Chapter 37: Contrivances

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 37: Contrivances

Post by Alphie »

Oleander and Una have provided these discussion questions for us this time!

1. What are your thoughts in learning the difference in the Pack from other werewolves? This should remind you of the discussion between Edward and Victoria at the end of Eclipse when she looks at Seth in his wolf form and is reminded of the “monster” James tracked across Siberia. What do you think James tracked; a shape-shifter or a werewolf now that we know there is a difference?

2. It is interesting to see how Bella’s talent affects the wolves. If the pack was not in wolf form, would she have to extend her shield to cover all of them or just Sam? What is the significance, do you think of this, in regards to the pack?

3. What do you think of the witnesses? Did the Cullens’ witnesses behave as you suspected? What about the witnesses brought by the Volturi? Do you feel it was wise for the Volturi to bring their own witnesses or do you feel they will regret it?

4. This battle takes place on December 31st. Do you feel that Ms. Meyer picked this date for a reason? It is not only winter, but it is the end of the year, the shadow before the dawn of a new one. What are your thoughts on this?

5. How did you feel during Edward and Bella’s goodbye to Renesmee? Do you think that Jacob and Renesmee stand a chance of escape? Do you think the Cullens stand a chance against the Volturi and any witness that side with them?

6. We know the Cullens strategy in this. Do you feel that they estimated the Volturi’s intentions correctly and their strategy? Does the cover to Breaking Dawn now have more meaning as you read this chapter?
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Re: Chapter 37: Contrivances

Post by pennybug84 »

1. What are your thoughts in learning the difference in the Pack from other werewolves? This should remind you of the discussion between Edward and Victoria at the end of Eclipse when she looks at Seth in his wolf form and is reminded of the “monster” James tracked across Siberia. What do you think James tracked; a shape-shifter or a werewolf now that we know there is a difference? I was surprised to learn that the pack are shapeshifters & not "real" werewolves. I have no idea what James could have tracked, I might need to reread that part of Eclipse.

2. It is interesting to see how Bella’s talent affects the wolves. If the pack was not in wolf form, would she have to extend her shield to cover all of them or just Sam? What is the significance, do you think of this, in regards to the pack? I would assume if they weren't in wolf form that she would have to extend it to all of them, their minds are only linked when they are in wolf form.

3. What do you think of the witnesses? Did the Cullens’ witnesses behave as you suspected? What about the witnesses brought by the Volturi? Do you feel it was wise for the Volturi to bring their own witnesses or do you feel they will regret it? I loved the wintesses the Cullens had & was happy they were willing to help & fight with the Culles. I think the Volturi needed to bring witnesses so that when the story got around there would be others there to witness what happens & what becomes of the Cullens.

4. This battle takes place on December 31st. Do you feel that Ms. Meyer picked this date for a reason? It is not only winter, but it is the end of the year, the shadow before the dawn of a new one. What are your thoughts on this? I honestly never thought of that before. But considering I know SM likes to do that type of thing, it makes sense. After the confrontation it's a "new" beginning for Edward and Bella, they are happy and with their family.

5. How did you feel during Edward and Bella’s goodbye to Renesmee? Do you think that Jacob and Renesmee stand a chance of escape? Do you think the Cullens stand a chance against the Volturi and any witness that side with them? I was feeling kind of sad during the goodbye. I didn't think Renesmee had a chance to get away, I thought for sure if they tried they would be dead. When it comes to the Cullens, I think maybe they could beat the Volturi but that some of the characters I have grown to love could die.

6. We know the Cullens strategy in this. Do you feel that they estimated the Volturi’s intentions correctly and their strategy? Does the cover to Breaking Dawn now have more meaning as you read this chapter? I think they always knew the Volturi would do whatever it took to do the justice they beleive is needed. The cover does have a little more meaning considering it's going to be the strategy that will probably determine the outcome.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by sazykid »

1. What are your thoughts in learning the difference in the Pack from other werewolves? This should remind you of the discussion between Edward and Victoria at the end of Eclipse when she looks at Seth in his wolf form and is reminded of the “monster” James tracked across Siberia. What do you think James tracked; a shape-shifter or a werewolf now that we know there is a difference?
It makes sense that the wolves are shape shifters and not actual werewolves. Anything I've ever heard about werewolves indicates that they require a full moon to become a wolf, hunt humans, and kill or transform those humans by biting them. These wolves don't do any of those things. Seth might have looked like a wolf that James tracked but I'm not really sure what he was after. I don't know why he would have gone after an actual werewolf, and supposedly Caius has had nearly all of them killed off. It isn't unlikely that there could be other shape shifters out there, but since Victoria doesn't know, or I assume she doesn't know, that Seth isn't an actual werewolf I don't think she could possibly know that by looking at him.

2. It is interesting to see how Bella’s talent affects the wolves. If the pack was not in wolf form, would she have to extend her shield to cover all of them or just Sam? What is the significance, do you think of this, in regards to the pack?
The pack's minds are only really connected when they are wolves, so I think if they were in human form Bella would have had to protect them all individually. In order for Bella to protect the whole pack she had to protect Sam or Jacob first. She couldn't protect the whole pack if she had picked Seth or Quil to work through. This sort of show just how connected the packs are to their Alpha's. The alpha seems to be the connection they all share.

3. What do you think of the witnesses? Did the Cullens’ witnesses behave as you suspected? What about the witnesses brought by the Volturi? Do you feel it was wise for the Volturi to bring their own witnesses or do you feel they will regret it?
The witnesses were a good idea on both fronts had things gone the way everyone originally thought. Yes, the Cullen's witnesses behaved as I guessed they would. The ones from Egypt told the story the way they saw it and hightailed it out of the problem, and the rest stuck around to fight for what they thought was right. They all seemed ready to do what they could to help their friends and show the Volturi for what they really were. Originally it was a good idea for the Volturi to bring the witnesses. With people to support that the Volturi did what was right by the laws that were set no one could second guess what they did. However, having the witnesses backfired on them. Instead of the witnesses seeing the law being carried out, they saw them lie and try to create a reason to destroy the Cullen's so they will probably regret their decision to bring so many witnesses.

4. This battle takes place on December 31st. Do you feel that Ms. Meyer picked this date for a reason? It is not only winter, but it is the end of the year, the shadow before the dawn of a new one. What are your thoughts on this?
I suppose it could signify a new beginning for the Cullen's and the vampire world in general. The whole saga takes place in a two year period and it has been a crazy ride for everyone involved. It is fitting that the end of their troubles would come on the last day of their troubled year. The new year is a fresh clean start to a happily every after.

5. How did you feel during Edward and Bella’s goodbye to Renesmee? Do you think that Jacob and Renesmee stand a chance of escape? Do you think the Cullens stand a chance against the Volturi and any witness that side with them?
It was actually breaking my heart to watch Edward and Bella say goodbye to Renesmee. I couldn't imagine having to say goodbye like that to my child. I like to think Jake and Nessie would have made it out because the alternative is hard to think about. To be honest and as much as I hate to admit it, I think it there had to be a physical battle between the Volturi and the Cullens I don't think the Cullens would have fared well but neither would the Volturi. The Cullens just had too many emotions running through them and there would have been mistakes made especially if Bella had been one of the first harmed.

6. We know the Cullens strategy in this. Do you feel that they estimated the Volturi’s intentions correctly and their strategy? Does the cover to Breaking Dawn now have more meaning as you read this chapter?
Yes, I think they estimated the Volturi's intentions correctly. With Edward and Alice around it would have been hard to not know what the Volturi were up to. Yes, the cover does seem to have more meaning now. The smaller chess piece in the background would be Bella before she was changed. She couldn't help and would have needed to be protected. However, the vampire Bella was the protector of her family and friends. She was the main reason the Volturi were afraid, and the reason they would have had a chance to survive. The big white chess piece is the Bella that was able to help her family.
alphanubilus
Learning to Love Green

Post by alphanubilus »

Alphie wrote:Oleander and Una have provided these discussion questions for us this time!

I have to be honest, I found this bit of information as quite a surprise, as it sort of comes out of nowhere. You have to consider the fact that up until this moment the shapeshifters were considered werewolves and none of the vampires, such as Carisle, ever hinted at them being anything but werewolves. If we were made aware of a seperate and distructive version, one at least, so dangerous that the Vulturi wanted them extinct, earlier on, this section would have made more sense. Instead, it sort of comes out of the blue, and seems more of an afterthought than anything else. The acknowledgement of the "Children of the Moon" raises the question as to what exactly is the difference between the races, other than traditional Hollywood werewolf lore. What are the physical differences? Do the Children of the Moon look like giant wolves or are they bipedal? Are they the mindless monsters the vampires speak of, or are they simply misunderstood. What is about them that makes the Vulturi hate them so much. The Vulturi see humans as nothing more than cattle, so would it be competition for food? Who knows...

I think the greater question is what was the purpose of revealing a new seperate version of the werewolf, this late in the game? Only Steph knows for sure unfortunately...

