William Shakespeare-it was Greek to me

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Re: William Shakespeare-it was Greek to me

Post by pennybug84 »

Thanks bronzehairedmiracle for your interpretation. (it sounds good to me!)
That line & why it was included in NM makes more sense to me now. :D
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
vampyre_princess
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by vampyre_princess »

bronzehairedmiracle no I haven't read A Thing of Beauty By J.Keats, and I don't really have time at the minute... I'm too busy with coursework and things...

So if you could study a Shakespeare play that you haven't already studied which would you choose and why?

Mine wouild have to be either Twelth Night or Othello or Hamlet, as I really wanted to study them at wither A Level or GCSE... but we weren't allowed :( I love his work and it is easier to understand than modernday literature for me... I would love to just be able to study every play he has written (except amybe the histories).

Has anyone else studied any of his sonnets?
♥ away with the fairies ♥
^ follow me :) please?
○Team Stefan○♠Team Switzerland♠
♀listv2~Pixie Rose
bronzehairedmiracle
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by bronzehairedmiracle »

pennybug84- Anytime! :)

Vampyre_princess- Was that question directed at me? I will answer anyways :D
I would love to study Othello in College. As for the sonnets, I haven't studied them (high school doesn't focus on Shakespeare here) but I did read one about love not altering when it finds alterations.
If all else perished and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained and and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger.
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

Urk, the histories. The only one I've read was a simplified Richard III when I was... 12?, and it scared the pee outta me.

I'd love to study the Twelfth Night, of course. Tis mah favorite play. After that, Macbeth, so we could watch the Lion King with it. And basically anything else with a lot of dead people. Or The Merchant of Venice, that one's funny.
vampyre_princess
Touched By Cold Hands

bronzehairedmiracle wrote:As for the sonnets, I haven't studied them (high school doesn't focus on Shakespeare here) but I did read one about love not altering when it finds alterations.
I cannot believe you don't get to study Shakespeare... I think I would have died if I didn't get to, for our GCSE and AS English Literature we had tostudy some of his sonnets, and I loved them... he is a British bard, so I can see why we would be made to study his works... but I always helped those who couldn't understand it... I just love all his works (except the histories)
dandyvampgirl_13 wrote:After that, Macbeth, so we could watch the Lion King with it.
Why would you watch Lion King with Macbeth??
♀listv2~Pixie Rose
bronzehairedmiracle

vampyre_princess wrote:
bronzehairedmiracle wrote:As for the sonnets, I haven't studied them (high school doesn't focus on Shakespeare here) but I did read one about love not altering when it finds alterations.
I cannot believe you don't get to study Shakespeare... I think I would have died if I didn't get to, for our GCSE and AS English Literature we had tostudy some of his sonnets, and I loved them... he is a British bard, so I can see why we would be made to study his works... but I always helped those who couldn't understand it... I just love all his works (except the histories)
Where I live, our syllabus is quite different. We don't have a reading list. We have prescribed textbooks which contains stories and poems from different authors. Our school taught us a part of Julius Caesar in 10th grade, that's all. I have read the other plays by myself out of interest. The library is very helpful though. The entire Shakespeare collection is available for nerdy kids like me :D
If all else perished and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained and and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger.
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

vampyre_princess wrote:
dandyvampgirl_13 wrote:After that, Macbeth, so we could watch the Lion King with it.
Why would you watch Lion King with Macbeth??
The Lion King is loosely based on Macbeth. Ya know, brother killing king to be king. LK just has a happy ending. :D
And awesome songs.
vampyre_princess
Touched By Cold Hands

@ bronzehairedmiracle
Wow, I would hate it if we had it like that! I studied Julius Caesar in year 8 (I was 12) as a choice project for history class, we had to do a project on a roman emperor and I chose to compare the lay to Caesar's actual life... I got an A+

Any that I haven't studied I have read (either bought them and read them or borrowed from scholl or town library)

@ dandyvampgirl_13
I never thought of it like that, lol, yeah Lion King has some awsome songs, and I suppose it really could of been based on Macbeth the storylines are sort of the same, like you pointed out thanks.
♀listv2~Pixie Rose
bronzehairedmiracle

vampyre_princess wrote:@ bronzehairedmiracle
Wow, I would hate it if we had it like that! I studied Julius Caesar in year 8 (I was 12) as a choice project for history class, we had to do a project on a roman emperor and I chose to compare the lay to Caesar's actual life... I got an A+

Any that I haven't studied I have read (either bought them and read them or borrowed from scholl or town library)
Yes, I hate this system too. But that's what you get for being in a country where science and maths get the most importance :roll:
vampyre_princess
Touched By Cold Hands

Yeah... I am the wierdest person for my fave subjects... cause I love Maths, Physics and English Literature.... no one understands how I can like them... the first two yeah they go but the engilsh...

By the way I love the Wuthering Heights quote in your sig!
♀listv2~Pixie Rose