Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Re: I've Seen New Moon! (Spoiler Alert)

Post by Jazz Girl »

Asheleyo wrote:
Jazz Girl wrote:The most glaring ommission; in the woods, when Edward says, "I'm here until she orders me away." Bella SHOULD SAY, "That's never going to happen," or something along those lines. She assures Edward. That was GLARINGLY absent from the movie, particularly given the fact that she then tells Jacob she loves him (something it took her a movie and then some to work up to with Edward) I'm pretty pissed that they played it out that way, though I do understand why. I just wish they hadn't crossed that particular bridge yet, at least have her qualify it, something... anything. Yes, she loves Jake. Of this we are all aware. But, honestly, Bella is not that fickle.
I agree that that line was quite obvious in it's absence, for those of us who've read. However, I thought she made it up nicely by saying "It's him. It's always been him."

Plus, I didn't get the feel that her "I love you" was a romantic one. I tell my friends I love them. Even in high school I did, and to my closest male friend. It was more of a "You're important to me; I care about you, but..."

Yeah, I completely get that. I tell my best friends I love them all the time, too. I think what it goes to for me is the perception for people who haven't read the novels. I have no idea how it is possible that there are people out there who haven't (though if you read the critical reviews, it's glaringly apparent that THEY have not) read the books on which the movie is based. One of the challenges in bringing these books to life is making them bridge the gap so that they understand. In my mind, that's why the lack of intimacy established by Bella & Edward (at least the perception of it) that plagued Twilight is such an issue. Unless you completely get that, unless you completely see why she cannot live without him and he can't live without her, than the conflict doesn't make sense. and, therefore, the idea that she can and does love these two men in two very different ways doesn't make sense. For it to look uneven at all frontloads Eclipse and Breaking Dawn for problems. I think Chris Weitz did an excellent job of establishing that connection between Bella & Edward in the beginning of the film, but it still seemed very uneven to me at the end. But, again, it isn't CW that I blame, nor Rob or Kristen.

Regardless, I still believe any critic who reviews a book to movie adaptation should be made to read the source material before reviewing the adaptation. It's pretty clear that the critics who have slammed the movie haven't. Ironically, those with good reviews are all at least familiar with the book.

My question to you all, my compatriots, favorite scene? What totally did it for you, made the movie??

For me, there were many. But, Edward in Brazil, as I said was my end all and be all.
Last edited by Jazz Girl on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

When she ran into him and he says "Heaven"
Heart_in_Hand
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Heart_in_Hand »

Amanda Beth wrote:When she ran into him and he says "Heaven"
LOVED that part!!! But I think my ultimate favorite parts were the times when Charlie came into Bella's room to comfort her during her nightmares. I'm such a Daddy's girl, so that really touched me on a personal level.... Now I need to go call my Dad. :)
"Don't be afraid. We belong together."

..."Forever."
Swan
Settled in Forks

I'm an addict

Post by Swan »

I seriously am an addict. I sneaked out every day of the weekend to see the movie and I did this with Twilight as well. I'm a middle aged mom! Do I have some disorder or what!?

That said, this was my favorite book of the series and I loved the movie. The ONLY thing I could change would be when Edward was in Bella's room before the breakup scene. They didn't show him removing all the photos of himself, just looking at her scrapbook. That didn't indicate that she had NO evidence of him existing after he left.

Otherwise I loved every bit of it.
At midday we stumble as if it were twilight; among the strong, we are like the dead. Isaiah 59:10

Then Jonathan said to David: "Tomorrow is the New Moon festival." 1 Samuel 20:18

Its kingdom fell into sudden eclipse. Rev. 16:10
Jazz Girl

Re: I'm an addict

Post by Jazz Girl »

Swan wrote:I seriously am an addict. I sneaked out every day of the weekend to see the movie and I did this with Twilight as well. I'm a middle aged mom! Do I have some disorder or what!?

That said, this was my favorite book of the series and I loved the movie. The ONLY thing I could change would be when Edward was in Bella's room before the breakup scene. They didn't show him removing all the photos of himself, just looking at her scrapbook. That didn't indicate that she had NO evidence of him existing after he left.

