Chapter 6: Distractions

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 6: Distractions

Post by Alphie »

1. What did you think of Bella’s offer to stay human longer if Edward would only make love to her? Did you think that he would give in?

2. Did you assume, like Bella, that he odd eating and sleeping habits were due to the amount of activity she and Edward was participating in, or did you have other suspicions?

3. What did you think about Kaure’s fear for Bella’s safety and the argument she had with Edward? If you had been in Kaure’s position, would you have tried harder or been too afraid to confront Edward?

4. Did it surprise you that Edward could eventually make love to Bella without hurting her, or was that something that you assumed he would eventually be able to do with enough control and resistance?
Imagine
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 6: Distractions

Post by Imagine »

1. What did you think of Bella’s offer to stay human longer if Edward would only make love to her? Did you think that he would give in?
I think it was an act of desperation, a way to show Edward exactly how much she wanted to be with him. But I knew the offer wouldn't go over well.

2. Did you assume, like Bella, that he odd eating and sleeping habits were due to the amount of activity she and Edward was participating in, or did you have other suspicions?
No! I thought she was just sick from the food and stress and all. The outcome totally surprised me.

3. What did you think about Kaure’s fear for Bella’s safety and the argument she had with Edward? If you had been in Kaure’s position, would you have tried harder or been too afraid to confront Edward?
I think she was just going off her legends.. but I think her concern was well founded. And I probably would've been too scared, if I was in her position, to do anything.

4. Did it surprise you that Edward could eventually make love to Bella without hurting her, or was that something that you assumed he would eventually be able to do with enough control and resistance?
Yeah! I mean, Edward was known for his self control for the first three books. I didn't think that he would let himself try again, what with that self loathing trip he was on. But I'm glad he got over it!
Team Edward :D I made my own icon!
tiffanyh
Settled in Forks

Post by tiffanyh »

I don't know. That's a tricky one. I almost wonder how honest her offer was... but she's an open and honest person, too. As for Edward... he loves Bella... and wants to keep her human as long as possible... so yeah.

I honestly didn't suspect she was pregnant. It wasn't until the chicken made her sick that it "clicked" in my head. I just assumed it was because she was active... and comfortable around him.

I would have been too afraid of Edward, honestly, if I had the same beliefs she did. Based on what she was raised to believe, I think she was justified in her actions.

I figured, just with being around her and her smell and her blood, he'd become okay with it.
Isabella Swan? I promise to love you forever — every single day of forever. Will you marry me?
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 20, p.460
TEAM EDWARD!
geminitwin
Settled in Forks

Post by geminitwin »

Bella is quick to negotiate with him, knowing most of the time the deals don't work out the way they plan. I did think he would give in eventually, regardless of the deal.

I immediately thought she was pregnant, now that the marriage and honeymoon night were over what else would she have to throw in there! It was not very subtle and didn't take long for them to find out.

I was concerned that maybe the pregnancy would put her life at risk, but then Edward has the ability to step in if that was truly the case and make her immortal. I don't see how someone in her position wouldn't say anyting, he's married to a mortal. Why would he harm Kaure for informing him of the risk she thought Bella, the love of his life, was in?

Assumed it would get easier, he was able to continue staying with her at night and kissing her all the time. While it is definitely more intense, I believed they would get past it.
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

1. What did you think of Bella’s offer to stay human longer if Edward would only make love to her? Did you think that he would give in? I thought Bella's offer was ridiculous. Stay human and toss away all her previous wants and dreams just for more sex? God, I wanted to slap her. Truthfully, after Bella said that I wanted him to never give in because she was being so ridiculous.

2. Did you assume, like Bella, that he odd eating and sleeping habits were due to the amount of activity she and Edward was participating in, or did you have other suspicions? I thought it was strange that Edward's activities could tire her out so much to the point that she was falling asleep at the dinner table, but I never suspected she was pregnant.

3. What did you think about Kaure’s fear for Bella’s safety and the argument she had with Edward? If you had been in Kaure’s position, would you have tried harder or been too afraid to confront Edward? I didnt like Kaure; she was making me mad. I wanted her to just do her job and leave already. But if i was in her position, i would have been too afraid to confront him.

