Chapter 11: ...I-Never-Want-To-Do list

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Re: Chapter 11: ...I-Never-Want-To-Do list

Post by akire »

1. Jacob says he doesn’t want to be pack leader and that Sam was better at it; however, there were several instances of Jacob proving he’d be a great leader. What were these examples?

I'm not sure I can think of specific examples, but he seems far more diplomatic and accepting of others' opinions than Sam is. He lets others offer their input and takes their advice. Sam does not do that.

2. Do you think Sam was worried about Jacob being the Alpha because Jacob would prevent them from attacking the Cullens, or because Sam wasn’t ready to give up his role as pack leader?

Probably a little of both. He probably figures that if Jacob didn't take the offer when he first started phasing, he shouldn't really have another chance to be Alpha. Step up or step back, and all that.

3. On both sides – the Cullens and the La Push pack – we see parallel characters. Who do you think parallels with whom and how?

Hmm... well I think the obvious one is Jacob & Edward -- their love for Bella, and their desire to give her what she wants. Sam & Carlisle... both are leaders. The strangest one, I think, is one Leah pointed out; Leah & Rosalie. Both are stuck in a life they hate. Plus someone else said Paul & Emmett, as the ones who would always fight, no matter what.

4. Why is Seth the only wolf to follow Jacob? Why didn't his best friends join him?

Well, as is pointed out, Quil has Claire. Embry very clearly wanted to join him, and does eventually, right? Everyone else is too loyal to Sam, or thinking it through (like Leah). Seth is pretty much the only one who knows exactly how he feels about the Cullens.

5. What do you think went through the pack’s minds when Jacob left and then Seth disappeared from their minds as well?

At first I think they were very confused about what was going on, and then were really worried. It was an unprecedented situation, no one knew what was going to happen.

Image Image Image
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

1. Jacob says he doesn’t want to be pack leader and that Sam was better at it; however, there were several instances of Jacob proving he’d be a great leader. What were these examples?
Uh, the only thing that comes to mind is that he doesn't force people to do things they really don't want to do unless it needs to be done.

2. Do you think Sam was worried about Jacob being the Alpha because Jacob would prevent them from attacking the Cullens, or because Sam wasn’t ready to give up his role as pack leader?

As another poster said, Jacob would attack without an unbaised opinion. He would go in head first because he's been blinded by how he feels for Bella.

3. On both sides – the Cullens and the La Push pack – we see parallel characters. Who do you think parallels with whom and how?

Leah and Rosalie. Both feel like genetic dead ends, and in Rose's case, is a sure dead end.

Seth and Emmett. Lemme explain, both are lovable, once you get to know Emmett in his case, they are both loyal, and both care deeply about other's happiness as well as their own.

Caslisle and Sam. Both are heads of their respected clans and their families listen to what they have to say. They act like father figures to those in thier families.

Esme and Emily. They are both the mother figures of their respected families, and the "children" have a deep respect for them.

4. Why is Seth the only wolf to follow Jacob? Why didn't his best friends join him?

Seth actually likes Edward and the other Cullens. He is can see where Bella is making her choice and respects that the Cullens wouldn't intentionally harm any one. His friends are, possibly, upset with what the Cullens have made them.

5. What do you think went through the pack’s minds when Jacob left and then Seth disappeared from their minds as well?

They were probably confused at what happened, and trying to figure out where they went.
Peace.Love.Twilight.
Settled in Forks

Post by Peace.Love.Twilight. »

1) Staying in charge of Seth.
2) In Eclipse where he jumped in front of Leah and got badly injured
3) Also in Eclipse whenever he combined werewolves and vampires to fight off the new vampires
4) Can control his temper very well

I think it was ultimately that Jacob (as the alpha) would prevent them from attacking the Cullens. He doesn't want to do it...but if it is a safety hazard for their tribe and the citizens then he is willing to kill Bella in order to save hundreds (they do not know what the baby will become and that is a HUGE factor because, also, the Cullens have no idea either...Jacob proved that to his pack whenever he "showed" them).

