Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread 2

Things having to do with Twilight that are related to the book: fanfic, rpg, products, websites, book clubs, etc.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread 2

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

Here goes!

I've read one drabble, the Soccerward story (blanking on title), out of a total so far of around 15-20(EDIT: forgot TCT, more like 40+) fics incl shorts and WIPs. I was also astonished by the high number of reviews (30 thou + I think) in comparison to number of chapters (125). That's about 240+ reviews per chap. It is recommended on TLS and it is lemony which I'm pretty sure contributes to readership numbers. It is probably a relatively well writtern drabble.

As a concept I think it can be neat - in the same way that a short story can be more challenging to write than a novel, I think short, full, rapidly updated chapters could be challenging to the author as well as satisfying to the audience. But anything can be misused. I would like to think that poorly written material would result in dropping readership and thus reviews, but I don't think that's necessarily true.

All right, enough, I'm off to find something lemony for tonight ... possibly something of Ginnie's I haven't hit yet. :D
Last edited by smitten_by_twilight on Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

smitten_by_twilight wrote: As a concept I think it can be neat - in the same way that a short story can be more challenging to write than a novel, I think short, full, rapidly updated chapters could be challenging to the author as well as satisfying to the audience. But anything can be misused. I would like to think that poorly written material would result in dropping readership and thus reviews, but I don't think that's necessarily true.
Very valid point, and that is the one reason a few out there-- like ShaySavage (Offside aka Soccerward) and SydneyAlice (Forget Me Not aka Amnesiaward -- have my complete and total respect. I mean, I'm awe of them. I cannot even imagine being able to have the focus and creativity to do that. You guys know me... you know it takes me time to do what I do. So yeah, I think you have a very good point there. :)
VolturiGirl
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by VolturiGirl »

VirginiaMay wrote:Real quick: How many of you are reading any of the "Drabble" fics out there??

The reason I ask is, as a fanfic writer, it's sort of frustrating seeing the trend increase. I've seen a couple of these stories with 10, 000+, even 20,000+ reviews and have to think it's because they update so often. Never mind how small the chapter is or even if the scene/conversation is complete. And I wonder, is that the reason some of these folks are doing it? For tons of reviews???

What do you guys/gals think??

Ginnie ~ the only one I've ever read was the Soccerward story. I loved the "drabble" concept (new to the definition) because it was exciting to get a something new to read everyday or everyother day depending on when the next chapter was posted.
Banner by Tammy AZ

Aro, Caius, Marcus
The Original Godfathers
StellaBlueBella
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by StellaBlueBella »

VirginiaMay wrote:Awww... thanks, MissP!

Real quick: How many of you are reading any of the "Drabble" fics out there??
Uhm well there's always the quality vs quantity thing... For reviews and updates. I view them as the soap operas of the fic world. Enjoyable in their own right as long as you take them for what they are. The big appeal to me is that they seem so interactive - not only between author and reveiwers/readers but between readers themselves. It's just fun.

Amy so what's this terribly taboo Jasper Bella fic you're reading?

Anyone have a link for the Guardian?

Thinking about starting up Taken but... I dunno. Still have a few VitB chaps to catch up on.

• To comprehend a nectar Requires sorest need.
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

currently re-reading the Guardian (oh, those ripe, lush lemons). Try http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5744663/8/ , or search by author=ChampagneAnyone.
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

VolturiGirl wrote:
VirginiaMay wrote:Real quick: How many of you are reading any of the "Drabble" fics out there?? /quote]
Ginnie ~ the only one I've ever read was the Soccerward story. I loved the "drabble" concept (new to the definition) because it was exciting to get a something new to read everyday or everyother day depending on when the next chapter was posted.
I agree with Amy: I really liked getting a new chapter everyday, and it did seem very interactive between the writers & readers.
I have also started the AmnesiaWard story & I'm really enjoying that "drabble" fic too!
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
VolturiGirl
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by VolturiGirl »

Rachel,

Taken only has a few chapters writen so there is not too much to read.

The taboo fic is called Dark Whispers by Oriana de la Rose. It's not long, only 19 chapters or so. Very good and twisted. Be warned...some things in the fic will make you nausious.

Jaclyn ~ can you post the link to the AmnesiaWard fic?
Banner by Tammy AZ

Aro, Caius, Marcus
The Original Godfathers
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

VolturiGirl wrote: Jaclyn ~ can you post the link to the AmnesiaWard fic?

Here you go:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7139708/1/Forget_Me_Not

It was in my faves. :)
newborntwifan
Wandering Through Town

Post by newborntwifan »

I'm reading Amnesiaward, too. I've only recently discovered SydneyAlice, but this is the third fic of hers that I'm reading, and she's quickly becoming one of my faves.

For anyone reading PoF, I got a message that it updated today. Haven't gotten around to reading it yet...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

newborntwifan wrote:I'm reading Amnesiaward, too. I've only recently discovered SydneyAlice, but this is the third fic of hers that I'm reading, and she's quickly becoming one of my faves.

For anyone reading PoF, I got a message that it updated today. Haven't gotten around to reading it yet...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Read all of her stuff. You really can't go wrong. :)

[EDIT:]

Okay gang... so I just read the BEST Jacob POV fic ever!! It's written by a friend of a friend and a TwiGuy. He and his wife are really wonderful, and his writing is the same.

"Wish Granted", by KzintiKiller, is the the story of Jacob getting his fondest wish. A world without magic, vampires, or Edward Cullen. The world in which Bella Swan is free to be his soul mate. Warning: NOT Team Jacob territory.

And if you're into "fan fixes", I highly recommend his, "The Path Not Taken," where Bella gets a firm wake up call in and alternate universe to Eclipse. A strong Bella & don't panic while reading, it's definitely Team Edward territory.