New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Discussion of the New Moon Movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Locked
User avatar
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies
Posts: 6978
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:10 pm
Location: preparing for next winter
Contact:

Re: New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Post by debussygirl » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:01 pm

In the article I read, Stephen King has apparently said pretty much the same thing to a number of other best-selling authors. I think that's just him so I don't really care.
Image
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com

User avatar
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk
Posts: 3586
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Swimming in a sea of books, books and more books

Re: New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Post by navarre » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:13 pm

JenJen2112 wrote:PLEASE don't throw sharp objects at me for this. The great writers of time don't come around very often, this being said I don't think I could name one in our time right now. Timeless classics are exactly that, writings that last through time. People like C. S. Lewis, Tolkien, Austen, Charles Dickens, Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Nathanial Hawthorne, Hemingway, George Orwell, Victor Hugo, Mary Shelley, Bram Stoker, and Arthur Conan Doyle, just to name a few. No offense to SM, but I would NEVER put her in the company of those writers. She is an OK writer with a good story line. I love the classics, but I can also get into books like Twilight. I don't know why everyone is jumping on Stephen King, he is entitled to his opinion as is every American citizen, its called freedom of speech. Last time I checked, his opinion isn't infringing on anyone's right to read whatever they want. In the world of writing, he isn't wrong. Many writers, people who teach writing, and readers all over would put JK Rowling in front of SM in terms of writing ability. SM does have a good story and people love to read it. His comments should take nothing away from it. But please, before you say she is a GREAT writer, please take the time to read things that are on many lists of the greatest books of all time and expand your taste in literature. (no offense is intended towards anyone, I just had to share my opinion)
Well, even SM would not put herself in the same category at the list you gave. She is pretty humble about things. His stories always have a much darker edge to them. I read "The Talisman" -my personal fave and "Dance Macabre". He is a fantastic writer, but I rarely have agreed with his opions on music, films or his ideas of a great book. Ironic isn't it? Sometimes a writer can write but their recommendations aren't always the best. To each his own. I think he just finds the Twilight Saga a laughable representation of the world of vampires; too pure, too clean and not enough doom & gloom for his tastes. At the end of the day who cares what he thinks. SM is still beloved and her books are wonderful. Not Pulizer Prize winners, but then she doesn't pretend to be. She shared her dream with us and what a dream it was!
For that, I am grateful.

I am just hoping for a come back with New Moon - the movie. Anything to remove the terrible taste that Twilight the Movie left in my mouth. :x I certainly DO NOT care about CH's behind-the-scenes account of the filming. She has some stupid book coming out. W. :evil:
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict

User avatar
JenJen2112
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Posts: 406
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:40 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Post by JenJen2112 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:07 pm

^^I agree about the NM movie...I hope CW can put the movie well beyond where CH left it. IMO her and completely missed the point on Bella and Edward's love...for anyone who saw the movie and didn't read the book, the rest of the series will make no sense to them. They won't understand Bella's pain when Edward leaves, and the most definitely won't understand why Edward wants to provoke the Volturi because he can't live without Bella. I really hope that CW realizes where CH missed and will do a bit of back tracking to explain how powerful Bella and Edward's relationship is portrayed in the book.
Image

User avatar
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk
Posts: 3586
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Swimming in a sea of books, books and more books

Re: New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Post by navarre » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:46 pm

JenJen2112 wrote:^^I agree about the NM movie...I hope CW can put the movie well beyond where CH left it. IMO her and completely missed the point on Bella and Edward's love...for anyone who saw the movie and didn't read the book, the rest of the series will make no sense to them. They won't understand Bella's pain when Edward leaves, and the most definitely won't understand why Edward wants to provoke the Volturi because he can't live without Bella. I really hope that CW realizes where CH missed and will do a bit of back tracking to explain how powerful Bella and Edward's relationship is portrayed in the book.
Agreed. But he sure has his work cut out for him in that department. When so much of the emotional element was left out of the original story, unless you can add that to the second installment with enough clarity, you can have a real mess trying to explain just why these two fit together and why their love is so powerful and timeless for these stories.
Last edited by navarre on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict

User avatar
JenJen2112
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Posts: 406
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:40 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Post by JenJen2112 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:59 pm

^^and then add on top of that the complexity of Jacob and Bella...I almost feel bad for him with so much to cover within about 2 hours...and still have it flow and be a good movie...
Image

User avatar
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Posts: 9447
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:03 pm
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!
Contact:

Re: New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Post by sarah! » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:19 pm

JenJen2112 wrote:^^and then add on top of that the complexity of Jacob and Bella...I almost feel bad for him with so much to cover within about 2 hours...and still have it flow and be a good movie...
Me too. I hope it turns out well. :?
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!

