What are you reading?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
dazzel21
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: What are you reading?

Post by dazzel21 »

Game of Thrones by George R.R Martin. I love the TV series and now I'm addicted to the books...
"Because each and every one of us needs our own personal brand of heroine."
~Team Edward Forever~
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Just finished:

1) 1215: The Year of Magna Carta, by Danny Danziger and John Gillingham. This isn't so much an account of the creation of the Magna Carta itself, as a look at what English (and to some extent European) society was like in the early 13th century. We learn, for instance, what it was like to live in the castle of a noble landowner, what town life was like, how farming was practiced, and so on. Pretty good and accessible to a general reader.

Currently reading:

1) Out of Sight, by Elmore Leonard. I watched the film version of this a few weeks ago, and as I read I'm astonished at how faithful the film was to Leonard's novel. In this one, Leonard combines his two favorite settings, Detroit and Miami, as he tells the story of the seemingly impossible romance between US Marshal Karen Sisco and bank robber Jack Foley. One of Leonard's best.

2) Reckless Endangerment, by Gretchen Morgenson and Joshua Rosner. This is yet another book on the 2007-08 financial crisis. The authors focus on the problems with the quasi-governmental institution called Fannie Mae and their role in the crisis; they provide some good reporting on that topic. However, they overstate Fannie's role in causing the downturn and they don't explain the big picture as well as do other authors like Roger Lowenstein or Simon Johnson.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
pyrosis
Learning to Love Green

Post by pyrosis »

Ian Rankin: A Question of Blood
You know, Edward, as a brother you are sometimes a dissappointment

Oh, never mind! my less noble side exulted

Then the jokes about the world's only clumsy vampire would start

'Bout time someone scored around here
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer. It's the second book in the Nightshade series. It's really good.
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
Zoe22
Settled in Forks

Post by Zoe22 »

Right now I am reading “Angels of the Night” by Paula Kennedy. This is an awesome love story.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

I am in the middle of two books. This one is for my english class called I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak. Sounds very interesting.

The other one I was hoping I would finish before school started for a book club but I didn't. However I should finish it within the next few days. It is called Shanghai Girls by Lisa See.
Banner by TammyAZ
samajama
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by samajama »

Currently, I'm re-reading The Third Eye by Lois Duncan (the author of I Know What You Did Last Summer). It's about a girl named Karen O'Connor, who's psychic (but isn't really aware that she is), and how she helps find these children that keep getting kidnapped.
I've read it twice before, and it's really good. Interesting and a nice, quick read.

Recently, I just finished re-reading The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin. It's kind of a YA murder mystery. If you've ever gone to a murder mystery dinner, it reminds me of that (except it's supposed to be real life, so...). A bunch of people were brought together and they need to work together to solve a murder. I'm not explainging this well, but it's another quick read, but really good.

I also just recently read Acheron one of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter novels. AWESOME! If you read the series, you know this already. If you don't read the series, you should.. :) I've been reading a bunch of DH lately... Hmm, what else?

Oh!!! The final Wolves of Mercy Falls book by Maggie Stiefvater, Forever. (The first two are Shiver and Linger.) They're super! And about werewolves. It's about a girl named Grace (who was attacked by wolves when she was young), and her yellow-eyed wolf/man, named Sam. It's their story, how they met (or saw each other from afar), became friends, then lovers. A really touching story, and really sad at times (happy, too!). The first book is mainly their meetings and explaining as much as they know of the world of the wolves and trying to find a cure for Sam.

:D Now, go read!
<3 Sam
Team Edward Bringing sexy back since 1901. I'm on the ListV2 Sammy Whammy
Team "Screw you freaks; I want Ben!"...........Randomness Resident
LOVE MY TWINNIES: Mary and Shel <3
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

pyrosis wrote:Ian Rankin: A Question of Blood
Are you a Rebus fan? I love those books.

Now reading:

1) Live to Tell, by Lisa Gardner. Boston detective D. D. Warren, in the fourth novel featuring her, investigates the murders of a family of five. When the youngest child proves to have been a patient at a local psychiatric clinic, D.D. comes into contact with nurse Danielle Burton, who as a child was the only survivor of a similar killing spree. Is there a connection--with Gardner, the answer is usually yes. Gardner writes up to her usual standards with this one--it's quite good.

2) Colossus, by Michael Hiltzik. The giant structure of the title is none other than Hoover Dam, the first and biggest of the dams with which men have tried to tame the Colorado River. A good book about an important part of the history of the Western US.

3) The Americans at Normandy, by John McManus. A good military history, recounting an oft-told history, but doing so well. It's marred only by some seriously inadequate maps, a serious failing in a book of this kind.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson