Discussion of the New Moon Movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
switzgal
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Re: New Moon Movie ~ Take 2

Post by switzgal »

needwingstofly wrote:Does anyone else feel like they need to attempt to contact Summit and tell them to keep Taylor Lautner as Jacob? I think he was great in the part and if they change him now, it just won't seem right. I got nervous after I read that new article on ew.com. Would anyone else be disappointed if he wasn't in it? Is anyone going to start a writing campaign or anything on his behalf?

I want to but don't know how to start and where to send petitions. Will they (Summit) even read it along with maybe thousands of things they get?
Let me know if you find a way to do this.
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

siobhan1 wrote:Okay,
So I've tried to stay away from the new director thing,until it was decided, but I have read Nikki Finke's column re: Chris Weis directing New Moon. I read and enjoyed The Golden Compass and looked forward to seeing it in the movie theater, but I was very disappointed with the movie, it didn't have the same feeling as the book at all, it felt much colder. I din't have the same connection to Lira or her Uncle and Daniel Craig, who is a good actor, came off looking like a pompous jerk. The special effects were good, but that was about it. My main concern is twofold:
1: Weis apparently was offered this because he's good buddies with the head of Summit, and 2:he walked away from the Golden Compass midstream because he couldn't take the pressure from the fans of the book. He then got back on board once his replacement for The Golden compass bailed. Is this really the type of attitude that you want directing New Moon? So he directed American Pie, so is that how you want Bella and Edwards story treated?
Summit is still trying to sell us a cheap bill of goods. I'm actually considering e-mailing the head of Summit, or anyone I can find connected to Summit to ask them to reconsider weis, he's not the guy for this project.
Again, I am going to ask "Where is Stephenie Meyer?" Hello?? Stephenie are you home? Summit is so desperate to churn out a movie for money making at the expense of quality. I guess they think the fan base is incredibly stupid due to the fact that yes, it had a 69.9 million weekend, but that was on love of the books because the very next weekend it dropped 62% - that is a huge drop margin!!! Since then there have been many complaints in regards to writing, directing, stilted acting, etc. Summit is not in a very good position financially and they will take anything and do anything to make a quick buck - not smart. :x

I would love it if another movie studio/production company would come in and take over and then we may have a decent chance for New Moon providing we get a director who will tap into SM's vision and stay there, a great writer, better funding, etc. I know I'm dreaming, but really, it's all we have.

Summit did not realize anything in regards to Twilight, they are seriously deluding themselves if they think they can give us another crap movie, churned out in rapid time and think they can survive that one. :x

If they screw us again with another stupiding directing gig, horrid writing and wooden acting, then I hope they go under - RAPIDLY!!!!!
:evil:
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
OnyxEyes
Wandering Through Town

Post by OnyxEyes »

This makes me feel queasy:
Summit Entertainment has tentatively slated Nov. 20, 2009, as the release date for New Moon, the Twilight sequel, which means any director who signs on to replace Twilight director Catherine Hardwicke has to be in Vancouver by Dec. 15 to begin 12 weeks of preproduction before a mid-March start date. Reports have speculated that Hardwicke was fired for being difficult on set, but sources close to her suggest Summit's aggressive production schedule turned her off. "She'd love to do the sequel if she could do it better than Twilight,” says one. “It ­became clear that Summit didn’t have those same priorities."

Indeed, at press time the second movie appeared to have ­little more than a rough first-draft working script. As Summit’s production president Erik Feig told EW during Twilight’s ­record-busting first weekend, “There is that first...script. All the finesse that turns a screenplay into a movie hasn’t ­happened yet.” Two weeks later, Summit is saying it’s happy with screenwriter ­Melissa Rosenberg’s progress.

Another of Hardwicke’s primary concerns was that hunky vampire Edward remains MIA throughout New Moon’s middle portion. In her own opening-weekend interview, she told EW, “You have to get the chemistry as strong ­between Jacob and Bella as it was between Bella and Edward. You also have to do ­some­thing with that arc: She’s in love with somebody, he disappears, she falls in love with someone else, and the first guy comes back. Movies like Pearl Harbor have tried it. It absolutely didn’t work.”