1) Rosalie--Leah (they are the girls that no one really likes because they are misunderstood)
2) Edward--Sam (because they both over-think things and do what they think is best for the people they love...Edward with Bella and Sam with his pack).
3) Seth--Bella (they are both genuinely accepting people...Bella accepted what Edward was and Seth accepted that Edward was a vampire and that they could be friends no matter what he is)
4) Jasper--Paul (both very aggressive people...their emotions can get them in trouble...Paul gets mad at pretty much anything and Jasper can lose his cool on a snap...like in New Moon when Bella cut her finger...the other Cullens resisted..it was just Jasper and that was because he was new and in a way Paul is like a new "vampire")
5) Sam--Carlisle--Jacob (whether they want it or not they possess leader qualities)
6) Esme--Bella (both have a maternal bond with the people they love)

Because Seth is the only wolf that has a tolerance for vampires (at least the Cullens). His friends did not join them because they were bound to stay...when Jacob left the pack...Seth WANTED to go and fight with the Cullens as well and so he was able to leave. Plus, the others were excited to fight the Cullens to the death.

Pretty much the same thing that Jacob and Seth were talking about...and I imagine that they figured out that seperate packs could not "hear" each other...Also probably panic and frustration because they needed to talk to them but couldn't.
Latima
Settled in Forks

Post by Latima »

He cares about Seth and Leah when they join his pack. He knows Seth for one is very young and he does not want him to get hurt. When Sam sends out some of his pack to talk to Jacob he immediately thinks of Seth and Leah's safety because he is not there to talk to the boys difrectly. He also goes out to eat and hang out with Leah because he knows protecting Bella and the Cullens is not something that she enjoys. He not only wants to protect them from physical harm he also thinkgs about their emotional well being anddoes all he can as a leader to make sure they are safe and protected in everyway possible. He makes the decisions very easily when it comes to protecting the Cullens and he is not overbearing on his pack, etc. I definately think Jacob was meant to lead, its too bad he didnt decide to take his place as the Alpha back in New Moon.

I think it is a little bit of both. Jacob did not care for anyone but Carlise and Bella. Sam knows that his love for Bella would make Jacob hesitate on an attack because if Jacob were to hurt someone in her immortal family she would never forgive Jacob and he values and wants to salvage whatever kind of relationship he can with Bella. Sam has also been the Alpha since he first phased well before any of the others joined the pack. Now for him to just relinquish that authority to a neo is a bit of a huge demotion considering how long Sam has been in charge.

Leah and Rosalie are parallel in the sense that they both want their normal human lives back so they can live as normal women. Rose wants the housewife role more than she wants her next breath of air and she can never have that because she is a vampire. Leah may not want to be a housewife but she wants to be loved and that life has been taken away from her because she is a werewolf. It has made them both bitter resentful monsters.

Jacob and Edward are parallel in the sense that neither believe they are worthy people because of what they are. They both dont believe they deserve anything good because they are monsters when in fact they are the two most noble characters in the saga. They both will do all they can to protect Bella. I personally believe that other than they both love Bella they hate each other so much because they are so alike. in my eye the only major difference between the two is maturity and I only believe this difference exists because Jacob is only a teenager where as Edward is almost 100. Edward has been depressed longer than Jacob.

Carlisle and Billy are alike because they are the true Alpha's of both the Olympic Coven and the La Push pack. Neither family would function as well as they do without their backbone. They keep the essence of the peace amongst both the pack and the coven.

Seth actually likes the Cullens and he did not want to start a war on his friends so it did not surprise me that he left Sam's pack. Quil could not leave because of Clare and I think Embry was to afraid to choose sides so since he was already with Sam just to not cause problems he stayed there although they both left and joined Jacob after the fight. Its not like Jacob left because he wanted a war with Sams pack. He just had to protect Bella and Renesmee.

I think they knew they had to rethink the war they wanted to rush into. Sam knows that Jacob is the strongest of the pack and with him gone he could not surprise the Cullens and he would lose some of his brothers to a war that may not be necessary. I think he felt betrayed by Seth because he had no real reason to choose the enemy over his brothers.
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1. Jacob says he doesn’t want to be pack leader and that Sam was better at it; however, there were several instances of Jacob proving he’d be a great leader. What were these examples? The reaction Sam had when Jacob spoke as the Alpha for one. Not forcing people to do something they don't want to do. I don;t think there is any denying Jake was born to be the Alpha. I still don;t think he would be a good leader because he doesn't want to be. And still even at this point he has been known to jump the gun. What if Sam had listened to him in the beginning and attacked the Cullen's. He doesn't take time to stop and think before he reacts at this point. He is starting to get better tho in following chapters.

