Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread 2

Things having to do with Twilight that are related to the book: fanfic, rpg, products, websites, book clubs, etc.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
newborntwifan
Wandering Through Town

Re: Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread 2

Post by newborntwifan »

VolturiGirl wrote:I went back to some of the earlier pages on this thread and found a real good fanfic read. It's called Expectations and Other Moving Pieces.

Very angsty, but it's more like real life. Like something like this could actually happen to any person. It is an A/H fanfic. I started to read it and couldn't put it down.

Based on your rec, I started reading it yesterday and I have spent every spare moment reading. Really heart-wrenching, but you're right, I couldn't put it down.

I made sure to tell my husband how much I love and appreciate him yesterday. I just can't imagine my marriage ever being so broken! I hope they can find a way...
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

newborntwifan wrote:
VolturiGirl wrote:I went back to some of the earlier pages on this thread and found a real good fanfic read. It's called Expectations and Other Moving Pieces.

Very angsty, but it's more like real life. Like something like this could actually happen to any person. It is an A/H fanfic. I started to read it and couldn't put it down.
Based on your rec, I started reading it yesterday and I have spent every spare moment reading. Really heart-wrenching, but you're right, I couldn't put it down.

I made sure to tell my husband how much I love and appreciate him yesterday. I just can't imagine my marriage ever being so broken! I hope they can find a way...
That is so sweet!! Made me go "aww"!

Could someone give me a synopsis of this story? I went to ff.net but it seemed just to dive into it.. Thanks! :)
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
VolturiGirl
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by VolturiGirl »

Long story short, ExB are married, but they are having A LOT of marital problems. Edward is a real jerk to Bella and she is too dependent on him to leave him. Insert JxA who kind of help BxE out.
One of the reasons I like this story is because when things are going well for the two of them, they don't just magically fall in love. They are like real people with real issues and act out as a real married couple would.
Banner by Tammy AZ

Aro, Caius, Marcus
The Original Godfathers
VolturiGirl
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by VolturiGirl »

PoF updated earlier this week. Oh man, the end of the chapter.....!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Banner by Tammy AZ

Aro, Caius, Marcus
The Original Godfathers
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

Alphie wrote:It's only in Twilight fan fiction that the writers have abandoned the basis for the fandom and made all the vampires human. Or they move all the characters to other eras and make them completely different from what they are in the books. I don't get this. At all. I've read several all human fan fics and I honestly don't get it. He's not Edward if he's human, right? The only all human fic I think I could read is if it took place before they were changed into vampires. I don't get how Edward can be an English Spy and Bella is the Russian agent he's been assigned to take down... or whatever else is out there. How is that "Twilight" fan fiction when it has nothing to do with Twilight aside from the character names?
So... I missed an awesome conversation!! Just figures it would happen when I'm otherwise distracted and can't contribute. :roll:

Anyway, Alphie, for a long time, I completely and totally agreed with you. I just didn't get the whole idea of "All-human" unless somehow Edward and/or the rest of the vampires became human somehow, or Bella was magically transported back in time before Edward became a vampire, and so forth. In fact, to this day, those stories are some of my absolute favorites to take for a test drive and see if they're any good. Not all of them are, but there have been a few truly enjoyable ones. And I have to agree with Amanda Beth & Kayla that writing canon, or canon-based AU, is very challenging.

As for the draw of it? Who knows?? Maybe the first all-human story out there was just, "What would Bella & Edward's love story have been like if there were no such thing as vampires?" Maybe, at the beginning, it was an intriguing and, dare I say... original fanfiction concept? Obviously, that's no longer the case, & most of these stories do seem to be all about the um... lemons, or the baking, if you prefer. ;) However... if the current state of Twilight fanfiction leaves you feeling a bit lost, take heart. There is a canon/AU fanfiction author who is doing something rather interesting right now, something I think might be right up your alley, as well as a few others here:

Fanfiction author, Solareclipses, has started what she is calling The Canon Tour. From her blog, she explains it like this: "The Canon Tour is all about bringing Stephenie Meyer's canon vamps back to the Twilight fandom. It's a series of six canon and AU contests that reflect SM's main books of the saga: Pre-Twilight, Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn and Post-Breaking Dawn.

