Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
AliceFan
Wandering Through Town

Re: New Moon movie, take 5

Post by AliceFan »

spicey16 wrote:
AliceFan wrote:
ringswraith wrote:Well they've mentioned that Edward supposedly gets beaten up more than once in this film. At least one of those times is supposed to be by Jane.

Which makes me worry about Breaking Dawn, if that ever comes to film. The big confrontation at the end worked specifically because you thought a fight would break out, and it didn't.

They should have kept the fighting in Eclipse. At least there, it's reasonable.
I'm right there with you, Ringswraith. It's so unfortunate that these days scriptwriters and movie makers don't know how to convey excitement and tension if it's of a psychological nature rather than a physical one. Seems like the only way they know how to portray conflict is through physical confrontations, which is a very base, crude way of telling a story. I'm thinking particularly of Breaking Dawn, where so much was said in what was NOT said. And as far as Jane beating up Edward goes...yuk! That's a prime example of what I'm talking about!
all this psychological talk makes me think of hannibel lector *sp? in silence of the lambs. in the movies you know the terrible things he has done but he never actually does anything (at first anyway) but speak in twisted riddles and it still makes your hair stand on end!!
Yes, you're right about that! Anthony Hopkins was so good as Hannibal Lector, so hair-raisingly creepy, that I never wanted to see another movie with Hannibal again! Well, that's not to say that the Volturi should be so creepy that they scare everyone away...but you understand the theory here. To me the Volturi were so menacing not because of what they did, but because of what we thought they could do. And that came across really well in the books. I just hope it plays out that way in the films, and that they don't make everything a display of physical power. Especially Aro and Jane. Jane is so deadly because she doesn't have to touch someone to hurt them. Aro is, to me, the quintessential vampire - the vampire's vampire, so to speak. Actually I have high hopes for Aro, since he's being played by Michael Sheen, a fantastic actor.

When it comes to portraying psychological and implied power, conflict, tension, etc., it depends so much on the scriptwriting and the actors' abilities to convey a lot just by looks or by their movement, the way they stand, their body language, their facial expressions. It would certainly be a challenge to everyone involved. It's an easy way out to just make it a physical thing. Okay I'm rambling now. Off I go then.
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

To be honest, i'd love to see how it all plays out.
I think it would be more heartbreaking to see eddie get smashed into things.

..it would totally screw up the story and what will happen in BD, but it would look sweeet.

^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

I agree with AliceFan, the ambiguity of the Volturi was what made them so frightening. And I hope all the actors can pull off communicating what's not there and what's not said. Most of the actors are so young, though! I'm not worried about Edward appearing instead of just being a voice. I'm 90% sure that's going to happen, why would they take their main eye candy out of most of the film? One of the biggest reasons this film will do well in the box office is Rob, they need to have him in more than just a few scenes at the end. I'm concerned about Jane being played by Dakota Fanning. She just seems way too old for the part, and just too conspicuous. I wish the casting people went with an unknown instead of such a big name. Regardless, I am still looking forward to the movie and I'll be there opening day with bells on, just like all the other rabid Twilight fans. :)
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
icunevermore
Wandering Through Town

Post by icunevermore »

I hope they do the bring on dinner scene. I want to see the reaction of the tour as it enters the main chamber. :o I'm sure Heidi will be something to see.
I wanna be a Grizzly Bear just so Emmitt will tackle me.
http://www.myspace.com/icunevermore
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

Dovrebanen wrote:
missp wrote:I kind of thought so, but I couldn't be sure. In any case, I wouldn't want to see the powers that be do something like Edward promising Bella he will have sex with her before they marry or anything...that would be totally out of character.
In NM it's as close to a proposal as you can get, except the ring and the direct "will you marry me". He says someting like "marry me first" (I think?), and then goes on to explain that is his condition for changing her himself. And then he asks her if it had gone better if he had time to come up with a ring. So like fanMNM says, they don't really resolve it. But the way Bella responds...It's a very clear no, IMO.

And I agree..I am scared that they will have him promise to have sex with her. At that point this was something that Edward desperately refused. When she asked him in Twilight, he said it would not be possible. And the issue hadn't really come up since then, but we know that all the way until it actually happened and even after that Edward was against it. So for him to promise something like that, would be a let down for me. But....I guess sex sells better than marriage on screen. I would be very disappointed if the subject of marriage doesn't come up. It won't break the movie for me, but I would prefer that it was in there because it shows so much of the 1918 Edward, and how much he resents the idea of her becoming a vampire.
I know this is kind of a late respose but, Oh my goodness. I never thought of the sex thing, they had better not do anything like that. Edward would never do such a thing. Plus I would really hope that SM would be extremely against it & ask them not to do such a thing. And that would be totally out of character. They already did some out of character things for Edward in Twilight (one I can think of is Edward telling Bella how you become a vampire.) Man why do they have to mess things up?
The proposal had better be in NM. I would be EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED if it's not there.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

How involved is SM in this project? I know with the first movie, her opinion was pretty important. But there's a new director and I don't know how big a fan he is of the series. Anyone know or see anything recent about this?
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

I don't know her degree of involvement, but thus far her posts on her website regarding the movie have all been very positive.
AliceFan
Wandering Through Town

Post by AliceFan »

I don't think there's anything to worry about regarding Edward and Bella having sex...or talking about having sex. This is a series of movies geared very consciously towards teens and tweens rather than an adult audience, and I don't think they'd ever want to spoil their rating. Also, I don't know, I'm only speculating, but Chris Weitz seems very aware of the audience demographic, as well as having respect for the books and Stephenie Meyer. Whether he is a 'fan' or not is a moot point. Certainly if Meyer has anything to say about it, there won't even be a question of pre-marital sex, at least on Edward's part, or they might as well throw the whole theological undercurrent of the Twilight series, which very clearly reflects her Mormon faith, out the window. I would be stunned if they did that.

On the other hand, this is Summit and Hollyweird we're talking about......
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

Stephenie probably had quite a reasonable amount of say for Twilight...

..and look how that turned out.

But Chris isn't a psycho and I'm very positive that NM will turn out perfect.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

Also, people may have hate towards Melissa Rosenberg, but she was not on set for a bunch of the filming of Twilight because of the writers' strike. Who knows how much Catherine Hardwicke really edited her script. We all already know that she and Rob were the ones that added in the much disapproved line of "hold on tight spider monkey"