New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Discussion of the New Moon Movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Locked
User avatar
JessicaIsIntoxicated
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Post by JessicaIsIntoxicated » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:34 pm

That article made me absolutely furious. I got into a huge argument over it with friends who are King fans. King has more "respect" in the literature world due to the fact he has been around longer and has published more books, with more variety, that I suppose he thinks can reach a wider audience. Personally, I have never touched a single book of his or watched any of the films. Warped or not (I say he is), he has been very successful. If anything though, he should be supportive of rising authors. Not disrespectful or blatantly rude. I really hope Stephenie takes none of it to heart. Unfortunately, I can't say anything more about him without being banned from the forums, so let me finish with a quote from my good friend, Thumper:
If you can't say somethin' nice... don't say nothin' at all!
TEAM EDWARD: Knight in Shining Volvo

User avatar
RussetRose♥
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:51 pm
Location: In My Happy Place With Jacob

Re: New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Post by RussetRose♥ » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:23 pm

UnfreakinBelievable wrote:
debussygirl wrote:
olpatlanta wrote:
Allison wrote:Yay, I just read that the Italian studio that released Twilight in Italy has set up arrangements with Chris Weitz for filming in Voltera in May!! I'd love to be there for that scene!!
Here's the article link-
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799 ... id=19&cs=1
Yay!! I'm glad that they're using the actual city. That scene is going to be beautiful!
Oh, I have to add that I'm COMPLETELY stoked that they're filming in Volterra -- I agree, this is going to be awesome and beautiful . . . the Italy part alone will make the whole movie for me.
I can't believe that they are going to Italy to film the scenes. I would have been really disappointed if they decided to film it somewhere other than where it took place. It would be kind of a let down, if you ask me.
Image

"Did you know, you're sort of beautiful?"
"You hit your head pretty hard, didn't you?"

User avatar
peacelovetwilight
Wandering Through Town
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:56 pm
Location: North East England

Re: New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Post by peacelovetwilight » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:50 pm

Hi. I am new to the boards and just wanted to say I am unbelievably hyper about New Moon and we're still almost ten months away from the release :D.

When I was waiting for the Twilight movie to come out time seemed to go extra slow and I only got hooked on the books last September so I only had to wait three months.

I think I will probably become insane due to the anticipation by November :lol:
Like a stalker. An obsessed stalker. An obsessed vampire stalker- Edward Cullen
Edward Cullen used to be my ideal guy. Then Robert Pattinson came along. Now Edward's number two.

User avatar
Hawaii214
Wandering Through Town
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:30 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Post by Hawaii214 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:16 pm

Welcome :!: im new as well.
JessicaIsIntoxicated wrote:That article made me absolutely furious. I got into a huge argument over it with friends who are King fans. King has more "respect" in the literature world due to the fact he has been around longer and has published more books, with more variety, that I suppose he thinks can reach a wider audience. Personally, I have never touched a single book of his or watched any of the films. Warped or not (I say he is), he has been very successful. If anything though, he should be supportive of rising authors. Not disrespectful or blatantly rude. I really hope Stephenie takes none of it to heart. Unfortunately, I can't say anything more about him without being banned from the forums, so let me finish with a quote from my good friend, Thumper:
If you can't say somethin' nice... don't say nothin' at all!
I was incredibly shocked when i saw the article. I saw some of Kings movies and read none of the books and it seems like the last thing he would even consider doing. Hes just jealous and needs to get a life. :o
Image
"Death, that hath Sucked the Honey from thy Breath, hath had no Power yet upon thy Beauty"-Edward Cullen
"Enjoying the Bouquet, while Resisting the Wine"-Edward Cullen

TopazLove
Learning to Love Green
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:20 pm

Re: New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Post by TopazLove » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:24 pm

I am a huge Stephen King fan. I LOVE him. I read the entire Dark Tower Series, as well as a ton of his other books. Some of his stuff is warped, and some is more on the normal side (Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile). I loved Kingdom Hospital! I read his column in EW whenever he writes it. He writes a lot about pop culture stuff (best movies, music, TV, and books, etc.) I was always waiting to hear what he thought about the Twilight series, The Host, and Twilight the movie. All year, he never said a WORD! I was really wondering what was going on. I mean, Stephenie was the biggest author of the year, the movie was a huge hit, the whole Twilight universe was the biggest thing in pop culture this year. I felt like there was some define snubbing going on. Anyway, when I read what Stephen King said, I wasn't surprised. I knew something was up, but I was VERY disappointed in him. I don't know what his deal is! He always has great things to say about other authors. Something rubs him the wrong way when it comes to Twilight. At least it doesn't take 10 chapters to get into Stephenie's stories, unlike Stephen King's books. :evil: :twisted:

