Discussion of the New Moon Movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
UnfreakinBelievable
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: New Moon Movie ~ Take 2

Post by UnfreakinBelievable »

About the announcement that Catherine won't be directing New Moon, I have mixed emotions -- but overall I'm thinking it will be a good thing. Look at Harry Potter, it was fun to have different directors' perspectives on things, and I think that it would be boring to have the same look and feel to all 8 movies.

I'm excited but anxious about this -- but more excited. :) I'd LOVE for the next director to show more of the building relationship between Edward and Bella before he leaves -- I just didn't get enough of that in Twilight. I'm not sure if that is the screenplay or the director's decision, but I thought it was a little lacking in that area. (and hey, I'm easy to please -- all I needed was a little sweep of his hand across her cheek while looking longingly into her eyes -- is this too much to ask???)

So anyway, I hope they are able to find someone who is as excited about the story as Catherine was, and also someone who can beef up the romance a bit too. I think Catherine did pretty well with what she had to work with, but I'm excited to move on and hopefully *crossing fingers* we get something a bit more polished with New Moon.
ellalou73
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by ellalou73 »

I'm not sure what to say this, aside from how frustrating things get. I've seen other studios do similar things on other movies, but at least we have the books to follow and they can't totally try and re invent anything. I only hope that Stephenie still has a pretty good say in how things should go. I think she stated in an interview that she had maybe five percent pull, but the good thing was the Director was willing to listen to her.

This new one I hope will have the same sort of sense, and if Stephenie says they shouldn't do something some way then maybe they will listen. I know we can't expect the movie to be the same as the book I'm not looking for that but NM has me really worried. I'll just hope it's good or even better than Twilight and go from there.
Miss Cullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Miss Cullen »

I am yet to see Twilight, but am a little worried that Catherine wont be directing NM. I think she had such a passion for the project and really loved it, so I only hope they can get a director with as much passion who is willing to listen to and incorporate Stephenie's input.
Morning Sun
Settled in Forks

Post by Morning Sun »

I am sorry to hear about Catherines dismissal...I wonder if Summit has already found a replacement....

What do you guys think - should there be more Edward in New Moon or should they stay faithful to the book? I think they should rewrite it - I am not sure if I can sit through the whole movie with only 20min of Edward ;)
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

switzgal wrote:Here's the interview with Rob where he said he didn't want them to change New Moon with more Edward scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xge9_qDCJJI

I think I have seen this before. I'e probably favorited it before... but I'll worry about that later. Rob touches himself a lot in this interview. THE HAIR! people. This is not the gutter.

I have realixed that I can not stop talking about Rob.

I watched Goblet of Fire tonight and Rob is still man/boy ish... older than Potter, but not quite Edward yet. To soft.

I think Catherine would be Okay in NM because she would keep authenticity.
I think only voice overs will do the movie Justice. A huge part of the heart breaking aganixing part of New Moon is Bella's pain, the lack of Edward (did anyone stop thinking about him) thae chance for Jacob to be a hero, a friend, a permenant ficture for Bella. A big directore could put too much Edward into this movie and deveate from the book, which I find huge in error as this franchise if based on Beloved Twihard book lovers, not the general public.
Last edited by spookybell on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
josierose
Wandering Through Town

Post by josierose »

Morning Sun wrote:I am sorry to hear about Catherines dismissal...I wonder if Summit has already found a replacement....

What do you guys think - should there be more Edward in New Moon or should they stay faithful to the book? I think they should rewrite it - I am not sure if I can sit through the whole movie with only 20min of Edward ;)
I'd be throwing things at the screen if it was all miserable Bella, especially if Kristen can pull it off.
I still think they should show how sad she is, but it wouldn’t be a very interesting movie to watch a depressed girl for an hour.
So I vote more Edward.
I have no signature so I decided to credit my icon that I got from HERE.
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

she can be misrable but it's Jacob's time to shine and make us swoon. I know it's hard. I love Edrob too.

I couldn't handle a sucudal, depressed mopy bella for 2 hours either. If she was, Jacob would kill her.
josierose
Wandering Through Town

Post by josierose »

josierose wrote:
Morning Sun wrote:I am sorry to hear about Catherines dismissal...I wonder if Summit has already found a replacement....

I'd be throwing things at the screen if it was all miserable Bella, especially if Kristen can pull it off.
I still think they should show how sad she is, but it wouldn’t be a very interesting movie to watch a depressed girl for an hour.
So I vote more Edward.
(Quoting myself)
It actually might be interesting (watching a depressed girl for an hour) but it would depress me as well...
I have no signature so I decided to credit my icon that I got from HERE.
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

the bikes can not be depressing. Meeting Quill and Embry can not be depressing. Hnaging with Jacob can not be depressing... so we have some possibilities. School will be depressing.
CatsOnMars
Settled in Forks

Post by CatsOnMars »

Whoever the director will be, their job is to make an adaptation that's true to the book. People who have read the book should know what they're getting, which is a lot of Jacob along with the Edward, and the director should feel no need to "improve" the story for certain fans.

I think a lot of us are underestimating just how big a part Edward actually has in New Moon when he's there. Everything that happens in Volterra is going to be a big climactic scene. Then there's the birthday party and the break-up scene...I can see all of that taking up the first twenty minutes of the movie. It could be an awkward movie structurally because the book is unique that way and might basically seem like a film about Jacob and Bella bookended with two Edward/Bella short films. But if it worked in the book, it shouldn't harm the movie that much to keep it the way it is.