The Time Travelers Wife - Movie and Book

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

The Time Travelers Wife - Movie and Book

Post by Alphie »

So I've recently fallen in love with Eric Bana. SWOON! When I found out he was going to be in this movie, I went out and read the book. I looked all over the Lex for this discussion and I couldn't find it anywhere. I saw a few posts about people having seen the film, but I thought there might be some good discussion on book vrs film in here. Thus, I need to warn those who read the thread that if you haven't read the book or seen the movie there will be spoilers in here - especially considering that the book was different from the film. (Aren't they all?)

Anyway...

I was so very caught up in the book. I couldn't figure out how the author (whose name I can't even TRY to spell) kept the time line straight. There were some amazing stand out moments to me that the movie totally missed. Like Claire and Henry's first time together when she was 18 just before the 2 year separation. Or the time when they tied that creepy guy she dated to a tree and scared the crap out of him. And I just adored the time Henry and Claire go to a club in the now and Henry from the future shows up and she hugs him and says that she misses him! Talk about brain bending. UGH!

And the movie had some really great things, too. Eric Bana nekkid in the stacks NEVER gets old. Sigh... And the montage of their life together when he would just suddenly vanish. I liked the one where he was setting the table, rounded the corner, and CRASH goes the plate. I thought the wedding was done nicely and made it more obvious with the visual how odd it would look to the family that the groom suddenly had gray hair. I thought the aging of all the character was great. Costumes, too. The outfit he was wearing when his friend spotted him beating up that guy... PERFECTION! And probably the one change the movie made from the book that worked so much better for me was when she went to pick up a "past" Henry in the car and left the "Now" Henry on the couch... and that was where Alba came from rather than the kind of kinky and rather unbelievable way it was done in the book... if you know what I mean.

But what the movie missed... oh boy. Why oh why oh why didn't they keep the ending? I was so looking forward to seeing her in her 80's seeing him again. The ending of the film was nice, but the book did it better. And his feet? Seriously? Couldn't they have gone with the book and taken his feet? It made it more obvious as to how he was going to die. OH! And why did they change how he convinced his doctor what he was? I thought it was so much more meaningful having it be about the doctor's child than about some grant he was waiting for.

Still, anyway you slice it, I love the story. I heard she is writing a sequel. Anyone know about this? How can she write a sequel when she ended it the way she did? Maybe it's Alba's story and we get bits of Henry and Claire in it that way. Not sure.
Landiana
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: Near London, wondering if the crazy lobsters have formed their plan of attack

Re: The Time Travelers Wife - Movie and Book

Post by Landiana »

i haven't actually read the book yet - it is on my amazon wish list, just waiting for when i get my next pay check.

i did love the film when i saw it in the cinema. it is one of the saddest films i have ever seen - i was sat there for the last 45 minutes crying my eyes out, because i knew that he was going to die. a couple of things didn't seem right for me though, they didn't fit in with the film. i understand that Alba had more control, but when she was a child i feel that she would have traveled more. i did love the way they did the weding scene.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4851042/1/English_Vampires
Please read my fanfic!

Team Edward
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

Hello.
I've saw the film and read the book (I actually saw the film first...but wish I'd read the book first as I think sometimes it ruins it for you...). But anyways, I really loved them.

Firstly I argree about the timeline - it was most confusing! lol. I mean, I don't understand how the author managed to arrange it all in her head! Very impressed!

I also agree about the ending, I wished the film was the same as the book. That image stayed with me for a long time...old Clare every day sitting, waiting on Henry to come back. It makes me want to cry just thinking about it!
And I agree about the feet. I proper felt his pain when Henry lifts up the sheet and sees that he had no feet and he just screams.

One of the bits I thought was done really well in the book was September 11th. When Henry wakes up Clare to tell her its happening and the tv presenter is saying "oh my god, oh my god". That bit gave me goosebumps. I didn't even think that he would know about 9/11, and the fact that he does, and he can't do anything about it.
Also, when he ends up in the cage in the library in the book, a place he wished he never would time travel too, I thought was done really well.