User avatar
JenJen2112
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Posts: 406
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:40 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Post by JenJen2112 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:24 pm

PLEASE don't throw sharp objects at me for this. The great writers of time don't come around very often, this being said I don't think I could name one in our time right now. Timeless classics are exactly that, writings that last through time. People like C. S. Lewis, Tolkien, Austen, Charles Dickens, Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Nathanial Hawthorne, Hemingway, George Orwell, Victor Hugo, Mary Shelley, Bram Stoker, and Arthur Conan Doyle, just to name a few. No offense to SM, but I would NEVER put her in the company of those writers. She is an OK writer with a good story line. I love the classics, but I can also get into books like Twilight. I don't know why everyone is jumping on Stephen King, he is entitled to his opinion as is every American citizen, its called freedom of speech. Last time I checked, his opinion isn't infringing on anyone's right to read whatever they want. In the world of writing, he isn't wrong. Many writers, people who teach writing, and readers all over would put JK Rowling in front of SM in terms of writing ability. SM does have a good story and people love to read it. His comments should take nothing away from it. But please, before you say she is a GREAT writer, please take the time to read things that are on many lists of the greatest books of all time and expand your taste in literature. (no offense is intended towards anyone, I just had to share my opinion)
Image

User avatar
renesmeecarlie
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Post by renesmeecarlie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:16 pm

JenJen2112 wrote:PLEASE don't throw sharp objects at me for this. The great writers of time don't come around very often, this being said I don't think I could name one in our time right now. Timeless classics are exactly that, writings that last through time. People like C. S. Lewis, Tolkien, Austen, Charles Dickens, Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Nathanial Hawthorne, Hemingway, George Orwell, Victor Hugo, Mary Shelley, Bram Stoker, and Arthur Conan Doyle, just to name a few. No offense to SM, but I would NEVER put her in the company of those writers. She is an OK writer with a good story line. I love the classics, but I can also get into books like Twilight. I don't know why everyone is jumping on Stephen King, he is entitled to his opinion as is every American citizen, its called freedom of speech. Last time I checked, his opinion isn't infringing on anyone's right to read whatever they want. In the world of writing, he isn't wrong. Many writers, people who teach writing, and readers all over would put JK Rowling in front of SM in terms of writing ability. SM does have a good story and people love to read it. His comments should take nothing away from it. But please, before you say she is a GREAT writer, please take the time to read things that are on many lists of the greatest books of all time and expand your taste in literature. (no offense is intended towards anyone, I just had to share my opinion)

Don't feel bad about having a different opinion about it--you are entitled to it!

Not to mention, I completely agree with you--I love these books and I love re-reading them becuase they are so fun and exciting, but I would probably not classify her as a GREAT writer

I'm probably just a literature snob, but I appreciate you saying something, because I feel the same

>>Back to the movie: I didn't know that they decided to film in Italy, but I could not be happier!! it's going to be so much more true to form than I thought it would if they decided on that so I honestly cannot wait!! :D
Image

"Amazing", he said, his exquisite voice full of wonder, slightly amused.
"Carlisle was right."

User avatar
lilmisstrouble
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:52 pm
Location: Isle of Esme. Between feathers and broken headboards.

Re: New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Post by lilmisstrouble » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:46 am

Hawaii214 wrote:Welcome :!: im new as well.
JessicaIsIntoxicated wrote:That article made me absolutely furious. I got into a huge argument over it with friends who are King fans. King has more "respect" in the literature world due to the fact he has been around longer and has published more books, with more variety, that I suppose he thinks can reach a wider audience. Personally, I have never touched a single book of his or watched any of the films. Warped or not (I say he is), he has been very successful. If anything though, he should be supportive of rising authors. Not disrespectful or blatantly rude. I really hope Stephenie takes none of it to heart. Unfortunately, I can't say anything more about him without being banned from the forums, so let me finish with a quote from my good friend, Thumper:
If you can't say somethin' nice... don't say nothin' at all!
I was incredibly shocked when i saw the article. I saw some of Kings movies and read none of the books and it seems like the last thing he would even consider doing. Hes just jealous and needs to get a life. :o
I think we should give the Volturi a phone call. Stephen King needs a visit from Lil Jane. :)

Jokes apart, I agree that the beauty of being in a country with freedom of speech is, well, the right to do so. Also, having read several literature classics myself, I must also agree we cannot compare such authors to some contemporary writers that make the best-seller lists of our time. They are indeed, potentially talented people, with amazing creativity, and through their books, they also open several doors to readers, engaging them to get a hold of classic literature, perhaps. There's a reason why such authors and their works are immortal.
I could go on an on about this, but in summary, I am all about people getting more reading done. I don't care what you read. Whether it's Twilight, Crime and Punishment or the back of a shampoo bottle. At least you're giving that part of your brain a try. The same goes for music.

