Rob's Halfway House -- #8

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Re: Rob's Halfway House -- #8

Post by missp »

Another day passes with no mega-post from me! :? You can certainly tell when school is back in session! My classroom is all ready and waiting on 19 little sweethearts to fill it up on the 15th! We start our teacher's meetings on Wednesday of next week. So, for the next four days... pool, pool, shopping, pool, pool, shopping... anybody see a pattern developing here? :lol: It's after midnight here, and I'm getting a little sleepy. I'll check back with Y'all tomorrow!

MARIELLE~~I believe you asked me about hotel rooms for HH CON 2012 being booked already. Yep... I have reserved 5 2 room suites and 1 3 room suite for the HH Hub. I think it would be very possible for you and your sweetie to take one of the 2 room suites because we only have 8 definite yes answers so far. :D
Austwilight
Wandering Through Town

Post by Austwilight »

Tammy I must really stupid or something as I can't find the banner. There are no new pm's do l need to look somewhere else? Can't wait to see it though :)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Hey girls…

I hope you are all enjoying your weekend…

I’m a bit down, I’m trying to plan a short get-away for next month but there is this voice in my head saying I need to safe money for Chicago…so I can’t yet find cheap options…

Just a quick Grandma update… I think everything turned out to be not so bad… they are even talking that she just did too much for her age and physical frame…we are hoping that she will come home today or tomorrow...

Susie, yep my grandma is from a very small town and is very used to the small hospital…it’s my dad’s mom… I still have 2 grandpa’s and 1 grandma…

Amy, I’m really happy you understand how I work Lex and fanfic in at a work, I don’t use my phone but my screen is really well hidden ,…at my work I would be the one to report accidents too so I’m sure I can make a good excuse… …

Tonise, that would be really nice if we could get a room you made reservations for… it might be that we are going to stay a bit longer than… I’ll let you know if we take the room before the end of October but probably sooner… I have a feeling my maybe will be a YES soon,…

I have no time to search for news now… I’m going to HP again tonight….

See you all tomorrow…
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
vampirelover109
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by vampirelover109 »

Good afternoon girls

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and emotional one o our neighbours son is getting marries today and it's strange because I've known him since he was little ad I just got down for a minute cause I can't help bit think that I'm never going to have that happiness anyway it's a happy dAy

See you later girls

team edward all the way
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Morning, Sisters! It's looking like the weather may X out my plans for the pool this afternoon. Thunderstorms are predicted for today. :rant: My Daddy has called this morning stressing out over my niece's instruction for Dyslexia. We're all going to have to pitch in and help out because we're looking at $4000 for a year's worth of one-on-one help. The problem is, if we sign the contract with Learning Links (Which I know to be an excellent company well worth the money.) for a year, we'll be paying in installments for 24 months and if MG just soars through and doesn't end up needing the full year (Which is very likely given how intelligent she is), then we're paying for something we aren't using in the long run. So, we've tossed around the idea of getting me trained for Dyslexia instruction, but that also costs around $1800. So... I'm doing some research this morning on the whole Dyslexia thing. Any of you girls have experience with this?
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Tonise, I have dyslexia, not a very heavy form of it but I have issues with placing the letters in the right spot... I can give you a few things you could consider for her...
first, I have a really good language teacher in high school, he really helped me a lot with one hour of extra one-on-one study in Dutch...I think that your niece should inform at school if they are willing to help her...
second, I think you'll find that people with dyslexia are in general really good with numbers... she could (I hope she wants) take more classes with math or something it,..
- don't put the presure on her too much, everything will go better if she takes things one step at the time...I know people like to put a label on her and say ooh she is dyslectic so she won't be able to do this or that, or is too slow to do that... but that will only cause her to make more mistakes and maybe even give up...
- for me I found that I have only issues with dyslexia in my own languages (dutch) english, german and even french went a lot easier...I finished high school with a C for Ducth but I had a B+ and B for German and English...
- get her to read as much as possible, I found out that when I started to read a lot the writing became mocu better... reading out loud works really good also because when you pronounce something you learn where the letters should go...

one thing that is really helping with the reading issue are my glasses... I have been to the optician and asked to do a full scan of my eyes (distance correction but also prisma, don't know if it is named like that in the US)... my glasses makes it possible for me to read large amount of text without the letters misbehaving and go walking around the page...

I hope this helps a bit... :blush:
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Hey sisters. Apparently, last night, after I logged in, I got all comfy to do a first read through of everyone’s posts and promptly passed out. :lol: Hubs came upstairs to find me asleep curled up in front of my laptop. So, he shut down and tucked me in. This week must have taken a bit harder toll on me than I thought. So, here I am, getting all caught up before we run off to Nephew’s birthday party. He turns “fo” today. But, of course, I had to check in with my sisters first. So, here goes.

