What are you reading?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Jestak »

Current reading includes:

1) Battle by John Lynn. This is a big book, concept-wise, that attempts, in the author's words, to explain "combat and the cultural influences that led men and women to fight the way they did." It's also an explicit challenge to historians who have promoted the concept of a unique, long-established "Western way of war." I'm only a little way in; it's pretty good so far.

2) Mallory's Oracle, by Carol O'Connell. This was the author's debut novel, the first of a series about a fascinating NYPD detective named Kathy Mallory. Kathy was an orphaned street thief who was adopted/arrested by a veteran cop when she was about eleven; as an adult and a cop, she still has many of the amoral values of her criminal youth. This one is quite good; definitely good enough to make me want to read more in the series (I think there are about 8 or 9 of them).
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
xhopeonaropex
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by xhopeonaropex »

So I gave up on the Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth series since a loooot of people told me abt how bad it is :/ Maybe I'll pick it up later. Right now I'm reading The Magicians for Lev Grossman. Just started it last night. I really hope I like ti since alot of people said it's like the Harry Potter for grownups :D
eliselovesedwardx
Completely Dazzled!

Post by eliselovesedwardx »

Just finished the Vampire Academy series. Absolutely loved them! So different, yet amazingly captivating.
::Elise:: Backhoe Operator for EDC, Inc~EDC's Cheer Squad Captain!
I'm on the List~The names Mooner
aussie-twigirl
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by aussie-twigirl »

I'm reading Vamp Academy at the moment too! Well, rereading them actually. I'm up to Frostbite (second book). I love them. The characters are so interesting and awesome. I love Rose. She's so confident, smart and stands up for her beliefs and friends. :)
eliselovesedwardx wrote:So different, yet amazingly captivating.
I totally agree.. be interesting to see how the movie goes.
TY KYM!! =)
Paige I'm on the ListV2!
Edward|Emmett|Quil|Carlisle|Alice
SHIEGE and PIEGE = TWINS *~* KYM IS MY TSB
My Blog - Kaleidoscopic Dreams
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

xhopeonaropex wrote:So I gave up on the Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth series since a loooot of people told me abt how bad it is :/
I gave up on that one a short way into the second book; I didn't find it all that great.

I finished the Carol O'Connell book and have started Savage Run, by C. J. Box. This is Box's second novel about Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett, who deals with some law enforcement problems that urban cops would find unique. In this one, it looks like Joe is going to get caught up in a potentially deadly confrontation between a radical environmental activist and some cattle ranchers who believe in vigilante justice. I enjoyed the first one in the series and this one seems pretty good too.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Post by The girlie-wolf »

I just finished the De Vinci Code and I'm reading the vampire diaries 3&4. I finally found ittttt!
Last edited by The girlie-wolf on Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shai~ on the ListV2! ~Bunches of teams~ Team Quil-Alpha
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

Refreshing on oldies (yet goodies) for the coming school year....

Tuck Everlasting

The Giver

Our Town

Next on my list, Jude Deveraux's new one....Scarlet Nights (I think that's the new one...in the Edilean series)

Thank you Naureen!!
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Riding Lessons by Sarah Gruen. I loved Water for Elephants and wanted to see her other work.

GirlieWolf~ I love The DaVinci Code. If you get the chance, I highly recommend the illustrated version. It contains pictures and prints of the places, paintings and other related info referenced in the novel. It's a really cool read.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I finished reading Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage by Jennifer Ashley and really enjoyed it. I can't wait for the next book in the series. Now I am reading Kiss of Death by Rachel Caine, the latest in the Morganville Vampires series.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

I finished a bunch since I last posted.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan- Excellent, hiliarious, and poignant.
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness- a fast paced dystopian novel where the bad guys don't die.
Friendship for Today- An ok children's book that takes place in the '60s.
Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley- a pretty good adult paranormal romance book involving shifters.

Now reading: The Calligrapher's Daughter by Eugenia Kim
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!