2. Do you think Sam was worried about Jacob being the Alpha because Jacob would prevent them from attacking the Cullens, or because Sam wasn’t ready to give up his role as pack leader? Sam likes being the leader now. Besides I'm sure he thinks of Jacob as to young he may have even offered the alpha to him in the first place because of pressure from the counsel.

3. On both sides – the Cullens and the La Push pack – we see parallel characters. Who do you think parallels with whom and how? What??? I'm gonna try, let's hope I get this right... Emmett to Paul, Carlisle to Seth also Alice to Seth, Jared to Jasper, Rosaline to Leah, Edward to Jacob, as for Esme, Embry and Quil??? Is that what you meant?? Whose personality match up??

4. Why is Seth the only wolf to follow Jacob? Why didn't his best friends join him? Seth doesn't think the Cullen's are bad. I just thought Embry and Quil didn't agree with Jacob in that they shouldn't attack.

5. What do you think went through the pack’s minds when Jacob left and then Seth disappeared from their minds as well? Freaked out and scared maybe even that the Cullen's had killed them since they think the Cullen's are evil monsters??? Who knows I'm really surprised they didn't follow them. I guess Jacob's resistance made Same rethink his choice.
sazykid

Post by sazykid »

As a leader it is important to respect what other people think and listen to other options. Jake is able to listen to other people and take into account how they feel and what they think. Sam listens but only does what he think is right and he will force the others to do that.

Sam knew he would have most of the pack on his side so if they wanted to attack the Cullens they could have, and they would have had a pretty good chance of succeeding. However, I think it was mostly because he didn't really want to give up his position as pack leader. He had gotten used to the idea of being the Alpha and he didn't want to give that up.

lol I feel like this should be a quesion on an essay test. Leah totally parallels Rosalie- they both want something in their lives that they can't have. Jacob to Edward- both are mythical creatures who are in love with a human. I guess Sam to Carlisle- only because they are both sort of the leader of their group. Emmett to Paul- only because they are both all about brute force, they would use brawn over brains any day. Alice to Seth- they are both open minded to things and neither of them "hate" anyone. Jasper to Jared I guess- they will fight if necessary but they can cool off long enough to discuss things. Esme to Quil- they both want what is best for the people closest to them and they would support them no matter what.

Seth is young and new to being a wolf so he is going to do whatever he thinks is right. Seth knows Jacob is right to protect the Cullens so he is going with him. Jacob's friends want to support Jacob but they don't want to go against their leader. They also know what could happen if things go wrong and Sam is right.

I'm sure they were panicking while they waited to see what would happen. They were probably pretty upset when Seth left too. I'd be willing to guess that there was some confusion as to what they were supposed to do. Were they supposed to follow Jake or Sam? Should they be mad at Seth and forget him or should they worry and go after him?
saphhie
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by saphhie »

Hunting with Leah and listening to her problems. Acutally openly caring and listening to someone while trying to be obbjective. even just breaking iff because he knew what the right thing to do was and even though it hurt he had to try.

I thnik sam was mor worried because they were all like brothers. They had seen inside each others minds with no secrets so it was hard to have sojmone walk away from them so it hurt a little. Sam stil had followers so he he did not actually lose his sense of having a pack. He did not want to attack his brothers so he o=woul not attack the cullens

Leah and Rose as they both are antagonistic towards jake and they ar geneitc dead ends.
Alice and edward because they both love bella and hate the choice she made

Seth is definetly the smartest and most mature of all of the wolves. He knew theright thnin to do but couldnt because he was forced by an alpha order. as soon as he had a choice he chose to protect who really needed protecting.
The others did not understand the cullens as well as he does so they dont think it is really that wrong to attack especiallywhen their families might be in danger.

The packs had a lot to sift through at first so they obviously didnt notice. when they oculdnt they probably thought they phased back. When thye realized they cant hear what the others are thinking they probably were hurt that they ere no longer really pack brothers just old friends.
  • not a team just your average CULLEN FAN!!!
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

he could gaurd and issue orders well....if you call yelling at leah giving orders... :lol: and then there was doing what's best for the pack and communicating with the cullens well. the howling thing was a smart idea/signal.

a mix of both. i think sam was scared of jacob as a leader but not as a ...friend isnt the right word but...you get the picture.

rose, becuase she's helping bella. i mean if someone told you "rose will help bella in BD" before you read it, would you have believed it? i wouldnt! and then there was leah. we've always seen her rough and tough side but in this book she really opened up to her feelings. im one of the few people who doesn't hate her!

i think they're scared of what sam would do. jacob just went to protect bella. and seth is such a sweet kid. he has a good sense of right and wrong and that sense was telling him to follow Jacob.

