 3rd Vampire Academy book. They get better and better and more dramatic as the series goes on. Can't wait to read the 4th one. There is always osmething dramatic happening in the last few chapters and I cannot put the books down at this point as I want to see what happens. Poor Dimitri and Rose is all I can say at the end of this book!
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."