What was the last movie you saw?

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by funkidiva »

The Duchess on DVD. Keira Knightley was very good as her and it was a good film although I was left feeling very sorry and sad for her character at the end. Beautiful costumes and interiors which is what you would expect for a period drama.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

Jestak wrote:Someone asked upthread about Inception in comparison with Salt. Inception is definitely the bigger, more intricate film; however, bigger isn't always better. There is something to be said for tight, economical storytelling, and Salt is definitely a winner in that regard. If I had to chose only one to see in a theater, it would probably be Inception, but it's not a slam-dunk choice.
That was me, Jestak and I'm glad that you really enjoyed Inception. It definitely one that I want to see in the theaters. Now, it's a matter of who will go with me. I think I'll put Salt on my wait for DVD list.
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Sometimes there's nothing I like better than watching a well-made Hollywood thriller, and The Jackal fits the bill very well. The basic story is an updating of Frederick Forsyth's novel The Day of the Jackal for the 1990's; instead of the French OAS taking out a contract on Charles DeGaulle, a Russian mafioso hires the nameless Jackal (Bruce Willis) to kill an unspecified, high-profile American target. FBI Deputy Director Carter Preston (Sidney Poitier) and Russian agent Valentina Koslova (Diane Venora) must recruit one of the Jackal's own kind to help stop the killer--ex-IRA sniper Declan Mulqueen (Richard Gere). Director Michael Caton-Jones is adept at sustaining tension, at complex action sequences, and also at developing his characters, so the viewer's interest never flags. Besides the solid lead performances, there's a nice turn from Mathilda May as Declan's Basque ex-lover. Any Twilight fans watching this will find that the score sounds familiar, as it was composed by Carter Burwell, and there are some themes similar to his score for Twilight.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Seven Men from Now is the first of a half dozen Westerns which director Budd Boetticher made with Randolph Scott (of "you'd do it for Randolph Scott!" fame) in the late 1950's. All of them are very austere, unsentimental films which usually involve Scott as a no-nonsense hero who is pursuing some sort of personal goal, often involving vengeance for some past tragedy.

In this movie, Scott is Ben Stride, an ex-lawman pursuing the men (the "seven" of the title) responsible for the murder of his wife. On the way he encounters a married couple headed for California, the Greers, and Bill Masters, a man he once put in prison who wants to "tag along." The tragically short-lived Gail Russell plays Annie Greer, and a young Lee Marvin is very good as Masters, the first of a number of likable villains in the Boetticher-Scott films. Western fans should check this one out as well as the rest of the series.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
BlueStarEgo
Lusting for Blood

Post by BlueStarEgo »

Alice in Wonderland. It was ok. Johnny Depp was amazing as always. Tim Burton did a great job.
Chrissy | Team.Edward(T)/Damon(TVD)/Eric(TB)/Adrian(VA)Peeta(THG) | Music.Addict
- - * will you still love me tomorrow? - Amy Winehouse
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

One way to make a good Hollywood film--start with a great French film. Unfaithful is not as good a film as Claude Chabrol's La femme infidele, which it is more or less a remake of, but it's quite good. Connie Sumner (Diane Lane) is a housewife in suburban New York, married to successful businessman Edward (Richard Gere). One day, Connie collides--literally--with a young bookdealer named Paul Martel (OIivier Martinez), and finds herself wanting to see him again. Before long, she's been swept into a torrid affair. But when Edward finds out, the consequences may be fatal. Adrian Lyne's previous visit to the territory of marital infidelity was the overblown, emotionally unbelievable Fatal Attraction, but here he directs with a subtlety I've never encountered from him before, delving deep into the minds and souls of his central characters. Lane helps with probably the best performance of her career, which earned her Oscar and Golden Globe nominations
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Post by The girlie-wolf »

Twilight
Shai~ on the ListV2! ~Bunches of teams~ Team Quil-Alpha
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Superhero Movie is one of the oodles of movie spoofs that have proliferated over the past few years; unfortunately, it isn't one of the good ones. When teenager Rick Riker (Drake Bell) is bitten by a radioactive dragonfly on a school field trip, he gains super powers and takes on the secret identity of, get this, the Dragonfly. This movie is more or less a parody of Spider-Man, but also alludes to many other films, both superhero tales (Batman Begins, X-Men) and others (Mean Girls, The Girl Next Door). Sadly, what it doesn't do is actually make the viewer laugh. Even bringing in veterans of Airplane like Leslie Nielsen and Robert Hays doesn't help.

Every now and then you take a chance putting something in the old Netflix queue and come up with a stinker :(
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

Last one in theaters was "Eclipse" and last one on TV was "Marley and Me"
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
eliselovesedwardx
Completely Dazzled!

Post by eliselovesedwardx »

Step Up 3D in the movies last night.
AMAZING.
::Elise:: Backhoe Operator for EDC, Inc~EDC's Cheer Squad Captain!
I'm on the List~The names Mooner