With or without Hardwicke, Summit ­faces other snags. Two sources tell EW the studio doesn’t want to rehire baby-faced Taylor Lautner (pictured) as Jacob, though Lautner’s agent has apparently reached out to the ­imaging company behind The Curious Case of Benjamin Button in an attempt to demonstrate to Summit how a digitally bulked-up Lautner could work. (Summit says it won’t make a decision until a new filmmaker is on board.) There’s also the matter of finding a cast of Native American actors to play Jacob’s werewolf clan — a difficult challenge Hardwicke was also faced with before ­settling on Lautner, who isn’t completely ­Native American. And with a slightly increased budget of $50 million — much of which is ­assumed will go to leads asking for heftier paydays, location shoots in Italy, and ramped-up F/X — Summit will have to scrimp somewhere.

So what director would want to take on such a big headache? Well, at press time, an offer was out to Chris Weitz (The Golden Compass), who put Summit on the map years ago when its foreign sales operation made tons of cash off of his first film, American Pie. (One source says Weitz has already had conversations with below-the-line crew for New Moon.) “We are in a recession,” ­reminds one Hollywood insider. “It’s a hit franchise. Whoever steps into it is guaranteed a $100 million gross. Everyone wants this movie.” Adds an exec at another studio, “You’d have to have a very high standard for art, hate the movie business, and hate ­money to walk off this sequel.”
Um, no. You aren't guaranteed a $100 million gross if it sucks. Twilighters are passionate about the story and we're not going to settle for some cheap look-alike. Arrrg. :evil:
JenJen2112
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by JenJen2112 »

I don't think we should judge Chris Weitz only on The Golden Compass...In my opinion The Golden Compass would be a book that would be incredibly hard to translate to the silver screen...and I don't think he's going to approach Twilight in the same way he did the American Pie movies and those he really only produced...American Pie and Twilight don't have a whole lot in common so I wouldn't try to compare the two...the only thing I'm worried about right now is casting and it feeling very rushed...they want to start filming NM in March according to Kristen Stewart, but a lot of actors are already committed to projects, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see and hope for the best...I think Summit is going to do their best because they are trying to build a money making franchise off of Twilight...and remember...you can't walk into a theater thinking the book will be exactly like the movie...they are a business trying to appeal to every audience possible...and I hate to say Summit doesn't have to ask SM anything...she sold the rights to the book but hopefully they will keep her around to get the full essence of the books
needwingstofly
Settled in Forks

Post by needwingstofly »

switzgal wrote:
needwingstofly wrote:Does anyone else feel like they need to attempt to contact Summit and tell them to keep Taylor Lautner as Jacob? I think he was great in the part and if they change him now, it just won't seem right. I got nervous after I read that new article on ew.com. Would anyone else be disappointed if he wasn't in it? Is anyone going to start a writing campaign or anything on his behalf?

I want to but don't know how to start and where to send petitions. Will they (Summit) even read it along with maybe thousands of things they get?
Let me know if you find a way to do this.
I look on their (Summit) website and there is no way to contact them. I just get to see the pictures of all these old people who get to decide what the younger generation will like.
I'm on the same page as a lot of you. I like the fact that I might be able to see New Moon next year, but then again, I'd rather them take their time and make it good. Don't shove a movie out the door for a quick buck. Take your time and do it right. We'll be able to tell that it's rushed when it hits the big screen. And if New Moon doesn't do well, will they pull the plug on the rest of the series because it didn't make enough money even if it is their fault for rushing through it and doing a half fast job?
twilight813
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by twilight813 »

oh brother now im nervous!! this is not looking good.
Avi by Shel
Sisterhood of the Traveling Book
GM of Wingtears Non Veggie Vamp Cafe Member of Wingtears High Council
Gen Y Thread is <3
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

OnyxEyes wrote:This makes me feel queasy:
Summit Entertainment has tentatively slated Nov. 20, 2009, as the release date for New Moon, the Twilight sequel, which means any director who signs on to replace Twilight director Catherine Hardwicke has to be in Vancouver by Dec. 15 to begin 12 weeks of preproduction before a mid-March start date. Reports have speculated that Hardwicke was fired for being difficult on set, but sources close to her suggest Summit's aggressive production schedule turned her off. "She'd love to do the sequel if she could do it better than Twilight,” says one. “It ­became clear that Summit didn’t have those same priorities."