If you're interested in finding out more about this, or in reading and voting for your favorite submissions over the contest period, please visit the FAQ page on The Canon Tour's Website, AND be sure to subscribe to The Canon Tour's FFn profile to be notified when new stories are uploaded/added to the contest.

The contest is currently in the "Pre-Twilight" round. Submissions are still being accepted until Aug. 31st, and will be posted anonymously to the FFn Profile page on Sept. 1st. Voting will run from Sept. 1-10th, and then winners will be announced. After that, the "Twilight" round will begin, and submissions will be accepted between Sept. 20th & Oct. 20th, while voting starts after that, on Oct. 21st. The contest will continue on in this manner until they get all the way through to Post-Breaking Dawn stories.

2nd thing:
Alphie wrote: So I pose the question - is it the actual characters of Edward and Bella that we are drawn to or is it the idea that someone named Edward, who has some power in the world, and someone named Bella, who is slightly weaker than this Edward, ends up in a complicated relationship where they have amazing sex? Do we like them or do we just like their names?
I think the very reason that the names work for plots we would normally find laughable outside of fanficiton, is that they represent a love story with huge redemptive messages in it. It's the idea of a perfect love in which we find salvation and new life, and then pass it on. However, for some people, it's just that they can count on Bella & Edward to always end up together, no matter the obstacles in their way. Additionally, the fans that have come on board since the films were made are (if you haven't noticed) very, very passionate about the actors that play these characters. :) I honestly feel (and this is just my opinion) that many people are using the names "Bella" & "Edward" to substitute for the real-life personas that they just can't get enough of.
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

That Canon Tour sounds interesting...too bad LAF and TPC are 87k and 150k words and go over the word limit just a tinyyy bit ;) It will either work or be a disaster since majority of attempts on canon suck big time.

I do like "promoting grammatically correct content". Not to say that my stories were without errors--they were and I was too stubborn to get a beta and I think I'll always find errors (esp with comas...how I loath them). Gin was decent when it came to grammar, but until Caryn took over as Ang's beta, TEF had tons of errors even with her earlier betas. Typos which should have been picked up by any word processing program, switching between tenses, using drug instead of dragged (probably one of my BIGGEST. PET. PEEVES. EVER. And when someone does it I never forget it lol), incorrect dialogue formatting. Sometimes it was painful to read.
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Oh, I meant to ask those of you who are following Savage's "Unexpected Circumstances," were you surprised about the tea?

Switch to invisible font:
I was NOT surprised. AT ALL. In fact, it was a painfully, painfully slow revelation for me. It was almost irritating because I guessed it from the moment Jane mentioned that the tea could lessen menstrual pains. I also figured that the way the tea would function to reduce pain would likely be by thinning the lining of the uterus and thereby making it less receptive to conceiving a child! I mean... duh!! So, anyway, it's out there now. Hopefully that means that Aro loses his head and Edward and Bella have a baby on the way in about... say, three weeks?? (I give her one for her approaching cycle, and 2 more until she's you know... receptive. LOL!) Just the thought makes me wanna do a happy dance. :yahoo:
VolturiGirl
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by VolturiGirl »

Ginnie ~ I read the update last night...

Inv font:I first thougth Jane had something to do with it when it was getting later and later without Bella having her period and not getting pregnent. I remembered when Bella saw Jane getting attacked and Jane asked Bella not to say anything and it all clicked for me when Angela started to drink the tea and not get pregnant. I was like "it's the tea Bella." :o (Ya, I yelled at my iPod to Bella) Aro, what were you thinking?

Here is a question inv font: What do you think Aro is doing to the castle? I haven't got a clue.
Banner by Tammy AZ

Aro, Caius, Marcus
The Original Godfathers
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

VolturiGirl wrote:PoF updated earlier this week. Oh man, the end of the chapter.....!

Totally with you, lady. I actually woke up Hubs with my rather explative-laden surprise. :lol: What can I say? PAW rubs off on you after a while.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Jazz Girl wrote:
VolturiGirl wrote:PoF updated earlier this week. Oh man, the end of the chapter.....!

Totally with you, lady. I actually woke up Hubs with my rather explative-laden surprise. :lol: What can I say? PAW rubs off on you after a while.
That was one that had me thinking I needed to go back and re-read the whole freakin' thing. I am sooo confused.