Otherwise I loved every bit of it.
Swan~ Nope, no disease or disorder. Just an absolute adoration for something completely worthy of such devotion. And, believe me when I tell you, you aren't the old one. I saw the movie three times this weekend and am planning my 4th, 5th and 6th trips this week, one of which will involve sneaking out of work. :lol:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Favorite part?

The scene where he leaves.

"I'm coming!"

"...I don't want you to come."

...followed by snickering in the audience- mine included. Heavens, couldn't they have chosen different lines for that scene? :roll:

Of course, my younger niece had her favorite parts, as punctuated by her sighs every moment Taylor's abs were on display. :lol:

Hmm... Comments in general...

So much better than Twilight. Big improvements everywhere.

I love how they translated the blank month pages to the screen. (This morning one of my coworkers asked if I finally saw the movie. For my response, I spun in my chair and mumbled "December...")

Is it bad that every time Jacob and Bella were about to get intimate, and get interrupted, I thought... uh... /puts a stop sign in front of a rooster?

The sudden outburst versus Mike was... sudden.

Aro was incredibly creepy. Well done.

Overall, did anyone else get the sense that some characters were just there for the blink of an eye?

They kinda borked the timing of certain events towards the end, but I suppose it works in the movie.

And the ending. That kinda felt tacked on...
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

ringswraith wrote:Favorite part?

"I'm coming!"

...followed by snickering in the audience- mine included. Heavens, couldn't they have chosen different lines for that scene? :roll:
Bad Rings... Bad eHubs!!! :lol: I like to chalk up the snickering to too many people reading lemony fanfiction, where those phrases are often used in VERY different context...*coughTheDominantcough* I just shake my head at the lot of you and give the, "This is the single most heartwrenching moment in this movie, stop fracking it up for those of us who don't have 12-year-old-boy brain.... followed by a small snicker into my hand when it's over cause it is pretty bloody funny !!
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
DramaPrincezz013
Wrestling With Emmett
Location: Bouncing back and forth between Forks and Mystic Falls

Post by DramaPrincezz013 »

ringswraith wrote:Favorite part?

"I'm coming!"

That and Jacob's coming-out-of-the-closet speech

"I didn't choose this, Bella! It's not a lifestyle choice. I was born this way!" :lol:
The ListV2~Apple::::Mafia~Eva DiMarco::::On bunches of teams!
"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be, and I don't wanna go home right now." </3
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

I'm a guy, sue me. :mrgreen:

Besides, I'm fairly certain there were several people of the XX persuasion snickering along with me.
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

^^ :lol: :lol: *snort* :lol: :lol: :lol:
My mom was reading your post over my shoulder, by the way. She just laughed.
I caught the "What happened with Jasper was nothing, Edward!" thanks to the Quotes that Sound Dirty thread. :D

I can see I'm one of the first haters on here (spicey I love you right now), and I hardly hate it. My overall reaction? Vaguely surprised. I think I came into the theater with such low expectations, it turned out to be a lot better than I thought it would be. At the very least, it was infinetly better than Twilight.

