Edward Cullen bringing sexy back since 1901 -- Team Edward#3

Things having to do with Twilight that are related to the book: fanfic, rpg, products, websites, book clubs, etc.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Re: Edward Cullen bringing sexy back since 1901 -- Team Edwa

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

well said Twilight_Obsessor
Banner by TammyAZ
JenTheWriter
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by JenTheWriter »

Wow, have I been gone forever or what?! Life. What else is there to say? But I have been reading Eclipse and just finished Breaking Dawn and rediscovered my Twilight love. Rediscovered? That makes it sound like I lost it somewhere. So lemme rephrase -- I was overflowing in my Edward love that I had to come and bask.

Why are you on Team Edward?

I agree with Dovrebannen. (HI!!) There really was never any choice. Which is not to say there was one between Edward and Jacob, but it was such a simple decision that it never really felt like one. Edward is mature, oozes charisma, he's charming, sophisticated, loving, talented, selfless, chivalrous, and is the epitome of what I think my dream guy is. Of course, the dream guy that doesn't exist. lol

But besides all that ... there was just something about him. The wounded soul in need of "fixing". Women can't resist the urge to "fix" someone that is broken. And Edward was broken. Well, not so much broken but incomplete. And who wouldn't want to be Edward's missing half?
"And if you ever kiss her again, I will break your jaw for her," he promised.
Team Edward, Alice and Cullen! Swoonist. Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3's brain twin!
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

Hello everyone.
It has been forever since I posted in this thread! I feel very guilty!! :lol:
So I went back a few questions and have answered some...I warn you now that this is a long long post so no worries if ya wanna skip it! Haha!

How would have the story progressed if Edward could read Bella's thoughts from the very beginning? Would he have found her as interesting? How do you think he would react to her thoughts?
I don't think it would have been the same. I mean in the beginning he doesn't really care for the "new girl" in school, and I think he only really starts paying attention to her initially because he can't hear her. In MS Edward sees her in his mind from all the other kids at school thoughts, and he just regards her as another regular human girl...he doesn't think she is the most beautiful thing he has ever seen or anything. So I think it would have been more challenging for them in the beginning. I think Bella might lose some of her appeal for him in the beginning, as I think he really took initial notice of her because she was different, because he couldn't hear her thoughts.
But once they got to know one another, I hope that they still would have fell in love. Although with Edwards ability to hear Bella's thoughts, I think the story would have been pretty different as she wouldn't be able to hide anything from him...

What's the sexiest thing about Edward?
Erm...gosh this is a most tricky question! I think the sexiest thing about him is his nature. The fact that he is always such a gentleman, no matter what the situation - that's the thing that makes me go weak at the knees for him the most! For example, when they are kissing or hugging or anything, if Bella puts the slightest amount of pressure on him (indicating she wants him to move), he will back off no questions asked. I love that. Of course, there is also his incredibly good looks, his funny sense of humor, his ability to do all the cool supernatural stuff...the list goes on! :D

What do you think Edward thought when he saw Bella the first time in Voltera? I mean after he realized he wasn't dead.
After he realised they weren't both dead, the inital thought was probably relief that Bella was ok. And then incredible joy that she was here with him in his arms. And then dread that she was here in Volterra with the Volturi all around them. After that initial joy he would have only have been thinking about Bella's safety and how to get her out of this place as quickly as possible. And then when he heard the Voluri approach them, the feeling he would have been feeling much have been unthinkable as he would have been petrified for her!

Do you believe that Edward has a soul? Why or why not? And how do you feel about that?
I think that yeah he does have a soul. I don't really have any good reason why I think that tho...but vampires like the Cullens, who do not harm anyone now (fair enough some may have killed in the past) but I would like to think that they have redeemed themselves somehow and so now they have their soul back...if that makes sense?

What did you think about Edward saying he doesn't have a soul?
I think Edward says he doesn't have a soul because he believes he is a monster. And I guess that because of the era in which he was born, people very firmly beleived in good and evil, and as he is "evil" he mustn't have a soul. The fact that he has killed people in the past will weigh on his mind greatly.

What does he think will happen to him if he gets killed?
I would like to think that when people die (and vampires like the Cullen's and Edward) that they go to heaven or at least someplace nice. But in all honestly I think that when he dies, he just won't exist anymore...nothing will happen to him. I guess he will become a big pile of purple smoke since that's what seem to happen to vampires in the twilight world... :oops:

In his human life do you think Edward was a religious person? (Going to church at least occasionally, believing in a God & an afterlife, etc)
Yes I do beleive that Edward was a religious person. Again, with him being born in the 1900s, I beleive that most people beleived in God, an afterlife and went to Church. I don't see why he wouldn't have been any different.

Why are you on Team Edward?
Wow...that is a big question! Haha! I agree with what a few of you have said. I didn't choose to be on Team Edward, I just am. And I didn't choose to NOT been Team Jacob, it just was never an option for me. When I first read the books I didn't know that there were separate teams for Edward & Jake, so I didn't read them thinking about it. Edward seemed perfect to me, and although there was a few times when he was so annoying that I wanted to scream at him, and of course when he broke up with Bella I wanted to physically hunt him down and kick him. But he was still always the one for me. Where as Jacob...I really liked him in New Moon; I thought he was really great with Bella. I especially loved how he noticed things about her (eg. how she didn't like music, the way she tried to hold herself together) but I never saw him as a romantic interest for her. In Eclipse I hated him. In Breaking Dawn he redeemed himself quite a bit for me, but he will always be the annoying best-friend-who-wants-more-can't-stand-to-see-Bella-be-happy-with-Edward person to me. Where as Edward is just...the one.

Thanks to anyone who read all of that :lol: I will try to keep up with the questions now so I don't have to do another huge post! Haha!
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

Why are you on Team Edward? Where to start....... ? :lol:
When I first read the series I had no idea about this Team Edward vs Team Jacob thing. My sister-in-law introduced the saga to me & told me that it was a romance about a vampire boy who falls in love with a human girl. (So I basically already knew it was about Bella & Edward AND THEIR ROMANCE.) At that time books 1-3 were out & I figured Edward & Bella would be together & get married in book 4. But the more I read the series and came to understand the characters I noticed that Jacob is EVERYTHING that I HATE in guys. He is immature, selfish, annoying and has a temper. He reminds me WAY TOO much of the guys that drove me crazy in High School ( and still do.) And then on the other side there's Edward who is a GENTLEMAN, plus all the other qualities you all have mentioned. Pus he is musical! (Seriously a guy who writes a song for you how romantic can you get? swoon!) He has the qualities that I will look for in a husband (if I ever get married considering there's no prospects!) He's just amazing and wonderful!

When Twilight came out I bought some rubber bracelets at Hot Topic & one of them says "I am in love with a fictional character." And it's so true!!
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Wow it's slow today... and it was yesterday... where is everybody....

so, ok I thought to come up with some new questions

Why did you think getting married was so important to Edward?
He told Bella he would explain it in a 100 years time, what do you think he would have told her then?
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

marielle wrote:Wow it's slow today... and it was yesterday... where is everybody....

so, ok I thought to come up with some new questions

He told Bella he would explain it in a 100 years time, what do you think he would have told her then?
You're right, it has been very, very, slow this weekend. I know that I have been busy reading and writing, in addition to my kids being home... so time is very limited by RL!! :roll:

As to the marriage question, that is one I would love to hear from SM herself!! I do think however, that Edward basically answered this question when he explained that he was "that guy". Unfortunately, for us to completely understand what he meant by that, we would have to understand the context of what marriage was to a young man his age in 1918, and what marriage meant to his family in particular, and what he'd learned of human marriage during his years as a mind reading vampire. So to me... that's not something that anyone but Edward's creator could properly answer.

I did read one fanfic one-shot (I do not know the name, so sorry) where Edward explained that marriage was a human institution, so for his family the marriages were just a part of the human mascarade, but for Bella it was real because she was human. I don't know if that had anything to do with it when SM wrote Eclipse, but it's an interesting theory.

EDIT**
Random Question?? Can you think of any moments in the novels when Edward is at a loss for words and actually stutters or fails to complete his sentences? I am going to have to re-read all of them at this rate. SO, if you know of a time off the top of your heads, that would be lovely! Thanks.
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Hi!
*waves to Jen* Good to have you around again :)

Sorry I've been MIA from Team Edward for a while... I am so lost in fanfics :oops:

I agree with VirginiaMay. He was "that guy" and always has been. The time that he was raised in of course meant a lot for his views on marriage. But I think no matter what time Edward was raised in he would have been "that guy". He wanted to be bound to his girl in every way.
I'm not sure what he would tell her a 100 years from now. But I do think that in a 100 years time Bella would realize exactly how long time that is, and realize that Edward did in fact spend that amount of time alone on earth. In a way he saw the world change, but he was still the same and alone. And I think Bella might understand his desire to marry her better by then. She would also know exactly how strongly vampires feel.

Random Question?? Can you think of any moments in the novels when Edward is at a loss for words and actually stutters or fails to complete his sentences? I am going to have to re-read all of them at this rate. SO, if you know of a time off the top of your heads, that would be lovely! Thanks.
That's a good question...I can't remember Edward ever being at a loss for words, but I can't be 100 % sure without a re-read.
But I think that Edward is very good at hiding what he's feeling, and he always composes himself. And of course, this enables Bella to do some of the things she does to him, seeing him as almost un-breakable. Sometimes I really wanted Edward to show some of his weakness.
Sorry, I can't be of any more help on your question :)
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Hi Everyone!

This is my first time on this thread - I don't know why I didn't come over before - I absolutely adore the character of Edward - especially after reading Midnight Sun!

It may take me a while to get up to speed - I'm only on my second reading of the Saga - I'm at the yucky part in NM now - I'm going to make myself read it, but then next go around, I will skip that emotionally draining scene!

Why does Edward want to marry Bella?
Many of you have addressed the "of a different era" aspect, which I can see. Another angle - I'd like to suggest that he wants to marry her because he is 100% convinced that she is THE ONE - The one he has been looking for all these years. It is his way of showing his commitment. As a vampire, he has limited free will. He can't be human again, but he can marry Bella. It is a very human thing. He misses being human and wants to experience this human state WITH Bella.

Hi, Trine! Miss you at the Halfway House!
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Susie! Hi, it's good to have you here :) I really love Edward too. He's just the most fantastic character I've ever read.
Sorry about my absence from the Halfway House :oops: *heading right over there now*

Susie wrote:Another angle - I'd like to suggest that he wants to marry her because he is 100% convinced that she is THE ONE - The one he has been looking for all these years. It is his way of showing his commitment. As a vampire, he has limited free will. He can't be human again, but he can marry Bella. It is a very human thing. He misses being human and wants to experience this human state WITH Bella.
I definitely agree with this. He knows that Bella is the right one for him. He's been unknowingly waiting for her all his life, and when he found her he wanted nothing more than for her to be his wife. Like I've said, I think Edward would have wanted to marry Bella regardless of what era he was born and raised in. He is just that guy, and that moment he accepted that he could be with her, I think he wanted to marry her.
He has also seen that happiness that his parents and siblings have shared in their marriages, and he wanted that with Bella.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

I've just thought of a couple of things to discuss:

(You've probably already discussed these things - but since I'm fairly new, please indulge me!)

1)The significance of CARS - The Shiny Silver Volvo - I'd say the Volvo makes Edward even more sexy - that and driving fast. Driving - being able to take Bella in his car - vulnerable (but of course, she doesn't care) -and drive away - they are alone. It adds to the eroticism. Have you talked about the symbolism of cars?

2) Also, the fact that Edward is wealthy makes him much more appealing. Imagine his character, but without the wealth. On the surface, he wouldn't be able to do some of the things in the book without money. Beyond that, would he be that much less appealing? I suppose he could still be cultured, well-read, sophisticated, but not have money. However, in our society, we tend to link those traits with money.

So, I think that a poor, mass transit riding Edward would be less attractive to Bella. You could say that he needs to have wealth and the cool car (he already has the good looks) to offset the fact that he is a vampire. Is this so that Bella will be able to fall in with love him? Of course SM said that they weren't whole without each other, so their love isn't based on superficiality. So then, is the wealth/cars for the reader? Is it just part of the vampire attractiveness in order to lure their prey?