What was the last movie you saw?

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Jestak » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:44 am

Das Boot is, if you're not familiar with it, a war movie, one of the best ever made. The "boat" of the title is a German U-boat during World War II; the film is an adaptation of a novel by a German artist named Lothar-Gunther Bucheim, based on his experiences as an observer on an actual U-boat patrol during the war. The film is distinguished for 1) its extremely realistic, unromantic treatment of war and combat (it comes across as close to an antiwar war movie), and 2) the high level of dramatic tension throughout the film--not only during the action scenes, but what I think of as a "slow-burn" tension that prevails at other times (and sustaining tension through a film of this length--the director's cut runs well over 3 hours--is a remarkable accomplishment in itself). Jurgen Prochnow holds the whole thing together with his very intense portrayal of the U-boat captain. It is definitely director Wolfgang Peterson's best film.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing

Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:47 pm

The Lavender Hill Mob was one of several clever comedies produced in post-war England by Ealing Studios; they have a very good reputation which I have found to be fully justified. Alec Guinness stars as a mid-level bank clerk whose job includes riding inside the armoured van when the bank transfers gold around London. One day he comes up with a scheme to hijack the vanload of gold, and then smuggle the gold out of England in the guise of models of the Eiffel Tower, with the aid of his neighbor, Stanley Holloway (who just happens to produce such models in his business). They recruit a couple of petty thieves to help (creating the "mob" of the title), and the plot is on. Several original chase scenes, some clever dialogue and good performances from Guinness and Holloway make this one pretty memorable. Charles Crichton, who directed, went on years later to make A Fish Called Wanda, which has overtones of the earlier film.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing

funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:25 am

Back to the Future - To celebrate that this film was originally released 25 years ago in 1985 it was re-released at cinemas in the UK for a week and I went to see it. I would have been 3 when it came out originally but I have watched the film plenty of times since and know most of it by heart haha. It was great though having the opportunity to see it on the big screen with the loud sounds and music and the whole cinema experience. Parts of the film still make me laugh today, it has a great story and plot and back in its day the special effects were great (and still are today in my opinion).
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."

Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:15 am

You Kill Me is a movie with an interesting premise. Frank Falenczyk (Ben Kingsley) is a hit man for the Polish mob in Buffalo, but he's also an alcoholic. When his drinking interferes with business, the family sends him to San Francisco to dry out; while there, he finds the prospect of romance with ad saleswoman Laurel (Tea Leoni). Unfortunately, the execution in this one is lacking. Director John Dahl seems to have tried to keep everything low-key, but he evidently overdid it, as often it comes across as simply lifeless. Things pick up in the last 20 minutes or so, but it's a long time to wait.

Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:17 am

I watched a very good neo-noir tonight, Devil in a Blue Dress, based on Walter Mosley's novel. Easy Rawlins (Denzel Washington) is an out of work Black man in late 1940s Los Angeles. When he's offered what seems like an easy job--locating a woman named Daphne Monet (Jennifer Beals)--he has little idea what kind of trouble he's in for. His employer, DeWitt Albright (Tom Sizemore), isn't being very honest about who he's working for--not to mention that he's a sociopath of borderline sanity (that's for those of you who couldn't figure that out from his being played by Sizemore). Fortunately, Easy's friend Mouse (Don Cheadle), who may be even more lethal than Albright, turns up to help him out. Director Carl Franklin delivers a nice, twisty story and terrific period atmosphere. Washington gives one of his best performances as the lead, while Cheadle nearly steals the film.

Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:19 am

The 1980's were not a big decade for swashbucklers, but they did make a few good ones. One was Nate and Hayes, which I watched tonight. Rough-edged but honorable Captain Bully Hayes (a younger-than-you're-used-to Tommy Lee Jones) transports missionary Nate Williamson (Michael O'Keefe) and his fiancee Sophie (a radiant Jenny Seagrove) to the South Pacific island where they plan to minister to the natives. But when pirate and slaver Ben Pease (Max Phipps) overruns the island, kidnaps Sophie and leaves Nate for dead (but only mostly dead), Nate and Hayes must join forces to rescue Sophie. The script, cowritten by the soon-to-be-famous John Hughes, is rather clunky, but there is some good action and solid performances. Jones displays all the force of personality that eventually made him a star, while Seagrove is so lovely and charismatic that you'll wonder why she never became one--her Sophie is not one to sit on the sidelines cringing during the action sequences. Phipps is suitably formidable as the villain. O'Keefe is not quite as good--he has a stiffness as an actor--but he's solid in the action sequences. Not a classic, but a very enjoyable 90-odd minutes.

Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:22 am

It seemed like a good night for a western tonight--to be precise, John Ford's Stagecoach, his first western of the sound era. It's best known for the famous chase across the salt flats, but is also worthwhile for the interactions between the ensemble cast: John Wayne's almost impossibly naive Ringo Kid, Claire Trevor's prostitute with a heart of gold, John Carradine's fatalistic gambler, Berton Churchill's overbearing banker, Donald Meek's timid whisky drummer, etc. The movie gave Wayne's career a jump start--while it didn't make him a big star (Red River did), it did get him out of Poverty Row B-westerns and into more significant pictures. The film also played a part in reviving the Western as a genre--for most of the 1930s, studios had seen westerns as strictly B-pictures.

Also in the cast was Thomas Mitchell, who in 1939 may have had the most productive year an actor ever had. He had significant roles in five films: Stagecoach, Gone With the Wind, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Only Angels Have Wings, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame. All five are still well regarded today, the first three were nominated for Best Picture (I imagine most of you know which one won), and he earned a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his performance as the drunken Doc Boone in Stagecoach.

Nessa645
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Nessa645 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:59 am

Case 39. It was a good movie

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

EdwardIsMyVampireGod
Settled in Forks

Post by EdwardIsMyVampireGod » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:34 pm

VampireAlternative wrote:I just saw Pirates Of The Caribbean II. Awesome! :D
I love that film it's one of my favorites. johnny depp is one of my only over obsession over than twilight!!

Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:25 am

I've always felt that Star Trek III: The Search for Spock is the exception to the general rule that the "odd-numbered" Star Trek films are to be avoided. Leonard Nimoy's first feature as a director, it's not as good as Star Trek II, but quite watchable. It picks up right where "Wrath of Khan" left off--Spock is dead, giving his life to save the Enterprise at the end of the last film. Now, Dr. McCoy is behaving erratically--owing, we learn, to the fact that before his death, Spock infused the Doctor with his "katra," a Vulcan's intellectual and spiritual essence, more or less. So, Kirk must hijack the scheduled-to-be-mothballed Enterprise, return to the Genesis planet that came into existence at the end of Khan, and retrieve Spock's body--which may not be dead. Trust me, it really works pretty well onscreen. Nimoy does a nice job directing, keeping the story moving plausibly. William Shatner hams it up a little less than normal as Kirk, while DeForest Kelley gives his best performance of the series as Dr. McCoy. With Spock offscreen most of the time, some of the supporting players get nice moments in the sun, especially George Takei as Sulu ("don't call me 'Tiny'"), and Nichelle Nichols as Uhura ("You wanted adventure?"). Only Robin Curtis, replacing Kirstie Alley as Saavik, is disappointing.

Trivia note: I went to high school with Stephen Manley, one of the actors who portrays the rejuvenated Spock at different ages throughout the film.