Rob's Halfway House #11

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Re: Rob's Halfway House #11

Post by marielle »

I love to see so many sisters online!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm looking forward to do my mega post tomorrow. So many things to reply on...

I'm off to bed in a few minutes. My cold is making me so bloody tired and I'm turning in early today...

Tell me what romantic thing happened to you today!!

Me nothing....it was raining ice outside and I deemed it too dangerous for my bf to go out and get me something. I'd rather he stayed in one piece...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Marielle - Most romantic thing today (so far): My husband woke up early this morning just to shovel the driveway for me, even though he didn't sleep well last night and he didn't need to get up for work and could have slept longer. That's true love. (It should be noted that we have a very long driveway and he was out there for 20 minutes shoveling.) p.s. I forgot to say I loved the quote you posted earlier. Also - sorry you're not feeling well.

This is how I feel about Rob:
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

It's wonderful to see so many people back here again! :)

I'm having a bit of a 'me' day today. I did most of my work for Rochelle on Wednesday and yesterday, so I have one more hour to do for her today then I'm going clothes shopping. It's a while since I've done anything like that.

Suzan - that's a horrible thing to happen in the shower! My goodness! Your upstairs neighbours should definitely be paying for that. It's unfair that you should have to.

I've loved everyone else's offerings. I hope you all had a great day!
Songbird
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Songbird »

Hi Siblings! Happy Valentines Day. So sorry I'm late...I have a sick kid who was very clingy today. But better late than never!

Suzan, isn't that illegal for the landlord to refuse to check it? It's his responsibility....that's why you pay rent. Can you withhold rent until he settles the bill? That happened in the US to my brother and I, except it wasn't the drain, but a pipe was leaking and we had called about the leak and a bulge in the floor numerous times and they said it wasn't an emergency, so they didn't fix it, but then the whole thing caved in on the neighbors downstairs and then they HAD to fix it. But we didn't have to pay because it wasn't our fault. I don't know what the laws are like here, but I would assume if it was the neighbors' fault, that they would have to pay for the repairs. It shouldn't be your responsibility anyway.

Ok, I brought us some cake, since today is also Cake Day!
Cake

I think we need some romantic atmosphere...maybe mood lighting:
atmosphere

And some more atmosphere, with a place to sit down and eat our cake:
table

One of my favorite quotes is just the simple: "Be safe". It says so much.
My other favorite quote is "I refuse to be affected by territorial disputes between mythical creatures."

Amy, Did you invite Jacob or did he gate crash? Either way, I am glad he made it. I know not everyone is a fan, but I loves me some Taycob!!!
Signature artwork by TammyAZ
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Question -

Are the 8 guests I see listed as viewing the thread mostly siblings who haven't signed in?
Just wondering.
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

Hi everyone.

I have some more stuff for the party. First, here's the video of "Heavy in Your Arms" that my friend Lia did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... tsZ_Y&NR=1

And for more Bella and Edward romance, there's this--it's about the most romantic yet non-fan servicey thing I could find.

Now, a little rant/point of discussion for me. You all know that I'm a fan of the manga/anime series Bio-Booster Armor Guyver. However, I'm far from being a manga/anime expert--you'd have to ask my brothers about a lot of that stuff. However, Guyver sticks out to me, in part because I was exposed to it when I was really young (I was 9-10 when Manga Entertainment first distributed the OVA cartoons on VHS), and it does have an interesting story line. Of course, Guyver isn't easy to follow as far as being a fan in North America or Europe unless you visit a good message board or have a subscription to Guyver Advocacy, a fan-sub group that translates the Japanese manga into English (and picks up where Viz left off about 15 years ago). However, because of so many Guyver websites that are out there now, I've been able to do my research.

Of course, the most shocking thing about Bio-Booster Armor Guyver is it's many similarities to, of all things, the Twilight Saga! I know that I've talked about a lot of them before, but with this being Valentine's Day, I'll stick to the romantic ones and do pretty deep into them as far as why that goes hand and hand with Twilight.

First of all, we all know about Bella and Edward from Twilight. Well, Guyver has it's own Bella and Edward romance, in the form of Sho and Mizuki. And that's not the only similarity, as the males in both relationships have a secret that they don't want the one they love to know, and the angst involved with that. And once said secret is out, the males in these relationships then do everything in their power to protect their girlfriends. Edward vows to protect Bella, though she does her fair share of savin' his butt, too. And Sho uses the power of his Guyver armor to protect his friends and loved ones, with Mizuki coming in at #1 on that list, and she's his main reason for fighting to end the evil that he's fighting. Of course, there's been a few times, IMO, that Mizuki has saved Sho's hide (or even his allies), too. Such as when she's or someone else is in danger and she screams Sho's name, and she's been one of the few people who has been shown to have the power to deactivate Guyver I's(as Sho's Guyver form is known) self-defense mode, again by calling out his name.

