The Hunger Games/Catching Fire/Mockingjay

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Re: The Hunger Games/Catching Fire/Mockingjay

Post by pennybug84 »

Loved the new stuff we got in the second trailer. Though I am disappointed they don't have Madge in the movie.
And I'm excited, I might be going to the midnight premiere w/a friend. She's planning on going & when I was talking w/her about the other day she invited me to go. I hope it works out so I can go. I've never been to a midnight premiere of a film and I think it'll be fun.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
BlueStarEgo
Lusting for Blood

Post by BlueStarEgo »

I was disappointed about Madge too. But, I understand. Even though she was the one who initially gave Katniss the Mockingjay pin, I still think her character didn't have much of a part. :(

I'm hoping our theater has a midnight release. I know I'll be going alone because I don't know anyone else who wants to see it like I do or have read the books already. I don't really care though. I HAVE to be there, lol.
Chrissy | Team.Edward(T)/Damon(TVD)/Eric(TB)/Adrian(VA)Peeta(THG) | Music.Addict
- - * will you still love me tomorrow? - Amy Winehouse
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Yeah, I happened to catch that in the trailer, I think it was Katniss giving the pin to her sister? I liked the subtlety in the book, with Katniss not catching on right away that the mockingjay pin given to and worn by her was a sign of rebellion. She was aware that it could be, but it wasn't a big thing until her performance in the arena (at least, I don't think it was).

Madge is in and out real quick, though. She likely just wanted her to have a keepsake from home for good luck, so there was no other intent behind giving her the pin. The chance gift of the mockingjay and what it meant was probably deemed a little too subtle for the movie, so they just brought it out front and center, and removed Madge's character.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

BlueStarEgo wrote: I'm hoping our theater has a midnight release. I know I'll be going alone because I don't know anyone else who wants to see it like I do or have read the books already. I don't really care though. I HAVE to be there, lol.
That's why I've never gone to a midnight premiere before, no one would go w/me. And when I was talking to my friend about the movie I was like we should go see it together and that's when she told me her & her roommates are going to the midnight premiere and invited me. And they're going to make their own shirts. So I hope it works out, it sounds like it'll be fun.

I understand Madge is a small part but it's still annoying sometimes when they cut them out of the film adaptations.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

BlueStarEgo wrote: I'm hoping our theater has a midnight release. I know I'll be going alone because I don't know anyone else who wants to see it like I do or have read the books already. I don't really care though. I HAVE to be there, lol.

With no sitter I tend to go to movies by myself but it has to be ones that I really want to see since our matinees run $10 over here. If we were closer I would go with you. :)
Banner by TammyAZ
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

I just started to read the first book. My mom was very enthousiastic about it and wants to see the movie so I gave in and bought the book.
I have only read like 30 pages but I already like it. Though I'm not convinced the POV writing is really my thing, it's more chaotic than Twilight I think but I'm waiting with a final verdict till I hve read the complete book...

I'm actually really curious to see the movie, I wonder how Jennifer will live up to be Katniss... Already after reading 30 pages my image of Katniss is different from what I have seen in the trailers...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
dazzel21
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by dazzel21 »

Whoop! So excited, tomorrow's our first day of showing. I think I'm going to see the movie after I get off from work. Definitely couldn't wait...

Desiree = $10 for the matinee??? That's really expensive, ours are at least half of that. The only time I willingly paid more than that is during Twilight Saga advance screenings :lol:
"Because each and every one of us needs our own personal brand of heroine."
~Team Edward Forever~
BlueStarEgo
Lusting for Blood

Post by BlueStarEgo »

The movie was AMAZING you guys! They stayed pretty close to the books. of course certain things had to be taken out, but I found that it didn't bother me much.
Donald Sutherland was an awesome President Snow. :)
Chrissy | Team.Edward(T)/Damon(TVD)/Eric(TB)/Adrian(VA)Peeta(THG) | Music.Addict
- - * will you still love me tomorrow? - Amy Winehouse
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

I saw the movie this weekend!!!

it was really great. I loved most of the cast and Seneca and Caecar were brilliantly selected... though I didn't like the guy playing Peeta...

the sadness and fear were brought brilliantly but it lacked in other emotions... I missed a lot of Katniss anger, against her mother, the capitol and the Games...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

marielle, I am in agreement with you on that. Lots of brilliant moments in the movie, definitely a must see.

I think Josh actually does fit the role of Peeta, but there was something lacking. The romance plays second fiddle to the darkness of the books, an almost perfect inversion of the TW series. However, that romance is very important in highlighting just how cruel the games are.

I was a Peeta fan in the books. I became a Gale fan for the movie. Whatever they did trying to set up the triangle didn't work for me. There has to be an emotional punch there. You can either demonstrate the cruelty of the games directly or indirectly. If you have to clean things up to get your PG-13 rating, then you are left with the relationship between Katniss and Peeta. If that doesn't work, then I don't know what to say.

Part of the problem is Jennifer's portrayal of Katniss. She does it too well. Katniss is pretty stoic, but there are a lot of things going on her head. Since we can't go there in the movie, they have to find some other way of doing it.

Here are a few comments in invisible text. Warning, there are a few MAJOR spoilers here:

We need to be left without any doubt that Peeta absolutely loves Katniss, and has loved her a long time. The movie doesn't make that crystal clear.

One major aspect has been cut out. Peeta's leg is severely damaged in the book, and he is nearly bleeding to death at the end. He undoes a tourniquet trying to finish himself off by bleeding to death, giving Katniss the sole victory. There is no doubt at that point just what Peeta will do for Katniss. In the movie, Peeta's leg is fully healed and that moment isn't there anymore. See prior comment, we need to KNOW just how much Peeta loves Katniss.

Something stirs inside of Katniss when she kisses Peeta for the cameras, something that was totally unexpected. That is difficult to portray in a movie unless there is real chemistry between the actors (see TW bedroom kiss). Whose fault is that? I wish I could say.

That scene there is Katniss's and Peeta's scene. There is a quick cut in the movie to Gale (Liam) seeing that on TV, and my wife's reaction was to sympathize with Gale. Yup, there is some chemistry between Jennifer and Liam, but not with Josh. Uh oh. Maybe it isn't chemistry with Liam, he just has expressive eyes. How about this: imagine Kris and Rob as Katniss and Gale, and then Taylor as Peeta. I know that analogy is technically wrong, but there it is.

The real scene to build the foundation of a potential romance or at least a real connection between Katniss and Peeta is the night before the games, when they are talking to each other on the rooftop. Nope, no chemistry, just a discussion.

The "boy with the bread" scene is done all wrong, with both Peeta and Katniss now all grown up. This happened when they were children in the book, that was very important. Peeta was there before Gale. If the chemistry isn't there, then the scenes need to be there and the POINT of the scenes must be understood.

All in all, a fine movie, but with some definite weaknesses that have to be corrected for the sequels.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”