Chapter 12: Some people... the concept of Unwelcome

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 12: Some people... the concept of Unwelcome

Post by Alphie »

Again, lots of thanks to Goodnight Elizabeth!

1. Chapter 12 is titled “Some People Just Don’t Grasp the Concept of “Unwelcome;’” who exactly does Jacob mean? Is he just meaning Leah?

2. Leah left the LaPush pack to evade Sam, her emotions for him, and to get him out of her head. Joining the pack to which Seth belonged aside, what other emotions might Leah have been feeling?

3. Jake postulates that Rosalie might be after Bella and Edward's baby on p. 240. What might Rosalie be thinking for the care of the infant after its birth? Is she interested in being its mother? Does she ultimately wish Bella would die?

4. Maternal instinct is a very powerful emotion. What do you think Esme might have been feeling as Bella's condition deteriorated? Do you think she was concerned about Bella or the baby? What about Alice?

5. Rosalie’s newfound attachment to Bella provides for interesting interactions between Rosalie, Edward, and Jacob. What type of alliances may be forming in light of Rosalie’s attitude?

6. Why didn’t anyone, besides Bella or Rosalie, ever ponder that perhaps the fetus could just be a baby? Why did everyone else accept it as fact that the baby was evil?

7. Esme has always been concerned about Edward finding his 'other half'. What thoughts might be running through her mind at the prospect of the Cullen family losing Bella?
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Re: Chapter 12: Some people... the concept of Unwelcome

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Chapter 12 is titled “Some People Just Don’t Grasp the Concept of “Unwelcome;’” who exactly does Jacob mean? Is he just meaning Leah? I thought he just mean Leah. (does Seth join here too? I can't remember exactly........)

2. Leah left the LaPush pack to evade Sam, her emotions for him, and to get him out of her head. Joining the pack to which Seth belonged aside, what other emotions might Leah have been feeling? I don't know. Never really thought too much about it. I figured she was happy to be away from "Sam's" pack.

3. Jake postulates that Rosalie might be after Bella and Edward's baby on p. 240. What might Rosalie be thinking for the care of the infant after its birth? Is she interested in being its mother? Does she ultimately wish Bella would die? I don't think she wants Bella to die. I think she's come to accept her as a part of the family & a sister. But if something were to happen to Bella she'd be the first in line to take care of the baby.

4. Maternal instinct is a very powerful emotion. What do you think Esme might have been feeling as Bella's condition deteriorated? Do you think she was concerned about Bella or the baby? What about Alice? I bet they were both first & foremost concerned about Bella. They all (except Bella & Rosalie) view they baby as evil, a monster that they don't understand. I think Esme would be more worried about Bella because her son Edward finally has happiness & someone he loves. And both her and Alice love Bella.

5. Rosalie’s newfound attachment to Bella provides for interesting interactions between Rosalie, Edward, and Jacob. What type of alliances may be forming in light of Rosalie’s attitude? Edward and Jacob seem to be on the same page here. They both want Bella to get rid of the baby & are mad at Rosalie for her attitude and egging Bella on in keeping the baby.

6. Why didn’t anyone, besides Bella or Rosalie, ever ponder that perhaps the fetus could just be a baby? Why did everyone else accept it as fact that the baby was evil? I think becuase it's something new and different. They had never come across this before & didnt know what's going to happen & if Bella will survive.

7. Esme has always been concerned about Edward finding his 'other half'. What thoughts might be running through her mind at the prospect of the Cullen family losing Bella? I think she's absolutely terrified that Bella could die. One because she loves Bella and she's a part of the family & is like a daughter to her and Carlisle. And then of course terrified of what would happen to Edward if he were to loose his wife. She'd already seen how drastic he'd be from NM.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

1. Chapter 12 is titled “Some People Just Don’t Grasp the Concept of “Unwelcome;’” who exactly does Jacob mean? Is he just meaning Leah?
I thought it was mostly about Leah, and Seth. Jacob wanted to be on his own, and thought that if they join, it would just make things more complicated, or annoying.

2. Leah left the LaPush pack to evade Sam, her emotions for him, and to get him out of her head. Joining the pack to which Seth belonged aside, what other emotions might Leah have been feeling?
I actually think that she doesn't mind the Cullens - she probably likes them.. but doesn't want to show it? Im not sure. Maybe because shes a female, and wanted children of her own.. she doesn't think it's right to kill the baby, no matter what it turns out to be.

3. Jake postulates that Rosalie might be after Bella and Edward's baby on p. 240. What might Rosalie be thinking for the care of the infant after its birth? Is she interested in being its mother? Does she ultimately wish Bella would die?
Both. To her, Bella is 'throwing away' her life, and she thinks its coming to an end, and that she'll die anyway, so I think she wishes she would hurry up and die? And Rosalies always wanted to be a mother, to have children of her own, and the mothering instinct is kicking in. And the key to having this baby to herself is Bellas death.

4. Maternal instinct is a very powerful emotion. What do you think Esme might have been feeling as Bella's condition deteriorated? Do you think she was concerned about Bella or the baby? What about Alice?
Esme had a child of her own when she was human, so her memories may be still there, and I think she feels what Bella's going through - but she can't do anything about it. I think shes just freaked out because she loves Bella so much. I don't think she was too concerned about the baby, mostly about Bella. Alice.. was probably having a hard time seeing things, because the baby blocked them, therefore blocked Bella.. so she must be freaking out because she doesn't know what would happen. Im sure she would be worring about Bella.. but trying to sort out her visions first. Her visions would've made her decision whether or not to worry about her.. but since she couldn't see.. I'm not sure what she was thinking.

5. Rosalie’s newfound attachment to Bella provides for interesting interactions between Rosalie, Edward, and Jacob. What type of alliances may be forming in light of Rosalie’s attitude?
Edward and Jacob could have conversations with each other.. they were both thinking and feeling the same thing when it came to Rosalie, and the baby. They both didn't want it killing the one they loved, and they both wanted to get rid of it somehow. I don't think it was completely Rosalie's doing, it was more because of the baby. I actually liked Jacob in these parts - when he was 'abusing' Rosalie :lol:

6. Why didn’t anyone, besides Bella or Rosalie, ever ponder that perhaps the fetus could just be a baby? Why did everyone else accept it as fact that the baby was evil?
Because they could see the affect it had on Bella. She was basically dying in front of their eyes, and probably thought "what kind of a baby would do this to their mother?" So it's only natural to think this is some kind of evil being.

7. Esme has always been concerned about Edward finding his 'other half'. What thoughts might be running through her mind at the prospect of the Cullen family losing Bella?
If they lose Bella, then they know they'll lose Edward aswell. Edward would follow Bella shortly after.. and no one could change his mind on that. She knows how much he loves Bella, how much happier he is with her, that he's finally with someone.. and it all just disappears. She would just be beside herself. I don't think she could handle it. The thoughts running through her mind would just be great sadness.. more than sadness. Maybe just a step above Edwards sadness. But they'd all be on the same page.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

I think he means both Leah and Seth. They are messing up his plans to be alone with his thoughts. I guess he's also afraid that they will rely on him too much, and he doesn't want to to lead anybody.

I think she wanted to be with Seth as well. Family meant a lot to her, and she wanted to watch out for her kid brother. But mostly I think she just needed to get away from Sam.

No, I don't think she wants Bella to die. I think she would do anything to save the baby, but I don't think that she ultimately wishes Bella to die. Bella is married to her brother, and Rosalie has seen what it did to him the last time Bella almost died. And she couldn't possibly want that again. I think Rosalie is content with being the worlds best aunt or something like that.

With Esme having lost a child in her human life, she will have a great understanding for Bella. I think she was mostly worried for Bella's life though. But she knew that Bella couldn't be swayed in her decision, probably because Esme herself knew what a mother feels for her baby. Alice was mostly worried for Bella I think, and Edward of course. Alice was also struggeling hard with the baby giving her headache, and it probably scared her that she couldn't see properly what the baby was and their future.

It definitely put Jacob and Edward on the same side. Both of them were upset with Rosalie, and they wanted to get her out of the way so they could protect Bella from the child. So funny when Jacob asked Edward if Rosalie had heard the blond joke, and Edward could just pick the answer out of her head.

It was pretty obvious that it wasn't a normal baby..It was growing so fast, and breaking Bella's ribs. I don't think they saw that baby as evil necessarily, but just unknown. They had no idea what it was. And as for Edward, the baby was killing his one reason for living. He was broken by it.

I think she was so scared. She loved Bella like a daughter. But most of all, Bella had come around and completely changed Edward's existence. He was happy and glowing on their wedding day. He had finally found the one person that he was meant to be with. And Esme knew that if Bella died, Edward would find a way to die too. So it must have been a double grief for her.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Elisabeth33
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Elisabeth33 »

I think he also means Seth, but it could also mean himself because he's unwelcome at the Cullens place.

No idea.

No, I think she wants to live vicariously through Bella on this one and being a mother.

I think they were both more and more worried about Bella. I don't really know that anybody but Bella, Rose and Carlisle were worried about the baby.

For the matter of Bella's baby, she thinks Edward and Jake are on the same side.

Because she was growing so fast. There were no well known stories of half vampire children and the unknown was scary for them.

That they would lose Edward, too and maybe even the baby.
cassis_rose
Changing People's Minds With Jasper

Post by cassis_rose »

I am thinking Jacob is referring to Leah and Seth. He left the pack to be alone after all.

She said that anywhere is fine as long as she can get away from Sam in BD, so she must felt that she's free in a way. She can look out for her brother, and feel more relaxed too as she's in a smaller pack.

I don't think Rosalie will truly wished Bella dead. I think she had come to accept Bella as part of the family by BD. As for Renesmee, Rosalie will want to care and love her, like a mother. But, deep down, I think she knew that she can't replace Bella as Renesmee's biological mother.

Esme will like Renesmee to be borned, but not at the expense of Bella's life. To her, I think Edward and Bella's lives are more precious. She will surely be concerned about both the mother and child.
Alice can't see Renesmee's future and Bella's appeared to be fuzzy. However, she, too, will care about Bella and Renesmee.

We read in BD that Edward and Jacob were allies here. They both wanted to protect Bella and at that time, get rid of the baby.

First of all, children like Renesmee are not common, and even Carlisle did not know much about them. So, that means they are in the "unknown" zone. Besides, Bella's health was deteriorating every day, and everyone just assumed the baby must be evil as it was costing her mother's life.

She would be very worried about losing Bella and in turn, Edward. Edward will follow as soon as Bella dies. So, she will be losing 2 of her children if things took a turn for the worst.
Team Carlisle ~ Cullenist - Hail to Carlisle
inhiding
Settled in Forks

Post by inhiding »

1. Chapter 12 is titled “Some People Just Don’t Grasp the Concept of “Unwelcome;’” who exactly does Jacob mean? Is he just meaning Leah? I guess at first I thought he was talking about Leah, and probably Seth. Hmmm... he could be reflecting on Rosalie not welcome in Bella's circle. He could think of himself as unwelcome even as he barges in without knocking.

2. Leah left the LaPush pack to evade Sam, her emotions for him, and to get him out of her head. Joining the pack to which Seth belonged aside, what other emotions might Leah have been feeling? I thought that, of all of his "friends" or at least pack, Leah was the only one who could understand Jacon's heartbreak over Bella. She knows what it's like to not only love someone who's not available, but have to CONSTANTLY be around that person and constantly WATCH them be with the one they love. I think she understands the agony and therefore, has an instinctual bond with Jacob in that way. I think that the scene where she approaches him on the cliff, asking him to stop thinking about Bella because she has to dream about her too, I think deep down, if she could have swallowed her bitterness in that moment, part of her wanted to reach out and tell him that she understood. I think part of her cared for Jacob and that might have had a small part of why she joined his pack as well. I think she was in a world of hurt and confusion-- why was she the only female wolf? Why, with blood lines as strong as hers turned out to be, didn't Sam imprint on her? I think she felt unwanted and unwelcome in the original pack, everyone having to deal with her being female on top of her bitterness, resentment, pain. She knew they didn't want her there. She knew the pack's feelings for her ranged from annoyance to pity. I think escaping to Jacob's pack was a way for her to finally get some peace, search her own heart for answers.

3. Jake postulates that Rosalie might be after Bella and Edward's baby on p. 240. What might Rosalie be thinking for the care of the infant after its birth? Is she interested in being its mother? Does she ultimately wish Bella would die? So often, we see from Jacob's thoughts and Edward's subtle facial expressions and nods- again through Jacob's eyes- that this probably is Rosalie's line of thinking. But I truly think that Rosalie never wished for Bella to die so she could have the baby. Surely she wouldn't have wished that on Edward, not after what happened between Rosalie and Edward in New Moon. She knows that if Bella dies Edward will follow- after all, Rosalie sent him on his suicide mission. No, I don't think Rosalie would ever wish Bella dead. I DO think that she HOPED for a very strong, special bond between her and the child. A GodMother relationship, if you will. Even after the baby is born, she dotes on Renessme but we never ever see a jealous streak between her and Bella, or between her and any of the other females. (There is one jealousy streak but that's a whole different story line.) In fact, when called to action later, she doesn't protest to stay with the baby, but heads out on her mission. I think this tells us that she loves the baby but is not, in fact, as psycho as Jacob and Edward see her in these chapters.

4. Maternal instinct is a very powerful emotion. What do you think Esme might have been feeling as Bella's condition deteriorated? Do you think she was concerned about Bella or the baby? What about Alice? I think that Alice knew it was going to turn out okay, and Esme must have trusted that. Esme, after all, spends much of this time doing the nesting for her daughter in law- preparing the little cottage. We don't see Esme hovering, and although we know why Alice isn't hovering-- the 'headaches'-- we don't really have a good explanation for why Esme isn't hovering worriedly. Of all the vampires, we know her to be the most maternal and nurturing, so the fact that she's not the one nurturing and hovering over Bella should be telling us something.

5. Rosalie’s newfound attachment to Bella provides for interesting interactions between Rosalie, Edward, and Jacob. What type of alliances may be forming in light of Rosalie’s attitude? Well, obviously, she gives "the boys" a common enemy. At the same time, you would think Edward could be a little grateful that she can do things like take Bella to the bathroom for him!

6. Why didn’t anyone, besides Bella or Rosalie, ever ponder that perhaps the fetus could just be a baby? Why did everyone else accept it as fact that the baby was evil? THAT is a VERY good question.... Was it because the stories were such a strong part of their collective history that it became a blind faith in that history that the baby would be evil? Was it because the others could see what it was doing to Bella and they were so resentful that they projected other emotives onto the baby? ... the thing is.... they are a houseful of strong, gifted vampires, in a semi-alliance with a growing pack of fierce werewolves. What evil could a BABY do that they wouldn't be able to physically stop or manage or control? They obviously have a lot of fear attached to assuming the baby was evil.

7. Esme has always been concerned about Edward finding his 'other half'. What thoughts might be running through her mind at the prospect of the Cullen family losing Bella?You know, there are a few spots in this story where Esme seems to be missing. In my mind, maybe I need to go reread it, she seems to be in the background, in the kitchen, or upstairs, or out. I don't know if this was intentional by Stephenie or if her role in this story was to be strong but silent, or if it was just an oversight! Maybe Esme's way of dealing with everything was to keep her hands busy by helping-- finding clothes, cooking loads of food, getting the cottage ready. From personal experience, when people around me are going through hard times, I reach out to try to help with all the mundane chores so they can concentrate on what they need to to get better. Cooking their meals, babysitting kids, running errands if they need little things.... perhaps this is how Esme shows her nurturing love, by taking care of the little things. Perhaps she can't bring herself to sit down and think about the loss of life if they lose Bella, the baby, and Edward. Perhaps she can't bring herself to think of how empty her house will be if things go badly. Perhaps she and Alice are clinging to the fact that Bella will be one of them, which means that everything HAS to end well.
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

I think he's talking about both Leah and Seth not being welcome (at first) into his 'pack'. And maybe he was even talking about himself, as he kind of waltzes into the Cullen's home.

Well, she obviously wanted to stay by her brother's side to make sure he stayed out of trouble and was safe, but I think also she wanted to be near Jacob. I mean, Jake is probably the only person she knows who really understands how she feels toward Sam... and vise versa, she knows how he feels about Bella... they understand each other in that light. Maybe that kind of connects them.

Well, at first that's what I thought. I thought she was sure Bella would die giving birth to the baby and then for some ungodly reason she thought Edward would let Rosalie take care of her or something like that. But then I thought back to Eclipse where Rosalie told Bella her story and how she says that she really never hated Bella personally, but just thought she was making a mistake in choosing to give up so much, and was just bitter towards her, and I changed my mind. I thought she wasn't doing it just for the baby, although that was certainly a factor, but also because Bella asked her to help her, and Bella really is family, and now Bella wasn't giving up all those things... I think that she did want the baby, but she also sort of wanted to help.

Well, I think Alice kind of had faith that it was going to be okay, and Esme probably did too. I think they were worried, of course, but we really don't see Esme hanging around all the often. She must have thought it was going to be okay, or she would have been around more and she certainly wouldn't have finished the Cottage... I think she must have had some kind of inkling that Bella would be okay in the end, or she would have been around, because that's what mothers do when there's something wrong, and Esme is for sure the most maternal of the group.

Well, it certainly gives Edward and Jacob a reason to buddy up... they have something in common in hating Rosalie.

That is a good question. I never really thought about it. Maybe they thought that it was bad because it was so strong... and Edward's thinking that Vampires have no soul probably came into play in his line of thinking... or because it was new, and they'd never seen it before, or they thought it was unnatural and impossible, or maybe because Bella became so attatched to something that was hurting her so much.... there could be a million reasons why they thought it was evil, I guess.

Oh, heavens... I'm about to contradict myself. Above I say that Esme must have had some kind of faith that Bella would survive, but I guess it's a two sided coin. While she thought Bella would probably make it, she must have been so worried about what would happen to her family if she didn't. She must have been scared that Edward would go off the deep end again and try to kill himself or that he would just become so distant that he wasn't even there or that he would run away and never come back. In any event, she would lose him if he lost Bella. Maybe that is the reason why she had so much faith in Bella's survival in the first place... it had to all be okay, because if it wasn't... everything she loved would fall apart.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
Tonya

Post by Tonya »

1. Chapter 12 is titled “Some People Just Don’t Grasp the Concept of “Unwelcome;’” who exactly does Jacob mean? Is he just meaning Leah? I thought he may have been talking about Seth until I read on and saw Leah wad there.

2. Leah left the LaPush pack to evade Sam, her emotions for him, and to get him out of her head. Joining the pack to which Seth belonged aside, what other emotions might Leah have been feeling? I really don't think there was much else to it.

3. Jake postulates that Rosalie might be after Bella and Edward's baby on p. 240. What might Rosalie be thinking for the care of the infant after its birth? Is she interested in being its mother? Does she ultimately wish Bella would die? I really do think that she's hoping Bella dies so that she can keep it to herself. Edward is in her head and he pretty much confirmed it by nodding at Jake's thoughts.

4. Maternal instinct is a very powerful emotion. What do you think Esme might have been feeling as Bella's condition deteriorated? Do you think she was concerned about Bella or the baby? What about Alice? Esme is concerned for Bella at his point. So is Alice. No one knows what this baby is going to come out as. There a little worried about that.

5. Rosalie’s newfound attachment to Bella provides for interesting interactions between Rosalie, Edward, and Jacob. What type of alliances may be forming in light of Rosalie’s attitude? Edward and Jacob are agreeing on a lot more.

6. Why didn’t anyone, besides Bella or Rosalie, ever ponder that perhaps the fetus could just be a baby? Why did everyone else accept it as fact that the baby was evil? I think Edward thinks it's a monster because he STILL thinks of himself as a monster (as if he hasn't proved it time and again that he isn't) I don't know if anyone else thinks it's going to be evil, they just know it is stronger than Bella and is hurting her. If they thought it was an evil Bloodsucker why didn't anyone think of feeding it blood from the beginning. The Wolves were only thinking of the legends of the immortal children. So they just assume this baby will be the same.

7. Esme has always been concerned about Edward finding his 'other half'. What thoughts might be running through her mind at the prospect of the Cullen family losing Bella? She's terrified that Bella will die leaving Edward to go off himself. So she'll end up losing 2 children.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. Chapter 12 is titled “Some People Just Don’t Grasp the Concept of “Unwelcome;’” who exactly does Jacob mean? Is he just meaning Leah? I never thought of anyone but Leah, really. Maybe Seth, too.

2. Leah left the LaPush pack to evade Sam, her emotions for him, and to get him out of her head. Joining the pack to which Seth belonged aside, what other emotions might Leah have been feeling? I think it really was just heartbreak and protection for her brother--I don't think she really ever viewed Jacob as more than a friend.

3. Jake postulates that Rosalie might be after Bella and Edward's baby on p. 240. What might Rosalie be thinking for the care of the infant after its birth? Is she interested in being its mother? Does she ultimately wish Bella would die? I don't think that Rose could ever wish Bella would die. I think she would be happy being the baby's aunt, and if it were to happen that Bella should die, that she would take care of the baby.

4. Maternal instinct is a very powerful emotion. What do you think Esme might have been feeling as Bella's condition deteriorated? Do you think she was concerned about Bella or the baby? What about Alice? Esme I think understood Bella, and was concerned for both. Alice I think was leaning more toward worry over Bella and thought she was being ridiculous, since Alice never really had that maternal drive in her.

5. Rosalie’s newfound attachment to Bella provides for interesting interactions between Rosalie, Edward, and Jacob. What type of alliances may be forming in light of Rosalie’s attitude? Obviously Rose and Bella are getting along better, and I think that Jacob and Edward kinda had an alliance.

6. Why didn’t anyone, besides Bella or Rosalie, ever ponder that perhaps the fetus could just be a baby? Why did everyone else accept it as fact that the baby was evil? I think that Esme, Carlisle, and Seth could perhaps see that this was a baby. Esme for her motherly ways, Carlisle because he believes that vampires aren't necessarily bad, and Seth because he doesn't judge.

7. Esme has always been concerned about Edward finding his 'other half'. What thoughts might be running through her mind at the prospect of the Cullen family losing Bella? I think she is extremely concerned about Edward losing Bella, and realizing how much that would effect everyone.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com