"oh, they'll get over it. they just need to run it off or something." *shrugs* best i could come up with.
Betting on Alice.
Hyvanna

Post by Hyvanna »

First to addmitt Sam was better..."was key word" Sam helped them all after they first Phased. 2nd to turn down the offer to be Alpha just because it was his birthright showed Jacob wanted to lison and learn what bein a part of wolf pack was about good leadership starts with humble begings :D OK Jacob could phase on the fly even Sam cant hehe ;)

Sam did offer, At the sametime Jacob was all ready to attack then he changed his mind Sam i think thought Jacob was makeing rash choses lettin hormons control him.

humm wow...
Esme -n- Emily (mother hens) Emmet -n- Paul (bitting at the bit to fight) Carlile -n- Billy (Smart leaders, excuses givers)
Rose -n- Leah (headstrong females) Alice -n- Seth (Sweethearts, serouse when need be) Jasper -n- Sam (teachers) Edward -n- none of them, or parts of all same with Bella -n- Jacob.

Seth formed a bond with Edward after fightin the newborn foundout he can look past "What" they are an see "Who" they are. Paul, Embry an Quill only sees them for "What" an not "Who" they also have the girls the imprinted to think about to what joining Jacob would mean maybe not seein Clair or( oh no i forgot Jacob's sister's name *glup!* :oops: sorry)

:lol: :lol: :oops: "Jacob , Seth can you hear me? Can you hear me now?" :oops: :lol: :lol:
rainbowcrayon
Wandering Through Town

Chapter 11: ...I-Never-Want-To-Do list

Post by rainbowcrayon »

Jacob holds much more standing with the other wolves than Sam does, with the exception of Paul. He understands what to do in situations and keeps his head, even when something personal is involved. He knows how to keep his dual lives and in a way personalities separate and yet combined in a sense. Sam, although the initial leader and most knowledgable, is not as powerful, strong, or as authoritative as Jacob once Jake embraces his birthright. Although Jacob doesn't want the burden of leadership, he is much better at handling the difference between authority and follower than Sam.

A bit of both. Sam is truly worried about (at that time) the supposed monster that could possibly hurt their community, but at the same time Sam does not handle power as well as Jacob, perhaps for the reason that he accepts it easily and Jacob remains more of the reluctant leader/hero. Sam does not want to be subjugated by one who had followed him and supposedly gave up his position, it would cause him to lose face. Also he has grown used to power, and does not want to give it up.

Emmet and Paul are both desperate to fight and incredibly eager, do not often stop to think. Alice and Seth are the small ones who everyone else tries to protect, who really don't need it as much as everyone thinks they do. Rosalie and Leah are both headstrong and incredibly opinionated, yet Leah expresses her understanding of Rosalie and her relationship with Bella over the baby, and says she would do the same, and ask the same. Bella and Jacob are also paralleled as best friends who are both stubborn, and repeately placed in situations where they have to say goodbye over and over again.

Seth is one of the only wolves without strong ties to remain home, such as the object of an imprint, with the exception of his mother and Leah. He understands that it will not immediately come to a fight, and his family is not in danger so he joins Jacob. Further, Seth actually likes the Cullens, particularly Edward and does not want to fight against them, so in a way it goes againt his morals. Quil and Embry don't follow Jacob because Quil has Claire to look after, and if he follows Jacob who knows what will happen or if he will ever get to see her again. Embry's mother is single and he looks after her as much as she after him, and he doesn't want to leave her alone, as she doesn't know about the wolves. He has to return as well...

It significantly cut down the numbers of the pack, and made Quil and Embry definitely unwilling to fight, as their best friend had turned away, and Leah, who would refuse to fight her little brother. I think they were all worried and a bit scared at the power showdown in the woods and wondering what the outcome would be, and what would happen in the morning.
If you're not really here, I don't want to be either. I want to be next to you.
black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold.