Gen Y --The 20 something's thread

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Dazzled_by_Cullens
Touched By Cold Hands

Re: Gen Y --The 20 something's thread

Post by Dazzled_by_Cullens »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SEXY BEXY!!! You know I love you and well yeah the love fest could continue…so yeah lets Celebrate your last year of being in your 20s and a Gen Y-20somehing-LOL.

As some of you have heard last Thursday I lost my job with my company that I have been working at for almost 6 years =( yeah craptastic news. It still hasn’t fully set in yet and I have my good moments and my bad moments. But it is a weird grieving process for sure and just trying to figure out where to go from here.

So what happened is that the company decided to bail out of the medical/insurance division as many small insurance companies are because of the health care reform laws that we passed and the amount of money that it would take in order to be compliant with the government. So that leaves all 1500 of us who work in this division w/o a job. So we were told that they will let us all know at the latest by November 1st what our release dates will be, but we could find out before then too. From there it could be anywhere from 30days of the notification they give you to maybe even a year depending on your department. Which most of us don’t foresee it being at all. So I am just really praying to keep going thru the holidays and then longer if possible.

It is just bad timing not that there is ever great timing for this stuff to happen, but just having moved away from all my family and friends and business contacts that I know and have established too. But I have gotten a lot of support and encouragement and am thankful for it. So I am going to try and be positive about this and look at it that everything happens for a reason and hopefully I will maybe land a job using my college degree or something less stressful, one that I love more or that I am happier at and that is just better, etc. Who knows, but I am hoping this job change will be for the better *Crossing fingers*

So that is my news…Sorry for not commenting on others stuff. I am so behind and haven’t posted in a while. But will try and be better. But excited to have my first family visitor coming in this weekend to see me since I moved-my mom is flying in this weekend-YAY!

Love and hugs to you all. Hope you all have wonderful days and CARPE DIEM!! xxx
I left my heart on the Gen Y thread...I my LEXILY
therealmrswhitlock
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by therealmrswhitlock »

So I have been lurking but not posting for a while, because, really I didn't have much to say.

Sarah---thanks so much for your kind words. I feel so lucky to have found a group of people that I get along with so well.

Pharmer---sux that you're still sick, and I hope you are well soon. I couldn't handle a cough that lasted that long--I think I'd go batty, lol.

Janny---sorry you're still suffering with your headaches, but glad you got some cool stuff on your shopping trip! Hope the headache subsides soon.

Becca---happy birthday! Hope you have an incredible day!

Megs--sorry about your job, I know how that feels. I hope that you find a job that suits you better, and have a fun visit with your mom!

Halloween plans---I will be in Buffalo, NY on Halloween with one of my best friends having the time of my life! Tickets are booked, costume has been purchased (I will put pics on fb upon my return), now just need to pick up travel shampoo bottles and stuff, and just playing the waiting game----I'm sooooo excited!

That's all for now! Later lexlings!
Left my heart on the Gen Y thread....<3 my Lexily!
How could anyone say no to this face? Awww....
pharmer4
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by pharmer4 »

jasmine wrote:@pharmer that really sucks, still being sick. Are they doing tests to figure out whats wrong?
Just got a blood test for iron levels back.

turns our my iron levels are 7, while the reference range is 12-20. That's not good. It's actually lower than it was before I had a bunch of weekly iron injections.

Women don't normally get that low, and they have a regular reason to be low on iron.

It's very puzzling.

jasmine wrote:Me stuff:
Still dealing with the migraines. It's like ive become this dissabled supervillain: Ive got supersight, ive always had really good sight..mb a little too good, cause my eyes can get tired if i need to concentrate to hard. Anyway...now ive got supersight, which means, everything hurts my eyes..sunlight....bright lamps...computerscreens... Its horrible. Instead of helping me, it just hurts my head and cringes my eyes.
Ive also got superhearing, i always had sensitive ears(i can hear really high tones nooone else can hear), but now...EVERYTHING hurts. Its like it pierces my skull...especially crying kids, neighbours drilling in the wall....etc.
So yeah..im a disabled supervillain..w0h00.
I understand how you feel about the migraines - I've had more this last year than I have in the entire rest of my life. Very unusual for me. I'm lucky with sounds (since I listed to music ALL the time) but lights, yeah, they are evil evil things when my migraines hit.

