Chapter 7: Unexpected

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 7: Unexpected

Post by sazykid »

1. (For those that have already had children): Before you had children, what were your thoughts and feelings about child bearing? How are these thoughts similar and different to Bella’s thoughts? Did those change when you learned you were pregnant like they did for Bella?

2. (For those who have not had children): If you were in a committed relationship with someone nearly as perfect as Edward, how would you react to an unexpected pregnancy?
Naturally I would freak out first. However, in a situation like Bella's, I think I would have reacted the same way she did. There wouldn't really be any reason to worry too much (minus the fact that her baby is half vampire) because the situation isn't a bad one for bringing kids into the world. There are two people who love eachother and a whole support system that can help us so there would be every reason to be happy and excited.

3. Was the pregnancy as unexpected for you as it was for Bella and Edward?
Of course it was. I kind of picked up on it before they did, but who would think a vampire would be able to reproduce! I mean the mechanics of it seem impossible, so it seemed like an impossibility.

4. Both Bella and Edward act fiercely to protect the ones they love. Do you think it is right for Bella to protect her baby before considering Edward’s needs?
Of course! Edward is a grown up, he can take care of himself. The baby is defenseless and like with all mothers their first instinct is to protect their child above all else. Bella loves Edward without question and she would protect him too if his life were in danger, but she has a different love for her child and she has to protect the baby.
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

1. (For those that have already had children): Before you had children, what were your thoughts and feelings about child bearing? How are these thoughts similar and different to Bella’s thoughts? Did those change when you learned you were pregnant like they did for Bella?
-

2. (For those who have not had children): If you were in a committed relationship with someone nearly as perfect as Edward, how would you react to an unexpected pregnancy?
As it is unexpected I would be shocked at first and unsure. Once I had come to terms with the shock however I would be happy, if I was in such a committed relationship. I would guess that is where the relationship would be heading anyway, children, its just that it may be a little sooner than planned or expected.

Definately! I wasnt thinking SM would be heading down that direction. I was a little dissapointed when I first read it as I would have liked more time and stories on their newly married life together as husband and wife.

4. Both Bella and Edward act fiercely to protect the ones they love. Do you think it is right for Bella to protect her baby before considering Edward’s needs?
I dont know what it is like being pregnant but I imagine you instantly have a very strong bond with the baby inside of you (in most cases anyway) and that would instantly become your priority. The father/boyfriend will be a very close second priority but the baby would be first so yes it is right for Bella to protect her baby before considering Edward's needs.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

I dont have kids....yet... ;)

i'd freak out, then get over it, then be really really really happy!

yes!! i dropped the book like bella dropped her tampons!! i was like, "holy cow!!...no way....is that possible???..." :o :shock: :!: :?:

i was really confused here. shouldnt she care about edward more than some baby that might kill her??? so, no i thought bella wasnt justified.
Betting on Alice.
jacobblacksgirl
Location: Riding motocycles with Jacob........Cliff diving with Jacob, Embry, Quil, and Sam

Post by jacobblacksgirl »

1. (For those that have already had children): Before you had children, what were your thoughts and feelings about child bearing? How are these thoughts similar and different to Bella’s thoughts? Did those change when you learned you were pregnant like they did for Bella? Not Me

2. (For those who have not had children): If you were in a committed relationship with someone nearly as perfect as Edward, how would you react to an unexpected pregnancy? I was pregnent but I had a miscarriage, im still in the committed relationship and out baby was unexpected. I was happy when i found out but my boyfriend was shocked but as time went on he realize that he was going to be a wonderful father

3. Was the pregnancy as unexpected for you as it was for Bella and Edward?. It was unexpected but i got over that my boyfriend had freaked out but then he got over it.

4. Both Bella and Edward act fiercely to protect the ones they love. Do you think it is right for Bella to protect her baby before considering Edward’s needs? Yes, its always the mothers discion if she want;s to keep the baby. the fathers are always gonna say they don't want so they want their wives to kills a human being. So Bella had the right idea. So before the wedding when Bella had the nightmare she has seen herself with a baby so i gues thats why she kept her baby.
I got my werewolf boy.
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

1. Well I don't have any kids so can't answer this one

2. I do have a very good relation with my boyfriend (9,5 years now) but I'm still on birth control, as I am cronically ill a pregnancy would be very inconfiniënt and not good for my health, but I have always said if it would happen the child would be welcome.... but right now I really don't like children..... If I could get an Renesmee (already sleeping, not crying...etc.) I would do it at once...

