Remember Me movie discussion

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bored by the sea
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: United Kingdom where the weathers like Forks pretty much alll the time

Re: Remember Me movie discussion

Post by bored by the sea »

Susie wrote:Bored by the Sea -
I agree that it is difficult to articulate these complex thoughts/feelings! Thanks for sharing.
On another, more technical matter - When I first started on the Lexicon, someone gave me the same friendly advice: To avoid double posting, you can just edit your last post. There is an "edit" choice next to "quote" on your post. I guess the Mods don't like double posts. :roll:
I'm really glad someone told me that and I hope you take this as intended -friendly advice! :D
no yeah thanks i did know that lol i just got uber frustrated trying to say well what i was trying to say :lol: but thankye :)

and thanks to the person above who said what the stones on the gravestone meant i was pondering that too, thats a really beautiful tradition/gesture
"If your life was all you had to give your beloved, how could you not
give it? if it was someone you truly loved"- Breaking Dawn
**TEAM EDWARD**
Edwards Wheels
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Edwards Wheels »

i've just got back from seeing remember me and expected a tear jerker and got one. Unfortunately i did read an article on another website which did spoil the ending for me but i was determined to see it regardless. Obviously Rob was amazing in it and i got more than enough for my Rob fix.
I found it to be so sad, Tylers deteriorating relationship with his father. His sisters problems with life and of course the ending.
I'm still processing he film so maybe i'll write more when i've thought about it some more.
Terrific film tho

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

I just saw the movie yesterday. And now I've been reading all your reviews, and I've really appreciated all your views. I went into the movie not knowing what was going to happen. I knew that there would be a twist, but not what. And being able to have stayed spoiler free says a lot coming from me, because I tend to absorb anything I can get my hands om. But I really wanted this movie to be brand new to me.

I really liked the movie in general. And my boyfriend did too :D Rob was amazingly awsome. No sign of Edward, IMO, and Rob really proved himself as a top actor. He made me believe in Tyler as a character. He became real to me. And in a movie like that, it is hard to do. You can really fast start to over-act, but I think he did it perfectly. I was also impressed by Emilie De Ravin.
I loved the scene where Rob storms into his fathers office with Caroline's drawing. It was heartbreaking, and it just made me feel really bad inside for all of them. In general, the whole relationship between Tyler and Caroline was just incredibly portrayed.
I don't cry in theatres, I just don't do that anymore. But I would have cried if I were at home, in numerous scenes. When Caroline got her hair gut off... It was horrible. When Ally's dad hit her...

I liked that there were also some funny moments. Loved Tyler and the bowl in his dad's office. "I guess it was just here to tease me. " :lol:

Of course I cannot avoid commeting on the end...It just hits you like a ton of bricks. I don't know, but just from the title "Remember Me" I had a feeling that Tyler was going to die. But I had no idea it would be in 9/11. I thought it was a bit odd that the movie was set in 2001, but really didn't think much of it. I can really understand that some people find it a bit offensive. Because in most other movies about that day, they know that it's coming. But if you were sitting in the audience during Remember Me, you would have no idea and that can quite a shock for people who actually lost someone that day.
I don't really understand why they felt the need to have Tyler die in 9/11. They could have done it in a million other ways. But having that said, when they chose to use 9/11 I felt that they did handle it respectfully. And I think they showed how families have to go on and how relationships can really grow stronger in times of great loss. And it showed that Tyler's life really made a difference for his family and friends. It's a movie that will stay with me for a long time.

And as a Halfway House girl...I have to say how incredibly handsome Rob was in this movie :D
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Dovrebanen and Izzysmum - I know exactly how you feel!! I tried to express those same emotions pages back when I saw the movie opening day. I really appreciate hearing what you have to say. I know you are still processing it all, Izzy! I was in a fog for a while afterwards. The problem is you kind of forget all the beautiful Rob scenes and just think of the ending, which is too bad.

Dovrebanen - Extremely well articulated!! I really appreciate your thoughtful post and agree with all you said.
Edwards Wheels

Post by Edwards Wheels »

Ok so I've taken in the film and I'm still quite sad about it ( I know it's only a film :roll: lol).

Tyler seems to be in his own world, the only person who seems to be able to get through into his bubble is his little sister. The relationship between them was lovely, both of them mothering each other through life. The way he tried to protect her from being hurt by her Father, the way he fought with himself to attempt to believe in his Dad was very very understandable.

I found the whole film utterly believable, and I got totally lost in the film feeling as though I was a part of what was going on. And even though I knew what was going to happen it still struck me when the teacher had written the date on the board.

I felt so sorry for Caroline when she felt so isolated, and the moment at the party when she was stood alone watching the other girls was very real ( to me anyway).

The ending I thought was heartbreaking and personally I'm glad they didn't dwell on 9/11. I remember watching the whole thing on tv and the thoughts and feelings I had then, and I honestly thought that if they'd included more it would've been too much, the panic from the small scene they did showing the aftermath was enough to bring Tylers part in the film to an end. I preferred the way they moved on from it and showed how their life had continued and improved despite the tragedy. From the moment I saw the date on the board I had a lump in my throat waiting for the conclusion. I guess they could've used another way to kill off Tyler, maybe a mugging like Ally's mum suffered could've brought about another twist, but with the use of 9/11 I suppose it was final, if they'd done something else it'd be hard to end the film without feeling the need to show some justice being done? I dont honestly know. The tattoo of Tylers name was a perfect way to remember him, as that was his own way of remembering his brother.

Also as a Halfway house lady I was in awe of Rob and his potrayal of Tyler, and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing him half naked, and wondering what picture could be made if doing a dot to dot with the moles on his back, but back to the film....I honestly found the whole thing very believable and thought provoking, and have been thinking about it all since I got home.

I apologise If my opinions about the usage of 9/11 have upset anyone, that wasn't my intention, and as someone who didn't know anyone involved with the tragedy there's no way I could understand how it might feel to have it brought up time and time again, and from the moment I walked out of the cinema my thoughts have gone back to that day and the people involved.

bored by the sea
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: United Kingdom where the weathers like Forks pretty much alll the time

Post by bored by the sea »

izzysmum wrote:Ok so I've taken in the film and I'm still quite sad about it ( I know it's only a film :roll: lol).

Also as a Halfway house lady I was in awe of Rob and his potrayal of Tyler, and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing him half naked, and wondering what picture could be made if doing a dot to dot with the moles on his back, but back to the film....I honestly found the whole thing very believable and thought provoking, and have been thinking about it all since I got home.

I apologise If my opinions about the usage of 9/11 have upset anyone, that wasn't my intention, and as someone who didn't know anyone involved with the tragedy there's no way I could understand how it might feel to have it brought up time and time again, and from the moment I walked out of the cinema my thoughts have gone back to that day and the people involved.

ditto ditto and ditto!! it totally makes you think!!! i totally couldnt really even articulate my opinion about it properly at first (see a few pages back :lol: ).
and obviously yes fellow halfway house members i agree!lol
"If your life was all you had to give your beloved, how could you not
give it? if it was someone you truly loved"- Breaking Dawn
**TEAM EDWARD**
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Izzys - I am just so impressed with your post! I would quote it in its entirety, since I want to comment on it all, but we should probably save some space! I don't even remember what I said in my Remember Me reaction post over a month ago, but I attempted to say everything that you just did. I too, was affected on a very emotional level, in all the ways you mentioned. I thought the movie was really well done and all the acting was fabulous. Yes, very realistic. You articulated your thoughts beautifully.

I know others are talking about getting the DVD - to see the special features, - but I still am not ready to see the movie again!! It is so powerful. I'd like to think that I could just watch the before 9/11 part and enjoy watching Rob, but I would know what was coming and automatically put all the action into that perspective. I think I will be able to see it eventually though. It really helps to talk about it.

It's so hard to have the main character die - especially one that we have gotten to know, grown to love (and for us Halfway Housers, have an incredible bias towards). It makes it more than a sad ending - there is a sort of grieving we need to do - we lost OUR Tyler. We go through the movie with him, experiencing his pain and joy and also growing with him. So, do you know what I mean about how it is so much more emotional in that respect?
Edwards Wheels

Post by Edwards Wheels »

i do completely understand what you mean Susie. Because we've gone through the whole movie with Tyler and getting insights into his life and beliefs etc, when we realise what's about to or what's happened to him it seems to hit much harder. Again that's why i can see why they used 9/11 to finish the main part of the film.
The scene in the fun fair came back to me today, and the time while he's determined to win Ally the panda pretty much tells you everything about Tyler that you need to know. He misses the hoop and says something like "he's not going to win", my first thought was he was talking about his Dad, but then i realised he meant that he couldn't let anyone or anything beat him, although his brothers suicide had beaten him. We saw him on the Alice in wonderland statue and he was basically asked to put his cigarette out and he found that almost like a challenge from the lady, and even though it was slightly petulant he still smoked a bit more before throwing it away, as if he always had to win any challenge. I think that when he realised life was looking up and good things were happening he'd beaten the depression he'd dealt with since his brothers death, (again, another challenge but this time he was almost allowing it to win) which again was such a sad realisation.
It was such a shame that Tyler had to do so much for both himself and his Father to realise how alike they were. Poor Caroline couldn't be brave enough to say what she felt, not only with her Dad but the girls at her school.
Things keep coming back to me about the film now that the shock of remembering 9/11 has subsided a bit, and like susie said the rest of the film tends to be lost while you process the ending, so apologies for coming back when things occur to me :lol:
I am looking forward to it being available on dvd, because i think i missed quite a bit, probably from gawping at mr Pattinson and from preparing myself for the end. I fear i missed why Caroline was so distracted all the time (probably so obvious to everyone else), or what Tyler was saying as he narrated his diary thoughts that were aimed at his brother. If i can sit at home and watch it thoroughly i hope to understand more. (i probably sound so dim)
[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
vampirelover109
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by vampirelover109 »

I completley love and adore remember me and not just because robs in it its just such a beutiful and moving film ive never seen anything like it before it just affected me in serious ways like to not debate whether or not to do something because life is too short and shouldont be wasted i loved tylers relationship with caroline it just seemed so natural and easy, lots of things stuck out in my mind from that film i only managed to see it twice cus my cineama is lame but it was amazing but the end practually killed me i read in all reviews that its not a happy movie but was not expecting that ending it was a different sort of ending not your typical romantic film which is why i think a lot of film critics havent been to kind about it but i loved it once again ill just say that the acting skills of mr robert pattinson never cease to amaze me i think he is the best actor of the generation maybe im a little biased about him :)
team edward all the way
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Susie wrote:It's so hard to have the main character die - especially one that we have gotten to know, grown to love (and for us Halfway Housers, have an incredible bias towards). It makes it more than a sad ending - there is a sort of grieving we need to do - we lost OUR Tyler. We go through the movie with him, experiencing his pain and joy and also growing with him. So, do you know what I mean about how it is so much more emotional in that respect?
I agree. It's not often you see a story like that and the main character actually dies. It was a love story in so many ways. Father to son, brother to sister, man to woman. And in the end, when life finally starts to go the right way, tragedy hits them so hard all over again. It is very emotionally powerful. But at least there is some consolation in the fact that Tyler died having achieved what he wanted. He wanted his father to show that he cared; to give them his time, not his money.

The view of Tyler in the window of the World Trade Center has really stuck with me. It just feels awful to think about it. So they really managed to make a movie that will be with me for a long time.

Mel~ I'm looking forward to getting the DVD too. I think I missed a lot during the movie, because it was a lot to pay attention to. And also, in the comfort of my own home, I am free to cry whenever I want to, so it might hit me harder to watch it at home.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~