I've also been getting headspins a lot, but I think this is due to the low iron levels, since I am not moving a lot of oxygen around my body without much iron.[/quote]

MRK wrote:Some news...A couple months ago I was actually hired to illustrate a children's book which should be out in November!! it was an interesting process, because I'm not used to drawing someone else's ideas...but the author and I seemed to be in synch, so it worked really great!! This is the debut book of a series, and I'm going to stay on as the illustrator if this first book does well and the publisher decides to move forward with the rest of the series...so that's promising!!

Some of you may know I have a sister that I don't keep in contact with...well she called me on my birthday and it was the first time I had spoken with her in six years. She sounded really good and it was (and is) a very weird experience for me. She is going through some BIG transitions (rehab etc...) and I have been trying to help her through some stuff...and just be there to listen....it's been very...weird...lol

If you noticed, I separated my facebook into two accounts...well some "friend" drama has been occuring and I am getting a lot of people telling me different things...so to make my life a bit more drama free...I just deleted the whole account. I just wanted to let the Lexily know not to take it personally...I'm not trying to erase any of you to be mean...it's just a few specific people and they know what's going on...so...I guess that's all I really want to say about that.

Question: have any of you seen that new Owls movie...Guardians of...whatever...I'm really wanting to see it!!
And what are you all planning for Halloween this year?!?
The illustration gig is very cool. I'd like to see an example of your illustrations - is there anywhere online to check them out (deviant art etc??). I actually have need to illustrations from time to time with my webdesigns. Maybe I can send a little bit of business your way some time . . . . .

The sister thing is cool too - While not having family in a similar position, I have a lot of patients in the same boat, and until they seek the help, there's not much you can do, but it feels pretty good when the do finally seek it and you can do something for them.

With the facebook thing - I know how you feel, it just gets ridiculous when people act like noobs etc, stop talking for some perceived insult/jelousy/just plain idiocy. Hope it causes as little stress for you as possible.

The Owl movie - saw the shorts, want to take my daughters. Looks cool.

@Dazzled_by_Cullens - Dude, sux about the job. Hope you get a little bit longer than a month so you can search for something new and enjoyable. I've come pretty close to leaving my job recently, and it's never a good thought, no matter the cause.

@Ally_Cat - there are some really good Apps for iPhone/iPad (iPad better given the size) that are very detailed anatomy programmes, with great labels, including the ability to make your own. If you have an iPad (or access to one) send me a PM with your email and I'll send you a link to a few that I use at work, or have looked at and coveted (but not bought because they are more clinical than I need, but should be right up your alley - haha Alley! just noticed the connection to your screen name!)
30 year old tattooed metal-loving male Twilight Fan. Breaking the Stereotype.

If you don't understand the science of Twilight, or just like to scoff at it, read my explanations here
ihadanEdwardRush
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ihadanEdwardRush »

I'm going to cry in any minute. I was kicked out of the Fb lexily page. I just noticed it now. and I don't know why? I'm kinda wondering why I can't see the posts and there I found that it was closed and I can't access it.

*CRIES while running away* Please let me back to the group. I'm a worst lexling but please don't delete me there. I still care for you all. :( :( :(
Banner by the fabulous MISTY!!! (yeah she rules!)
A proud part of the Gen Y Lexily! <3 my lexlings
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

Honey, I think it's just a glitch! I will go check for you!! Im an admin there...so if you were off of it then Ill add you back in! I promise we didnt kick ANYONE off of there...especially YOU! *hug*
Wingtear
Playing Thunderball

Post by Wingtear »

Megs, that really sucks.
To look at it from the bright side, a kid (he's younger than me, hence the kid thing) at my work got shifted around to my department a bit roughly, meaning he felt really badly insulted (I agree that the company acted really badly in the situation). That was Thursday last week. Today he resigned, he has gotten a job as manager at another company, whereas at us he was "only" assistant...
So even the worst of circumstances can lead to something good. Well, not for me and J who are now left being 2, while we really really need to be at least 4...

If you can't judge from the above, I'm back at work which leaves me with about 0 energy when the day is done and the pup's in bed. We're changing up our main computer system, and for the last week been working in the new one. It's f-d up beyond belief, but nothing less than I expected. What i didn't calculate was that it would slow down our working pace so much. Everything computer related now takes 2-3 times longer... so 1 hour suddenly is 3... GAH!

So far D is doing great in school, he's gotten top scores in everything they give scores, and those that are pass or fail he passed all. Pup's still loving his daycare.

Misty, your book illustration is awesome and it rocks my socks! Can't wait to see it (if I so have to order the book from US Amazon)

Now it's almost midnight, so I'm off to bed.
Have a great weekend lexlings!
Banner and avatar by the amazing MRK
twilight813
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by twilight813 »

Hey Lexily!!

Misty- that is awesome to hear about your illustrations! You are soooo talented so it doesn't surprise me that someone would ask you to do some art work for them!

Well as you know I am student teaching and that is taking up all of my time. It is crazy how much work goes into one day of school. No one ever really gives teachers credit with what we have to put up with on a daily basis. I am exhausted by 3pm and I have had to actually cut my hours at work because I am just run down. I hope by the end of all of this I will get offered a job. Right now jobs for teachers in NJ is like slim to none. I am hoping for a maternity leave or something because I desperately need a job and I don't want to work in retail for the rest of my life.

I also changed my whole idea about our wedding. I want to get married next year in November. I am hoping I can pull this off because we don't have much money. I just felt that we shouldn't have to wait to get married in 2012 so we can put on a big show for everyone else. Weddings in NJ are ridiculous and it costs so much money. So I am trying to do it on a small budget and do a lot of DIY stuff like invitations and favors and what not. If anyone has any advice or suggestions that would be awesome.

I think that is about it for now. Miss you all!
Avi by Shel
Sisterhood of the Traveling Book
GM of Wingtears Non Veggie Vamp Cafe Member of Wingtears High Council
Gen Y Thread is <3
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

I had a VERY small wedding (total of 8 ppl there!) and I have to tell ya Lynds...it was amazing! It felt very "real" and intimate...I think if we had gotten married with a big production, I would have felt like I was putting on a show and it wouldn't have been for us but for everyone else.
Now, on the flip side...I've never had a big wedding and Im sure some people really want all of their friends and family to be there to witness it and I'm sure it's lovely...
I'm just saying ours was small and I wouldn't change it for anything in the world!! I'm sure your smaller, more budget friendly wedding will be perfect :)
twilight813
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by twilight813 »

Yea you are right Misty. I mean weddings in NJ are outrageous with monograms, huge venues, millions of flowers, fancy wedding dresses and all that and I am not all that you know.

I don't need millions of people watch me and Greg make our vows you know. Oh well, I really have to work on this lol.
Avi by Shel
Sisterhood of the Traveling Book
GM of Wingtears Non Veggie Vamp Cafe Member of Wingtears High Council
Gen Y Thread is <3
jasmine
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by jasmine »

About weddings: we had a budget wedding and we loved every minute of it. We did a lot of things ourselves, like the weddingfavors, invitations, sids clothes, and so on. But you can save on soooo mnay other things while still having them. Like asking collegues to do the cake, asking photo/journalism students to be photographers, etc.
you can ask me anytime :)

The Gen Y Rocks My Twilight Socks

Follow me @ http://gosh-makeup.blogspot.com/