3. yes and no, I had a problem with a huge spoiler so I knew about renesmee before I started the book... but still it was a surprise for me that SM would include a child in the story

4. I do think Bella should have said at some point before turning home something about it to Edward.. it would save them a lot of trouble I think...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
lorrainebow
Settled in Forks

Post by lorrainebow »

Before I had children I always knew that it was something I would do,. This is not so similar to Bella, but like her I didn't give it much though at 18. I did become pregnant when I was 18, the summer after highschool as. I knew in my mind exactly what I was to do. My husband and I just re arranged our lives to meet the needs of our little girl. I still went to college a few years later and we now have three beautiful children :)
Can't say ;)
It was definitely unexpected. But when I look back on that time in my life, I would never change a thing. I had friends who decided I wasn't worthy of friendship when they found out I was pregnant. Now I look into the eyes of my daughter and think back to that time in my life. I know that every choice I made was the right one, for me.

I think that when you are a mother, you have no choice but to protect your children, even while you're pregnant. Maternal love is different than other forms of love. There isn't a choice. Bella had no choice.

Lorrainebow
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

I don't have any kids, but I still wanted to answer this question. I think having children is going to be wonderful. I am really looking forward to being pregnant, giving birth, and having to provide for another person. So I'm not similar to Bella; I don't see my life without children. I don't know what I'd do if I don't have any..

I would be shocked, if it was unexpected. But I'd also be pleased. Especially if with someone "perfect" like Edward. That would be the general direction of the relationship anyway I guess.

Very! I was shocked. And to be honest, I thought at first the idea was kinda stupid. Espcially Bella becoming so pregnant so fast. But then again, maybe I was just in shock cos once I got used to the idea, I thought it was fine!

Yes. I belive the mother-baby bond is generally very very strong, and mothers have an instinct to protect their children no matter what. As much as Bella loves Edward, her baby will be higher in her list of priorities.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
dazzledBrit

Post by dazzledBrit »

I haven't yet got a baby, but have been pregnant - I've had miscarriages - so I'm going to answer this.

I really get Bella's feelings in Breaking Dawn and understand the whole Rosalie situation, first her being antagonist towards Bella and then super-protective of Bella/Renesmee. Before I met my husband, I didn't really want children. I figured I might have a family someday, but when I was in my 30s and had already done all the big things I wanted to do career-wise. But after meeting my husband and realising that I wanted to be with him forever, I had a complete 180 change of heart and became super broody really fast. Having a baby is now a priority for me.

Umm, not really I don't think. When Bella realised, I figured out the whole "oh, of course, female vamps can't conceive, but male vamps could get a human pregnant: makes total sense" thing before the book explained that. And the symptoms - sickness, dizziness, hunger, dreams, etc - suggested pregnancy to me quickly....but then I've been there recently!

Oh and one thing I always thought SM didn't get quite right. When you're pregnant and your period is 5 days late (so you're probably about 19 days past ovulation), although you definitely wouldn't have a bump with a normal pregnancy, you can have changed sleeping and eating patterns and be dizzy with nausea. I have been! :)

Totally, it's a mother thing. It's not optional or something you think through. It's just automatic - protect the baby before all else. Okay, not everyone falls into that category (or no one would ever do illegal drugs or drink to excess when pregnant!) but that's how it was for me.
Rob's Halfway House member ~ Kristen, Rob AND Taylor fan - The Twilight pedant

Heading to Forks soon...
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

1. (For those that have already had children): Before you had children, what were your thoughts and feelings about child bearing? How are these thoughts similar and different to Bella’s thoughts? Did those change when you learned you were pregnant like they did for Bella?I always knew one day that I would be a mom. I just didn't think I would be 22 when I had my first child. I figured that I would be older. It's different from bella's becuase she didn't care about having kids.

I would be shocked for sure! Anything unexpected is a shock. I would be happy though if I had had a partner like Bella did.

Yes it was. my baby's father was told by several doctors that he was sterile. Well, he's not lol!

Of course it is! She wouldn't be a good mother to be if she didn't. She is the one that had to physically go through a pregnancy and all the many changes, not Edward.
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

When I was like 10.. I wanted like 10 kids, but when I was in my teens I didn't think I ever wanted a child. When I found out I was pregnant, I was in shock for quite awhile.. I kind of didn't want to believe it, but now with a 4 year old sassy daughter,.. I couldn't imagine my life without her! Life is definitely not complete without a child :)

I'd say so! A little different though, I wasn't dating a vampire who I didn't think could reproduce,.. haha. But still shocked, no less.

Of course it's right! If everyone woman aborted a baby because their man wasn't ready or didn't want a child,.. there would be a lot less children in the world! I don't think Bella realizes the intent of Edward's reaction and how horrible and painful this experience is going to be and in the end kill her..