4. Did it surprise you that Edward could eventually make love to Bella without hurting her, or was that something that you assumed he would eventually be able to do with enough control and resistance? I thought he could do it, he just needed to practice more and learn what not to do and what he should do in order to ensure her safety. But i was glad when he finally gave in and they could behave like a normal married couple.
girlvampsfan
Settled in Forks

Post by girlvampsfan »

1) I thought that he was going to have to give in. I mean if you consider what she was waering too... what man wouldn't give in. Edward must of had some good will power to kiss her like that then say no.It even seemed a little mean to teas bella like that. :twisted: :o
2) I knew the whole time that the eating habits wern't from the activity but I did think the sleeping was. I didn't know wat was worong with her untill she didn't like the chicken. Then I knew She was pregnate... I mean who in their right mind would throw out som perfectly goo chicken.
4) i knew Edward had enough will power not to hurt bella while making love to her as soon as he said know to her outfit and offers. Only sombody with 10000 times the normal self-controle could do that. So I knew he could make love to her and not hurt her.
elizabethswan19
Settled in Forks

Post by elizabethswan19 »

I thought that was a very clever attempt on Bella’s part. She knew that’s what he wanted most. I honestly thought that he was going to give in right then when she proposed the offer and I was a little disappointed that he didn’t right away. He has a hard time resisting her to begin with so when she woke up crying and begging him I knew he wouldn’t be able to resist giving her what she wanted... finally.

2. Did you assume, like Bella, that the odd eating and sleeping habits were due to the amount of activity she and Edward was participating in, or did you have other suspicions?

I did think the eating and sleeping habits were from the activity. Edward had her running all over the island hiking and swimming and she was never that active or sporty so all the increased activity was bound to make her a bit tired. I didn’t suspect pregnancy until she didn’t like the chicken that she ate right after waking up from the dream about the child again.

I had no idea what to make of the conversation. Maybe Stephanie will write and “extra” where she explains what was said. I think though, Kaure grew up hearing the legends and being told the stories and her culture really believed these stories and listened to them almost the way the Quileute’s have passed down stories and legends. So it was understandable that when she met Edward she would assume what he was and why he was alone with Bella. It was almost sweet that she was so caring and worried about Bella and her safety but on the other hand, Kaure didn’t know Bella and it wasn’t her business and she had no right to argue with Edward. If I was in her position I probably would have been too afraid to confront him, but I may have tried to warn them I guess.

No, I wasn’t surprised. I definitely thought that he would give in eventually when he knew what to expect and how to control himself. Also, Bella really wanted it, bruises or not. She didn’t care and she wanted to be with him so I figured when she got that through to him, he would concede.
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by spiritwolf32 »

I figured he would give in. He seemed to not be able to resist what Bella wants as time goes on.

The eating I thought indicated pregnancy lol but the exhaustion, I figured it was due to all the activities more than the pregnancy.

If I believed what she did then I would have been frightened. She didn't know Edward so how was she supposed to know that he was a good vampire.

NO, I figured that he just had to learn how to handle it. It was new to him so things had to be worked on as Bella said.
Elisabeth33
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Elisabeth33 »

I didn't like that idea because she's so vulnerable to Edward's world.

I wondered what was going on with her, but I didn't suspect anything.

She was justified in being afraid for Bella, there's only 13 known vampires at this point(Carlisle, Esme, Emmett, Rose, Edward, Bella, Alice, Jasper, Kate, Tanya, Irina, Carmen and Eleazar) that don't drink human blood, this is the first time Kaure's ever run into something like them.

No, like Bella, I think he can do just about anything he puts his mind to so he loves her so much that he can't allow himself to hurt her. I was even a little surprised he bruised her, but I didn't like the fact he was so hard on himself about it.
dragonrider713
Wandering Through Town

Post by dragonrider713 »

I thought that Bella's offer was pretty clever. She knew that Edward wanted her to stay human longer, so she tried to use that to her advantage. I knew that he would give in.

I thought something was up, but I never expected it to be what it was.

I think Kaure's fear was justified. I probably owuld have been too afriad to confront Edward about it.

I assumed that with some practice, they would be able to make love with no risk of Bella being harmed.