Indeed, at press time the second movie appeared to have ­little more than a rough first-draft working script. As Summit’s production president Erik Feig told EW during Twilight’s ­record-busting first weekend, “There is that first...script. All the finesse that turns a screenplay into a movie hasn’t ­happened yet.” Two weeks later, Summit is saying it’s happy with screenwriter ­Melissa Rosenberg’s progress.

Another of Hardwicke’s primary concerns was that hunky vampire Edward remains MIA throughout New Moon’s middle portion. In her own opening-weekend interview, she told EW, “You have to get the chemistry as strong ­between Jacob and Bella as it was between Bella and Edward. You also have to do ­some­thing with that arc: She’s in love with somebody, he disappears, she falls in love with someone else, and the first guy comes back. Movies like Pearl Harbor have tried it. It absolutely didn’t work.”

With or without Hardwicke, Summit ­faces other snags. Two sources tell EW the studio doesn’t want to rehire baby-faced Taylor Lautner (pictured) as Jacob, though Lautner’s agent has apparently reached out to the ­imaging company behind The Curious Case of Benjamin Button in an attempt to demonstrate to Summit how a digitally bulked-up Lautner could work. (Summit says it won’t make a decision until a new filmmaker is on board.) There’s also the matter of finding a cast of Native American actors to play Jacob’s werewolf clan — a difficult challenge Hardwicke was also faced with before ­settling on Lautner, who isn’t completely ­Native American. And with a slightly increased budget of $50 million — much of which is ­assumed will go to leads asking for heftier paydays, location shoots in Italy, and ramped-up F/X — Summit will have to scrimp somewhere.

So what director would want to take on such a big headache? Well, at press time, an offer was out to Chris Weitz (The Golden Compass), who put Summit on the map years ago when its foreign sales operation made tons of cash off of his first film, American Pie. (One source says Weitz has already had conversations with below-the-line crew for New Moon.) “We are in a recession,” ­reminds one Hollywood insider. “It’s a hit franchise. Whoever steps into it is guaranteed a $100 million gross. Everyone wants this movie.” Adds an exec at another studio, “You’d have to have a very high standard for art, hate the movie business, and hate ­money to walk off this sequel.”
Um, no. You aren't guaranteed a $100 million gross if it sucks. Twilighters are passionate about the story and we're not going to settle for some cheap look-alike. Arrrg. :evil:
The whole thing is one big mess!! I agree with your statement!!^^^ OnyxEyes.

I am not holding my breath for anything good right now. If Summit is still happy with Rosenberg, then we will have a suck-fest for a movie in New Moon!!!! :x :evil:
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
twilight813
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by twilight813 »

there has to be a way to contact Summit. If it isnt for the Fans they wont make money so we should have a say in it no? i dont care ill write a hand written letter!
Avi by Shel
Sisterhood of the Traveling Book
GM of Wingtears Non Veggie Vamp Cafe Member of Wingtears High Council
Gen Y Thread is <3
siobhan1
Settled in Forks

Post by siobhan1 »

WOW,
I hope the rumors about Summit not wanting Taylor Lautner are false. He had great chemistry with Kristen Stewart and was very natural. Besides Jacob is supposed to be at least 2 years younger than the rest and Taylor came across beautifully as a teen boy besotted with the older girl. It was a great contrast with Edward who is obviously an old soul much more mature than his "17" years. There are those who think Taylor doesn't look old enough or tall enough to play Jacob as he starts growing, but there are no 6ft 7" native american actors out there,so if they can totally ignore the fact that Rosalie was supposed to be the most beautiful girl in the room (Sorry Nikki Reed just isn't even close) then just lose the 6ft 7" (or add CGI for him in his wolf body)and go with Taylor.
P.S. Do you think Summit listens to anything other than the cash registers?

Hey, handwritten letter good idea Twilight813
sachael
Cliff Diving with Embry
Location: Somewhere in Vegas having and argument with Riley Reynolds.

Post by sachael »

well actually.. i didn't like taylor.. i'd prefer steven strait.. and i was looking ofr that article.. and i can'tt find it.. can you post the link..
ImageImage
Team J.ActionTwinnie:TillyWhitlock
A PROUD RANDIE and LEXLING
I Speak My Mindand i tweet too!