Chapter 4: Gesture

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
mrscullen:)
Buying a Better Raincoat
Location: At the Cullen house w/ Edward teaching me how to play the piano ooh la la

Re: Chapter 4: Gesture

Post by mrscullen:) »

Yeah i still don't understand what alice said about Edward already having a diamond on bella. i assumed it was the heart charm that she put on her bracelet from edward
ImageImage
mazimendes
Settled in Forks

Post by mazimendes »

1. Bella has a knack for predicting outcomes. She makes a comment to herself about Jacob turning his back on his birthright as pack leader, and this left Sam Uley "to act as the chief of legends and magic now. . . ." Why do you think Bella didn't finish her thought?

No idea... Really haven't thought nothing of this...
2. Why do you believe that Sue Clearwater chopped off her hair? If she was so uncomfortable at the wedding, why did she attend?

She was there for her brother. She doens't trust the vampires.

3. Why does it bother Jacob more that Bella plans on a real human honeymoon than her pending transition in a week or two?

Because he accepted the fact that she's becaming a vampire. But he thinks that a real honeymoon is going to kill her.

4. There is no description of what car was decorated and used for the honeymoon get-away. What car do you believe they used?

I think is Edward's aston martin
5. Why is Bella so hopeful when she waves goodbye and sees her families on the porch?

She believes that, no matter what time takes, she is going to see them again.
"Você me ama"

"Sinceramente, amo"
deven
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by deven »

1. Bella has a knack for predicting outcomes. She makes a comment to herself about Jacob turning his back on his birthright as pack leader, and this left Sam Uley "to act as the chief of legends and magic now. . . ." Why do you think Bella didn't finish her thought?

maybe she realized it was going to happen..one way or the other
2. Why do you believe that Sue Clearwater chopped off her hair? If she was so uncomfortable at the wedding, why did she attend?

probably because leah felt bad about losing her hair so her mom cut hers to so she could make leah feel better. as for the wedding, she has a thing with charlie...sooo....yeah and you support her son
3. Why does it bother Jacob more that Bella plans on a real human honeymoon than her pending transition in a week or two?

because one...edward is already a vampire and its dangerous...two..he loves bella...he wouldnt want her to have sex with another man.
4. There is no description of what car was decorated and used for the honeymoon get-away. What car do you believe they used?

probably the speacial occasion Vanquish but i dont know about the decorations
5. Why is Bella so hopeful when she waves goodbye and sees her families on the porch?

because she realizes that her parents will still have eachother...and they will still have this day
.I<3BDB.I<3Oli sykes!+Randomness Regular+Concert Addict
ForksBound
Settled in Forks

Post by ForksBound »

You guys have covered everything I think, except question 3:

Flashing back to the wonderfully awkward night Jacob, Bella, and Edward spent in the tent (in Eclipse)...at one point, Edward said he was jealous of the things Jacob could do with Bella that he couldn't. Jacob enjoys this, because it gives him that feeling of superiority: "Well, they're together, but they can't ever be together THAT way," or something like it. I think Jacob totally discounts the idea of Edward and Bella having sex after she is turned, because at that point it would be too late for Jacob anyway.

I think Jacob is offended and revulsed at the thought of Bella having sex with a vampire while she is still human, because, to him, as long as she is human, he still thinks of her as his.

Sorry so convoluted... ;)
Babygirl67
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Babygirl67 »

because she thought jacob could have been responsible to take a role such as the alpha and i think she didnt finish her first thought because she was thinking what she would say next

because maybe she could be a werewolf i think she only attended because seth went there

because he thinks that edward will hurt her

the secret car that edward was talking about earlier in the book

so that they wont suspect anything
Sydflower
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by Sydflower »

1. Bella has a knack for predicting outcomes. She makes a comment to herself about Jacob turning his back on his birthright as pack leader, and this left Sam Uley "to act as the chief of legends and magic now. . . ." Why do you think Bella didn't finish her thought?She probably couldn't figure out why..

2. Why do you believe that Sue Clearwater chopped off her hair? If she was so uncomfortable at the wedding, why did she attend? She chopped her hair off to show support for Leah! And she went to the wedding because Seth was friendl with the Cullens and she was supporting her son. And also because she respects Charlie.

3. Why does it bother Jacob more that Bella plans on a real human honeymoon than her pending transition in a week or two? Because he is jealous and worried about Bella getting hurt.

