Chapter 35: Deadline

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 35: Deadline

Post by Alphie »

Oleander helped us out with this chapter!

1. Do you think that Edward had figured out what Bella was up to? If so, what clues would leave you to believe that?

2. Bella was faced with a huge task of somehow telling Renesmee that she might have to run away. How would you have handled it? How much would you have told her?

3. What was your impression of how Bella handled telling Renesmee that they might be separated?

4. Edward and Bella choose not to officially say goodbye to each other, and the lack of goodbye in his eyes prompts her to wonder if perhaps he’s accepted that there might be something after death for his vampire soul. Do you think he’s finally found some hope that there might be something after death for him? If not, how would you explain his peace with the situation?
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 35: Deadline

Post by sazykid »

1. Do you think that Edward had figured out what Bella was up to? If so, what clues would leave you to believe that?
No, I don't think he knew exactly what she was up to. I'm sure he knew it had something to do with Alice and he trusted Bella enough to know that she was doing what she could to prepare for what was coming. It was probably killing him to not be able to help her, but I'm sure he also knew that she would confide in him if she could.

2. Bella was faced with a huge task of somehow telling Renesmee that she might have to run away. How would you have handled it? How much would you have told her?
I think under the circumstances Bella did what anyone would have done. Nessie only needed to know enough to get away safely and then Jacob would have to explain to her when it was safe. I wouldn't have wanted to scare her anymore than was necessary so I only would have told her what she needed to know to get away.

3. What was your impression of how Bella handled telling Renesmee that they might be separated?
This was heart wrenching to read. I cannot even imagine telling my child that we might be separated. This was so emotional, and I can only imagine it was difficult to write as well.

4. Edward and Bella choose not to officially say goodbye to each other, and the lack of goodbye in his eyes prompts her to wonder if perhaps he’s accepted that there might be something after death for his vampire soul. Do you think he’s finally found some hope that there might be something after death for him? If not, how would you explain his peace with the situation?
I'm sure that even after Bella was turned he would still have been convinced that he had no soul and they were now both damned to hell. However, since Nessie was born I'm sure he has changed his views on whether or not vampires have a soul. I mean, how could he think vampires have no soul when someone so sweet and innocent could be born a vampire and not have a soul. Typically we think of people as being soulless when they are evil and Nessie is anything but evil. That being said, I like to think that Edward has done two things. First, I think he is still holding on to a little bit of hope that things might be OK in the end. Second, I think he has come to some sort of peace that if things go badly he will be reunited with his family in the afterlife.
Hyvanna

Post by Hyvanna »

I didn't think he know exzackly, but he knew enough, for one Bella is a verry bad lier and actress (we where told over and over though out the whole saga :D ) Alice shows him something he does not share with the others, then when Bella is just about to come clean I took it as part of what he seen in Alice's vision and well he :oops: distrackes her :oops:

That would be hard, with a lot of tears. I would hope I could tell her everything for her safty at the same time makeing sure she knew we loved her and that this was all over a missunderstanding leave out the whole "they are afraid we are trying to take power, so they are using this missunderstanding as an excuse."

Truely motherly tender keeping the being ripped to shreads feelings inside so not to scare her at the same time letting Renesmee know how much she is loved and that it is verry important she do this. (WoW I would hope someone was there to give S.M. a big ol hug after writeing I was in tears reading most of this Book jeez. )

I think maybe both he beliaves and doesn't at the same time, if there is nothing but hell then atleast they will be togather. Peace I think maybe from knowing that Renesmee will be safe, atleast for now and he is going to fight to the death for his family and what is right. The calm before the storm.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Do you think that Edward had figured out what Bella was up to? If so, what clues would leave you to believe that? I think he knew something was going on with Bella but he didn't know exactly what. He could tell something was off, he learned to read her body language and other things since he couldn't read her mind & knew something wasn't right.

2. Bella was faced with a huge task of somehow telling Renesmee that she might have to run away. How would you have handled it? How much would you have told her? I honestly have no idea how I would handle something like that. I think telling her jus enough to know she might need to run away & leave mommy & daddy behind is enough.

3. What was your impression of how Bella handled telling Renesmee that they might be separated? I think she did a pretty good job considering everything.

4. Edward and Bella choose not to officially say goodbye to each other, and the lack of goodbye in his eyes prompts her to wonder if perhaps he’s accepted that there might be something after death for his vampire soul. Do you think he’s finally found some hope that there might be something after death for him? If not, how would you explain his peace with the situation? I think thanks to Bella, their love for each other & wanting to be together (even after death) has given him some hope and thought that there is somthing after death, that even though he's a vampire he might have a soul.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Olderthandirt
Settled in Forks

Post by Olderthandirt »

Nope, Zero, na-da.

2. Bella was faced with a huge task of somehow telling Renesmee that she might have to run away. How would you have handled it? How much would you have told her? 3. What was your impression of how Bella handled telling Renesmee that they might be separated?

i like the way it was written - just enough information for a young mind to accept.

I loved this! Bella and Edward are at peace with themselves and their future, alive or dead. They believe their love is eternal and that they will always be together. Beautiful!
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

No, I don't think so. He knew that something was going on, but I think he was clueless was to what was going on.

I would have told her that she might have to go away with Jacob, and let her parents stay behind, and how she was supposed to handle that. And that no matter what happened she would be taken care of, and that she could always trust Jacob to be there for her if her mom and dad at one point couldn't.

It was heartbreaking to read that part. But I think Bella did exactly what she needed to do. She told Renesmee what she needed to know, and tried to reassure her even though Bella herself was scared.

Well, considering I don't believe myself, it's a question that is hard to answer... But I don't think it meant that Edward had changed his mind necessarily. I think he felt safe knowing that no matter what happened they were in it together. They would either live or die together. And he knew that his daughter had a chance at survival. But I also think that Edward had confidence that they were fighting for something that was worth fighting for, and that gave him some sort of peace.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

No, I do not think that he has a clue as to what Bella is doing. He has said before that usually whatever he thinks she's going to do, she does the exact opposite. I imagine it's hard for him since he is able to know exactly what everyone else is doing.

Eh,.. I don't even want to think about it! haha.. I could never,.. it would be too hard. Since Renesmee was going to be there, I may have tried to warn her a little bit more about what was happening,.. she's not going to be able to hide this from her, might as well of prepared her.

She did good,.. but,.. eh. It's a hard thing to do.

Obviously he does think that there might be more, in New Moon when he thinks he has died, and Bella jumps on him he says how Carlisle was right and it was heaven,.. so he must somewhat believe.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

No, I don't. He never really showed any signs that he figured it out...

I would have handled it pretty much the same way Bella did. It would have been heartbreaking.

I thought she handled it well. It was very sad.

I think he has found hope, since he now has Bella as his own.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

No. I think he knows that she is up to something, and I think he knows that she thinks they're all going to die, but I don't think he knows much beyond that.

Probably no more than Bella did.

I thought she did a very good job.

Yes. I think he is convinced that even death cannot stop them now.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

No clues I can remember right now. But I think he knew she was up to something, but that he didn't know what. And that he didn't want to know.

I think Bella did it perfectly.

Bella did a good job at it.

Maybe he found peace with it because for a short time he has been happy? I don't see him totally changing his mind, but on the other hand, he has changed his mind about other things, so why not this?