And then, like Bella and Edward, their relationship moves from infatuation to genuine love, and even into the physical realm. And yes, I've seen a scene in a recent chapter of manga with Sho and Mizuki, and all I'm gonna say is that it wouldn't look out of place if it was Bella and Edward instead, and that it's more fan servicey than how B&E's scenes were depicted in the novels, and that it would for sure give the BD film scenes a run for their money at the least. So, yes, like Bella and Edward, Sho and Mizuki are lovers, and Guyver for sure has that romance as an important plot element. However, in Guyver, the romance is more for the "awww, that's cute" element rather than it taking center stage like in Twilight, though both deal with pretty mature thematic elements regarding romance, which, after all, aside from aiming at different genders, Twilight and Guvyer heavily target the teen/YA audience.

And of course, there's Shizu and Agito/Guyver III, who were childhood friends like Sho and Mizuki are/were, and it's speculated that Shizu and Agito are for sure at least something like a BG/GF pairing, if not a husband/wife pairing. Shizu is obviously a huge admirer of Agito and is sweet on him for sure, and though he's not as overtly enthusiast, he does return the favor with those feelings, especially in a recent chapter of Guyver.

However, I fail to see why in Guyver, men see the romance as being "awwwww, that's cute and nice", while in Twilight, it's ridiculed and poked fun at. I mean, there's plenty of fodder in Guyver to be probed for humor, and the same can be said of Twilight. But in the end, there's more in common between the stories than I think that a lot of people--especially Guyver fans, most of whom are male--will let on. I find the romance in Guyver to be every bit a gushy as it is in Twilight. I don't see too much difference in one having a super-powerful vampire as a BF and getting entangled in that supernatural world and wanting to help him see his inner humanity, and a girl who ends up having one of her best friends become an unwilling armor-plated superhero who battles evil ailens, and said girl falls head over heels for him because he helps protect her and she wants to help him any way she can. Not a lot of difference there, IMO.

I know that the romance angles are handled a bit differently, but they're there in force in Guyver, and for sure, Twilight, and they accomplish the same things. Guyver has a pretty gush romance--Sho's and Mizuki's being every bit as much as Bella's and Edward's, IMO--but guys seem to turn away from that (the "that's cute" angle) because of Guyver's violence and action. Well, a lot of that violence and action comes about because of the gushy romance between the two leads, and what action happens in Twilight is a product of the two leads' romance. Again, if one knows where to look, you can find similarities in two different things, and I find that to be kinda cool, especially with the romance element, which I'll be playing up heavily in my fan fic.

Now that I ranted about that, I can expand if anyone wants me to, but I think that I covered the bases with the basics on romance between the two series. And besides, the romance in Twilight is a breath of fresh air (as is it in the depiction of vampires), and and I don't think that Guyver would be quite right without some romance in the air, there.

As for me, since I'm single and don't really have a GF or anything like that, my personal romance quotient isn't that high today. I got up, went to work, got some cereal, cooking oil, and a pizza, and went home and hopped on here. Valentines day wasn't even really mentioned at work--and 95% of the people I work with are women! If you'd think that Valentines day would be brought up, it would be at a place were almost all the staff are women. At least here's a lot busier than at work on that front.

I'll be having to get off of here at about 7:30 or so--my brother has an online NASCAR race to do. And the first actual NASCAR race this year will be Saturday night, too. Might watch if I get bored, but I'll probably find something else to do instead, like work on my fan fic, which will have a little bit of romance between Lia and Camel to close out chapter 6.

I hope that everyone had a nice Valentine's day. I'll probably hop on after my brother is done with his race, then I'll probably sleep in tonight--I can sleep in since I don't have to go into work until 1:00, but I'll still have to leave at about 12:00 to get my paycheck, cash it, pay car insurance, and then get to work. And then I'll be there until 5:00, so it'll be almost dark when I get off work, which at my job will be a first.

I'll be back later :)
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

Drive-by post as I drive home from work on the west coast. Late to the party but i'll check back later!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

Here! I'm tired, cranky and generally hating on this holiday at the moment, but I'm here. :)

Wishing I was more awake so I could give a proper update, but I have nodded offf at least three times just typing thiiiiiiiiiii...

See what I mean, lol!

I'll be back later. Probably in the morning. ;)

TwilightFan87
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by TwilightFan87 »

Hey everyone!! I'm here- better late than never :) I had to work this morning but didn't sleep well so I came back and took a long nap then had to get Jason's presents wrapped. We got Panda Express- my favorite Chinese place- because neither of us felt like dealing with the crowds :) now we're watching TV, since everything is Valentines Day themed :)

Jason made me a girly gift bag full of candles, candy, new earrings, and a small gift card to my favorite used bookstore! The man knows the way to my heart! Oh and calla lillies :)

I've skimmed the posts- very nice everyone!

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/ ... 52-864.jpg

http://coolvibe.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 92x937.jpg

If I have time I might do a quote later but I wanted to contribute something :) it's so nice to see it so active here!!!

Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Hello wonderful Sisters of the Traveling Pattinson!! You have a new home. I will let this one remain open for a day or two, but your new digs are waiting for you HERE! Enjoy decorating and have a blast with Valentines Day. I love you all,
Kayla

And for each of you, here's what we all wish for...