Remember Me movie discussion

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
SweetImpakt
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Re: Remember Me movie discussion

Post by SweetImpakt »

So, I finally saw Remember Me last night. I think I've gathered my thoughts enough to be able to make a decent post about it.

As some have already said, it's impossible to be objective about a movie with Rob. But I really really liked it. My mom liked it too, though probably not as much as I did, but anyways.

I don't think I have much to add to what has already said here. Rob totally nailed Tyler's character. He did an amazing job as Tyler and he proved that he can pull of other roles too. I didn't think of Edward once while watching the movie. He didn't overdo it but there was more than enough emotion poured into this role. I'm really in awe of how he did it.

There were different scenes in this movie that really touched me. I cried a lot thoughout this movie. All the scenes with his little sister were amazing. The bond they had looked very real and believable. It was really cute. When those evil girls at that birthday party cut of her hair, it was heartbreaking. I couldn't believe little girls could actually be that evil but then I realised that little children indeed can be really cruel. When Tyler was reading to her after her hair got cut, it made me cry, it was touching. As some said before, one of the most shocking scenes of the movie was when Tyler brought his sister to the classroom and then gets angry with the little girl. I really really was afraid he was totally gonna lose it then and there. But she was being so so mean.

The scenes with Tyler and his father were really good too. When Tyler goes to his father's office with Caroline's drawing, it was also one of the most intense moments of the movie. It was really believable, again. The emotions were very well portayed in this scene. Rob was awesome in it. His father was also very well portayed by Pierce Brosnan.

And the love scenes... Oh the love scenes were amazing. Emilie de Ravin has the most amazing eyes. The chemistry between Rob and Emilie was awesome. It was intense, and Emilie's story was sad. Imagine going through such a thing. Oh and I also think Emilie's carpe diem perspective on life was interesting. It's a good way to deal with a loss, IMO. This is of course the opposite of Tyler's dealing with loss, but Tyler's way is realistic as well.

Hmmm... then of course, the end. I knew he was gonna, die, but I didn't know any details. When he was standing in that office, and the camera zoomed out and then they showed that classroom with the date all the pieces kind of clicked together. My heart was really pounding and I could feel it in my throat. I really started crying, sobbing even. To me, it didn't ruin the movie. It just made the movie that more realistic and it gave you something to think about. It really makes you think about things. When I was looking for some reviews I saw that there are people that found the fact that they used 9/11 in this movie offensive. I don't really see how. Even though I don't live in the US or in New York, I still think it's not wrong to use a historical fact in a movie. It happened, it's real. This movie gave me a lot of perspective on how it was for normal people in everyday life to experience 9/11.For people that lsot someone then. It gave me more insight.

I loved it. Go see it if you haven't already !

“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

SweetImpakt wrote:The scenes with Tyler and his father were really good too. When Tyler goes to his father's office with Caroline's drawing, it was also one of the most intense moments of the movie. It was really believable, again. The emotions were very well portayed in this scene. Rob was awesome in it. His father was also very well portayed by Pierce Brosnan.
I completely agree with you on this scene. When he is proper shouting at his father....it gave me goosebumps. The emotion in his voice, face, the way he was standing. It blew me away. It is scene's like this I think that show just how good Rob is as an actor. I mean he was freaking amazing here!!!

I too heard that some people were annoyed they had used September 11th in the film. Which I totally didn't get. I'm not trying to be disrespectful or anything here, but films use historical events all the time in films. Wars, major natural disasters etc, things that did happen to real people, and no one seems to get annoyed at those films. I think it is just cos it was a Rob film. The people who hate him and Twilight etc, jump on the band wagon and will slate anything they can about his films. Aaargh! This bugs me so much!! Like, one of my friends who does not like Twilight said, "oh I bet you've saw Remember Me, I bet you only went to see it cos Rob was in it". Now 1. maybe I did, and it so, who cares? I don't see why I shouldn't go and see a movie that has an actor in it that I like! And 2. I think the trailer looked very good and would have saw the film regaurdless if it was Rob or not.

Whoops, sorry for the rant :lol: No idea where that came from!! Slighly off topic sorry!!

So...back to movie discussion...I liked this film a great great deal and highly recommend it if you have not seen it!!
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
bored by the sea
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: United Kingdom where the weathers like Forks pretty much alll the time

