Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread 2

Things having to do with Twilight that are related to the book: fanfic, rpg, products, websites, book clubs, etc.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread 2

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

Tornado - heading for your latest chapter later tonight!

Jazz Girl - I think it has thrown nearly every author for a loop. I know one who has declared she will stop writing B+E. To which I responded, B+E LIVE! But it is hard to re-focus, everyone is so sad.

Hope to get back to writing myself sometime soon....
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I think we all need to step back and remember that Bella and Edward are NOT Rob and Kristen. They just play them well onscreen. Bella and Edward (in the fantasy world of Twilight) are both vampires, and therefore unchanging and never likely to look at anyone else in that way at all. They will probably never die and never stop loving each other like they did in the books.
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

Hey, look who it is? Thought I'd fallen off the face of the earth, hadn't you?? ;)

Well, I'm alive. Mostly. And I'm sorry for the long, long absence, but I truly have missed the Lex and so I stopped in to see what all you were discussing here-- in the very first discussion thread I ever butted my way into. :P That said, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the whole issue of people ditching FFn and Twilight in general due to the idiocy-induced-media-propelled-personal-hell that the actors are currently going through has popped up here as well. In all honestly, this type of discussion seems much more appropriate than many I've been witness to in recent weeks. Anyway...

Tornado wrote:I think we all need to step back and remember that Bella and Edward are NOT Rob and Kristen. They just play them well onscreen. Bella and Edward (in the fantasy world of Twilight) are both vampires, and therefore unchanging and never likely to look at anyone else in that way at all. They will probably never die and never stop loving each other like they did in the books.

I have to agree with you, Lynne, but I think Caryn hit the nail on the head. Personally, I feel like I have a dang good reason to be thrown for a loop. As a fan of the franchise, both books and films, the actors are people I've come to care for while I've supported them these last few years. So when bad things happen to them, I feel for them, and not just Rob and Kristen. I went through something similar when Peter and JennyG announced their split. But in this case, with the whole disaster involving verified infidelity, it was more profound.

I'll admit... I shouldn't have looked at the dang pictures. I really shouldn't have. There was so much talk of it being a scam before the statements were released, that I looked. Which, as we've already established, I shouldn't have. :doh: Seeing what was captured in those images and recognizing the repercussions they would have made me feel physically ill on behalf of the jilted partners in the equation. It was like a punch in the gut. All I could do was think of what it would have been like to, not only see visual evidence that my spouse had been with another person, but to have it displayed publicly like that. Let's just say that I'm way too empathetic for my own good. And now... I honestly have to wonder if that was what my mother and sister felt like when they learned that I'd been hurt the same way by my spouse. Did they feel as sick about it as I did? Maybe the heartbreak and betrayal wasn't theirs to own, but the loss of the image they had of my spouse and of us as a couple had to have been a fairly devastating thing for them. They care for me, so they hurt with me. So yeah, maybe we all care a little too much for these people we don't even know, maybe it's silly that the demise of a relationship between a couple of actors could affect our own emotions and our ability to enjoy what is essentially a fairytale, but I have to believe it's because we adopted these individuals into our perceived families.

As for the reality check that the actors are not their characters... I think the heartache there has a lot to do with the fans having been so happy to see a bit of the Bella/Edward HEA fantasy lived out in these two young people finding happiness with each other. Yes, yes, Rob and Kristen are not, and never were, anything like their characters, but let's not pretend that we all didn't do a big ol' "ahhhhh!" the first time we saw them share what appeared to be a private smile with each other. And let's not pretend we don't do the same thing when any of our Hollywood favorites do the same thing. Because this is what we do. It's fantasy come to life in our minds. We "oooh and ahhh" over people we don't know, hoping that somehow, someway, they'll give us a glimpse of the kind of happily-ever-after we'll otherwise only ever read about. It's just a fact of life. If we can't have it for ourselves, we want to at least believe that that kind of love is real and does exist for somebody, somewhere.

And that's more than my two-cents for the day. So much for my "no comment" status. :banghead:
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Sorry for the double post, but this is a complete topic switch.

Great blog article on fanfiction vs. published fiction, something I know we've discussed here in the past. :)
I'm Done Explaining Why Fanfiction is Okay
crafty_em
Settled in Forks

Post by crafty_em »

http://glassbug.blog.co.uk/ here is my 1st extract from a much longer story I am writing in contrast to the rest of the story it is a bit boring but this is also my first time and at sharing something I've written with someone other than me. lol

I hope it is a good read please let me know what you think
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I'll make sure I have a look later, Em. I've got a fairly quiet day today!
MoonlessNight
Settled in Forks

Post by MoonlessNight »

For anyone who has read Only Human by Amethyst Jackson, which was one of the first fanfic's I've read and is in my top ten favorites, she has been updating Anatomy of a Human (EPOV). It's a must read for anyone who hasn't read it.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5879490/1/A ... of_a_Human

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4293411/1/Only_Human
A wish sends Bella back in time to Chicago, 1918, and to a human Edward. This story is baby-free.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

crafty_em, I had a look at what you wrote. It was nice. The only criticism I will give (and I'm only trying to be helpful, so please don't take it badly) is that you need to consider using more punctuation. Some of your sentences are very long and need splitting up. Punctuation can help with that. There are a couple of spelling mistakes, too. But, having said that, good job! :)
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

MoonlessNight wrote:For anyone who has read Only Human by Amethyst Jackson, which was one of the first fanfic's I've read and is in my top ten favorites, she has been updating Anatomy of a Human (EPOV). It's a must read for anyone who hasn't read it.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5879490/1/A ... of_a_Human

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4293411/1/Only_Human
A wish sends Bella back in time to Chicago, 1918, and to a human Edward. This story is baby-free.

Those were really good, MN. I preferred TKegl's "Beyond Time" a little more than Only Human though . Very similar in concept, but I liked the way Beyond Time ended better. (More tie-in to canon, in my opinion.)
crafty_em
Settled in Forks

Post by crafty_em »

Tornado wrote:crafty_em, I had a look at what you wrote. It was nice. The only criticism I will give (and I'm only trying to be helpful, so please don't take it badly) is that you need to consider using more punctuation. Some of your sentences are very long and need splitting up. Punctuation can help with that. There are a couple of spelling mistakes, too. But, having said that, good job! :)

Thanks I tried my best but I'm dyslexic of all things so it's a little harder for me and the punctuation looked good to me. will go over it again now. By the way can someone help me get fanfiction to work properly. I don't know how to get it to post my stories on there?

Also is it just me or does everyone else write their chapters out of sequence lol. I'm writing 6 chapters of the same story at the same time?