What was the last movie you saw?

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Remember Me
Banner by TammyAZ
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

The Terminator was the film that put a couple of men named James Cameron and Arnold Schwarzenegger on the map, movie industry-wise. While both men have gone on to bigger things, I don't think either has ever made a better film. I'm sure the story needs little introduction--a killer cyborg is sent from the future to kill the mother of a future human resistance leader, a human is sent back to protect her. That's about it. Cameron is known these days for big films with bloated budgets, so it may shock some to learn that he made Terminator on a budget of $6 million--a bit more buying power in 1984 than today, but still a modest budget for a sci-fi, spfx-dependent movie back then (Return of the Jedi, one year earlier, had a budget of over $30 million). On that modest budget, Cameron gives us a little over 100 minutes where the suspense never lets up for more than the briefest of interludes. Brad Fiedel's pounding score amplifies the mood very effectively. Schwarzenegger, meanwhile, has a tremendous when he's onscreen, dominating every scene he's in despite having minimal dialogue. This one is, in its own way, a modern classic and not to be missed.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

The Book of Eli starring Denzil Washington
Banner by TammyAZ
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Post by The girlie-wolf »

Toy Story 3
Shai~ on the ListV2! ~Bunches of teams~ Team Quil-Alpha
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Over the past fifty years and more, there have been a lot of great crime films out of France. What makes La Balance unusual is that it was directed by an American, Bob Swaim. A Paris police squad led by Palouzi (Richard Berry) is determined to bring down the area's top mobster, Massina (Maurice Ronet). When their snitch is murdered, they recruit a replacement--a sometime pimp named Dede Laffont (Philippe Leotard). To get him to cooperate they put pressure on his hooker girlfriend, Nicole (Nathalie Baye), forcing Dede and Nicole to try to extricate themselves from a nearly impossible situation. Both the cops and gangsters are portrayed as equally ruthless; like Sam Fuller in Pickup on South Street, Swaim clearly sympathizes with the lovers who are caught in the middle. This one is very good.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Taking Woodstock
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

I watched the quirky but interesting Freeway tonight. It's an offbeat, modestly budgeted thriller, sort of in the "Wild Things" line, which attempts to tell a very modern version of the "Red Riding Hood" tale, mixed with some black comedy and some unsubtle but pointed social commentary. In this version, "Red" is a sub-working class teen named Vanessa (Reese Witherspoon, excellent as usual); when her mother and stepfather are arrested, she sets out to find her grandmother's house. On the way, she accepts a ride from a human "wolf" named Bob Wolverton (Kiefer Sutherland), and sure enough, there's dirty work afoot. Not a classic, but worth watching for a terrific performance from Witherspoon, and also for the late Brittany Murphy in a small role.

Reese Witherspoon is one of my favorite actresses, but one thing I'm kind of saddened by is that she's gotten a lot less daring in terms of the roles she takes. In the 1990s she'd regularly do films like this one or Election, where she played really fascinating characters--often flawed, but never bland. She hasn't done anything like this lately; I wish she would now and then.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

Toy Story 3. Great movie!! It was a little different than I expected but I still loved it. I'm so glad this is a franchise that hasn't gone down hill w/the sequels. (*cough* Shrek3 *cough*)
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Twilight :D
pennybug84 wrote:Toy Story 3. Great movie!! It was a little different than I expected but I still loved it.
Tottally agree:D
LestatFan17
Settled in Forks

Post by LestatFan17 »

Theaters: Toy Story 3. Great same as all the other Pixar movies :D
DVD: The Blues Brothers. Absolutly hilarious!