A thesis discussion--place to discuss thesis papers

Things having to do with Twilight that are related to the book: fanfic, rpg, products, websites, book clubs, etc.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Songbird
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: A thesis discussion--place to discuss thesis papers

Post by Songbird »

+ What is your age and gender?
I will be 36 in just a few days and I am female

+ Would you classify yourself as a 'fan' of Twilight?
I think that's an understatement, but we'll go with "yes"

+ Have you read all the books, watched all the films or both?
All of both, repeatedly, and I've also read the official illustrated guide twice.

+ Do you own any Twilight merchandise? (If so, how much? And what do you own?)
All the books, dvds, the official illustrated guide, a team Switzerland t-shirt, a bracelet and a necklace that I made, a Christmas Tree ornament I made myself, I buy a new calendar each year, and a friend sent me little mini-lunch pail with candy in it that I saved, and by BFF sent me some chocolates wrapped in Bella, Edward and Jacob wrapper...I saved one of each. I think that's it...

+ Why do you like Twilight?
I identify with a lot of the characters...I come from a town even smaller than forks and in a lot of ways it's like reading about people from my high school, but with a much nicer storyline. And I love romance.

+ Do you read or watch any other vampire fiction? Did you prior to watching to Twilight?
I don't...I did try to read the Sookie Stackhouse series after I read twilight, but I didn't like it. I also read a few of the Vampire Diaries books, which I enjoyed, but not on the same level as Twilight. I have watched Interview with a Vampire, a few episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I saw the original movie of Buffy as well, and I read Bram Stoker's Dracula in high school. That's pretty much it.

+ Do you think vampires have changed since Twilight?
I don't really know...I stay away from the genre for the most part because the non-veg vampires freak me out and I find myself comparing things to Twilight and none of it measures up. So it's possible, but I couldn't tell you.

+ Do you write any fanfiction or have you ever made a fan video on Youtube?
No, I don't even read fan fic. It's not my thing...I prefer the stories to come straight from SM.

+ Have you ever participated in a Twilight related meet up? (Such as a book signing, midnight opening etc)
I went to the midnight screening of BD Part 2, but that's the only thing they've had here in the Netherlands that I know of.

+ What do you think the appeal of Twilight is?
I think that depends on who you are talking to....why does chocolate appeal to people? Or Skiing? Or gardening? It's a matter of taste. For some it might be the "love triangle" aspect, for some it might be like reliving the experience of falling in love, for some it's the Happily Ever After, for some it might be the lack of violence in an otherwise violent genre...for some it might be all of the above or some mixture.

+ Do fans use the terms Twi-Hards or Twi-Mums etc, or do you feel they are derogatory?
I've used the term Twi-Hard. I think there are some who use them in a derogatory manner, but I don't think that's always the case.

+ Anything you'd like to add about the fandom surrounding Twilight??
nope
Signature artwork by TammyAZ
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

+ What is your age and gender?
26, male

+ Would you classify yourself as a 'fan' of Twilight?
Well, um, Yes :)

+ Have you read all the books, watched all the films or both?
I've read all the novels, and I've seen all the films (either at theater or on DVD) except for BD2

+ Do you own any Twilight merchandise? (If so, how much? And what do you own?)
Some, mostly the film books, the official guide, and the Twilight graphic novel first edition

+ Why do you like Twilight?
It's not the typical vampire stories that have been told over and over again. It's more contemporary and, in my opinion, a better story than those that have been rehashed over and over again, irregardless of what critics have said. I also sort of identify with Bella and Edward

+ Do you read or watch any other vampire fiction? Did you prior to watching to Twilight?
Only real other vampire stuff that I've read of watched was the Hellsing anime cartoons and the Castlevania video games

+ Do you think vampires have changed since Twilight?
Depends on what you mean by changed. If you mean as in the "Dracula" type vampires, maybe not, at least as far as I noticed, but newer vampire fiction does tend to paint vampires in a more positive light, and that they don't have to be evil characters, at least if they act out of their own volation
+ Do you write any fanfiction or have you ever made a fan video on Youtube?
I've written, and I'm in the process of writing, several fan fics. Here's a list:

Dark Side of the Moon (completed, being revised)
Echoes (Completed, will be revised)
The Division Bell (Nearly completed, OC driven story within an alternative Twilight universe)
The Wall (Work in progress, OC driven story presenting events of DSotM from an OC's POV)
Bio-Booster Armor Twilight (Crossover crackfic featuring characters from the Twilight Saga and the Japanese sci-fi action/adventure manga Bio-Booster Armor Guyver)

+ Have you ever participated in a Twilight related meet up? (Such as a book signing, midnight opening etc)
No, not really outside of this forum and a couple of others and talking to fans online

+ What do you think the appeal of Twilight is?
Non-traditional vampire story, with little action, a lot of romance, and shows that vampires don't have to be the baddies

+ Do fans use the terms Twi-Hards or Twi-Mums etc, or do you feel they are derogatory?
I don't really even think about these terms often--either I've chosen to ignore them, or have heard them so much that they don't register to me. As far as the meaning of the terms, it's the user who gives the terms their meaning, be it negative or positive

+ Anything you'd like to add about the fandom surrounding Twilight??
Not really--I think that a lot of the previous posters have put it better than I could. However, being a guy in a female dominated fandom can be a bit intimidating a times, but everyone here has made me feel welcomed :) So me being male hasn't been a big deal to anyone, really, aside from the fact that I've been told that they would like to have more people like me who aren't afraid of the Twilight stigma when it comes to guys, and I have to agree. Liking Twilight shouldn't have anything to do with the BS stereotypes that some people stick to it.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Naterpie
Settled in Forks

Post by Naterpie »

Thank you for all the wonderful responses!
I've got all I need now.
I can get a really good discussion going from what you've all said in my dissertation. Thanks so much! : )
"My hallucinatory Edwards were usually better fed...."