Chapter 13: Good thing I've got a strong stomach

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Chapter 13: Good thing I've got a strong stomach

Post by RebeccaCullen »

1. Do you feel that Rosalie is only motivated by the baby or does she have concern for Bella and her feelings? How do you interpret her actions in this chapter?

A larger part of it, I do think has to do with the child in question. Both care for it, and want 'him' to live. There was a reason that Bella had gone to Rose. Both of their maternal sides took over the minute Bella got pregnant, and Rose is just doing what Bella, I assumed, asked of her.

2. The relationship between Jacob and Edward is slowly changing. In what instances do you see those changes taking place?
[*] Bella. Both of them want her to live.
[*] Rose and Bella's companionship, and how Rose is going about getting what she wants.
[*] Bella's senses when she is changed. The exchange between the two on page 250/251 is kinda funny on my book.

3. As we are without Bella’s perspective in this chapter, what do you think is going through her mind as she watches Jacob’s interactions with the Cullens and vice versa?

Probably surprised. For the longest time, he hated them for what he had become, and how they had gotten her.

4. What do you think was Sam’s reasoning for sending Jared with Collin, Quil and Paul and emissaries to Jacob? Do you feel that Sam sent the right collalition?

Make a truce for the time being. There was really no need to fight when nothing had been done to break the treaty. Even if any on them had bitten and changed Bella at that point, there had been nothing said about finding a partner for Edward if the one in question knew what they were getting into.

I think Sam was too little too late to try and get Jacob on his side once he left. Jake had chosen where his loyalty lay, and that wasn't about to change the minute that Sam had talked to the elders and had chosen a different course of action.

5. Do you feel that Jared was convincing in his arguments? Did he make the right arguments to Leah, Seth and Jacob? When Jared was using Sam’s words, what did those words reveal about Sam?

Nope. None of them sounded plausible. Sue being all alone, that was why she and Charlie were spending time together,and she was around the pack. They just went below the belt. And for Sam - he was more concerned about what he thought was right, and not what the others needed. Leah needed a way out, to rid herself of what she felt for him, and Jake gave her that. You win some, you loose some, and with Jake's pack there was nothing to be done.

6. We have had a moment to see Jacob’s leadership qualities and style compared to Sam’s? How do they differ?
Both want to protect the innocent, but go about it differently. Sam just wants the vampire's out because of mistakes, where
Jake wants to protect no matter the race. Jake lets his members choose what they want, unless he needs to have things done, Sam tells them what to do.
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

1. Do you feel that Rosalie is only motivated by the baby or does she have concern for Bella and her feelings? How do you interpret her actions in this chapter?

I think the majority of her motivation is the baby. However, I do think the other part of it is support of Bella's decision; one she herself never had a chance to make. She's being protective of Bella & aggressive towards anyone who isn't supporting Bella's decision.

2. The relationship between Jacob and Edward is slowly changing. In what instances do you see those changes taking place?

I can't remember any specific incidents from this particular chapter, but I do know that they exchange looks of camaraderie often, especially when Jake has a thought Edward's had himself or agrees with.

3. As we are without Bella’s perspective in this chapter, what do you think is going through her mind as she watches Jacob’s interactions with the Cullens and vice versa?

She is relieved & confused. She's glad her best friend and family are, for the most part, starting to get along. She's probably tired of Rose & Jake antagonizing each other.

4. What do you think was Sam’s reasoning for sending Jared with Collin, Quil and Paul as emissaries to Jacob? Do you feel that Sam sent the right coalition?

Well, as we learn later, he couldn't send Embry because Embry doesn't have the same ties to La Push that Quil does (since he hasn't imprinted). Sam chose the best representatives he had available to him. Jared was probably able to speak the most calmly of the group

5.. Do you feel that Jared was convincing in his arguments? Did he make the right arguments to Leah, Seth and Jacob? When Jared was using Sam’s words, what did those words reveal about Sam?

That Sam is hurt & confused about Leah leaving the pack. He's desparate to figure out how to get the pack back together. To some extent, he wants to make himself look better; like he didn't fail as a leader.

6. We have had a moment to see Jacob’s leadership qualities and style compared to Sam’s? How do they differ?

They both know when to play the Alpha card, but Jacob certainly leads more by example than by command like Sam does. Jacob seems to take the opinions & ideas of others into account when making his decisions. I don't recall Sam ever doing that. There seems to be more of a democratic aspect to Jacob's style of leadership.

Image Image Image
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

i think her goal is to get the baby out alive. bella is nothing to her. never has been. nothing but a tool.

they seem more comfortable around each other, cooperate together....its all very subtle. slow but sure.

shes glad its working out and is daydreaming that one day edward and jacob will accept each other. along with the cullens and she'll live happily ever after....lucky...

4. What do you think was Sam’s reasoning for sending Jared with Collin, Quil and Paul and emissaries to Jacob? Do you feel that Sam sent the right collalition?
yep. jacob seemed really close with those people and he would probably listen to him best. if sam himself had come, there would've been totally different.

5. Do you feel that Jared was convincing in his arguments? Did he make the right arguments to Leah, Seth and Jacob? When Jared was using Sam’s words, what did those words reveal about Sam?
a lot!! im not sure anyone was buying it though. poor jared.

a lot! (again) i think anyone im jacobs pack would be a bit more loyal!
Betting on Alice.
AliceluvsJasper2eva
Wandering Through Town

Post by AliceluvsJasper2eva »

Um....I think that rosalie is only motivated by the baby because whenever they talk about the "baby" rosalie gets all emotional and happy. But i think that rosalie is concerned about bella's safety and if she will survive this terrifying situation. Her actions are supporting at one minute but then will the baby survive another minute. Mostly when i was reading i felt how rosalie was describing her actions but then sometimes i wanted to strangler her because she was only worried about the baby and not bella.

I see Edward's and jacob's relationship slowly changing while bella is pregnant. They both care about her and want her to survive. So they are cooperating with each other for bella sake because she can't stand stress. These changes are slow and subtle but they are being able to stand each other.

I think as she watches jacob and the cullen interact with each other and helping them when the pack decided to attack, she is thinking "Don't do or say anything stupid jake". But she wants him around and to like the cullens and to not call them "bloodsuckers" but by there real names. But she is happy that 3 werewolves are starting to like the cullens and accept who they are, not as vampires but as people who they are made to protect. And i know personally that bella wishes jacob and the cullens relationship would be like seth's and the cullens releationship.

Sam sent the right representatives with him that was avalible. And well quil and paul couldn't leave La Push to be with Jacob, because they had imprinted and had there soul mates at home. But Jared was the coolest with Jacob and could talk to him with calm emotions.

Um....A little bit i felt that Jared was convincing in his argument to get Jacob, Leah, and seth to come home, but not enough to make them want to come home. Yeah he did make the right points to each Leah, Seth, and Jacob but he wants them back because they are there strongest fighters and just kids, but Sam doesn't want them home for there safety. As you can see when you was reading he was going to make Seth and Collin fight against the cullens, who have had many years in fighting. Jared used some words probably that sam told him to say, so that revealed that he cared and wanted them home. But not enought to have them come home just to be told what to do again.

Well as we all know they both know how to play the alphacard. But Jacob is different from Sam, he listens to the idea and options and what Leah and Seth have to say to. Sam doesn't do anything that Jacob lets Leah and her brother do, he is always playing the alphacard it is always about what he wants to do and he never listens to the options and abilitys of what the others have to say. Jacob is a better leader and i think that he should be the alpha
Emmett and Edward are the hottest vampires alive!!!!
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

I'm sure she must have some concern for bella, but mostly her main priority is the baby.

2.The relationship between Jacob and Edward is slowly changing. In what instances do you see those changes taking place?
They're working together for the same cause--Bella's life. So they're not really becoming friends, but more like teammates, so to speak.

She's probably glad they're interacting civily with each other, but maybe on edge and worried for something to happen between them. Maybe since she knows she may not survive this pregnancy/birth she's glad to have alot of the people she loves all together and near to her.

I don't know, Sam could have sent anyone and it wouldnt really have made much of a difference to me. But I think they were right when they said why he didnt send Embry.

Eh, I didnt think he was convincing. It sounded more like he was desparate.When he said Sam's words, i thought it sounded like more desparateness.

6.We have had a moment to see Jacob’s leadership qualities and style compared to Sam’s? How do they differ?
Jake is more laidback but more impulsive. He gives more freedom to his 'pack'. He isn't really too organized.But when he gives an order Seth and Leah follow them. Jake also seems to have better relationships with his pack members than Sam does with his. Jake is less confident than Sam as well.
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

She has concern for Bella right now while she's carrying the baby, but I'm pretty sure as soon as the baby is out, she's done with Bella

Edward laughing at Jake's thoughts, Jacob starting to be more angry with Bella instead of Edward. Jake realizes that Edward does care for him and would do a lot of things for him.

She's probably ecstatic. Probabl not with his relationship with Rosalie, but I don't think it bothers her, 'Jake being Jake'. All she ever wanted was for Jake and Edward to get along, and here they are.

Eh,.. yeah. Probably right about Embry changing sides. I thought he sent too many with Jared, but probably wanted to be safer than sorry incase the vampires attacked with Jacob.

Sam kind of took a little bit of a step down for me in this chapter. He was fighting dirty. Did he really try conning Leah back by using her old nickname? And bringing up how their dad just died,.. I felt it was wrong and below the belt to use those. I understand they were trying everything possible to get them back to La Push, but it was low,.. even for what is going on.

Jake is not controlling or as demanding as Sam. Sam definitely lives up to the pack leader by the way he acts, but he stepped up and took that spot and acts as most people would. Jacob just has a more natural leadership quality that I see where he is just able to do it on his own, where Sam needs to work a lot harder for it.
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

I think it's mostly for the baby, maybe a little bit for Bella. She wants a healthy baby and an okay Bella

Edward laughing at Jakes thoughts, Jake being more angry at Bella not Edward.

I think she's happy...Jake is her family and the Cullens are her family and she wants them to get along.

Jared, Collin, and Paul have really no attachment to Jake, but Quil is his best friend but can't leave cause of Claire. Yes i do

No not really, nope, that he kinda does care i guess..

Jake is more compashinate (SP?) he sees the others individual needs not just the pacts.
**Kathryn**
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I think she's concerned for Bella, too.

Can't remember any specifics, but I do remember them getting closer.

She's probably glad to see everyone getting along.

I don't really know if he sent the right people, but I think Sam's reasoning was because he wanted Jacob, Seth, and Leah back in his pack, because he thought they were doing the wrong thing.

Sam was being pretty manipulitive. Using Leah's old nickname was definitely too much.

Jacob seems a lot more compassionate than Sam does.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I don't think she is thinking very much of Bella at all. I think she is glad that Bella feels this way about the baby, and that's about it. Every other thought she is having is for the baby, and Bella is just collateral damage.

The fact that Jacob is picking on Rosalie. I think Edward would like this, especially since he can't really get away with such an immature action, but Jake can. They have the same viewpoint (at this stage) on the baby and what it's doing to Bella, and that they need to protect her. They are thinking in the same direction a lot.

I think that she sees that he is getting along better with Edward, particularly, although he's clearly still aggressive in some things. But I think she has hope that he might finally see their worth.

I think that Seth is right in that he kept Embry away because he was afraid he was going to "jump ship". It was probably the best he could do under the circumstances.

I thought that he took the best angle he could take considering the problems. However, trying to harp on Seth's love of his mother was going a bit below the belt, and asking Leah to come back because of Sam was just pathetic. It says a lot about Sam if he truly instructed Jared to do that. It was very insensitive. I would have bitten him.

Jacob defends his pack, and checks that he's doing okay. He doesn't assume at this point that he's doing a good job. This is the first instance of doubt about his performance that Jake has ever expressed. I'd like to see more of that.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

I think both. In the first place, she's concerned about the baby, but since both Bella and Rose are protecting the baby, they have grown more towards each other, so I think Rose cares about Bella too. Especially since Bella made the choice Rose would've made, it made Rose look at Bella in another way.

They know that they both want the same thing: Bella to survive, so they get along because of that.

I think she would just be happy that everyone is getting along and that she can see all her 'family' (apart from humans).

I didn't think about it.

It seemed desperate. Sam knew they would't come back, so he tried everything he could. His words made him look like he wanted to use Leah's feelings for him to get her back.

Jacob is not a 'leader', more a 'guide'. He's not telling them what to do, he wouldn't use his Alpha rights.