Post by bored by the sea »

openfire wrote:I think it is just cos it was a Rob film. The people who hate him and Twilight etc, jump on the band wagon and will slate anything they can about his films. Aaargh! This bugs me so much!! Like, one of my friends who does not like Twilight said, "oh I bet you've saw Remember Me, I bet you only went to see it cos Rob was in it". Now 1. maybe I did, and it so, who cares? I don't see why I shouldn't go and see a movie that has an actor in it that I like! And 2. I think the trailer looked very good and would have saw the film regaurdless if it was Rob or not.
don't worry i had that too but seriously the trailer was so intriguing that i would have gone to see it even if it didn't have Rob in it, the cast was awesome in its own right! it really truely was an amazing film and i know people who have seen it who totally are not twilight fans or rob fans and yes they probably went because i rambled on about how good it was :lol: but they agreed it was an amazing film in its own right. the whole it being offensive because they used 9/11 is ridiculous :roll: i mean as you've already said they make films based on real life events all the time and they've even made a film about 9/11, so yeah its just an excuse to run down what is an amazing film just because it has a very high profile actor in it ( well a number of them, but one who's particularly in demand at the mo :lol: )
"If your life was all you had to give your beloved, how could you not
give it? if it was someone you truly loved"- Breaking Dawn
**TEAM EDWARD**
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Shauni and Jaclyn - You articulated your thoughts very well! I really enjoyed reading your reviews and agree about those incredible scenes. My experience was a little different because of the fact that I didn't know Tyler was going to die - I didn't know that one of the characters was going to die, so I was really SHOCKED. It took me awhile to get over that. I posted quite a bit upthread, so I won't go into detail again.

Bored by the Sea - Yes, some Americans are still touchy about 9/11. I wonder how many years will have to pass before it is "safe" to use in a movie storyline.
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

It's kind of...no it's really offensive to say its ridiculous that people were upset about the 9/11 part because I was upset about it. That day did not affect everyone in the same way, so to call people who are sensitive about it "ridiculous" is just...I dunno what a good word is without cursing. I was there that day, I saw it all. I lost people. So it's NOT ridiculous. Many people feel as though they exploited one of the worst days in American history to end a movie on a dramatic note. They turned the movie into a greek tragedy. As RE said, they might as well have dropped a refrigerator on his head. There is a huge difference between making a movie about the event, and then how it was portrayed in Remember Me. So maybe everyone else should be sensitive to the fact that some people still have nightmares even nine years later, and probably will for the rest of their lives.
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

Amanda Beth - This is partly why I didn't really want to post my post ^^ up there just in case I really offended someone :( I'm sorry if I did. I wasn't there so I can't begin to understand what it was like. I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that :( :(
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
SweetImpakt
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by SweetImpakt »

Amanda Beth ~ I'm sorry if I offended you. No offense was ever meant with what I said. I was just trying to explain how it was for me, but if it offended you then I'm very sorry.

“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

It was really calling it "ridiculous" that upset me. Everyone can have their opinions, but it's in insensitivity in the way they are said that is offensive.
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Amanda Beth - Thank you for telling us how you feel. I think it is fair to say that we/I am ignorant rather than insensitive. We don't intend to be insensitive, but I/we really don't know how others feel, so it is great that you let us know.

I just went to NYC a couple of weeks ago and saw the WTC site and after having seen RM, I really thought about it and realized how horrible it was for New Yorkers - I was in Minnesota - removed from it somewhat. At the various tourist sites I visited I thought - Wow - people on the Staten Island Ferry that day (just like us) had that horrible view of the attack! I think that the whole Bush rush to war distracted me from processing the 9/11 tragedy. My focus went to my outrage for starting a war in Iraq.

Anyway, the good thing about Remember Me is that it made me look at 9/11 again, made me process it, made me FEEL for the victims and their families. I'm actually much sadder and more respectful than I was before.

That's what the director/producers had in mind, I think.

When I asked "I wonder how long it will take before 9/11 can be in a storyline without upsetting people" it was a genuine question.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

The thing is that there are ALWAYS going to be people for whom 9/11 hits home a lot more closely than others. That's true of any traumatic event. I remember after LotR: Return of the King was released, there was even discussion of how well that movie would do at in NY because of the Orthanc destruction scene, saying that it was too reminiscent of the fall of the towers.

It is no different than the debate in the 50's and 60's about making movies about WWII and Pearl Harbor, or the debate in the 70's and 80's about making movies about nuclear winter. But, I think what it all comes down to is this; at some point, we have to be brave enough to look at what happened, through whatever lense, to celebrate not only the triumphs of that day, but the tragedy as well. We have to acknowledge its place in our collective history and we have to realize that there must be mention of it and our place in our lives. There were things going on that day for all of us, and for any of us, any discussion of that day will never be without mentioning, "And while that was happening, we were watching air traffic come to a screeching hault," or, "And, the Today Show was on in the background, switching from delay to live..."

In the end, I look at how Remember Me handled its presentation of the tragedy of that day. They didn't do it for shock value or to exploit what happened. They clearly didn't do it to get bigger box office returns. They did it in a very mindful and thoughtful way, even going so far as to meet with not only NYPD vets, but also some families who lost family members. They didn't show gratuitous scenes of the destruction. They literally showed us just enough so that we knew where Tyler was and what happened. In the end, New York itself was a character in the movie and they showed us the utter tragedy and grief that we all went through that day, but particularly for everyone involved who loved that young man and whose tragedy was compounded.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS