What was the last movie you saw?

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by cullengirl »

Jesak: I've debating on whether or not to see Salt or Inception at the theaters. Have you seen Inception yet?
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

cullengirl wrote:Jesak: I've debating on whether or not to see Salt or Inception at the theaters. Have you seen Inception yet?
I haven't seen Inception yet; I may try to this weekend. Christopher Nolan has a great track record so I'm sure it will be good.

Rian Johnson's second feature, The Brothers Bloom, is one that I looked forward to seeing ever since I first watched Brick, I think. Bloom (Adrien Brody) and his older brother Stephen (Mark Ruffalo) have been con men since they were adolescents, but after two decades and more in the game, Bloom is in the mood to move on. Stephen gets him to agree to one last con, with lonely, adventure-hungry heiress Penelope (Rachel Weisz) as the mark. Johnson isn't quite as successful playing with heist film conventions as he was with film noir standards in Brick--this one is a little less satisfying than the earlier film, and seems underdeveloped at times. However, Brody and Weisz have nice chemistry and Ruffalo is successful as the rakish Stephen. Rinko Kikuchi has a nice turn as the brothers' associate, the appropriately named Bang-Bang, while Robbie Coltrane and Maximillian Schell turn up in supporting parts, and the talented Nora Zehetner from Brick makes a very welcome cameo (although I wish her part could have been larger).
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

I really enjoyed The Brothers Bloom. It was smart, funny, and kind of sad. So far, Mark Ruffalo has a good movie track record, at least those that I have seen of his movies. Adrien Brody was ok, but I wish Rachel Weiz and Rinko Kickuchi had bigger roles. This movie reminded me a bit of The Brothers Grimm, which was also very entertaining.
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

cullengirl wrote:So far, Mark Ruffalo has a good movie track record, at least those that I have seen of his movies.
Zodiac, which is a mess that no amount of acting talent could salvage, is the only one of Ruffalo's films, of those I've seen, that I haven't liked.

Animal Crackers, the Marx Brothers' second film, is somewhat below their best. There are some segments that are very slow and pedestrian, and the best comic moments all seem to come in the first half of the film. But some of those moments are very inspired and worth seeing. Groucho sings "Hooray for Captain Spalding," which later became a signature tune for him, while Harpo and Chico cheat at bridge.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

My movie tonight was Cherry Crush, a decent indie noir, which gives top billing to an actress we are all familiar with. High schooler Jordan Wells (Jonathan Tucker) is a budding photographer, but when he becomes obsessed with photographing the cellist in his class, he little suspects that she's a teenage femme fatale. She's Shay Bettencourt (Nikki Reed), and she lures Jordan into a scheme to blackmail her much older boyfriend--a scheme that may turn fatal for someone. The script for this one was routine, with few surprises for anyone who knows their noir. Good performances can still make a film like this enjoyable, but while Nikki Reed is quite good (and, for once, a teenager playing a teenage character--Nikki was 17 when this was filmed), I've never found Jonathan Tucker to be a very good lead man or a likable screen presence, and he isn't either one here.
Last edited by Jestak on Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

Inception- my mind was blown about... 20 feet. Then I picked it back up and stuck it back in my skull where it belongs, and continued to be rather awed. I can see why some people wouldn't get it, and it wasn't hugely, magnificently brilliant, but it was still pretty mind bottlingly epic.

And Evolution- stupid but funny, if a little innaprpriate. I just watched it for David Duchovny. :D
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

The Year of Living Dangerously is a good film that aspires to be great, but falls short in all ways but one. Guy Hamilton (Mel Gibson) is a young, rather naive Australian journalist, sent to cover Indonesia in 1965, not long before the coup that toppled President Sukarno. There he meets two people who become important to him--Jill Bryant (Sigourney Weaver), a mid-level official at the British Embassy, and a philosophical dwarf named Billy Kwan (Linda Hunt), who offers to work with Guy as his cameraman. Although director Peter Weir delivers some striking imagery, the story is a bit muddled, as is the political background. Gibson and Weaver are both satisfactory, but the one truly exceptional thing about this one is Linda Hunt's performance. She richly deserved the Oscar she won, along with a fistful of other awards, for playing Billy Kwan; so thoroughly is she immersed in the role that you never have the slightest sense that you're watching a woman playing a man. This one is a must-see film for Hunt's performance.
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Post by The girlie-wolf »

Shrek forever after
Shai~ on the ListV2! ~Bunches of teams~ Team Quil-Alpha
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

I just got home from The Karate Kid :)
ravenGirl2468
Wrestling With Emmett
Location: Going crazy trying to find my real version of Emmett or Dean Winchester

Post by ravenGirl2468 »

Inception. I walked out of the movie theaters it was so horrible
~Team Emmett
Team Carlisle
~On the list~ Karl is my Twi-guy!