Chapter 7: Unexpected

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: Chapter 7: Unexpected

Post by ForJazz926 »

2. (For those who have not had children): If you were in a committed relationship with someone nearly as perfect as Edward, how would you react to an unexpected pregnancy?

I'm at the point where it wouldn't be that shocking - I would be happy and I'd have the baby, even though it wasn't planned. There was a time in my life I would have definitely panicked, though.

3. Was the pregnancy as unexpected for you as it was for Bella and Edward?

No - I knew.

4. Both Bella and Edward act fiercely to protect the ones they love. Do you think it is right for Bella to protect her baby before considering Edward’s needs?

Yes - I think it's natural. But I think she could have told him and he would have understood. they are good at communicating when they give it a chance. He'd never hurt her or someone she cared about, and she should know that by now.

Image Image
TeamHeidi55
Settled in Forks

Post by TeamHeidi55 »

2. (For those who have not had children): If you were in a committed relationship with someone nearly as perfect as Edward, how would you react to an unexpected pregnancy?

I think the most difficult part of this is the idea that the other person is against it. When you are willing to give everything to someone (including your humanity), it seems like it would be very difficult to go against that person. I would like to think that I would be supportive and happy, etc. But I would be heavily influenced by the feelings of my partner (especially since she would be the one who has to carry the child and handle the most difficult parts). If she were opposed to it, I would feel very guilty about trying to convince her, otherwise. It really isn't something I would want to think about at the moment.

I had kind of caught on to the dreams and the story about the immortal children that something related to a birth was going to occur. But I did fear that since it was the last in the series that SM might use it as an out to end the Saga with Bella's death during childbirth. That would have been too traumatic to handle and I would have probably put down the book and not finished it.

4. Both Bella and Edward act fiercely to protect the ones they love. Do you think it is right for Bella to protect her baby before considering Edward’s needs?

Bella sees herself as the protecting type. I think she obviously sees the unborn child as someone who needs protection (like she herself needed help) because of the mixed up world of magic with which they exist in. While she seems to go against Edward, I think she sees it as an opportunity to show him that he is mistaken in his beliefs that the child is bad (just as she showed him that vampires and shape shifters could get along after all). In other words, she is just being Bella and she knows that he loves her and will eventually come around to her point of view.
Hailish
Settled in Forks

Post by Hailish »

I think I would be excited, and I would be happy and content to keep and raise the baby. But I also think I would feel a tinge of disappointment for what was lost - plenty of time alone with my new husband. That's what I felt when I found out Edward and Bella were pregnant. I was excited for what was ahead of them, but sad that they wouldn't get to experience being together just the two of them, without a baby. But that's just the way life goes sometimes, and you work with and learn to love what you get.

Yes! It went completely over my head. All the dizziness and dreams and ralphing was totally lost on me. lol. It wasn't until she became conscious of the "nudging" that I finally got it. I basically didn't figure it out until I was hit over the head with it.

Absolutely. But like Julie said, I think they should have communicated better about it. They are a partnership and they do need to give thought to each other's needs. But she is also a mother and I think in some instances motherly protection trumps spousal protection.
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

Im not sure. I wouldn't like to get pregnant during the honeymoon. I would want some time to be together first. After that.. I don't know. I would be annoyed probably, because I'd rather wait till I was a wee bit older.

Yes. I wasn't ready for them to have a baby.

I felt bad for Edward, how Bella instantly chose the baby over him - but what do I know? Ive never had a child.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
cassis_rose
Changing People's Minds With Jasper

Post by cassis_rose »

Since it is a committed relationship, I wouldn't react too badly to it. But, it will be nice to wait for a few years.

I guessed I saw it coming. I know the symptons relating to a pregnancy. I was a little shocked at the prospect though, didn't SM says vampires can't have babies, was my first thought. Then, I was thinking, maybe I got tricked.

Yes, I may be too young to be a mother, but I know the instinct that most mothers will have. Nobody matters at that moment, even herself, which is why some mothers sacrifice themselves for their children.
Team Carlisle ~ Cullenist - Hail to Carlisle
jawsuhlin
Settled in Forks
Location: "You really ought to give Iowa a try!" - The Music Man

Post by jawsuhlin »

I am, and I would be psyched, I think. I'm not trying, but it would be a pleasant surprise, I think.

Unfortunately, no. My little sister told me about it when I thought I would never read the novels, because I was a stuck up fan of the classics. Once she mentioned Bella reading Jane Austen, I gave in. So, the secret surprise was ruined for me.

Absolutely. Edward needs Bella. Bella needs baby. Thus, Edward needs baby. It made sense to her, and it makes sense to me.
Riddalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Riddalyn »

I've always thought that I would be happy about an unexpected pregnancy, whether the man I was with was like Edward or not. I love children, I get attatched to them quite easily. But I would be even more happy about it if I had a man nearly as committed as Edward (just to note, I have never thought of Edward as perfect).

Unfortunately, no. I saw it coming. What with rumors swirling and the signs in the book, I knew it was coming.

Yes. Even though I do not have children, I understand the maternal instinct very well. When you are a mother, nothing matters more than your child. Nothing... not even Edward.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
BrokenDreams
Wandering Through Town

Post by BrokenDreams »

I think I would be excited. I love kids, and I would love to be a mom.

No, my friend told me about it before I read the book. But if she hadn't told me, I think I would have been surprised.

Yes. I know I'm too young to be a mom, but I know that mothers have an instinct to protect their children. When you're a mom, your child is the most important thing in your life.
twilightfan1
Settled in Forks

Post by twilightfan1 »

1. (For those that have already had children): Before you had children, what were your thoughts and feelings about child bearing? How are these thoughts similar and different to Bella’s thoughts? Did those change when you learned you were pregnant like they did for Bella?
i'm only 17 i'm no help to you here!

In a way it's a perfect time for Bella to get pregnant, shes got a husband, (and it's EDWARD at that!) financial security with him and had graduated. But if it were me, and even if my man was as perfect as Edward, i don't think i'd be ready. There would be too much on life that i'd miss out on, you'd be stuck at home for so long. Maybe, if my boyfriend could give me immortality it would work out though! ;)

Yes it was, but i immediately accepted it. It made sense to me and it's Stephenie's story, what she says happened, happened.

I imagine it would be right for Bella to do so. They say the maternal instinct is one of a kind.
best_beating_heart
Frozen in Time

Post by best_beating_heart »

well.... i havent had kids yet so i'll answer these questions:

i would be surprised, yeah, but i will be happy too. but there's also the fact if youre married and stable financially and if youre in school or not.

yes!!!! i was like :shock: when i read it.

yes. Edward was only thinking of how it would turn out if it went badly, which is why he wanted to get out the baby. if the baby would have "human" he would have been over-the-moon happy

TM~Maria Dina Corozzo
Teams:Alice, Emmett, Esme, Renesmee, Volturi~Athenodora, JCA~Aubrey Santi~SC