What are you reading?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
StellaBlueBella
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: What are you reading?

Post by StellaBlueBella »

nissanmama wrote:I finished Red Riding Hood. While the writing was good, the ending wasn't satisfying. In fact, the book sends you to a website that promises access to a "bonus chapter" AFTER the movie comes out.
Thanks for the warning on that one NM! I've seen the ads for the movie and thought it looked like something interesting to watch - at home! I will wait to pick up the book until the movie is closer to being released for home viewing. I actually assumed Red Riding Hood must be in the public domain and didn't realize there was a book out now(other than for children of course). Is there really an author?

I just got my paperback Water for Elephants today. Can't wait to get started.... Just need to pry myself away from fanfiction first!

• To comprehend a nectar Requires sorest need.
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

Dewey by Vicki Myron. It is a true life book about a cat that was adopted and lived in a library for 19 years I think in a small town in Iowa, America and im only about a third in. It is very heartfelt and warm story and Dewey sounds like such a funny, adorable cat. It is written lovely, is interesting and really easy to read. I cant wait to find out just how many hearts Dewey touched in the town.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

The Science of Doctor Who. It's great and really easy to read and I keep on giggling at certain jokes and stuff. But it's lacking in Ten and Eleven. I love Eleven. It makes me sad.
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

I've just finished Lonely Hearts by John Harvey, the first in his series of police procedurals about Nottingham Detective Inspector Charlie Resnick. It was quite good, although not necessarily a quick read. It was as much about character and atmosphere as plot and action. I'll definitely be continuing with the series.

I've moved on to Indelible, by Karin Slaughter. This is one of her Grant County novels, centered on small-town medical examiner Sara Linton and her ex-husband, police chief Jeffrey Tolliver. I've only gotten a couple of chapters in, and already it's clear that, once again, Slaughter is going to put her characters through nine kinds of hell.

I'm also reading Enlightened Sexism, by Susan Douglas. Douglas is a communication professor at Michigan and this is the latest of several books she's written over the years about the way women are portrayed in the media. Definitely worth reading.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
audreywarenne
Frozen in Time

Post by audreywarenne »

Deadly Vows by Brenda Joyce. I've been waiting for this book for the past two years. She put aside this serious to focus on another but now that her other one is complete, she's back to this one. I love this serious!
~ Cowards aren't the only ones who die a thousand deaths, sometimes heroes do too
~ I take Banner/Avatar Requests, send a PM
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

Read Beastly by Alex Flinn...I'm hoping the movie is better than the book was.

I just got Water for Elephants and that's my next read!

Reading Pride and Prejudice with my students...they aren't loving it...LOL But I'm hoping they'll come around!!

Thank you Naureen!!
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

fanMNM wrote:Read Beastly by Alex Flinn...I'm hoping the movie is better than the book was.
That's interesting. I loved the book and thought it was charming, warm, yet food for thought in a modern retelling. I watched the movie this past weekend and I enjoyed it, however, I loved the book more. I hope to post a review on my blog this week. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the book!
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

I am re-reading "Fallen" and "Water For Elephants".
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

cullengirl wrote:
fanMNM wrote:Read Beastly by Alex Flinn...I'm hoping the movie is better than the book was.
That's interesting. I loved the book and thought it was charming, warm, yet food for thought in a modern retelling. I watched the movie this past weekend and I enjoyed it, however, I loved the book more. I hope to post a review on my blog this week. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the book!
It's so rare that I don't like a book that I decided to go back and re-read it to see what it was exactly that let me down. Just finished the re-read...I guess my issue was with the writing? I had the hardest time getting into it. I felt like it kept me on the surface, on the outside, so I couldn't relate or feel what the characters were feeling. The writing felt superficial...like it was only skimming the surface. It would dip down deeper sometimes, talk about feelings and emotions, but it felt far and few between. There was such potential there, but I felt like the book fell just short of reaching it. Maybe I would have felt more connected knowing Linda's feelings throughout the process? There was so many truly awful things happening to these characters and where I normally feel deeply for a character going thru things like that, I didn't connect here. Hoping that makes some sense...

I did like the story...the idea behind the book...and maybe I'm just being picky? I acknowledge that's entirely possible! :blush:

Thank you Naureen!!
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

^^Huh, I had the same exact reaction when I saw the movie and thought the adaptation skimmed the surface of the book's themes without really delving deeper. I felt that I got to see Kyle transform in the book, but in the movie it happened so quickly. I actually liked that we don't know much about Lyndy in the book. It was an opportunity for Kyle to see himself objectively, which I think that was the author's purpose. Without spoiling the movie, I will say that Lyndy's involvement in Kyle's plan is a bit different.
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!