Rob's HH #12: Sisterhood of the Pattinson

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: Rob's HH #12: Sisterhood of the Pattinson

Post by Tornado »

Hi there!

The book launch went well, although I was disappointed with the turnout. I invited about 300 people and we had about 20. A lot of people who'd said they'd come didn't bother to turn up. I still sold 21 books but unfortunately, I needed 25 to cover my costs. Now, it still got some buzz going about the book and all the invitations had the book's details on them, so hopefully the people who didn't come will buy it on Kindle. It was still a good day and I guess I shouldn't be disappointed, but it still stings.

Sarah - I'm glad you had a nice weekend. I need to start my Christmas shopping but I've been so busy these last few weeks I haven't got to it yet!
TwilightFan87
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by TwilightFan87 »

Well our big storms turned out to be nothing..just lots and lots of rain! We were prepared to skip clients on Friday but everyone had power and the big wind storm anticipated for yesterday was pretty mild. I still stayed home for the most part, as I caught a mild cold from my boss, who got it from her daughter. At least everything we bought in preparation for the storm we'll still use :)

Lynne-oh I'm so sorry the turn out wasn't as much as you wanted :/ disappointing. How are the online sales doing?
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Hey there!

Today's a pupil-free day, which means the teachers are at school but the kids aren't. This is the only one we have per year that's not on school holidays and it's always really awkward because it means I have to ask my boss to do work from home AGAIN, after having done that for two weeks just a couple of weeks ago for the actual school holidays. Fortunately, I have an editing job for her at the moment and was able to get a good chunk done on the weekend, but I still feel guilty for not going in, even though it's not really my fault and she's okay with it.

I've got a writers' conference coming up in a couple of weeks, so I'll be going to Sydney for the weekend. I'm looking forward to it. It's going to be the first time I get to be nothing but an author/editor all weekend, which is kind of fun! I'm presenting a workshop on structural editing, which is a tricky thing to instruct when you've only got time to talk at people, but I've been doing a lot of planning so I hope any attendees will learn something.

Sarah - Hope your cold is all gone now. Yes, it was a bit disappointing, but I noticed my Amazon rank jumped up around the time of the book launch so that's a good thing. That means I have sold some stuff online. I don't receive those figures directly, though. They go to my publisher, but the change in rank means there have been sales. :)
TwilightFan87

Post by TwilightFan87 »

Hey all!

I've spent the week recovering from my cold and the 'storm' we had ;) but it's been a quiet week other than that. I feel like the holidays are coming, slowly slowly, and it always cheers me up during Halloween. It's such a depressing holiday. I can't remember if it's a big deal in Aussie or not but here it's a big thing. At least the churches can use it as an outreach..and candy is always a good thing ;)

Lynne-oh good, glad to hear there was some impact from it! Your conference sounds fun. Are you working on anything new or just focusing on Once Confronted?
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Hey there!

The conference is this weekend, and I think I'm finally prepared for it. I practised my workshop on the weekend and it seems to be okay. Hopefully it will go okay.

I'm off to work today where it's really busy. I have to finish editing someone's thesis today. Hopefully they've sent in the final section so I can get started on it first thing.

Sarah - Halloween is getting bigger over here but it's still nothing like it is in America. Occasionally, Little Man wants to participate but that's only because of all the lollies on offer. I have another manuscript that I had been working on but I'm a little stuck on one of the plot developments at the moment. I'm hoping talking to some authors this weekend might help resolve the problems.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I'm off to Sydney for a conference today so I won't be back here for a few days. :)
TwilightFan87

Post by TwilightFan87 »

Hey all!

It's November 1st, so it kind of feels like the unofficial retail Christmas kick off. I've been preparing for the last month, trying to spread out the spending. But it's been nice to do fall-like things as well.

We carved pumpkins with my parents last week, which was fun because Jason likes to make an ugly pumpkin, just for kicks. He gave his a uni-brow :lol: I hate pumpkin goop so I bought a cheap kit and made mine look like a kitty.

Last night was Halloween, so I kept the blinds shut and the majority of the lights off so no trick or treaters came to visit. I donated candy to the church for their outreach so I didn't feel too bad ;)

Lynne-how was the conference? Halloween is getting so overblown here, it's ridiculous. I hate the fake gore and scary stuff..too depressing. The costumes and candy I get..the rest, not so much.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Hey there!

The conference went really well but it was exhausting! I had about 30 attend my workshop on structural editing, which was way beyond my expectations. Everyone seemed to enjoy it as well. The whole weekend was intense but very enjoyable.

Sarah - Halloween's slowly getting bigger over here. Every year Little Man asks me hopefully if we're going to celebrate it. Each year I tell him no.
TwilightFan87

Post by TwilightFan87 »

Hey all!

I've can't believe it's already the second week of November...we're only two weeks away from Thanksgiving and that means Christmas isn't far off. So crazy!! I've been busy stripping a table I bought over the summer in hopes I'll get it refinished before Christmas Eve but if I don't, it'll be okay. It's been taking a lot longer than I thought but I like working with my hands.

I'm so sick of hearing about the election and I'm glad it's over, that's all I can say. I need to focus on happier stuff!

Lynne-oh wow, awesome! So glad it went well!!
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Hey there!

Last weekend was the first time I had to cancel a book signing, as I had a terrible flu and could hardly talk, much less sit at a table for a couple of hours. Fortunately, it was an event with multiple authors so it went on without me anyway. I have another book signing tomorrow. It will be my last one for a few weeks, which is probably a good thing, as I'm exhausted. Work is so busy and I'm refusing any private editing jobs at the moment because I'm so exhausted. It always hurts to do that because if you turn customers away they don't usually come back.

I have read SM's new book, The Chemist, and enjoyed it. It is a big departure from what she's written previously, with a fairly amoral protagonist. Well, I suppose she does have morals but she's a true believer in the end justifying the means. I don't think all Twilight fans will enjoy it.

Sarah - yes, Christmas will be here soon. I'm looking forward to it as it means I can have a break from all the book promo.