Some basic things I liked:
Music- Wow. They did an awesome job with the music. I particularly liked the flute (?) theme when Jacob was running around his house. Annoyed that Meet Me On The Equinox wasn't until the end of the credits, so I had to wait to sing along, but I Belong With You was playing and I could sing then!
The Old People Dream- super triptastic. I'd have peed myself if I were Bella.
At school- I figured out who Mike reminds me of! Shia La Beouf! They don't look alike, but they have similar facial expressions. Mike's just chubbier and not as hot. Jasper got actual lines too, woohoo! The R+J scene was okay, I still liked the couch in the book better.
Birthday- Emmett made me lol. 'Bout the only thing I liked there. Besides the fact that Alice is finally properly perky. And there was gore! YEAH!
Jacob's long hair- Am I the only person who would rather have Taylor with long hair???
Charlie- Oh, Charlie, how I love you. He's a good actor, that man is. So is Harry, for that matter, he made me laugh.
Time Passing- that was well done. The one downer- It doesn't snow in Washington!!!
Jacob Ab's- I think this is getting pretty thouroughly discussed so I won't say much, but I heartily enjoyed all of the butt shots. He wears his pants pretty dang low... "makes the girls go woot woot!"
Jessica- I LOVE how she just blabbers on and on and on and on and on... if Forks had cheerleaders, she'd be their captain. Also enjoyed the title of the movie they watched, zombies FTW.
Motorcycles- GORE! Now, where are the zombies hiding?
Movie Date- Super ROFL! "Marshmallow." was definetly an awesome line. And the movie they were watching? :lol: Like, 20 dead people in 5 seconds, sounds hillarious! They had the Wilhelm scream, too!
Breakup #2- *headdesk* At least Taylor did it amazingly well. Jacob needs a hug. Big, giant hug, and I'll drag him away from the... dirty word!
The Pack- Not as hot as I expected, but still funny. In particular I love Embry, cuz HE has long hair (at one point). Don't you think Quil should have the longer hair, though, since his gramps is a tribe elder?
Jacob vs Paul- :shock: That was beautiful. Here, I cried, and no where else. And I cried out of jealousy.
Emily- I liked her. They did a good job with the scars, and even if she doesn't talk a lot, she still sounds like Emily.
Skipping...
Volterra- The city is beautiful. I think they did a good job with the castle and stuff. The red cloaks and the planquin were a weird cultish touch, but I'll blame that on Chris Weitz. I'm making an assumption he has a similar mindset with Phillip Pullman, but I am probably wrong.
Save The Robert!- Okay, the glitter is still gay. At least its not as bad as it was in Twi. And I'm almost okay with "I love you, I can't live without you" thing happening then. Almost. It shortened up the movie, thankfully.
Shirtless Robert- When he took of his shirt, UGH. I'm surprised I didn't puke. All of my friends and I were yelling, "AGH MY EYES! THEY BURN!". He's almost as hairy as my dad.
The Volturi- Was expecting Demitri to be the tall one, but no biggie. And Alec was HOT, holy crap! Caius still reminds me of Draco Malfoy, Aro is most definetely the spawn of Denethor and Voldemort, with all their ugly and pedo-ness. Jane- super scary, yet I laughed at her.
Robert vs Felix- ROBERT GOT PWNED! And that's all that needs to be said. Ha. Ha. Ha. :twisted:
The Vote- Robert's sooooo whipped. But I was looking forward to the big screen getting ripped in half!
Robert vs. Jake- ROB GOT PWNED AGAIN! HAHAHAHA! *sniffs* Taylor was so good, I'm now in desperate need of a Wolfy!Jake plushie. They HAVE to make one.

Bad things: There were a lot of bad things I didn't like, but I'm going to have to see the movie again before I remember them all, because there was a LOT and this post is huge enough. I'll take extensive notes and make a Bad post after I see it again.
paula_bnsnt wrote: The statue is not from Romeo and Juliet. That's the "Cristo redentor" from Rio de Janeiro, they were just showing were in the world he was.
Actually, it is in Romeo and Juliet. They use it in the Leonardo DiCaprio version, which is where DarkMuse saw it. Verona Beach is set in Rio, I believe. *drools* I love that movie.
Nikki-- wrote:Ah, same here. I went to the midnight showing so I expected everyone there to love the story, but there were many people who were laughing all the way through (including some very emotionel scenes that I loved) and making rude comments. I tried to ignore it but it did bother me.
can'trememberwhosaidthis wrote:There were these really annoying girls who would laugh in parts that REALLY were not funny and everyone would just say "SHUT UP" LOL. Annoyed the hell out of me, I wanted to throw my shoes at them since they were sitting so close.
I apologize. I may not have been in the same theater as you, but I was still among the group of annoying people across the nation who wouldn't shut up. But I can't help that it was so ridiculously cheesy, I had to snort!