Discussion of the New Moon Movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: New Moon Trailer

Post by Dovrebanen »

funkidiva wrote:Those two clips were great to watch - such a tease at the end of the 2nd clip!! Made me laugh and roll my eyes when all the girls went hysterical when Jacob took his top off. Definately made my mind up not to see the film on the opening night though as will be a nightmare with all the screaming etc.
I had headphones on when I listened to the clips and got all the screaming girls right into my ear :shock: :lol:
But I will see New Moon opening night anyway. Simply because I can't stand to wait. So if I get my ticket I will go. I plan to see it more than once, so I won't mind a bit of screaming the first time.
The clips were amazing. I have a lot of faith in CW. He seems to get the book.
I was a bit concerned about Bella seeing Edward. But it looks good the way they have done it. It gives a great effect,and I think for the movie it is better to do it that way than just a voice over.
twi-nerd wrote:I see the New Moon trailer and she's too confident. I literally paused the screen when she said "kiss me" That face was like she was just trying too hard. I don't like Kristen Stewart in this movie, but we do have to remember that she was smoking something during the filming of Twilight, it was so obvious before they caught the pictures of her and her boyfriend.
I don't agree. I think we need to show Kristen some respect, and give her some credit and assume that she takes her job seriously. What she smokes or not in her own time is neither in my interest nor is it my business. But I believe that she is a professional in her job regardless. For me Kristen did a good job in Twilight. She had her weak moments, especially the hospital scene. But I also think that some of it has to do with the script and the directing.

In the trailer, I think Kristen is just perfect in the forest when Edward leaves. She looks stunned and shocked. We see very little of the kissing scene so it's hard to judge that.
She did a good job with the motor cycles. I like the look on her face when she's apologizing to Edward for bleeding. And Italy, she had the perfect look I think. I can't wait to see her crash into Edward, and see how she handles the really emotional reunion. So I really think that Kristen has what it takes to play Bella in NM.

Karl - Thanks for the countdown! We're slowly getting there :D
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
twi-nerd
Fishing with Charlie

Post by twi-nerd »

Dovrebanen wrote:
funkidiva wrote:Those two clips were great to watch - such a tease at the end of the 2nd clip!! Made me laugh and roll my eyes when all the girls went hysterical when Jacob took his top off. Definately made my mind up not to see the film on the opening night though as will be a nightmare with all the screaming etc.
I had headphones on when I listened to the clips and got all the screaming girls right into my ear :shock: :lol:
But I will see New Moon opening night anyway. Simply because I can't stand to wait. So if I get my ticket I will go. I plan to see it more than once, so I won't mind a bit of screaming the first time.
The clips were amazing. I have a lot of faith in CW. He seems to get the book.
I was a bit concerned about Bella seeing Edward. But it looks good the way they have done it. It gives a great effect,and I think for the movie it is better to do it that way than just a voice over.
twi-nerd wrote:I see the New Moon trailer and she's too confident. I literally paused the screen when she said "kiss me" That face was like she was just trying too hard. I don't like Kristen Stewart in this movie, but we do have to remember that she was smoking something during the filming of Twilight, it was so obvious before they caught the pictures of her and her boyfriend.
I don't agree. I think we need to show Kristen some respect, and give her some credit and assume that she takes her job seriously. What she smokes or not in her own time is neither in my interest nor is it my business. But I believe that she is a professional in her job regardless. For me Kristen did a good job in Twilight. She had her weak moments, especially the hospital scene. But I also think that some of it has to do with the script and the directing.

In the trailer, I think Kristen is just perfect in the forest when Edward leaves. She looks stunned and shocked. We see very little of the kissing scene so it's hard to judge that.
She did a good job with the motor cycles. I like the look on her face when she's apologizing to Edward for bleeding. And Italy, she had the perfect look I think. I can't wait to see her crash into Edward, and see how she handles the really emotional reunion. So I really think that Kristen has what it takes to play Bella in NM.

Karl - Thanks for the countdown! We're slowly getting there :D

You do have a point there were weak moments in it but I saw New Moon trailers and I happened to notice all her facial expressions carefully. She will do a good job in this film but hopefully Chris is the one that is telling them how to act on the scene i.e. facial expressions and tones and moods etc.

Same thing happened to me with the screaming girls, I had my headphones on and they're really loud so I just threw them on the floor.
My favorite band Pierce the Veil. I LOVE VIC FUENTES!! Thank you so much Chloe for the banner.
DangerMagnet43
Settled in Forks

Post by DangerMagnet43 »

As much as I'd like to go for the first showing, I am going to wait a day or so for the initial hysteria to die down. I live in a smaller town and that sometimes has it's benefits, lol.
themeadow
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by themeadow »

I think that...*crosses fingers* she'll do okay in this one. I absolutely could not stand her in Twilight. Awkward and not enough emotion, and too serious. But what I've seen looks much better...that Italy scene...<33.
These violent delights have violent ends. And in their triumph die, like fire and powder, which as they kiss, consume.
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

I don't know what the hell is wrong with you all (except trine)

Obviously, Kristen cannot please you.
I think she did a bloody fantastic job. I can see her growing as bella, and she keeps getting better.
Her face after falling off the bike = Heartbreaking. Looking up at Taylor after apologising for bleeding, it tore my heart.
Running in Volterra was exactly how I pictured it. Hearing her scream for Eddie to stop, a shiver went down my spine.
Give her a ****** break.

As for the first trailer, I thought her eyebrow raise was no only cute, but accurately portrays how bella was. Freaking out about Edward, and wanting him to see that she doesnt give a flying rats backside about what happened, and that shes okay with it.

I'm pretty sure you'd complain no matter who was playing Bella. And what she does in her private life is none of your business, nor should it dictate your thoughts on her acting ability.

and the only person that was smoking during twilight was Catherine.

Bella is not cheery, bubbly, enthusiatic, or confident. She's shy, awkward, unsure, has low self esteem, plain, sarcastic and generally doesn't show that much emotion on her face. In that respect, Kristen is PERFECT as Bella. She portrays her RIGHT.

Sadly, your expectations are too high to really appreciate what a brilliant job Kristen is doing.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
DangerMagnet43
Settled in Forks

Post by DangerMagnet43 »

Jadey wrote:I don't know what the hell is wrong with you all (except trine)

I'm pretty sure you'd complain no matter who was playing Bella.
Bella is not cheery, bubbly, enthusiatic, or confident. She's shy, awkward, unsure, has low self esteem, plain, sarcastic and generally doesn't show that much emotion on her face. In that respect, Kristen is PERFECT as Bella. She portrays her RIGHT.
What alot of fans are not realizing is that NO ONE is good enough for 'their' Edward. I agree with you 100%. She is a character who is a complete introvert and I believe she does a good job.
The only suggested (note: suggested) option I would offer up is that If people really hate her/it that much, don't go to the move-wait for the video.

Just an opinion and I do respect others. This also rang true with the anti-Jacob phase. The character jacob could neve compare to our 'perfect' Edward. However I was curious about the backgroundof Jacob and went to SM website and read about her take on him-it was quite enlightening and made so much sense.
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Thanks, Jade :D
DangerMagnet43 wrote:

I'm pretty sure you'd complain no matter who was playing Bella.
What alot of fans are not realizing is that NO ONE is good enough for 'their' Edward. I agree with you 100%. She is a character who is a complete introvert and I believe she does a good job.
I agree with both of you. Jade, perfect description of Bella. When I first saw it, I didn't really like the eyebrow thing. But shortly after my first viewing, I realized that she is trying to be strong. She is trying to be confident so that Edward won't freak out about what happened. And most of all, Bella is trying to fight off the fact that she is scared s!#tless for what Edward is thinking. She wants him to kiss her so that she can believe that everything is okay, and keep his mind occupied. So that eyebrow thing is really saying a lot. She's putting on a brave face to mask her feelings underneath, IMO. And she is trying to bring out some of emotion and reaction from Edward, who has completely shut down on her.