AnnMarie~ “Only problem he snores” :lol: Aw, poor dear. Yeah, that can put a damper on any trip. But, I’m sure the pleasure of having him with you will far outweigh any missed sleep in telling him to roll over. Don’t be silly. Most people get a little choked up at weddings. And of course you will have that kind of happiness. Patience serves us all in the end.

Amy~ Yes, yes you did. :lol: And by a lot, too. Grrr, I do hate it when we get the fallouts for coworkers mistakes. But, on the upside, it’s the weekend and you have two days where you don’t have to deal with it.

Susie~ I didn’t have a margarita. But, does a Margaritaville Spiked Lemonade count? I figured you and Hubs were biding your time. I’d say it’s likely best to wait until his grade is in and then write an “evaluation letter” which includes all of your concerns. 35th???? Are you sure that’s right? Well, have fun. Can’t wait to hear all about your Twilight discussions with your roomie.

Jaclyn~ Aww, that’s sweet. I know I was a little verklempt thinking about the one year anniversary of Susie’s trip to see me. Makes looking forward to Chicago even more exciting. Planning is going well, thanks. It’s a little frustrating because there are those in my office who just operate in panic mode, thinking that, just because the race is now a week out, everything is a crisis. I do not. Panicking never helps anything, and usually makes things worse, especially if there’s no crisis in the first place. So, I have a colleague who freaks out that I am leaving for a conference, even though I’ve done it every year for the last 5 and never had any problems taking care of things. The TCAs are Sunday night. They’ll air live on the east coast here in the US and tape-delayed on the west coast. I’m sure the good stuff will be up on YouTube in no time.

Joyce~ Technology can just be a giant pain in the rump, particularly when you are learning a new system. But, you’ll get the hang of it in no time, I’m sure. GAH!! I want a “Jasper says Relax” tshirt so bad!!! Hmmmm… I guess I won’t deny you your puppy-crush. Just leaves more Edward for me! :lol: Yes, it is always a struggle to decide exactly what lovely bit of Rob I’m going to post. But, on the up-side of that, it does mean that I always post something lovely, so I can’t really go wrong.

Marielle~ Ohhhhhh, YUMMMMY! I do love me some Peter. He’s just… RAWR! I’m so glad to hear your grandmother is not as dire as you thought. Believe me, I completely get it. One of the reasons I love my job and my colleagues so much is because I have a lot of independence there. As long as I get my projects done and on time, they could really care less if I take a wee bit of personal time and play online. Umm, yeah, I lost a good amount of time just scrolling through that post on Robsessed. Then again, his eyes are likely my favorite feature of his. Though most of him is pretty close on that list. :twisted: Wow, I never would have suspected at all that you are dyslexic. Those were some great suggestions to Tonise

Karenna~ I get you. There’s things that I will purposely wait to do at work because my internet connection is even faster than my home. T1 is just fantastic. On the downside, even though I have cable modem at home and my connection is awesome, some days, compared to at work, I feel like I’m riding a turtle. :lol: See, that’s just not winter to me. I need my snow and cold. Somehow, the world just doesn’t feel right to me. What can I say, I’m weird that way.

Tammy~ :wave: I don’t think anything you ever make, particularly with Rob could be described as plain!

NewJen~ YAY!! I’m so glad you’ll be able to make it. Trust me, we’ll hold you to it, girl.

Tonise~ Wow!! Awesome. You’re so far ahead of most teachers here. In fact, most of them aren’t even allowed into their rooms until this week. By our state laws, we have what are called Teacher Work Days, and the teachers are only allowed into their buildings on those days, which are set by the school board in their district based on when they start school. Most of my teacher friends find it frustrating as all get out. That would be really cool if you are willing to take on the extra work for your niece. I think one question to consider is how long it would take for you to go through the training. If she would benefit from the immediate instruction, it might not be as helpful if it takes you several months to get through it. Although, maybe you could combine the ideas. Could you sign on for a shorter intervention with Learning Links while you complete the classes and then you could take over when her time with LL is up? Also, it looks like Marielle had some very good ideas as well. In my special ed instruction, those were all tactics that we learned to work with students with dyslexia.