4. There is no description of what car was decorated and used for the honeymoon get-away. What car do you believe they used?I think it is Edward's special occasion car! The Aston Martin

She sees that they know she is leaving and that they are still happy and love eachother.
keds723
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by keds723 »

1. Bella has a knack for predicting outcomes. She makes a comment to herself about Jacob turning his back on his birthright as pack leader, and this left Sam Uley "to act as the chief of legends and magic now. . . ." Why do you think Bella didn't finish her thought? I think in just about every book, the author uses foreshadowing, so this doesn't seem characteristic of Bella to me. I think it's just a passing thought to what is going to happen in the rest of the book. I don't know about any of you, but when I was reading and Jacob became pack leader, somehow I KNEW it was going to happen subconsciously.

2. Why do you believe that Sue Clearwater chopped off her hair? If she was so uncomfortable at the wedding, why did she attend? I think Sue did it for Leah. Obviously, any girl would be devastated if they had to cut off all of their hair and especially if it was out of their control. Sue attended the wedding for the same reasons, to protect and be there for her family. I also wonder if she went partly for Charlie's sake? I can't remember if their relationship evolves later or before the wedding...

3. Why does it bother Jacob more that Bella plans on a real human honeymoon than her pending transition in a week or two? I totally agree that it was the one thing that Jacob could give Bella that Edward couldn't. I think in general before Renesmee that he didn't want anything to happen to Bella, and she could get hurt before the change.

4. There is no description of what car was decorated and used for the honeymoon get-away. What car do you believe they used? DUH, it's the Aston Martin. Haha!

5. Why is Bella so hopeful when she waves goodbye and sees her families on the porch? Even though she is not going to be a human anymore, she is hopeful she will be able to still be in touch with the families left on the porch. She probably realized that everyone she loved was in one place and they were getting alonggg...oh joy!
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

I think it was because she's thinking about something that really didn't concerned her. It was Jacob's decision to claim his right as Alpha or not. A complicated territory.

I think to be closer to Leah, who changed so much since she phased. Maybe, as her mother, she was trying to understand how Leah was felling, less feminine everyday because of the period. And the same applies to the wedding. She was uncomfortable, as she was when Charlie went to visit Bella and Nessie, but I think she'd rather be there and watch the Cullens, than staying home and waiting. Seth wanted to go, so she went with him. She's trying to be as close as she can of her children. As a mother, she's probably suffering a lot, but I can see she's doing the best she can.

I think the idea both disgusted him and hurt him at the same time. It disgusted him because Edward is something that he despise and also because it would be very dangerous for Bella physically, since he could bite her or broke her so very easily. And it hurt a lot because she'd be with another man and that man wasn't him.

Because she knows that she's leaving everyone with a smile, they had the opportunity to see she was happy marrying with Edward and she's confident that, even suffering a bit with her being apart from them, they'd heal eventually.
watchoverme
Settled in Forks

Post by watchoverme »

I think that this is moreso a reminder to the reader that Jacob is the rightful Alpha, as this plays a role in later events. The fact that Jacob is the true Alpha isn't something that is as emphasized as other things in the book, so I think Meyer wanted to be sure that the reader remembered this fact.

I agree with those of you that have said it was a show of solidarity for Leah. And, if I were Seth's mom and he was going to an event with an abundance of vampires...I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want him going by himself. Maybe it also had to do with being there for Charlie.

He is so repulsed and livid that they are going to take that chance, which could have resulted in an earlier transformation date. Considering how in love with Bella he is at this point, the fact that someone he hates so much is going to try something so dangerous was the last straw - the one that broke the camel's back per se.

Whenever it's not specified, I usually imagine the Volvo. Although it could have been the Mercedes as well. One of those two. :)

After this, she's unsure as to when or if she'll see them again. She is hopeful in that she wants to believe she'll be able to control herself enough to visit them. I also think a part of it is that they will be there for each other, and that things will work out for the best in the end.
Megan

4 Books. 2360 Pages. Worth every second.

Before you, my life was like a moonless night...
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:Many thanks to Una for providing this discussion for us!

1) Really, what more could she have said - it was just an acknowledgement of a truth and no more.

2)Probably a reminent of the grief of losing her husband, and possibly in unity to her daughter. She attended because her son wanted to be there and she wanted to make sure everything would be okay.

3)For one, he despises the thought of Edward and Bella being physically intimate and he knows that Edward could very easily kill Bella if he gets out of control. He understands vampires all to well.

4)The Volvo.

5)To see everyone in their perfect place in their own lives. Her parents at peace with each other. Her mom with her new love and husband. It was reassuring to her.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict