Remember Me movie discussion

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Susie
Frozen in Time

Re: Remember Me movie discussion

Post by Susie »

Caryn - You get an A+ on your essay.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Susie wrote:Caryn - You get an A+ on your essay.

:D Susie~ I'll take an A-. There were a few phrasings that were a little off. But, particularly when I write in these kinds of forums, I write from my heart and rarely go back and correct the minor mistakes I don't catch until rereading my posts. I should probably use the preview feature more than I do. :D Thanks.

I think, for me at least, the natural question this debate brings up is this; what will be the correct forum and format to begin including 9/11 in our everyday lexicon. If it isn't a movie like Remember Me, what will it be? We've already seen movies like United 93 fail, and books about that day are rarely even shelved. So, what will the correct media look like?
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

I know this probably sounds really weird, but I would have no problem if a film about 9/11...like following a family that day or something...was filmed as long as it was respectful, realistic and stuck to the facts (even though I'd probably cry through the entire thing). If say the film started w/ a Tyler-type character dying in the film and followed his family getting through it, it would have been better than RM. It was the way it was integrated I disagree with, and thinking about what I said above, it's because they ENDED it with Tyler dying in the towers, when in fact for an entire culture that was only the beginning. When I left the theater I actually went to my dad's and just started bawling and he couldn't understand what I was saying. Those days between the attack and the gravestones that they showed in the film, were the worst and they flashed right through it. For HOURS I thought my dad was dead. It took DAYS before we found out who made it and who didn't because of all the chaos. RM was just a cheap one shot for shock value. It didn't do any justice. It didn't do the people who died or their families any justice.

And I swear there was only that one line that got me offended, I didn't find anything else said insensitive at all.

There are a bunch of home videos on youtube now from the day, one in particular that I can't find that is the entire thing and the high rise has a view of everything. If you have the emotional stability, watch any of them and listen to the people, the sirens. It's at least a tiny unedited taste of it.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

I probably mispoke in terms of my question. Yes, movies and books about 9/11 have and will come. But, in what format is okay to mention it in passing or casually? 9/11 is a massive date in our history. It is taken so seriously and given such reverence (in some ways, rightfully so. But, when and how will it be okay to have it as a part and not the focus?

In my opinion, what they did was the opposite of shock value. The reason I say that is if they were doing it for shock value, we would have heard about it from the word go. It would have been all over the place. It would have been a part of the marketing scheme and the promotional appearances. But, the movie wasn't about 9/11. Yes, Tyler died that day. But, it could have easily been a similar situation to Allie's mom, or anything else. The entire message of the film is to live the life you have and not waste it. Because you never know the circumstances that tomorrow will bring. If you were to pick one event that drove that message home for all of us, it was 9/11.

As for the timelapse, again, the whole point was taking the focus OFF of 9/11. Yes, Tyler died that day. But, the point was on how everyone had moved forward, taken the message of Tyler's life and how it touched theirs and started to live it.

I honestly believe that what bothers some about the presence of 9/11 in RM is that it isn't the focus. 9/11 is glimpsed in passing as a part of the much larger (for the characters, I believe) tragedy of losing Tyler. For so many, 9/11 is the tragedy and to.... relegate it... to the background feels like it isn't taken seriously, given the importance it deserves. But, again, RM is not a movie about 9/11. It's about living through tragedy, learning from it and coming out stronger on the other side. A very fitting message, I think.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Wow, this discussion is getting pretty deep.

Amanda Beth - Thank you again for sharing your emotional reaction. There is no way I could possibly know how that felt for you. I have deep sympathy for what you went through that day. Those of us who weren't directly involved don't really know how to handle it - survivor's guilt? Please don't think we are callous, we just don't KNOW.

The movie hasn't stayed around very long and that I expect is due to the ending - in general, the public doesn't like it when the main character dies at the end and especially 9/11.

Caryn - You espouse a highly intellectual view, which I can share to some extent (my brain hurts), but a good number of movie goers are not going to see the movie on that level, especially if they weren't expecting the ending. Now, if they could discuss the movie as fully as we are, they might see all of these points. On a lighter note - I gave you an A+ on content, not mechanics (I didn't even check that!) I "preview" a little too much, I think. My posts take forever to do!
bored by the sea
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: United Kingdom where the weathers like Forks pretty much alll the time

Post by bored by the sea »

amandabeth
sorry i didn't mean to offend you i to know people who lost people obviosly being over here it affects us differently ridiculous wasn't really the word i meant i just couldnt think of a better way to articulate my opinion :oops:
"If your life was all you had to give your beloved, how could you not
give it? if it was someone you truly loved"- Breaking Dawn
**TEAM EDWARD**
bored by the sea
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: United Kingdom where the weathers like Forks pretty much alll the time

Post by bored by the sea »

although at this point i just want to point out that i saw it again last night and people were actually laughing at the end?! i think thats far more disrepectful even if they didn't like it, not that i was being disrespectful, oh god im rubbish at expressing my views!! :oops: or maybe just my views on this, granted i don't know what it felt like to lose someone on 9/11 but i have lost people and i can kind of relate on that level. i think someone else said they kind of took the focus away from it so that they weren't using that as the main focus (i definitely would have found that offensive), so that the focus stayed on how life has to carry on after a horrendous loss "our fingerprints don't fade in the lives we touch" tyler says that his brother said that and i don't know i really relate appreciated that line and the theme of the film (speaking as a person who lost a family member a year ago, not looking for sympathy just attempting to get my point across), i don't know i appreciated the fact that they showed that the persons influence and actions are still thereafter they are gone.
yeah i haven't really gotten my point across that well but you get where i was going kind of.
as someone else said, i wasn't trying to be callous or horrible.. im really not that kind of person trust me :lol:
"If your life was all you had to give your beloved, how could you not
give it? if it was someone you truly loved"- Breaking Dawn
**TEAM EDWARD**
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Bored by the Sea -
I agree that it is difficult to articulate these complex thoughts/feelings! Thanks for sharing.
On another, more technical matter - When I first started on the Lexicon, someone gave me the same friendly advice: To avoid double posting, you can just edit your last post. There is an "edit" choice next to "quote" on your post. I guess the Mods don't like double posts. :roll:
I'm really glad someone told me that and I hope you take this as intended -friendly advice! :D
Avia
Settled in Forks

Post by Avia »

I'd hate to interrupt this serious discussion with something so trivial, but I can't help it. I've watched the movie a few times, but I still can't figure it out.

What was Caroline doing with the rocks on the tombstones at the beginning and end of the movie? Do they symbolize something or are they just a family tradition?
Keeper of the Lex's Sonic Screwdriver

Post by 24601 »

Avia wrote:I'd hate to interrupt this serious discussion with something so trivial, but I can't help it. I've watched the movie a few times, but I still can't figure it out.

What was Caroline doing with the rocks on the tombstones at the beginning and end of the movie? Do they symbolize something or are they just a family tradition?
I have not see the movie, but it is a Jewish tradition to place stones on the tombstone. I have been told it symbolizes that someone has visited and honored the memory of the person. You can actually Google 'Stones on gravestone' and get a much better picture of the tradition.