Alright, ladies. I’m off to play with the inlaws for a bit. Then back home, get packed and off to my conference tomorrow. I have to say, I LOVE the conference I’m going to. It’s like summer camp. It’s the same core group of about 40 of us that are there every year and we hold the conference in a different city each year, so there’s always fun new things to do. Last year, we took a DuckBoat tour of Boston Harbor. This year, we’re going to the National Spy Museum. And, I’m HOPING that I can score an individual ticket to see Wicked at the Kennedy Center. Plus, on top of it all, I get to see BabySiL and her hubbins. I’ll check in with y’all tomorrow afternoon when I get where I’m going. *hugs*

Of course, I couldn't leave without leaving some love. Somehow, this seems appropriate today. :lol:
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
vampirelover109
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by vampirelover109 »

Good evening girls

I've had a good day you know I've been baking a lot lately well I've been doing it by cheating a little and vying the packs where you just chuck it in the bowl with the eggs and bun it in the oven well today I brought all the ingredients and made it myself I made a spongecake and I made fairy cakes with icing and sprinkles so I'm quite proud of myself then I've done some writing and wAtched HP goblet of fire and has another wonderful "rob moment" I went to the kitchen to grab a drink come
in the livid room took one look at rob and banged my foot on the table I know I'm just that cool and calm when it comes to rob tomorrow should be fun I have church in the morning and then first football match of the season so excited

Anyway on to your posts

Caryn- hope you have a good time on your course it dosent sound like work at all I always hey emotional when it comes to Weddings especially people I know. It just makes me think about my life and what I have to show for it your right it won't matter about my best friend snoring I'm just happy that he wants to come to Florida with me I think he has an ulterior motive see his fab animals are turtles and when I told him they have turtles he got a bit jealous

Marielle - I'm so glad your grandmas ok I can imagine how scary that must of been enjoy HP but that's a silly question

Tonise - sorry the weather messed up your plans for sitting by the pool but you can still enjoy the shopping right? I'm glad your classrooms al ready for the new school year

Right I'm off catch you later

team edward all the way
VolturiGirl
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by VolturiGirl »

Tonsie ~I have dyslexia. I have been battling with it since forever and I still do. I took therapy ( I guess that is what you can call it) for a year. My problem is that my letters get mixed up. For example, I look at a word and I want to spell it out loud. Say the word is treasure. I see the word "treasure" in my head but when I try to spell it out loud it come out something like "tresaure" and I don't even realise that I said it like that. Even now when I type the word "word" I keep typing 'work'. (the middle finger on the opposite hand keeps messing me up.) It is very frustrating. Even when counting. When I use my calculator and the total comes up as 45. I see it but I write 54. I think I burn up spell check on a computer. I will even type a few sentances for you so you know what I'm talking about without spell checking it so you can see what I'm talking about.

So i'm taking my keds to the pook to day with my mom and my nephew. I have to find thier swimtrunks in their bedroom to day. My boys dediced to hide the sunblock from me.

I hate it. If I think of things to type, the letters get switched. d/k, e/i ect...etc... I'm not stupid or illiterate in the least. I struggle on a daily basis. In my therapy sessions, my teacher would hold up flash cards with five numbers in random order. I would have only but a few seconds to look at them before she would set it down so I couldn't see the numbers. I would have to write down what I see. We did about 10 sets of these. I also did word searches. You can get those at any gas station or k-mart/wal-mart. Games like Super Mario or any game where I would have to focus on a character were incouraged.
It's not something that is curable, it's a daily struggle. Like in typing this. It takes me longer because I have to go back and do a lot of correcting. It's not easy for me to talk about this because it makes me feel......stupid...?? It's hard for people who don't have dyslexia to understand the struggle. It's like they look at the stuff that I write and are like "that's wrong" when it looks right to me when I write it down. Sometimes it takes a few seconds looking at it to see that they are right. It's embarassing and frustrating.

I hope this helps. At least it's this way for me.
Banner by Tammy AZ

Aro, Caius, Marcus
The Original Godfathers
GOLDENGIRL59
Wandering Through Town

Post by GOLDENGIRL59 »

Well this is my quickest Quickie. Just wanna drop a Hot "HI" to everyone while I wait for Amy to get into her swim suit. So for all of you that are scorching in the summer heat.....This swim's for YOU :yahoo: Don't think it's all relaxing though because I'm sharing in the "Joy and Laughter" of these 2 UM, active grandsons of mine LOL!. Last week I had 3 of the grandsons and me and Amy decided to have chicken fights. She let me sit on her shoulders....We won't be doing that again anytime soon.I think she'll be mended by our November movie date (crossing fingers). If you don't live where it's hot.....Well I'm sending you some sunshine. If you're in a cooler climate then, here's a warm hug for you (A big bear hug) A wolf hug if you like the Wolf-gang ;) I admittedly do. But Edwards my first love....
I'm actually celebrating my first obsession today.... I Love Lucy's 100 years!!!! Just got I dont watching " The Long Long Trailor" It would take me forever to share all the Mattell dolls and goodies I've collected over the years. So just a shout out to anyone that's ever had a love for Lucy.
Have a wonderful Day and I'll be sneaking back in tonight :wave: gotta fix some popscicles for the boys.........Bye

Banner by Tammy AZ