Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
TopazLove
Learning to Love Green

Re: New Moon Movie Take 4...and a half

Post by TopazLove »

twilightsagaaddict wrote:
Jazz Girl wrote:
TopazLove wrote:According to the Lexicon blog, Solomon is officially out. :shock:
I amy be the only one, and I apologize if you are a big Solomon fan. But, I gotta say, I am pretty okay with this one, folks. It's not really ever clear who he's supposed to be, so it's not like we have this picture of Sam and then it changes. Plus, the way he does deliver his one line is just a little random to me. I can't put my finger on it, but it just rubs me the wrong way. Plus, all in all, I always thought Sam was just a little older, or should be anyway, should exude some authority. There he just looks like a pouty kid. Sorry, that's just my opinion.

I have to agree with you JazzGirl. While Solomon delivered Sam's important line inTW, it could have been anyone on "the Res" who uttered it. Sam was such a minor character in TW. Aside from those of us who are obsessed with the saga ;) , your average fan going to the movie isn't really going make a big deal of it of who plays the part.

Plus, "Sam" in NM has a much larger role-physically as well as being the leader of the pack. I think they need a more imposing actor to play the part.
I agree. He was never what I imagined Sam to be. My only hope is that they picked someone as equally dedicated to the story....
Jen_Cullen_31343
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Jen_Cullen_31343 »

Okay I think its just me but who is Soloman? I cant remember for the life of me.
TEAM EDWARD!

BECAUSE JACOB DOESN'T SPARKLE =]
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Soloman is the guy who played Sam. He's the one who said, "The Cullens don't come here."
or something along those lines
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

Lol! I didn't even know it was Sam in the first place...
I expected Sam to be huge and muscley..

Not like im gunna be able to tell the difference when they change him... I didn't take much notice of him in Twilight anyway..
Imo.. he didn't fit the role.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

For me, though, it is the same situation with Taylor as Jacob. I am not nearly so concerned with the physical size as the actaul ability. When you cast a role, if you have a defining set of physical characterisitcs, you have to balance between ability and matching as close as possible to that set of defining characteristics. Sometimes you can play with those characteristics, sometime you just can't. For example, in Edward's case, you couldn't have cast...I don't know...Jack Black or something like that, no matter how well he played the role. It just doesn't fit. In our case, we were amazingly blessed in that Catherine was able to find someone amazingly talented who also physically fit the bill. With Edward, you can't compromise on the physical because of how much of a defining characteristic his beauty is. (Rob will just have to learn to accept that he is much closer to the physically attractive ideal than he sees himself.) It would be really hard to write that part out of the story, and we as fans would probably revolt if they tried.

But, with a character like Sam or Jacob, their physical size isn't as much a necessary component to their presence on screen. It is much more believable that a wolf doesn't necessarily have to be 6'7" than it is to believe in such a thing as an average looking vampire, the way they are presented in SM's mythology. I hope the way I am explaining it makes sense.

Really, my only hope is that this isn't being done to get another AnnaLynne McCord into the film, some other hanger on who just wants in on "the next big thing".
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
who_needs_fangs?
Digging the Castle Motif

Post by who_needs_fangs? »

I don't think AnnaLynne is a hanger on, actually. She had been up for a role in the first movie, but had to decline because of scheduling conflicts. I think it's people like the Jonas Brothers and Michael Copon - who couldn't even bother to learn the name of the movie he was so eager to be in - who are hangers on, jumping on the bandwagon.
|Allie (Red) and Sami (Cocoa) and Sydney (Yank) are ❤|Conch=twin|
|SBS|Major V|Heidi Volturi|Veronica Ricci|Some other stuff I forgot|
|Banner Screenshots by Squid, Avie by Abby|
addictedbooklover
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by addictedbooklover »

I think it's sad that Solomon's out because he did a lot to try and get into charcter for Sam in Twilight even though he had a tiny part. I mean, he started learning the Quileute language etc...
And I never really liked Taylor as Jacob, but he's better than Michael Copon. Twilight 2???

Team Jacethper! (Jacob, Seth and Jasper) Now, to fit Leah in there...

Thanks Cocoa for the banner :D

Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

***Argh...Stupid Computer Keyboard...Meant to do something else...Sorry***
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Caitygirl1
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Caitygirl1 »

Jazz Girl wrote:But, with a character like Sam or Jacob, their physical size isn't as much a necessary component to their presence on screen. It is much more believable that a wolf doesn't necessarily have to be 6'7" than it is to believe in such a thing as an average looking vampire, the way they are presented in SM's mythology. I hope the way I am explaining it makes sense.

I think I disagree with you about the werewolves thing to an extent. I think the part of vampire being attractive is just as important as a werewolf fitting the role of being "large," however I do not feel this is the case with Sam's character but more for Jake's but that may have to do with the story. I want to have Bella notice that Jake is getting taller and more muscler such as with the line when she tells Jacob he is "sort of beautiful." His getting bigger kinda gave me a timeline as to when he started to get more werewolf-ish. With Sam being a minor charcter who is alrady a werewolf when the story starts, I dont think his size is as important.
A simpler place,
where love was defined in simpler ways.
One plue one equals two.."

Team Edward -- Dazzling since 1918
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

Caitygirl1 wrote:
Jazz Girl wrote:But, with a character like Sam or Jacob, their physical size isn't as much a necessary component to their presence on screen. It is much more believable that a wolf doesn't necessarily have to be 6'7" than it is to believe in such a thing as an average looking vampire, the way they are presented in SM's mythology. I hope the way I am explaining it makes sense.

I think I disagree with you about the werewolves thing to an extent. I think the part of vampire being attractive is just as important as a werewolf fitting the role of being "large," however I do not feel this is the case with Sam's character but more for Jake's but that may have to do with the story. I want to have Bella notice that Jake is getting taller and more muscler such as with the line when she tells Jacob he is "sort of beautiful." His getting bigger kinda gave me a timeline as to when he started to get more werewolf-ish. With Sam being a minor charcter who is alrady a werewolf when the story starts, I dont think his size is as important.
That's an interesting point, CaityGirl1. But, I would say that if it applies to one, wouldn't it apply at least to the whole species? If it applies to Jacob, wouldn't it need to apply to the rest of his kind if you are going to tack it on as an aspect of his being a werewolf? I guess my point is just that it is easier to have even semi normal sized people to play the werewolves and just sort of overlook the whole size thing than it would be to cast some ugly people as the vampires and still try to see the idea that they are perfect predators because they have all these "weapons" to attract their prey.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty