What was the last movie you saw?

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by ringswraith »

How to Train Your Dragon.

Highly recommended. It's incredibly funny, and while the graphics aren't going to wow you like say Avatar I thoroughly enjoyed the story and characters.

wolfee
Settled in Forks

Post by wolfee »

watching the grudge 2, just got done with the first...seen em a bunch though

Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

For the last forty years or so, it would not be too much of an exaggeration to say that Clint Eastwood has kept the Western film alive. His best, both as a director and actor, is The Outlaw Josey Wales. Eastwood plays the title character, a Missouri farmer who sees his family slaughtered in the pre-credits sequence by "redlegs," Civil War guerrillas on the side of the Union. He joins a Confederate band in retaliation; after the war, he refuses to surrender. Instead, he makes his way west and south to a remote part of Texas. Along the way, he picks up an odd assortment of followers who begin to form a new family--a garrulous Cherokee (Chief Dan George, terrific), a Kansas girl (Sondra Locke, Eastwood's main squeeze for some 15 years) and her grandmother (Paula Trueman) and a young Navajo woman (Geraldine Kearns). This being an Eastwood Western, there are several impressive gunfight scenes; however, the most powerful scene is when Josey goes to meet the Comanche chief Ten Bears (Will Sampson)--not for a fight, but to talk of living together peacefully.

A noteworthy aspect of this film is the casting of the Native American roles. Just over a decade before this film, John Ford's Cheyenne Autumn had had three major Cheyenne roles--played by two Latinos and one Italian-American. Eastwood, by contrast, cast Native American actors--George, Kearns and Sampson--in every significant Native American role.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing

Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Tonight I watched La nuit americaine/Day for Night, one of Francois Truffaut's best films. It's an early example of what's called these days a "mockumentary," purporting to chronicle the filming of a movie called "Meet Pamela," directed by Ferrand (Truffaut himself). There's no central plot, just a series of vignettes from the production: the daily hissy-fits of the lead actor (Jean-Pierre Leaud), his lover the script-girl's elopement with a stuntman, the inability of a fading star (Valentina Cortese) to remember her lines, and everyone's worries that the leading actress (Jacqueline Bisset), just recovered from a nervous breakdown, will have a relapse. Helping Ferrand to hold things together is production assistant Joelle (Nathalie Baye in her first big role), a genius at improvising solutions to on-set snafus. This one is probably must-viewing for anyone interested in how movies are made.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing

Edwards_Bella
Learning to Love Green

Post by Edwards_Bella »

Remember Me
<3 Look after my heart - I've left it with you <3
Click on the egg

Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Sherlock Holmes last night. I thought it was ok.7/10
Banner by TammyAZ

Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Owing to, ahem, circumstances beyond my control, I was unable to post in this thread last night. So tonight, you get two movie reviews for the price of one :)

Last night I watched Airplane! Once upon a time a trio of filmmakers named Jim Abrahams and David and Jerry Zucker (often known as ZAZ) made some outrageously funny films, of which Airplane! was probably the best and funniest. ZAZ specialized in over-the-top parody, and there was no movie convention or cliche that they couldn't make fun of. Their biggest target in this film was a set of "airliner in distress" movies that were in vogue in the 1970s; but they also borrow liberally from a long list films from Knute Rockne All American to Saturday Night Fever. At the controls of the distressed Flight 209 are Peter Graves and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Also on board is a doctor who doesn't like to be called Shirley, Leslie Nielsen, who must care for a plane-load of passengers who have come down with severe food poisoning. In the control tower at their destination, Chicago, are Lloyd Bridges and Robert Stack. Julie Hagerty is the stressed-out stewardess, while her estranged boyfriend (Robert Hays) may be the only man on board who can land the plane. Ethel Merman does a great cameo as Lieutenant Hurwitz. While ZAZ misfire on a lot of their gags, they keep them coming so fast that you never have to wait long for the next side-splitter.

Tonight I switched to something slightly more serious and watched The French Connection. The Best Picture winner for 1971, it probably wasn't truly the best film that year (I'd rate both The Last Picture Show and McCabe & Mrs. Miller ahead of it, for starters). It is, however a very good movie, one of the best police procedurals ever filmed. Based on a true story, it tells about a big drug deal in New York, involving, yes, a French dealer (Fernando Rey), and also about the two cops (Gene Hackman and Roy Scheider) who break the case. William Friedkin directs (he won an Oscar, too), and keeps things gritty and tense throughout. The action sequences, especially a very famous car chase, have a more realistic feel than you generally see in this age of wire-fu and set-piece choreography.

Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

The 1999 remake of The Mummy is a fairly typical action/adventure film of the post-Star Wars era. By that, I mean a film where the story and script exist primarily as a skeletal framework for the big action set-pieces and the special effects. While my preference, when it comes to adventure films, is for those that tell a compelling story (and I will doubtless be writing about plenty of examples here in the future), I have always liked The Mummy fairly well. Primarily this is for three reasons: 1) Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz make for likable and charismatic leads, 2) Steven Sommers keeps things moving along at a brisk enough pace that you don't really notice the plot-holes that are big enough to fit a pyramid through, and 3) there is a tongue-in-cheek tone to the whole enterprise that is vastly preferable to action films that take matters ever so seriously (see the Star Wars prequels for prime examples of the latter tendency).

Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Tonight I watched On The Town, a very enjoyable musical. We follow three sailors who have 24 hours of leave in New York. Gabey (Gene Kelly) has visions of meeting a "real New York glamor girl," and when he has a brief encounter with dancer Ivy Smith (Vera-Ellen), he vows to track her down again before the day is over. Meanwhile, his friend Chip (Frank Sinatra) attracts the attention of sassy cab-driver Hildy (Betty Garrett), and Ozzie (Jules Munshin) takes advantage of a visit to a museum to hook up with anthropology student Claire (Ann Miller). The plot is wafer-thin, and some of the score from the stage musical (composed by Leonard Bernstein) was junked in favor of more lightweight tunes. However, this movie has an energy to it that keeps you hooked. And above all, it has Ann Miller.

Ann Miller never became a big star. She wasn't a great actress, but she could sing pleasantly and had a brassy but attractive screen personality. I think she had some of that in real life too; she broke into movies at a very young age by using a faked birth certificate. All that was secondary, however; what that girl could really do was tap dance. Give her a tap number, and she could just about steal a movie. Her "Prehistoric Man" number is definitely the high point of On the Town.

Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Just finishing up with Up IN the Air with George Clooney. So far it is good.
Banner by TammyAZ