AliceFan
Wandering Through Town
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:34 pm
Location: Honolulu, HI

Re: New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Post by AliceFan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:06 am

navarre wrote:
JenJen2112 wrote:^^I agree about the NM movie...I hope CW can put the movie well beyond where CH left it. IMO her and completely missed the point on Bella and Edward's love...for anyone who saw the movie and didn't read the book, the rest of the series will make no sense to them. They won't understand Bella's pain when Edward leaves, and the most definitely won't understand why Edward wants to provoke the Volturi because he can't live without Bella. I really hope that CW realizes where CH missed and will do a bit of back tracking to explain how powerful Bella and Edward's relationship is portrayed in the book.
Agreed. But he sure has his work cut out for him in that department. When so much of the emotional element was left out of the original story, unless you can add that to the second installment with enough clarity, you can have a real mess trying to explain just why these two fit together and why their love is so powerful and timeless for these stories.
I agree with both of you on this. I hadn't read any of the books before the movie came out. Now I've read them all of course, and have seen the movie several times since. When I first saw the film, I was baffled by the scene when they went on the excursion to the compost green house. At the end when Bella is leaving to return to the bus and Edward catches up with her and says something like, "We really shouldn't be friends." I thought to myself, 'since when are they friends?' Everything in the film that led up to that point didn't indicate they were really friends. It just was a strange jump for me to make.

Having read the books, I can say that yes, most of the emotional give and take between Edward and Bella was absent from the first half of the film. I never at that time really understood why Edward reacted so strongly to Bella in the school lab; now of course I completely get it, having read the books. I don't know if a lot of stuff was edited out, but it seemed to me that the development of their relationship was like a jigsaw puzzle with a lot of key pieces missing. Then again, maybe it was the script writers who were at fault, or higher-ups in the production eschelon. I wonder who makes those decisions? Anyway, like so many others here, I am glad they have chosen to film Volterra in....uh, Volterra. That should give it some authenticity. Okay, I've rambled for long enough.

User avatar
UnfreakinBelievable
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:32 pm
Location: Reading Twilight (again) in Utah

Re: New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Post by UnfreakinBelievable » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:48 pm

I agree with all of the above, I'm so excited for what New Moon will bring -- and I have such high hopes for how it will turn out!

I just recently listened to an interview with Jackson Rathbone (love him, btw) and the girl that was doing the interview stated that New Moon had a HUGE budget -- and Jackson didn't deny it. So, not sure what to make of that, because the last thing I heard about the NM budget was it will only be about 50 mil, but that was before Twilight made 300+ million in the box office. I HOPE, HOPE, HOPE it's really going to be huge (at least 100 mil would be nice).

Here's the link for the interview:
http://extratv.warnerbros.com/2009/02/a ... -_live.php
Image

User avatar
edwardlikeshaystacks
Often Mistaken for a Bear
Posts: 5870
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:02 am
Location: The city that never sleeps.
Contact:

Re: New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Post by edwardlikeshaystacks » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Sorry to stray from the authors discussion but at the moment I'm watching Harry Potter and the OoTP and I must say their effects are brilliant. Someone mentioned that Jackson said that NM had a huge budget and I really hope they decide to look to bulk up the sp. effects!
Image
Team Quil: Clove Ottawa
Emmaline-Jane: is the "Toph" of Lexicalia.

User avatar
RussetRose♥
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:51 pm
Location: In My Happy Place With Jacob

Re: New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Post by RussetRose♥ » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:52 pm

^^Me too! I really hope that the special effects are awesome and everything else is amazing. Like, the wolves...I can't wait to see wait they look like! :D
Image

"Did you know, you're sort of beautiful?"
"You hit your head pretty hard, didn't you?"

Locked