Discussion of the New Moon Movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Heart_in_Hand
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: I've Seen New Moon! (Spoiler Alert)

Post by Heart_in_Hand »

amethyst wrote: And I REALLY don't understand what's so funny about Alice's vision. I thought it was beautiful and Rob was JUST Edward. I was so freaked out. And Kristen looked beautiful. Though I do agree when others have said that the vision should've just been Bella sparkling because Edward and Bella running (although an amazing scene) didn't really quite fit with the current scene. It felt out of place.

I kinda forgot about that part. I thought it was strange too... but then I thought about it.

Do you remember when Alice said "Believe it or not you can lie with your thoughts?"... well, I always kind of suspected that Alice lied about seeing Bella like them in Volterra, and this vision kind of made that more obvious to me. This vision seemed like something Alice would imagine for Bella and Edward, which is why it seemed so odd I think. For one, Bella was in a dress... :lol:
"Don't be afraid. We belong together."

..."Forever."
theotherStephanie
Wandering Through Town
Location: Really in Washington, sitting under a Madrone tree waiting for Stephenie to finish Midnight Sun

Post by theotherStephanie »

Saw the movie twice today. Now, I have to add my two cents worth even though most of my thoughts are the same or similar to a lot of what I've just read in this thread. As a preamble, when I first saw Twilight I had not read the books and so that movie for me was very troubling. There was just too much that didn't make sense, so then I had to read the books to fill in the blanks. Having said that, there were some things in New Moon that definitely would not make sense if I had never read the books, the most significant of which was the difference in eye color between the good and bad vampires coupled with the concept of feeding from animals. That whole idea was not explained or touched upon. As a stand-alone movie, stuff like that would be confusing to first time viewers, IMHO.

What I liked:
The Wolves: What great renditions! Everything was just great about them.
Jacob: Taylor does a fantastic job.
Emails: Kudos to MR for devising this way to express Bella's desperation and loneliness, while informing the audience of thoughts
and concepts to keep the story moving.
Volturi: Michael Sheen simply nailed Aro! How creepy. I'm looking forward to more of them all in E and BD.
The Brazilian scene: Yes, I agree, pure heartbreak.
The music: Ha! Loved that I've been listening to the songs since the CD was released, and now I know for sure which scene goes with which song. Yea!
Special Effects: Thankfully, better makeup, better eyes, better sparkles, better running, better, better, better. Oh, and did I mention the special effects were better?
Charlie: Can't think of one thing I'd improve here.

What I didn't care for:
The hair: Rosalie, Jasper and to some extent I still want Alice to have short, spikey hair.
Biker scene: Yeah, Bella jumping on that guy's bike didn't fit well, even when one considers the flashback to the drunken guys from last year. Not likely she would do that.
The resuscitation scene: Too lame. 'Nuf said.

There were some behaviors in the books that were so prominent that their absence is sorely missed, namely Bella's hyperventilating and her crying. I thought there would be more of those, instead of the hints that I noticed. Maybe that's just me. Overall I thought the movie was really good, and like all you Twihards out there I'm going to watch and watch and watch, and then get the download when available and watch some more. As someone put it elsewhere, we know there are flaws, but we love it (the movie) anyway.
Carlisle's medical transcriptionist
Edward's piano student
Esme's historic restoration research assistant
Alice's wardrobe consultant
Who knew cold hands could be so HOT??!!
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

I just thought of one thing I wish they had added in... the Valentine's Day/conversation hearts scene.
That is all :)

[edit]I DIDNT KNOW THE SCORE WAS ON ITUNES!!! *downloads*
BlackSun
Settled in Forks

Post by BlackSun »

After seeing New Moon I was pretty disappointed. Why? Because it was too GOOD!. I was expecting 2 hours of laughter and cringing but to my surprise I actually enjoyed it! I was also worried that they would draaaaaag out every scene with Edward and have a condensed version of Jacob/Bella time but it was nicely timed. Of course I can't stop there my cynical opinion must be heard!