Bella is akward, and she has issues with showing emotions. The only one she really opens up to is Edward, and even with him she is so afraid that he is just going to vanish if she closes her eyes. And then he does leave...And I think Kristen is doing a perfect job in conveying the shock, but also the acceptance of him leaving. The whole, 'it never made sense for you to love me.' She's not crying, because it hasn't hit her yet, and at the same time it makes perfect sense. That's the same reason why she doesn't display a lof emotions in her face in that scene. It is just enough, IMO.

I think that Kristen and Taylor together displayed very well the emotions going on between Jacob and Bella, especially at that point from Jacob's side. He is falling in love with her, while Bella is still totally broken. I liked how someone pointed out in the Summer house thread that Bella's face displayed hopelessness after Edward disappeared when she fell off the bike.
And the terror and panic while running through the crowds in Volterra....wow.

I see arguments saying that Kristen is not confident enough to play Bella and that she is too confident. That sort of makes me think like Jade, that she can't win no matter what. It will always be wrong whatever she does. I know that like DangerMagnet says, no one will be good enough for Edward in the eyes of a lot of people. But for me, Kristen is as close as they get. She is like the Bella Edward fell in love with.
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

I think DangerMagnet has hit it on the head - all of us each have a picture in our heads of how Bella, Edward, Jacob etc. should look like, be played like etc. and possibly no one will ever match our imagination. Actors can try as hard as possible and as long as they show they are trying, respect should be given to them. Playing a character millions of fans have images of and views on is a hard task for any actor to take on.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
Asheleyo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Asheleyo »

Well, I thought both Rob and Kristen missed the mark on their first efforts. Not by a ton, but there were disappointments for me. Rob didn't play Edward as suave and "omniscient" as he comes off in the book. And I think the point that missed most with Kristen's performance was the way she acted around Edward. She seemed too cold and closed off, and played it more like you would see two random teenagers being boyfriend and girlfriend, instead of the intense relationship they shared. Somewhere I remember reading that Kristen wasn't comfortable with all the mushy parts, so they didn't focus as much on the romance in the movie. Maybe I'm mistaken and it was more Catherine's idea than the cast. And I know Rob said that he disagreed with the way that Edward was written because he felt too stony. But that was kind of the point. Rob wanted Edward's random emotions to be more visible. While that's helpful for us to know what he's feeling, it's just not what everyone else sees, and so it shouldn't have been played like that. Anyway, I still thought the performances lacked. They weren't altogether bad, just lacking.

This is why I'm looking forward to New Moon. From what I see of the trailer and sneak peeks, they're both trying to fit their characters more and leaving behind their own personal feelings about the way the role should be played. Or at least that's what I'm hoping.
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

We know that Rob did a lot of preparations for playing Edward, and wanted to do the best job he could. And I am not saying that Twilight was not sadly lacking in the emotional area. I agree with you. Both Bella and Edward appeared too shut off around each other. At first, they were hardly speaking, and then all of a sudden you have the lion and the lamb :roll: But that's hardly the cast's fault. They have to play with the script that they are given. If the script does not tell Kristen to look at Rob with passion in her eyes or kiss him like she's never kissed anyone before, she just can't do it. So the story was lacking in the emotional areas, making it difficult for the cast to make the most of their parts. But I still think that both Rob and Kristen did a good job, and they became Edward and Bella for me through Twilight. And I think that is saying a lot about their acting skills, since I was so disappointed by the script. I think if we had the meadow, we would see a lot more of emotions in both Rob and Kristen's acting.
Asheleyo wrote: This is why I'm looking forward to New Moon. From what I see of the trailer and sneak peeks, they're both trying to fit their characters more and leaving behind their own personal feelings about the way the role should be played. Or at least that's what I'm hoping.
I think they should bring with them their personal feelings about how it should be played. Both Rob and Kristen have read the books. They know what the story means to everybody waiting anxiously for the movie. I think that CW will be paying more attention to the love story, and the big emotional scenes both between Edward and Bella, and Bella and Taylor. Or at least it seems that way in the clips that we've seen. I think in the trailer that Rob looks very detached both at the truck and in the forest, exactly like he should be. Edward shut down, and did not allow himself to even think about staying. I think Rob portrayed that very well.