True Blood-- Based on The Southern Vampire Mysteries Series

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Edward Cullen Fan
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: True Blood-- Based on The Southern Vampire Mysteries Ser

Post by Edward Cullen Fan »

I'm surprised no one has talked about the most recent episode yet. So I shall begin. If you haven't seen it, don't read this.

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

Sookie? A freaking fairy?!?! :evil: Yeah, right. :roll: I thought it was horrible last season, but it has only gotten worse this season. They are straying so far from the book I'm about to rip my hair out. The show is absolutely ridiculous now. I don't care to see it anymore, to be perfectly honest. I'll only just get even more mad, judging by next week's previews. I am NOT happy with the writers. :evil:

Let me just say to those who haven't read the books: Yes, I understand shows and movies aren't exactly like the books, but like I said previously, this level of change is ridiculous. Sookie is a telepath, a waitress, but she is no fairy. Please, just trust me on this.

I wanted to hurl something at the TV when it ended. :evil:

Anyone else with me on this?
RudeDesigns
Settled in Forks

Post by RudeDesigns »

Edward Cullen Fan wrote:I'm surprised no one has talked about the most recent episode yet. So I shall begin. If you haven't seen it, don't read this.

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

Sookie? A freaking fairy?!?! :evil: Yeah, right. :roll: I thought it was horrible last season, but it has only gotten worse this season. They are straying so far from the book I'm about to rip my hair out. The show is absolutely ridiculous now. I don't care to see it anymore, to be perfectly honest. I'll only just get even more mad, judging by next week's previews. I am NOT happy with the writers. :evil:

Let me just say to those who haven't read the books: Yes, I understand shows and movies aren't exactly like the books, but like I said previously, this level of change is ridiculous. Sookie is a telepath, a waitress, but she is no fairy. Please, just trust me on this.

I wanted to hurl something at the TV when it ended. :evil:

Anyone else with me on this?
co-sign , i just had this conversation yesterday with my cousin whose a fan of the show but didn't read the books. i feel like season 1 and 2 were close enough to the books that i don't care that they changed some things and expanded everyones storyline. (they basically have to i mean theyre making 12, 1-hour episodes out of 1 book thats smaller than the books we get 2 hour twilight saga movies from) but this season is going way off course, i like everyones storylines except sookie/bill/eric (on a side note does anyone find sophie-anne's character annoying and almost unecessary?) it seriously seems to me that theyre trying to make sookie and bill's relationship like the adult version of bella/edward .... which is ridiculous because theyre far from it.
Twilight<3
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Twilight<3 »

SPOILERS BELOW:

I hate to break it to you guys, but Sookie is a fairy in the books. The producers of the show are just skipping ahead in the books to where that is.

Personally, I think the show is much better than the books and that is so rare to happen. The books are very bland and boring. They only follow Sookie's storyline, whereas in the show, they really make it interesting and have a lot of character development that is not shown in the books. I definitely like most, not all, changes made and it's great to see all the side stories.

On a different note, I really do not think they are trying to make Sookie and Bill's relationship like the adult version of Bella and Edward. Bill and Sookie don't even make it through this. I couldn't even compare the books/the show to the Twilight saga. They are so completely different from each other.
RudeDesigns
Settled in Forks

Post by RudeDesigns »

wow a fairy ,really? of all the mythological and supernatural beings to choose from and charlaine harris picked a fairy? ... that sounds really lame lol i'll keep watching thought if only for everyone else's storylines ,i've only read the first 3 books i tried not to read ahead of the show because i dont wanna expect too much out of it like i generally do reading books vs watching movies/shows guess it wouldnt hurt to read ahead now.
Twilight<3
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Twilight<3 »

Yeah, it isn't until about book seven when Sookie finds out she is one. Needless to say, the show is really skipping ahead! Same with the whole Crystal/Jason storlyine. I don't remember which book that's in, but I'm fairly sure it's passed the third book.
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

SPOILER BELOW

It is true about the fairy thing - Sookie does have a small amount of fairy blood in her but this isnt revealed until quite a few books down the line.

Cant say ive really compared these books to The Twilight Saga as they are so different in many ways. When reading the books themselves Bill & Sookie's relationship is nothing like Bella & Edwards. If it is heading that way in the TV series however then maybe Alan Ball and the writers have been influenced by Twilight a little. I cannot comment though as only series 1 has been shown in the UK.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
RudeDesigns
Settled in Forks

Post by RudeDesigns »

let me explain where i get the bill/sookie = edward/bella i dont mean EXACTLY the same but the ammount of similarities is kinda ironic to me...

ok starting from season 1/saga pt 1

youre introduced to the characters...

bella - the human,virgin,kinda shy but attracts alot of attention from the opposite sex obviously.
sookie - the human (at this point we dont know about the fairly blood just telepathy),virgin shy and attracts attention from the opposite sex.

bill - the hundred something year old vampire who dosent feed on humans anymore,and somehow finds something intriguing about (human girl described above)

edward - hundred something year old vampire who dosent feed on humans anymore (although he admited that he has before in the book more so than in the movie) and somehow finds something intriguing about the (human girl described above)

sookie is attracted more to bill because her telepathy reqiures her to constantly hear everyones thoughts but his.
edward is attracted more to bella because his mind reading abilities apparantly have no effect on her.

edward/bill - both extremely protective of their human would go to any lengths to keep them safe/happy.

introduce jacob a second love interest for bella and he just happens to be a wolf/shape shifter.
intro sam, a second love interest for sookie and what is he again? .. oh yeah .. shape shifter.

now i know sookie has a couple more numerous love interests that develope later in the story (i.e. eric,alcide..etc)

season 1 TB - a group of 3 vampires including 2 males 1 female threaten sookie
Twilight 1 - a group of 3 vampires including 2 males ,1 female threaten bella (taken that laurent didnt exactly make a threat,he DID try to kill her in new moon)

there are ALOT of similarities about the story. i also know there is ALOT thats completely d ifferent. but please lets not act like we never noticed some of these obvious similarities.
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

When you point them out like that, there are some similarities, but then again it would be hard to write a series of books without having any influence from previous well known vampire stories. It would be difficult to come up with new concepts and ideas hence similarities are made. Interesting point though RudeDesigns
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
BlueStarEgo
Lusting for Blood

Post by BlueStarEgo »

For anyone who has been constanly following the show and is updated with season 3 I have a question. I don't quite understand why Russell needed to marry the queen of Louisiana. If he was with Talbot like I thought he was why has he proposed to her in the past also?
Last edited by BlueStarEgo on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrissy | Team.Edward(T)/Damon(TVD)/Eric(TB)/Adrian(VA)Peeta(THG) | Music.Addict
- - * will you still love me tomorrow? - Amy Winehouse
SweetImpakt
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by SweetImpakt »

@BlueStarEgo - If he marries he's not only king of MS, but also becomes king of Louisiana, which gives him loads more power

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]