PROS
The soundtrack unreal
Make up department hired someone with actual talent who also didn't jump out of a time warp from 1998.
Charlie- So legit
Jasper Got a speaking part, a sense of humour...and a perm!
GRAHAM GREENE!! My obsessive imdb habit failed to warn me Harry Clearwater was none other than the great Graham Greene
Wolf Pack: They got it right except did anyone bother to tell casting department about their average hight...if not could we maybe throw a few camera tricks in there? And they also sound like dinosaurs...?
Forks Friends as per Twilight they totally steal the show, especially Jessica
Kristen Stewart it took me 2/3 of the movie to realize I didn't want to light myself on fire every time she tried to deliver a line, props on a much more natural and watchable performance

CONS
Jacob Melodrama- As a through and through Jacob fan, I found on screen Jake to be a bit of a sap show, Jacob is this wonderfully passionate character but I found they failed to highlight his lightheartedness and humour especially for New Moon. I dont know if it was bad writing or maybe Taylor lacks comedic timing...it just wasnt there. Maybe i set my standards to high because I love the character so much but did anyone else think Jake was too...Edwardy or should I say Taylor was to Roberty? There just wasnt the blatant contrast of characters. On the jacob note...could they not find a brush or some conditioner for that wig...
Robert Pattinson- I didn't think I could like Edward Cullen any less, but somehow Rob manages to accomplish a whole new level of distaste.
Edward Would never get that S*** Kicked in a fight.
Added Scenes- Why? why! Why do they do this? Does it help develop the story to have Bella partake in a motorcycle rendezvous with a sketcho, or to just have Bella uncharacteristically punch Paul in the face? I don't think it should have broken her hand I think it just shouldn't have happened at all. Maybe we could replace these useless changes with things that actually happen in the book. Except I cant even be mad at the Volturi fight scene ...it was pretty sick.
Close-Up Overload- It felt uncomfortable looking up their noses and seeing every pore on everyones face the whole time. It was like having a conversation with a close talker I just wanted to take a few steps back.
ImageImage
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

I saw it for the third time yesterday....
and I can't wait to go again... it's like an addiction....

The movie is getting better everytime you see it...After reading everybody's comments I tryed to pay proper attention to the small things..
- like the pain on edwards face when he leaves her...
- or the anguish on his face when they reunite in Voltera... it looked like he was crying ( which of couse made me cry)
- Bella's eyes in the vision... I just know now that Kris would look so perfect as vampire Bella...
- and still the proposal... i'm just so happy that they put it in it....
i know a lot of people aren't happy with the end, but I am... because it leaves a path for DS to follow and that path is allready perfect....It also make me wanting to see Eclipse even more.....

Due to the movie I have become to love the book.... of the whole serie New Moon was the one book I hated... it made me feel so depressed, unhappy and upset to read it... but to see it now how other it experienced it... make me love the book....
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
CullensGirl14
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by CullensGirl14 »

I saw the movie last night...it was absolutely amazing, easily the best movie of the year!

I loved all of it, especially the passage of time bit at the beginning just after Edward left, so cleverly done.

The e-mails to Alice were brilliant as well, it really let us see what Bella was feeling. There were some really funny lines "Marshmallow" and loads of others that i can't really remember.

The effects were brilliant, it looked so much cleaner than Twilight, especially the running, the werewolves changing, the crack on Edward's face in the fight...there is just so much to say about the movie, how amazing it was, i'm definitely going to see it again with my sis in law...can't wait for the DVD release. Words cannot describe the movie it was just that good!

Definitely converted to Team Jacob now!
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountain, like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow. How did it come to this?
amethyst
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by amethyst »

Heart_in_Hand wrote:
amethyst wrote: And I REALLY don't understand what's so funny about Alice's vision. I thought it was beautiful and Rob was JUST Edward. I was so freaked out. And Kristen looked beautiful. Though I do agree when others have said that the vision should've just been Bella sparkling because Edward and Bella running (although an amazing scene) didn't really quite fit with the current scene. It felt out of place.

I kinda forgot about that part. I thought it was strange too... but then I thought about it.

Do you remember when Alice said "Believe it or not you can lie with your thoughts?"... well, I always kind of suspected that Alice lied about seeing Bella like them in Volterra, and this vision kind of made that more obvious to me. This vision seemed like something Alice would imagine for Bella and Edward, which is why it seemed so odd I think. For one, Bella was in a dress... :lol:
Actually if you read MS, Alice really does have a vision of sparkling Bella. She sees them as bestfriends. She has her arm around Bella and they're both sparkling. So Alice wasn't really lying when she says she had a vision of Bella becoming a vampire.
"I never would have banished him from her society as long as she desired his. . . . . But, till then--if you don't believe me, you don't know me--till then, I would have died by inches before I touched a single hair of his head!"
TeAm_EdWaRd
Wandering Through Town

Post by TeAm_EdWaRd »

Watched it today and LOVED it. New Moon was my least favourite book, that's why I am so happy that the movie did not disappoint me! I really enjoyed it a lot. The acting of everybody was SO MUCH better than in Twilight (although I never complained about that) but you could really see the improvement.

Kristen was AMAZING! I loved her so much, she really did the best job in the movie. Loved how she portrayed the 'broken' Bella! Fantastic performance! <3 She looked so beautiful!

Rob was great and he looked great! Loved his performance, esp. in the break-up-scene. It was so sad, it brought tears to my eyes...

The other actors did a good job too. I LOVE CHARLIE!!! Isn't he the cutest? <3 The Volturi were cool. I loved JANE (Dakota) the most... I wanted to see more from her! :)

There were many awesome scenes in the movie, many funny ones as well! Loved that they did not change much from the book. I must also say that I missed Edward while he was away (just like in the book) and I got a little bored during the Jake scenes. I actually did not hate him (Jake) in the book (I started REALLY hating him in Eclipse) but he was kind of annoying in the movie. L O V E D when Bella saw Alice's (well, it was Carlisle's) car in front of her house, that's when I got so excited again... Bella's running scene was GREAT and then finally the reunion! <3 <3 <3

The effects rocked. The sparkling was much better than in Twilight but it could have been even better... :-P The music = LOVE! What I did not like THAT much were the vampires' eyes. They were too much and made them look so weird IMO! LOL

Oh and btw, the cinema was FULL. There were some pretty strange people and they laughed about things which were not funny at all... LOL Just like some of you already mentioned: What was so funny about Alice's vision of Ed and Bella running through the forest? I did not get it. I thought it was BEAUTIFUL! :)
paula_bnsnt
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Sparkling on sunshine, oooh oooh, and don't it feel good!

Post by paula_bnsnt »

Short comment since I've already said too much and I haven't seen the movie again (YET)!

Doesn't anyone think the vampire eyes were a little bit too much? I mean, in Twilight you barely noticed the color, but in New Moon it's like they're sticking out. They're definately more noticeable, and no one in their right senses would believe the Cullens are human. I'm glad they changed them from the ones they used for Twilight, but I think they overdid it.
That's all... I still love the movie :P
Hit me like a ray of sun
Burning through my darkest night
You're the only one that I want
Think I'm addicted to your light

Team Volturi - Beatrix
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

melting into you wrote:As for the chemistry. Seriously? A lot of you that posted you didn't see it in Twilight? Really?? That kiss when he comes to her room was beyond on fire in Twilight. They have had chemistry from day one, I thought so anyway. :)
I totally agree. I really don't understand it when people said they had no chemistry is Twilight? I mean, in the bedroom kissing scene...it was almost like you were prying into their relationship, it felt so intense. And in New Moon, exactly the same! Especially the kiss on her birthday outside her truck. I appalud Rob & Kristen for doing a SUPERB job!
Stupidshinyvolvowner wrote:I do want to add one thing that I loved. I thought the look on Edward's face as he kissed Bella's forehead right before he left was perfect. You could see how devastating it was for him to leave and I think Rob did a great job in capturing that.
Yes! The look...it kinda broke me. His pain became my pain. Excellent excellent acting for Rob!!

I went to see the movie again today, and I think somehow I loved it even more. I noticed a couple extra things, just wee one-liners that I'd missed before. Like at the vote, when Carlisle is trying to convince Edward that it makes sense to turn Bella, and Edward goes "what are you trying to do to me?" and Carlisle tells him he doesn't want to lose his son. I loved that part. It truly shows how they all deeply care for one another.

And the whole movie from the phonecall onwards just blows me away. I'm so in awe I can't even explain how much I loved it.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!