But I really liked the movie too! The wedding was beautiful, and it was kinda funny to see the family wonder why Henry had grey hair lol.

Although, did anyone else think that Gomez was really nice in the film, but really nasty in the book?
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
Lieziewiezie
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by Lieziewiezie »

I've read very fast through your posts, since Belgium is hopelessly behind and we didn't got the movie in theaters yet. (which I'm extremly unhappy about).

I've read the book (by audrey niffenegger) this summer and I fell hopelessly in love. I read the book in one day, but it 'haunted' me for days after. It really got to me and the storyline really touched me. I really almost cried at the ending (and I'm not a crier). I really can't believe how the author kept track of the timeline either, it was really amazing. I got lost abit in it all whilest reading.

I'm really really curious to see the movie.
Thanks MRK for the banner!
Is a proud part of the Gen Y Lexily to escape reality!
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

I saw the movie & liked it okay. I didn't really know what to expect, but it still was different than I thought.

I've thought about reading the book since most books are better than their movis but I'm kind of nervous to. Does anyone know is it more of an adult book & have like explicit scenes or bad language? I'm assuming it's more of an adult book & I don't read anything that has that kind of stuff.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Sleep Nessie
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Sleep Nessie »

I was pretty disappointed actually. The movie left out so many details from the book that I think it ruined it for me. They didn't mention small things like Claire's super rough hands or how Henry was a nymphomaniac. I don't know. For me I liked the book wayyy better.
vampyre_princess
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by vampyre_princess »

I had to study the book for English last year, I loved the book! Cause it is done from Clare's point of view most of the time... I felt really connected to her...
I felt sorry for her whenever Hanry had to leave and she was left waiting... and all the miscarraiges

I saw the movie over the weekend... it was okay, I cried so it captured the mood of the book!
The plot how it was confused me as it was different to the book... But I know they had to do it in chronological order!!

I stiil think it was good... but I prefer the book!
♥ away with the fairies ♥
^ follow me :) please?
○Team Stefan○♠Team Switzerland♠
♀listv2~Pixie Rose
21Twilight21
Lured By the Scent
Location: Trying To Decide Between Edward, Stefan, & Dimitri <3!

Post by 21Twilight21 »

I loved this movie!! I got confused a couple of times with all the time changes, but it was still great! I didn't read the book, but I want to :)! Is the book easier to keep up with during the timeline??
Thanks Chrissy for my banner:
~Call me Kym~ I'm on the ListV2! *Paige is my TSB* Chrissy is my Talented Artist Friend :)
^Fee-B is my dependable buddy^
Lieziewiezie
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by Lieziewiezie »

I do own the movie on dvd and watched it twice since his release (the movie never ended up in theaters here).

The book is so much better then the movie, it captures the right emotions just so well and I feel the movie misses them. But it is still a good movie. I enjoyed watching it. But if I watched the movie first, I doubt if I'd read the book. I think I wouldn't comprehense so much about what it's really about by just watching the movie. The book is my altime favourite. And I feel the movie didn't do it complete justice.
Thanks MRK for the banner!
Is a proud part of the Gen Y Lexily to escape reality!
clpviolet
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by clpviolet »

I read the book and watched the movie....in that order. I absolutely loved the book :clap: , and it really got to me...I am a crier, so I was as usual a complete mess reading this book. :banghead: :cry: I had a hard time with the timeline sometimes too, I think whenever I got confused I would just re-read whatever parts over again. I also think they did a good job with the movie, basicly just following the events as if your reading it out of the book, but skipping random parts that were too graphic *ahem first time ahem* :lol: , or maybe just too complicated to try to explain without spending another hour to do so....lol :roll: Loved the ending too and It does suck that they didn't put it in the movie it woulld of been nice to at least get at least a glimse at that. Anyways thats about all I had to say.... :D :oops:
"You put your arms around me and I'm home" Christina Perri - Arms