If we were to compare - and PLEASE don't be insulted -, there's medium rare Filet Mignon and a delicious cheddar cheeseburger, with fries, and barbecue sauce. It makes me hungry just thinking about it. You can't deny filet mignon is absolutely indulgent and fine dining. But also not everyone likes their steak how it should be - medium rare. It is also undeniable that cheddar cheeseburger with some crispy fries are mouthwatering. One of them is more accessible than the other. But both are equally scrumptious and undeniably, food.
"Does my being half-naked bother you?"
Yes, please take the other half off. xoxo


http://www.whatwouldedwardcullendo.blogspot.com

TopazLove
Learning to Love Green
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:20 pm

Re: New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Post by TopazLove » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:03 am

JenJen2112 wrote:PLEASE don't throw sharp objects at me for this. The great writers of time don't come around very often, this being said I don't think I could name one in our time right now. Timeless classics are exactly that, writings that last through time. People like C. S. Lewis, Tolkien, Austen, Charles Dickens, Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Nathanial Hawthorne, Hemingway, George Orwell, Victor Hugo, Mary Shelley, Bram Stoker, and Arthur Conan Doyle, just to name a few. No offense to SM, but I would NEVER put her in the company of those writers. She is an OK writer with a good story line. I love the classics, but I can also get into books like Twilight. I don't know why everyone is jumping on Stephen King, he is entitled to his opinion as is every American citizen, its called freedom of speech. Last time I checked, his opinion isn't infringing on anyone's right to read whatever they want. In the world of writing, he isn't wrong. Many writers, people who teach writing, and readers all over would put JK Rowling in front of SM in terms of writing ability. SM does have a good story and people love to read it. His comments should take nothing away from it. But please, before you say she is a GREAT writer, please take the time to read things that are on many lists of the greatest books of all time and expand your taste in literature. (no offense is intended towards anyone, I just had to share my opinion)
Thing are said, things happen, and people discuss them. That is how life works. What you are saying is different from what we are saying. No he he not wrong, and he is not the first person to say it. Stephen King is not all that much better than SM. That is what I am saying. I was curious as to what irked him about Twilight, because I know something did. It is pointless to say something negative about another author just for the sake of saying it. Stephenie has been beaten up by critics enough. SK has the freedom to say what he wants, but I have the freedom to stick up for her. Since you are a fan of Twilight, you should know that you can like books because they are good stories, and you can like books because they are classic works of art. Stephenie and Stephen provide me with my guilty pleasure books, but I read the classics as well. I don't think you should assume we don't, just because we are sticking up for Stephenie. Someone can be the best writer in the world and have no interesting stories to tell. Technical writing skills can be learned, but what Stephenie has, is a gift. She is an amazing story teller.

User avatar
Hawaii214
Wandering Through Town
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:30 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Post by Hawaii214 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:30 pm

Maybe its her religion?
(I found this on google when i was doing some research as to why he said what he said)

"Stephen King: Much of King's work clearly deals with the occult, but it conveys a clear, religious sense of good and evil, and sometimes explicitly acknowledges the existence of God. Conservative Christian writers have called The Stand King's "most Christian" novel, but we are not aware if King considers himself a Christian. (It was made into a television mini-series, filmed in Utah and staring Molly Ringwald.) In an interview King said:"
"I don't see myself as God's stenographer. As someone who believes in God, believes that God is a logical out growth of the fact that life fits together as well as it does, but that doesn't mean that we know God's mind... There's been a lot of criticism of the book where they say the God stuff really turns them off. I'm thinking to myself that these guys have no problems with vampires, demons, golems, werewolves and you name it. If you try to bring in a God who can take sardines and crackers and turn it into loaves and fishes, then these people have a problem. I say to myself, if you have a real problem then I'm doing what a novel of suspense and horror is supposed to do, which is to just scratch below the surface and sought of rub your nerves the wrong way." -Stephen King(February 2000)
Maybe hes mad that shes mormon and can still write about Vampires & Werewolves without believing in them and still get all this attention.
Image
"Death, that hath Sucked the Honey from thy Breath, hath had no Power yet upon thy Beauty"-Edward Cullen
"Enjoying the Bouquet, while Resisting the Wine"-Edward Cullen

Locked