The "good" werewolf isn't a new concept to be honest. For those interested there was an explosion of "hero" werewolf stories created in the 12th century, such as Bisclavret - or the Noble Werewolf, King Aurther and Gorlagon - the Loyal Werewolf, Melion - a righteous warroir werewolf, and my personal fav, Guilluame de Parlne the noble protector werewolf. Despite the "churches" answers to the question of the werewolf, of which was often being blamed for murders or burned to the stake, there were numerous tales of selfless men or women who either became wolves or were turned into wolves, of whom despite their disadvantages, did what they could to protect those they loved, or as one tale states, help give their dying mate a dignified death. (sorry folks, mythology is my forte, and I am a bit of a stickler for details). :D

In truth it is hard to judge this, as we don't know the full extent of Belle's powers. In many ways, she is still a newborne, and thus, how she used her powers in this instance, might totally be different once she totally masters her powers. She has forever to try things out. However, for the instance of the book, I have to agree that as the minds of the wolves are all linked, she simply had to protect the Alphas and the rest would be protected, as has already been stated.

I feel that the Cullens witnesses behaved as expected, for the most part at least. Other than the Romanians, most of the others didn't want a battle, and were hoping just to get things settled as quickly as possible. Personally I would have thought the Romanians would have tried to jinx it, as they wanted to bring down the Vulturi, for good reason, at least to them. Unfortunately, I feel the Vulturi are in for a bit of trouble. While it was quite wise of them to end the battle peacefully, by having all the witnesses they had, it won't take long before all of the vampire world is going to know that the Vulturi aren't as powerful as they were led to believe. This poses a troubled future for the vampire world. While the Cullens were spared this time around, I feel that the Vulturi will eventually find a loophole to wage war against the Cullens, if anything, but to make an example. We know the Romanians are just looking for the time and place to reclaim their "throne" per say. Even if the Vulturi wish to collect Belle, Edward, Alice, Benjamin, and anyone else of power, Aro may set aside his greed, in order to keep their throne. They don't want to be the next Romanians and to be ousted. It is now a matter of self preservation.

As a writer myself, I can see the artistic purpose for the date as it is literally the end of one era and the dawn of a new one, in many ways. Belle began the year as a mortal, and ends the year as an immortal. The year begins with a fragil treaty with the werewolves, and the year ends with a strong unbreakable treaty. Old enemies become friends, and some friends became enemies. With Jan 1st around the corner one battle ends and opens the doors to possible new uncertain battles in the future.

This is one of the more touching moments as you see the changing relationship between Belle & Edward and Jacob. Edward doesn't just call Jacob a friend or a brother in arms per say, but he actually calls him, his son. When Edward is first made aware of the imprinting of Jacob upon Renesmee, he isn't thrilled, as was the same with Belle. He disliked it, of which furthered his annoyance and dislike of Jacob, but by the time the battle starts, Edward has changed completely in regards to Jacob. Not only is Jacob welcomed into his family, he finally acknowledges Jacob's ultimate claim upon Renesmee, of which would be hard for any father. In this regards, Jacob is adopted into the family. This is especially important to Jacob, as he is not only gaining a very wealthy stepfather, he is also gaining his best friend as a mother. Belle in many ways was always more of a mother to Jacob throughout the series, (in my opinion), of which is probably one of the reasons, Jacob clung to her as much as he did. You have to consider that Jacob lost his own mother. I can fully relate, as I too had lost a parent and was later "adopted" into another family. In many ways he goes from rags to riches. This also leads to the heartbreak, as this admittance to acceptance and love, is being revealed at the moment of true darkness...

Jacob and Renesmee would escape without injury, largely because the Cullens are more than a match for the Vulturi, especially with Belle's powers rendering all of the Vulturi's powers useless. The Vulturi would be forced to fight tooth and claw, and they aren't about to do that with the brutal force of the werewolves on the Cullen's side. The werewolves have already proven that they are more than a match for any vampire. The Vulturi, in part already know this, or they would have wiped the Cullens off the face of the earth, before they had a chance. The Vulturi are basically putting on a show, and testing the nerve. Simply they are trying to save face, as their position on the vampire royal court is teetering and ready to fall.

I think the Cullens calculated correctly. Carisle having sat with them for so long, was fully aware of how they work and opperate. The Vulturi will only fight a battle that they KNOW they are going to win, without question. It isn't enough to barely beat an enemy. They want to destroy them. If any one lives, such as the Romanians, they are to be spared, just to show that the Vulturi have both power to destroy and keep alive. It is all a powerful charaide to cement their position. The cover, for me has two meanings by this time... The first, and most obvious, meaning, is it is showing Belle starting as a pawn, the weakest (yet still surprising important) chess piece, and then Bella as the Queen, of which is the most powerful chess piece in the game (all though if you don't play right, losing her can sure screw up a chess game). This can also be applied though to the Cullens. In the vampire world, vegetarian vampires seem like something of a bunch of weaklings with morality complexes, but by the end of Breaking Dawn, the Cullens will now be revered as a very powerful coven, as their choice of lifestyle has opened doors never thought possible, such as the treaty with the werewolves, powerful bonds with other vampires, and more importantly unheard of relationships with humans on the outside. This is something the Vulturi can never have.
Olderthandirt
Settled in Forks

Post by Olderthandirt »

I believe James tracked a true werewolf; the Quileute wolves are not "monsters" in the mythical aspect.

Wolves are a "pack" animal; the phenomenom described fits with the pack image.

I was disappointed in the lack of description of the Volturi witnesses; they appeared to be no more than a "mob"

Fits her story telling - perhaps the winter solstice (sp?) would have been another option - the shortest day of the year, the darkest time of the year.

I was okay with the farewell until Edward called Jacob "my son" - i felt it was over the top. The escape plan was believable.
Regarding a battle - loose / loose on both sides. hard to determine a winner based upon Ms. Meyers ' info so far.

The cover make sense with the attack and Bella's response. Bella did begin as a pawn in the Cullen / Volturi relationship - she was very vulnerable as a human. Once changed, she evolved into a entity no one anticipated, taking control ! Bravo Bella!
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

Obviously James was tracking a werewolf because he was in Siberia. I'm assuming the werewolves are very very dangerous monsters who kill to kill. The shape-shifters are peaceful people who want to save lives.

I think that it only covers the entire pack when they are in wolf form, because that's when they are truly connected mentally. They are very close, almost like a single entity when they are in their wolf form.

The Volturi are definitely regretting the witness now, because they probably would just attack the Cullens if they weren't there, and now they can't or they have to kill the witnesses too. I think it's good in all situations to have witnesses. Garrett surprised me the most with his declaration,.. I'm glad somebody said those things. I like how the Volturi witness were very angry but now confused and questioning the Volturi,.. hopefully they will get away.

SM is always amazing and picks great dates/places/events always.

It's hard to say if Jacob and Renesmee stand a chance,.. but it just depends if the Volturi would worry about attacking her first or not, but they probably don't see her as much of a threat, just because she is so small, so they may be able to get away. I do believe the Cullens stand a chance now, because of Bella and her amazing shield.

I read somewhere that SM said the cover indicated Bella going from the weakest link to the strongest member of her family protecting everyone,.. I wouldn't have been able to figure that out otherwise maybe.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

A werewolf. It seems like the werewolves live in European areas, and anyway, not all shape-shifters take the form of a wolf. I think that's just the Quileutes.

I think she may have had to cover all of them if they weren't in wolf form, since their minds aren't connected that way.

I understood why they brought witnesses, and the Cullens' witnesses didn't surprise me.

Because this is the last day of the year, and also the last day that Bella ever has to worry.

It was sad, but I did know what was going to happen.

I knew the meaning of the cover, and I honestly can't see how it relates to this chapter.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

James tracked a werewolf. That's why Edward pointed out the distinction to Victoria. It was interesting to hear the differences, and how real werewolves are a lot like the traditional legends, apart from the silver bullets.

I think that she would have to cover them all individually if they were in human form, yes. They are obviously more closely linked as wolves.

I thought that the Volturi's plan to bring witnesses might backfire. It's not a wise thing to do, to have a witness, when you have an ulterior motive.

I don't think it's relevant to the story.

I thought it was possible that Jake and Renesmee could have survived if Demetri was killed. I thought the Cullens stood a very good chance of winning because of Bella.

I think the Cullens strategy worked well. And it's easy to see how the cover fits in now that Bella is so powerful.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

I think James tracked a werewolf. Shape-shifters could have been any form, it would be very much a coincidence that there are other wolfe-shape-shifters. Possible, but not probable.

I think if they weren't wolve, she would have to extend her shield. In wolve-form their thoughts are connected, in human-form they aren't.

I'm hoping the Volturi will regret it.

Maybe symbolic? New year, new beginning, new life?

I was hoping the Cullens would win, but I expected something to happen that would prevent the fight.

Yes, I think they had the Volturi's intentions correct. No, the cover didn't add anything for me at this point.